Severe Drifting Problem
845 11 2017-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
YamaHammerYT
lvl.1

United States

Had my Phantom for a good while, always worked flawlessly. As of this morning, it will not hold a hover. In GPS mode, it just sort of flies around aimlessly all on its own without any stick input.

Video of the issue:   

Before you ask, I HAVE ALREADY:

- Calibrated the IMU (Both basic and Advanced) (multiple times)
- Re-updated the controller firmware
- tried multiple batteries
- calibrated the compass (multiple times)
- checked transmitter calibration

Additional Details:

- I have flown in this location MANY times before without issue, and in both colder and warmer weather.
- This drone has NEVER been crashed since I owned it. The most severe impact it has had was when it refused to land in the video.
- All motors turn freely and with equal resistance
- All props are clean and undamaged, and are the same ones I have always used
- This was filmed in light wind with only one reasonable gust, which caused the phantom to have an absolute fit.
- I'm reading a minimum of 7 satellites, more often with more than 8 while this is occuring. Clear, unobstructed skies.
- There are NO errors showing in the helper software, and everything apparently SHOULD be working fine.

Oh, I should also mention that the altitude display seems a little screwy. When I checked, it was showing the ground (Exact spot I started it up in and took off from) at ~-3m, spastically swapping between 0 and ~3 depending. Just seemed very questionably accurate.

It acts as though the GPS isn't working properly, and sometimes (as you can see after the gust of wind), it seems to be flying with no GPS stabilization at all.

Causes, fixes, general knowledge on the issue would be great. I've seen TONS of cases of nearly the exact same behavior in research, but no solutions beyond "Return it to the store!"
Thanks in advance, guys.
2017-3-15
Use props
YamaHammerYT
lvl.1

United States

(Just a note, the ND filter mentioned is NOT on the camera in this video, so weight should be identical to when it was flying perfectly)
2017-3-15
Use props
Commodon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347677 ft
United States

Are you using DJI Go 4 as the application for RC? Second, how many GPS satellites does it reflect?
2017-3-15
Use props
Commodon
lvl.2
United States

I just watched the video, and heard you reference seven satellites visible. Based on my observation, it looks like there is an issue with acquiring a GPS lock. Aside from this,  it sounds to be really windy, which as we know will toss the bird around in ATTI mode. It looks like there is an issue maintaining its position.
2017-3-15
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Are they doing GPS testing in your area?? Also have you used UAV forcast??
2017-3-15
Use props
YamaHammerYT
lvl.1

United States

Commodon Posted at 2017-3-15 10:47
I just watched the video, and heard you reference seven satellites visible. Based on my observation, it looks like there is an issue with acquiring a GPS lock. Aside from this,  it sounds to be really windy, which as we know will toss the bird around in ATTI mode. It looks like there is an issue maintaining its position.

It was not very windy in the immediate area that I was flying. Tried and was easily able to hold a reasonable hover in ATTI. I've seen demonstrations in 30mph winds (versus maybe 10 here) that showed a more stable hover. I'd agree that it appears to be a GPS issue of some sort.
2017-3-15
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

Commodon Posted at 2017-3-15 10:44
Are you using DJI Go 4 as the application for RC? Second, how many GPS satellites does it reflect?

Phantom 2 isn't compatible with neither DJI GO 4 or DJI GO
2017-3-15
Use props
YamaHammerYT
lvl.1

United States

Bump bump.
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

To clarify, what are you using for OSD display? Have you upgraded firmware recently?
2017-3-16
Use props
YamaHammerYT
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-16 21:40
To clarify, what are you using for OSD display? Have you upgraded firmware recently?

Unsure. Previous owner did all the upgrades. Went through and made sure all firmware was up to date through the helper app for Mac.
2017-3-19
Use props
Commodon
lvl.2
United States

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-3-15 11:32
Phantom 2 isn't compatible with neither DJI GO 4 or DJI GO

I just realized that, he is using a "Phantom 2".
2017-3-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

YamaHammerYT Posted at 2017-3-19 21:11
Unsure. Previous owner did all the upgrades. Went through and made sure all firmware was up to date through the helper app for Mac.

Since you mentioned that you're able to get satellite information, what are you using for OSD information or are you just going by the LED indicators on the aircraft? Do you have the GoPro's bluetooth enabled? Having it enabled can cause interference. Just to clarify, what version of the Assistant software are you running on your Mac?
2017-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules