Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Tip to avoid crashes into obstacles when yawing camera in free mode
1040 10 2017-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

This note is relevant for single operator Inspire 2 pilots who also fly, or have moved from Phantom or Mavic platforms. Always FLY FORWARD when tracking an object and in free mode.
With these aircraft, if you want to take a shot where you fly away from your subject, you will have to fly backwards. You are blind to what's behind and generally, this is fine if there are no high obstacles like trees, a building, tower or hill. With at P4P, the rear-facing sensors will protect against a collision in they are turned on. With a Mavic or a non-P4P Phantom, you have to be extra careful if you have active track / course lock on and are tracking an object while moving the craft backward.

The Inspire 2 has forward and sides covered by sensors but it lacks a backward sensor (as well as sideways sensors) that the P4P has. So the way to do a backward flight or a tracking flight is to fly forward with the gimbal camera facing backward - NOT THE OTHER WAY.

Recently, I nearly crashed into a hill in unfamiliar terrain because I was flying forward (in FREE mode) and focusing my attention on the main camera (which was pointing backward). Fortuntely, obstacle avoidance was on as I wasn't paying attention to the front facing camera! I could also have noted the radar display but I didn't.

It would have been a disaster if I were in follow mode and flying backwards into the hill.

So each craft is flown slightly differently.

I hope you find this useful....

(edited to included sideways sensor mention for P4P as pointed out by SkyClip)
2017-3-15
Use props
Skyclip
Second Officer
Flight distance : 347940 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi Mike!

Good reminder for new Inspire 2 Pilots.
Except that the Inspire 2 doesnt have sidewards obstacle avoidance like the P4P has.
You should change that in your Text. Not that people blame you. ;-)
2017-3-16
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

Skyclip Posted at 2017-3-16 00:01
Hi Mike!

Good reminder for new Inspire 2 Pilots.

OK. Thanks. I have edited the OP and credited you
2017-3-16
Use props
Coigreach
Second Officer
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Hi Mike,
Can you please tell me "The Inspire 2 has forward and sides covered by sensors" how does it cover the sides when it has 2 front 2 upward and 2 downward sensors?
Maybe I just missed it in the manual.
Thanks
Karl
2017-3-16
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

MTC
Nice tip
Thanks for sharing this information with us. It is very useful to talk about the sensors on the different aircraft and how we should use them. Things can get pretty busy between flying and camera operations...

Rich
2017-3-16
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-3-16 09:23
MTC
Nice tip
Thanks for sharing this information with us. It is very useful to talk about the sensors on the different aircraft and how we should use them. Things can get pretty busy between flying and camera operations...

Indeed Rich, which is why constant practice makes for better footage. The amount of information one has to process with the increased flexibility of different flight modes and camera settings is indeed high
2017-3-16
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

Or you could just fly with an appropriate level of visibility and situational awareness.

Just sayin...
2017-3-16
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-3-16 18:20
Or you could just fly with an appropriate level of visibility and situational awareness.

Just sayin...

Probably the best advice yet Farnk! Look where you're going!

Mark G.
2017-3-18
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-3-18 01:39
Probably the best advice yet Farnk! Look where you're going!

;-)

Hope you're well Mark.

Safe flying
2017-3-18
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-3-18 05:01
;-)

Hope you're well Mark.