Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NEW LAWS CANADA
6604 102 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mustang1993
lvl.1

Canada

A few points that I'd like to add to the discussion.

Joining MAAC and flying on their fields or events is still legal at least.
FPV racers have the option of racing indoors.  Some but not all MAAC fields are welcoming FPV racers as well.
Videographers are the ones that are most restricted by the new laws.
The 250 gram limit is useless as you can't fly those outdoors in the slightest breeze.
Keep in mind that TC doesn't need a reason to do anything.
There is a lot of misinformation or Fake News as it's now known about everything.
If your lucky enough to live near property outside of the 9 km restriction and you can find a 500 m radius to fly and can get the property owner's permission and there's no buildings vehicles or animals around you can also fly.  Only the animal restriction would be difficult in my view.  I've sent an email to TC asking for clarification on a lot of the new laws but so far no reply.
There is also the option of getting an area sanctioned by MAAC as well.  The only down side of this is cost.  Those of low to no income are hurt far more than others
Those that live in large cities have far less options to fly as well.

If enough of us join together we can get things improved.  It's called Lobbying.  Call you MP your local government talk to your neighbors and address the public's fears.  Get Involved
2017-4-17
Use props
Da Lata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1008297 ft

Brazil

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 17:57
What makes you think that? Quite the contrary actually. I can take off from one of the three full sized launch pads and fly several miles away, in 360* of directions.  Pretty hard to get bored of our beautiful country sides. Especially from above, where you can see for miles and miles away. No never boring, or the same ol' same, for me. Plus with four distinct seasons, the landscape is constantly changing colour.

My friend, I totally agree with you. But suppose that you will travel to another place in this beautiful country that is Canada and the place does not have an RC Flying club, How would you store your memories in movies and photos made by your drone?
I'm also a modeler, I love my gliders, my spitfire made in perfect scale and my zagis but my phantom I do not see as a model aircraft but I see as a flying tripod for my camera!
I would be very sad that I could not use my camera early in the morning (everybody on bed) to film a bridge or any other build in my city.

2017-4-17
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

I own 15 acres in Canada and the govt can stick their law you knows were, just try to come on my property... PS No airports
2017-4-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Da Lata Posted at 2017-4-17 11:54
My friend, I totally agree with you. But suppose that you will travel to another place in this beautiful country that is Canada and the place does not have an RC Flying club, How would you store your memories in movies and photos made by your drone?
I'm also a modeler, I love my gliders, my spitfire made in perfect scale and my zagis but my phantom I do not see as a model aircraft but I see as a flying tripod for my camera!
I would be very sad that I could not use my camera early in the morning (everybody on bed) to film a bridge or any other build in my city.

I will utilize my Nikon D800 with 80-400mm lens more frequently, if I am forbidden to fly in those areas ;-)
But Alberta has vast wilderness that can be drone recorded...  Away from prying eyes. Haha

Finishing my Align TRex 700E DFC HV for ultimate thrills....

RedHotPoker
2017-4-18
Use props
FrankAN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 199278 ft
Canada

All Canadians should sign this petition against these ridiculous laws. Now is the time to be heard!

http://click.exacttarget.change. ... 40477fadb8f56fc5ffa
2017-4-18
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

Yeah, its gonna take 7 figure signatures to make them change the laws back after

Flight crew spots drone flying near Ottawa airport
2017-4-20
Use props
JW5255
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Bourgeois Posted at 2017-4-20 03:41
Yeah, its gonna take 7 figure signatures to make them change the laws back after

Flight crew spots drone flying near Ottawa airport

I would have reported this drone flyer myself.  Here is a hint to know if you flying your drone on a runway  approach:  "There are low flying aircraft going over your head !".  No form of legislation will stop an imbecile that would do this sort of thing.  Seriously hope this character gets caught red handed.

As a private pilot, with most of my aircraft flying done in the maritimes and the Ottawa Region, I have always had up to date copy the local VFR charts for Montreal and Moncton Regions. These charts show the location and runway orientation of all airports as well as the limits of their respect control zones. Most larger airports also have ILS approach plates, which give the altitudes, direction and ground path of aircraft using runway ILS services, and are often used in VFR conditions as well. When I fly my P4 drone, I never fly inside a airport control zone and totally avoid the path of runway approach headings by at least 5 nm from the runway threshold. I find the DJI NFZ data to be good, but way too general; as they seem too restrictive in some aspects, and too liberal in others.

ILS - Instrument Landing Service
IFR - Instrument Flying Rules
VFR - Visual Flying Rules

VFR charts are available on line from Transport Canada, e.g.

AIR5003 MONCTON VNC $16.50
AIR5002 MONTREAL VNC $16.50

familiarity with these charts/rules would go a long way to relieve concerns of both aircraft and drone pilots.

2017-4-20
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

its truely a shame that it only takes one idiot with a uav to splash the "paint" on those of us who fly safely and use complete common sense.
2017-4-20
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

Call me a tinfoil hat conspiracy nut, but this law just typifies the Trudeau government: Avoid doing anything of substance, especially things like electoral reform, which were actually campaign promises. Instead, introduce vacuous, pointless laws to address total non-issues. Then take some selfies, talk PC and virtue signal some more while doing nothing.
2017-4-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Trudeau was voted in for only one reason that I know of.
He proclaimed new cannabis legislation, across the land, from sea to shining sea...
Fulfilling a Pierre Elliot Trudeau promise...

Someone needs to send our young Prime Minister a new high,  in a DJI Phantom... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-22
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

If u fly 85 meters +, above a person are u adhering to the law that u have to be 85 meters away from people
2017-5-12
Use props
LonelyCorpro
New
Canada

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-3-16 07:56
The poorly written language of these rules do not restrict flying within urban areas or over structures, people or animals.  That's likely their intention, but they would fail when challenged in a court room.

As this is currently written, if you are flying at a height of 90 meters, you can fly over structures, people or animals provided they are not higher than 15 meters.  (Which would cover almost everything but structures higher than four stories) You are abiding by the rules.

I believe you are right, however unless you took off and landed in an area outside of 75m from a building, car, animal, or person then you would have to break the rules by taking off and landing alone. In that case your defense would fall apart in court. It is possible though to take off farther than 75m from those objects and simply fly over them higher than 75m then return to your original position. In this case your defense should hold up in my opinion.
2017-6-7
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

I think you need to be 75m laterally, so at 90m directly above a vehicle for instance , you would be 0m "away" , and breaking the law.
2017-6-8
Use props
LiViA
New
Flight distance : 45876 ft
United States

FFS Posted at 2017-3-16 20:09
Since this law basically makes it illegal to fly anywhere in Canada, and since our National Parks ban the use of drones altogether we basically can't fly anywhere. That said, I will continue to fly safe, but now more covertly with my quickly deployed Mavic. These rules are draconian and I will not abide.

That's what happens when you don't keep your govt in check instead of the other way around.
2017-11-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

LiViA Posted at 2017-11-1 19:01
That's what happens when you don't keep your govt in check instead of the other way around.

That's laughable coming from someone in the USA.
2017-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-1 21:36
That's laughable coming from someone in the USA.

Yes, it made me laugh. Hahaha

Hopefully, when World War 3 breaks out, a lot of things will be more important.
Yes, much more than worrying about a hobby grade drone...

RedHotPoker

2017-11-1
Use props
repairman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2017-3-16 13:00
If the same hysteria was applied to teenage drivers.....there would not be a driver under 25 on Earth.

How many people have been killed by hobby drones?

cessna 172,you are 100% correct. they seem to focus more on less important stuff.
2017-11-2
Use props
RADROCKET
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1110827 ft
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-3-16 07:39
This is the end. My only friend, the end.

This is the end. My only friend, the end.
JIM MORRISON AND THE DOORS, good one
2017-11-2
Use props
djiuser_d4JU4hOzGjSM
New

Canada

As a biginnerish drone pilot, I have noticed lots of regulations and stuff but am very confused if I am exempt from them or if they apply to me. I have a Phantom 4, live in Duncan, British Columbia and I am not sure if I am even allowed to fly here due to the restrictions taking up most of the town. Could someone clear up my confusion if possible?
2019-1-9
Use props
Maritimer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106673 ft
Canada

How much do phantoms weight?
2019-1-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I shared these new reg’s yesterday.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-177261-1-2.html

Minister Garneau unveils Canada’s new drone safety regulations
News releaseDrone pilots to register their drones and obtain a pilot certificate by June 1, 2019
January 9, 2019             Ottawa              Transport Canada
Transport Canada is committed to enhancing aviation and public safety while encouraging innovation and economic growth in the drone sector. Today, the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, announced Canada’s new rules for remotely piloted aircraft systems, more commonly known as drones.
The new rules, which will come into force on June 1, 2019, apply to all drone pilots flying drones between 250 grams and 25 kilograms that are operated within the drone pilot’s visual-line-of-sight, regardless of whether the drone is flown for fun, work or research.
The new simplified rules reflect significant consultations with Canadians and the industry. The final regulations introduce two main categories of drone operation: basic and advanced. The categories are based on distance from bystanders and airspace rules.
Both categories have their own set of easy-to-follow rules that will require the drone pilot to:
register and mark the drone with its registration number;
pass an online exam and get a pilot certificate for basic or advanced operations;
be a minimum age of 14 for basic and 16 for advanced operations, unless supervised by a person having proper certificates;
stay below an altitude of 122 m (400 feet) above ground level; and
stay away from air traffic.
Only drone pilots who need to fly a drone outside the rules for basic or advanced operations will need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) before they fly.
Transport Canada encourages drone pilots to take the necessary time to review and fully understand the new rules for drones in Canada and to follow a course provided by a drone flight school before attempting to take an online exam or flight review.
Drone pilots will need to have their Pilot Certificate and proof of registration readily available when flying their drone as of June 1, 2019. This can mean having an electronic version available on their mobile device or carrying a printed copy.
Transport Canada has developed an improved, user-friendly website with information on the new regulations and helpful tools for all drone pilots available at: Canada.ca/drone-safety.
Transport Canada’s new drone services are available on our website. We invite drone pilots to create an account in the Drone Management Portal for easy access to these drone services at all times.
Until the new rules come into force on June 1, 2019, recreational drone pilots must continue to follow the rules of the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft and pilots using their drone for work or research must continue to follow the conditions of their Special Flight Operations Certificate.
All drone pilots are also subject to the Criminal Code as well as all provincial, territorial, and municipal laws governing areas such as privacy and trespassing. Endangering the safety of an aircraft is a serious offence. Anyone who violates the regulations could be subject to additional fines of up to $25,000 and/or prison. This applies to drones of any size used for any purpose.

Quotes
“We’ve listened closely to feedback from Canadians and have updated our regulations to balance practicality and the safe use of drones. Drones are part of an important economic sector with significant potential to improve lives and connect communities across the country. Our new regulations will create new opportunities for Canadians by establishing a safe and predictable regulatory environment where the industry can innovate and where recreational and non-recreational drone pilots can safely access Canadian airspace.”
The Honourable Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport

Dr.Chas-THC

2019-1-10
Use props
Gérald Proulx
New

Canada

Hello, For information, is DJI Phantom 3 Standard compliant for flying over people in a controlled airport area in Canada? Thanks in advance Gérald ve0mow@hotmail.com
2019-2-4
Use props
Gérald Proulx
New

Canada

Hello, Does anyone know if DJI 3 Standard is compliant to fly over people for new legislation in Canada. Thanks in advance Gérald Bye
2019-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules