Viewing Device
860 14 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike37212
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32618 ft
United States

I've never been so frustrated in my life. Programing this P3S is very confusing and I still don't know if it's right. Many articles and video's later I join this forum, so - here I am.

I have a fixed income and after saving for sometime I got this Phantom. My phone is an Apple 4s from Sprint and it seems to work okay but everything is crowed on the screen and the latency is a second or two lagging, maybe longer.

I am not under contract any longer with Sprint.

My question is what kind of device do I need in order to view everything clearly with spot on latency?

Will I need a contract phone or pad?
Can the device be a Walmart device where I buy cellular and data in advance?

I saw a list of Apple and Android devices, most of which are too expensive, but some of the Android devices are reasonable and only one is recommended by Phantom Help (),and by DJI (). That one device GPS is optional. I don't know what to do...

The bottom line is I cannot afford a contract with any company. What do I do?! HELP!!
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I like the iPad Air2 Cellular, but many seem to gravitate to the iPad Mini3.
But you don't need a cell service. The cellular Apple devices do have built in GPS.
Check the DJI approved device list for a great starting point.
You need a device that has a fast enough processor, to utilize the power hungry app, sufficiently.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Mike37212
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 13:31
I like the iPad Air2 Cellular, but many seem to gravitate to the iPad Mini3.
But you don't need a cell service. The cellular Apple devices do have built in GPS.
Check the DJI approved device list for a great starting point.

Thank you for your response Captain!

If I don't need a cell service how do I download the DJI GO app? You see, this is what confusing me.
2017-3-16
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Mike37212 Posted at 2017-3-16 16:54

If I don't need a cell service how do I download the DJI GO app? You see, this is what confusing me.

You don't need cell service, but you will need a device that is capable of accessing the internet, through wifi, which most devices I know of can do.  You seem to have already activated your Phantom, so that is good.  And really, the only reason you need the Wifi is because you have a standard, which only connects to the device through wifi.  So, you only need internet access to activate and to do updates and download maps.  The Phantom will work just fine without any of that.  You did not mention what kind of budget you have, but I would look on ebay for a used or new 8 inch or so tablet in your price range.  I can personally recommend the Nvidia Shield.  I can also recommend the Samsung Galaxy S5 device.  Both are reasonably priced on ebay.  Good luck.
2017-3-16
Use props
Mike37212
lvl.1
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-3-16 17:00
You don't need cell service, but you will need a device that is capable of accessing the internet, through wifi, which most devices I know of can do.  You seem to have already activated your Phantom, so that is good.  And really, the only reason you need the Wifi is because you have a standard, which only connects to the device through wifi.  So, you only need internet access to activate and to do updates and download maps.  The Phantom will work just fine without any of that.  You did not mention what kind of budget you have, but I would look on ebay for a used or new 8 inch or so tablet in your price range.  I can personally recommend the Nvidia Shield.  I can also recommend the Samsung Galaxy S5 device.  Both are reasonably priced on ebay.  Good luck.

Thank you for that information. I was beginning to think about returning this thing until I could afford everything at once. I'd hate it sitting around and not using it.  My total income is 100.00 a month so you see I play it pretty close to the vest, some days eating less in order to save a buck or two.
I'll look into these devices you recommended. Thank you again!
2017-3-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike37212 Posted at 2017-3-16 17:52
Thank you for that information. I was beginning to think about returning this thing until I could afford everything at once. I'd hate it sitting around and not using it.  My total income is 100.00 a month so you see I play it pretty close to the vest, some days eating less in order to save a buck or two.
I'll look into these devices you recommended. Thank you again!

The blunt answer to this is not going to impress you, but the iPhone 4S is not going to do the job, it is just not powerful enough. The lowest price option available to you is to get a NVidia Shield K1 as Kneepuck suggests. It has turned out to be one of the best performing tablets used on Phantoms. If money is short, see if you can grab one from an on-line pawn shop, that how I got my tablet.
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Mike37212 Posted at 2017-3-16 16:54

Cell service refers to having a SIM card in the device, which is what I meant isn't necessary.

You download the app, by visiting the online store, for your particular device. You can do that at any WiFi hotspot. If you have no internet at home, visit an internet cafe/restaurant or even an Apple Store.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Mike37212
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-16 18:07
The blunt answer to this is not going to impress you, but the iPhone 4S is not going to do the job, it is just not powerful enough. The lowest price option available to you is to get a NVidia Shield K1 as Kneepuck suggests. It has turned out to be one of the best performing tablets used on Phantoms. If money is short, see if you can grab one from an on-line pawn shop, that how I got my tablet.

Yes you are right! The 4s sucks for use with the drone. Thank you for your suggestion, I  went online right after I read your post and found a new one for a price better than I ever expected! At that price I'm going to give it a try!
I just hope I can get the app on it and finish calibrating. I've lost one and really scared about launching another!

Thank you for your help!

2017-3-16
Use props
CBNethaway
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124688 ft
United States

Mike37212 Posted at 2017-3-16 18:36
Yes you are right! The 4s sucks for use with the drone. Thank you for your suggestion, I  went online right after I read your post and found a new one for a price better than I ever expected! At that price I'm going to give it a try!
I just hope I can get the app on it and finish calibrating. I've lost one and really scared about launching another!

IPad Mini works great with holder
2017-3-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I am fairly sure you will be OK, all the reviews I have seen for the Shield are positive.
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sure the upgrade will turn out great. Happy flying!
2017-3-16
Use props
Mike37212
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 18:33
Cell service refers to having a SIM card in the device, which is what I meant isn't necessary.

You download the app, by visiting the online store, for your particular device. You can do that at any WiFi hotspot. If you have no internet at home, visit an internet cafe/restaurant or even an Apple Store.

As long as the NVIDIA SHIELD K1 has wi-fi, it doesn't say it does, and the GPS I think I will be more confident. I'm looking for one today.

Thank you for your input, it is most helpful and appreciated.
2017-3-17
Use props
Mike37212
lvl.1
United States

CBNethaway Posted at 2017-3-16 19:14
IPad Mini works great with holder

Thank you. That was another thing I was worried about.

Your input is appreciated.
2017-3-17
Use props
Mike37212
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-16 18:07

I have one more thing I'd like to ask. When I connect the DJI GO app to the aircraft, to program and fly do I go the the Phantom 3_XXX wi-fi or to my home wifi?

I'm thinking I have to connect to the aircraft using the P3_XXX to program but I'm not sure about going to my home wifi connection.
2017-3-17
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

Mike37212 Posted at 2017-3-17 09:25
I have one more thing I'd like to ask. When I connect the DJI GO app to the aircraft, to program and fly do I go the the Phantom 3_XXX wi-fi or to my home wifi?

I'm thinking I have to connect to the aircraft using the P3_XXX to program but I'm not sure about going to my home wifi connection.

I've used both an ipad pro and an iphone 6 plus that I bought at Gamestop as refurbished. A lot cheaper than new and then you're not under a contract. As far as the cellular, you don't need it to fly. All you need is before you fly go into the app when on your home wifi and view the map for the area, zoom in and out, scroll around etc and that will cache your map for you.
2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules