Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Really Horrible Horizon Tilt
2330 24 2017-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 923114 ft
United Kingdom

I flew today and whilst panning around on a shot I noticed really horrible horizon tilt come into play. What is that all about? I thought the whole point of a gimbal was to keep the horison level! Any suggestions or is my aircraft faulty?  Should i log this issue with DJI support.  I can post footage.
2017-3-14
Use props
Propwash
First Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Had you carried out any calibrations at all.If not check your manuel for calibration procedures.
2017-3-14
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11634 ft
United States

Don't mean to sound insensitive, but there are a zillion threads on this problem with squillions of replies... do a search and you'll find them...
2017-3-14
Use props
Rafe Hracek
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9121 ft

United States

At the start of each flight, I'd go up about 150 feet or until horizon is visible and adjust it accordingly by going to Gimbal Settings > Adjust Gimbal Roll
2017-3-14
Use props
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Many thanks for the replies.  All appreciated.  This is my second Phantom, after my P3 Advanced and there seems to be all sorts of things that were never an issue with that much cheaper older model and whilst there may be lots of replies I do feel that DJI ought to see these issues being raised.  It's just not good enough!  The aircraft should not have to be brought back to ground simply just to do a gimbal alignment and users should not be expected to keep track of the horizon whilst flying and filming at the same time.  It's just not good enough! I've spent 3 times the amount that the P3 Advanced cost and I'm beginning to wonder if it needs sending back as not fit for purpose.

2017-3-14
Use props
Bullflyer
Second Officer

Spain

For this reason, and a few more, I am waiting to acquire a P4P ......,
Probably when I decide to buy it, the P5 will appear. And the story will start again. This situation is not serious. I do not want to buy something that maybe works well, or maybe not. You can not manufacture something and put it on sale to the public, without having tested it enough, and have corrected all these faults. It is not a cheap toy.
2017-3-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I had this issue with both my P4 and P4P. Following upgrade of my P4P (and RC) to the latest firmware, I performed a VPS calibration and then a gimbal calibration (only), and my flights since have maintained a perfect horizon.

That leaves my P4. I have discovered that when I lose horizon integrity, if I yaw to the left 360 and let it hover for a few seconds (I haven't tested the consistency of a right yaw yet), then the horizon auto levels - it's visible on the videos I've taken. Now if you try this, and it doesn't work for you, then don't shoot the messenger. Just sharing what appears to work for me on the off-chance that it'll work for you too.
2017-3-14
Use props
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-3-14 13:40
For this reason, and a few more, I am waiting to acquire a P4P ......,
Probably when I decide to buy it, the P5 will appear. And the story will start again. This situation is not serious. I do not want to buy something that maybe works well, or maybe not. You can not manufacture something and put it on sale to the public, without having tested it enough, and have corrected all these faults. It is not a cheap toy.

I shall not be buying another DJI new model!
2017-3-14
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

I wonder if it depends how the update has been performed? I too now have the horizon tilt, I updated firmware via the app on my iPad, I wonder if others who updated via the assistant 2 on the pc have got the same issues of the tilt, if I revolve the bird around the tilt is very noticeable but if I leave it in same position it gradually levels out after about 30 seconds
2017-3-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2017-3-16 10:59
I wonder if it depends how the update has been performed? I too now have the horizon tilt, I updated firmware via the app on my iPad, I wonder if others who updated via the assistant 2 on the pc have got the same issues of the tilt, if I revolve the bird around the tilt is very noticeable but if I leave it in same position it gradually levels out after about 30 seconds

I updated through the app and everything seems ok so far.
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

With the Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional models, doing a cold drone IMU and gimbal calibration has helped many fix and maintain a perfectly level horizon.

I don't know if that same procedure would help correct your drones crooked gimbal.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I have not done an IMU only a gimbal calibration, tomorrow I will do both, only problem that is letting it down at the moment:-(
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2017-3-16 12:19
I have not done an IMU only a gimbal calibration, tomorrow I will do both, only problem that is letting it down at the moment:-(

Ok, wishing you good luck, hope that it works. Fingers crossed. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2017-3-16 10:59

Snowy, I summed up my thoughts re horizon level issues in a post today in this thread:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D386%26typeid%3D386

Nothing new perhaps, but it seems to be working for me.
2017-3-16
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.4
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

Zeldon50 Posted at 2017-3-14 10:53
Don't mean to sound insensitive, but there are a zillion threads on this problem with squillions of replies... do a search and you'll find them...

Although I agree there are a lot of redundant posts regarding this problem I also feel the more there are the harder it is to deny. Hopefully it's something DJI gets serious about correcting.
2017-3-16
Use props
Sestaceans
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

You don't mention what drone you have, however since the horizon tilt on the PhantomPro4+ has not been fixed yet, I'm guessing this is your drone?
If so, then yes, there is a well documented horizon till for the Phantom 4 Pro +.  I personally have rigged up a system that balances the gimbal a little better,  and it works somewhat better then the firmware edition.  If it's the standard P4Pro then you should do all of your general calibrations and if the problem persits send it back immeaditely and get it fixed or get your money back.  Apparently you only have a 7 day window.  Just got one of mine back and am sending off the other,  will let you know if they are actually getting fixed or just going in a circle.  Good luck (and let us know what drone you are flying).
2017-3-17
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I have a p4p  and the tilt is quite bad, I have done a vps set up today, I didn't do a IMU as it was not telling me it needed to be done, I will have another fly in next few days see if any better
2017-3-17
Use props
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Sestaceans Posted at 2017-3-17 00:44
You don't mention what drone you have, however since the horizon tilt on the PhantomPro4+ has not been fixed yet, I'm guessing this is your drone?
If so, then yes, there is a well documented horizon till for the Phantom 4 Pro +.  I personally have rigged up a system that balances the gimbal a little better,  and it works somewhat better then the firmware edition.  If it's the standard P4Pro then you should do all of your general calibrations and if the problem persits send it back immeaditely and get it fixed or get your money back.  Apparently you only have a 7 day window.  Just got one of mine back and am sending off the other,  will let you know if they are actually getting fixed or just going in a circle.  Good luck (and let us know what drone you are flying).

I think the post was entered in the P4 Pro section, as it's a P4 Pro with the DJI Pro+ controller.  So its an in-documented feature then :-) We technies call those bugs in the real world! haha

I am expecting DJI to fix it  - or it's going back!!
2017-3-19
Use props
Sestaceans
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

CharlesWhiteman Posted at 2017-3-19 01:27
I think the post was entered in the P4 Pro section, as it's a P4 Pro with the DJI Pro+ controller.  So its an in-documented feature then :-) We technies call those bugs in the real world! haha

I am expecting DJI to fix it  - or it's going back!!

It's not hard to guess these things when you know they are bugs!   The P4Pro+ is a hot mess.  Mine just left the station back to California
2017-3-19
Use props
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.3
United Kingdom

This is after, firmware refresh and imu and gimbal refresh

Photo of Tiled Horizon

Photo of Tiled Horizon
2017-3-20
Use props
RodneyDangerous
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-3-20
Use props
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I gave up on that and decided to try Active Tracking.  At least one feature that works! And if i ever meet someone from DJI - a parody!

2017-3-20
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
Second Officer
Netherlands

First chance I have been able to fly because of the high winds, just to recap, Horizon was perfect out the box, I done the latest firmware update and it then developed the bad horizon tilt, I done a VPS only, no IMU and flew the bird today and all was level.
2017-3-28
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2017-3-28 14:13
First chance I have been able to fly because of the high winds, just to recap, Horizon was perfect out the box, I done the latest firmware update and it then developed the bad horizon tilt, I done a VPS only, no IMU and flew the bird today and all was level.

Great to hear. That's all I did with my P4P and the latest update - horizon all good since.
2017-3-28
Use props
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-28 16:13
Great to hear. That's all I did with my P4P and the latest update - horizon all good since.

mine has been better but by no means fully accectable. atrocious compared to the performance of the same with my Phantom 3 Advanced, which I actually miss!

tilted horizon photo.jpg
2017-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules