Advice before it happens..
1354 23 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R1Mavic
lvl.1
United States

Hello - I am a beginner pilot.  I've had my Mavic less than a week and have been flying it around my neighborhood no further away than I can see it.  I'm still timid and don't want to crash it.  I have been reading a lot of crash posts on here to make sure I don't make those same mistakes.  However, there have been so many posts about the Mavic going into ATTI mode and just flying away.  Upon disconnection from the Mavic or ATTI mode just happens...what should I do?
2017-3-16
Use props
Ttony1976
lvl.2
Flight distance : 791562 ft
United Kingdom

Make sure you set your home point every time before flying away, That way if connection is lost the drone will return to the home point.
2017-3-16
Use props
R1Mavic
lvl.1
United States

Ttony1976 Posted at 2017-3-16 06:50
Make sure you set your home point every time before flying away, That way if connection is lost the drone will return to the home point.

What about ATTI mode on its own?
2017-3-16
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

ATTI mode should be manageable for the pilot.  The Mavic will be more unstable and might drift  some depending on wind conditions. You have to undertand the stick input and how the AC reacts  But some cases has been reported when the ACand RC lose conneciton. Thats a completly different ballgame. When tha Mavic dont have connection with the RC it shold RTH. But thats not always the case.
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic doesn't just fly away when it goes into ATTI mode, it will drift with the wind.
And since you are a beginner I would not be flying in your neighborhood. You should be in a large open area.
And if there ever is a RC disconnection it doesn't go into ATTI mode, it will go into RTH mode and you must make sure your RTH settings are set to your flight environment.
I'd advise to study and understand the entire manual and watch all the tutorial in the Academy section of the app.
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Well, first of all I haven't noticed as many cases of what I call BATTI (Bad Attitude) mode being discussed lately, so maybe it somehow got fixed but even if not it always seemed to be a relatively rare occurrence. I personally haven't encountered the BATTI problem but like you I was concerned with the possibility and came to the conclusion that I basically have two options, though these are based on what may be an incorrect assumption: that I could still control altitude. Assuming that's correct the options (aside from doing nothing) are:

• Increase altitude in the hope that the problem will go away as spontaneously as it appeared and that the aircraft will still be in range so that it you can bring it back or that it will RTH on its own. The risk here, though, is that the altitude increase will allow it to fly away and never be seen again and perhaps even injure someone or something.
  • Decrease altitude so that your aircraft can't fly away on its own. Essentially, you'd be forcing it to crash since the assumption is that it's partly or completely out of control other than the ability to change altitude. This ensures that you know where it goes down and might be the best option, especially if you have Care Refresh or something similar.

In practice, though, I don't really worry about it. I like to be prepared but at this point after hundreds of flights I don't consider this a likely scenario, and statistically it seems that you probably will never encounter it either.

2017-3-16
Use props
R1Mavic
lvl.1
United States

Got it.  So make sure I set my RTH before each flight.  If it goes into ATTI on its own, it will be a bit more difficult to handle, but it's still under my control.  Thanks for advice.  I rather ask "simple" questions before I have a tragedy.
2017-3-16
Use props
R1Mavic
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-16 07:04
Well, first of all I haven't noticed as many cases of what I call BATTI (Bad Attitude) mode being discussed lately, so maybe it somehow got fixed but even if not it always seemed to be a relatively rare occurrence. I personally haven't encountered the BATTI problem myself but like you I was concerned with the possibility and came to the conclusion that I basically have two options, though these are based on what may be an incorrect assumption: that I could still control altitude. Assuming that's correct the options (aside from doing nothing) are:

Your post gave me hope and scared me all at the same time.  LOL
2017-3-16
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Since we can't switch manually to ATTI  with the Mavic I bought a cheap hubsan  to improve my skills. It a  small quick and nervous little drone. When flying in some wind you really learn how to handle the AC.
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

R1Mavic Posted at 2017-3-16 07:17

Well for what it's worth I think I've seen more people who experienced this say that they DID recover without crashing than those who didn't -- and again, it's always been a rare occurrence to begin with.

A little fear is a good thing when flying because it'll keep you on your toes, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over the (increasingly infrequent) reports of spontaneous BATTI mode where the Mavic suddenly becomes almost unflyable.
2017-3-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

When it goes into BATTI mode it retains its altitude so the first thing I do is get above all surrounding objects and it gives you time to think about what your doing but I haven't had this problem since the day of the last firmware update so maybe the have resolved this problem by reducing the power as its certainly slower since then even thou they say it isn't but if it makes it more stable its acceptable as its still quick enough.
2017-3-16
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

To correct a drift in ATTI (Which should not happen in normal conditions) the best you can do is:

1- Don't panick!
2- Realize in which direction is your drone drifting
3- Make the drone rotate to face the wind. Ie: If your dron is drifting to the right, you should turn left, so the nose faces the wind.
4- Apply the stick forward to counter the wind until you find a nearly hovering position
5- Decide if it's best to land there or try to get back.

On top of everything, don't try to rush yourself. This is not a race, you need to feel comfortable with the drone, its movements, the sticks, etc before attempting more difficult things.  Curb your enthusiasm and try to enjoy every flight.
2017-3-16
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

So far I have..about 50 flights on my Mavic? At least 3 of them over 3 miles away in distance? I've yet to experience a loss of GPS satellites down to the point where it's shifted into ATTI mode.
Not discounting others' experiences, I just dont think it's the norm to lose that many satellites once you've locked them in.
2017-3-16
Use props
Riotcontrol
lvl.3
United States

The next thing I would do is get insurance through State Farm!  should be around $60 for a full year of insurance and it covers theft, damage, loss etc.
2017-3-16
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-3-16 07:52
So far I have..about 50 flights on my Mavic? At least 3 of them over 3 miles away in distance? I've yet to experience a loss of GPS satellites down to the point where it's shifted into ATTI mode.
Not discounting others' experiences, I just dont think it's the norm to lose that many satellites once you've locked them in.

Its definitely not the norm when the Mavic goes into atti mode as I dropped 19 satellites in 7 seconds and its really difficult to control and nothing like a Phantom in  atti mode but the issue seems to be resolved with the latest firmware as its been stable since until I crashed it this week but that was completely Pilot error and its sent back for repair
2017-3-16
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-3-16 07:52

I know, I don't know what a lot of the complaints on this forum are about. It's got to be a common thread, the pilot

Squatting in the middle of a bunch of trees, don't even bother to orient the antenna and see lower 20s to 40s for signal @ 3000 feet out.
2017-3-16
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Attitude mode is very easy to control , just don't panic . It is nothing like full manual mode on a race quad or helicopter . The Mavic still self levels and holds altitude it just doesn't have GPS to tell it to stay in a certain spot over the ground . All you have to do is move the right stick in the direction you want it to go . It's best to look at the screen and pretend you are the pilot in the pilot seat so right is right , left is left and forward/back are just as you move the sticks . If for some reason you have lost video feed , again don't panic , the Mavic is level and fine just drifting the way the wind blows . It's best in this case to long press the RTH button and let it come home . If it is really windy put it into Sport mode and RTH so it can fight the wind better .
2017-3-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

R1Mavic Posted at 2017-3-16 07:17

Atti mode is really simple to fly unless your in a very strong wind, as you are a beginner, keep your Mavic in sight I would say 100/200 meters, if it goes into Atti it will stay at the same height but will drift with the wind, all you have to do to counteract this it to fly it back into the wind, while doing this check out a safe place to land, you can and should always have more than one safe place to land if anything goes wrong, you should be aware of this before you take off.
Once you are gaining control of the AC and have a safe place to land, lower the aircraft remember you will always be fighting the drift so take your time don't panic preform all of this as slowly as possible, it's not rocket science it's something you will get a feel for quickly.

I would also do as djiken suggest go buy a small syma these are great for practice and have no gps so it's all Atti. I have two you can crash them into almost anything and there great hand eye coordination with sticks and eye.

Good luck..
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-3-16 09:32
Attitude mode is very easy to control , just don't panic . It is nothing like full manual mode on a race quad or helicopter . The Mavic still self levels and holds altitude it just doesn't have GPS to tell it to stay in a certain spot over the ground . All you have to do is move the right stick in the direction you want it to go . It's best to look at the screen and pretend you are the pilot in the pilot seat so right is right , left is left and forward/back are just as you move the sticks . If for some reason you have lost video feed , again don't panic , the Mavic is level and fine just drifting the way the wind blows . It's best in this case to long press the RTH button and let it come home . If it is really windy put it into Sport mode and RTH so it can fight the wind better .

Attitude mode is very easy to control

Agreed, but at least some of the people who've experienced the Mavic's spontaneous ATTI (or "BATTI") and who have experience with true ATTI mode (e.g., the Phantom's user-selectable version) say that this is something different -- hence the distinction I make. Those folks include The Rev and Drone-Flies-YOU, both of whom said it was harder to control than they'd expect in a "true" ATTI mode.
2017-3-16
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-16 09:47

Agreed, but at least some of the people who've experienced the Mavic's spontaneous ATTI (or "BATTI") and who have experience with true ATTI mode (e.g., the Phantom's user-selectable version) say that this is something different -- hence the distinction I make. Those folks include The Rev and Drone-Flies-YOU, both of whom said it was harder to control than they'd expect in a "true" ATTI mode.

There's definitely bugs, like when you drop out of poi and have free gimbal control set in litchi. You are stuck in a course lock along the poi route. I found a quick rth and cancel puts you back in fpv.

But these are bugs new flyers are not going to experience. They are just flying around into trees fpv and stuff. Far as atti, it's good on on mine. I noticed on v 1.3 of the firmware, it did act very sluggish in atti mode indoors, why went back to 1.2.9. The weather was so bad, I did a lot of indoor testing over winter.

Don't forget the drone has opti mode too. So if you can get the mavic down low enough, it should lock onto the ground. I don't have drops in gps outdoors, so can't relate really. Sometimes get 20 sats outside.
2017-3-16
Use props
R1Mavic
lvl.1
United States

Thank you all!!!
2017-3-16
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-16 09:47

If you want to experience TRUE attitude mode safely then Google the FREE sims Hotprops or Liftoff and practice on a laptop with a gamepad . You may even be able to use the Mavic controller .

http://www.hotprops-fpv-race.com/download/

http://www.liftoff-game.com/

You can even learn full manual mode.
It never hurts to practice , even if you are never going to get a race drone
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-3-16 13:59
If you want to experience TRUE attitude mode safely then Google the FREE sims Hotprops or Liftoff and practice on a laptop with a gamepad . You may even be able to use the Mavic controller .

http://www.hotprops-fpv-race.com/download/

Thanks, but I've actually flown the Mavic in (true) ATTI mode; all it takes is a little aluminum foil over the rear of the aircraft and disabling VPS within the app.
2017-3-16
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-16 14:09
Thanks, but I've actually flown the Mavic in (true) ATTI mode; all it takes is a little aluminum foil over the rear of the aircraft and disabling VPS within the app.

Yeah I think I was the first one to do that but i'll tell you right now , DJI ATTItude mode is Way easier than other flight controllers ,lol
2017-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules