Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Worth it to wait?
880 10 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

so I am planning on buying an Osmo+ with a bunch of gear (pretty much everything but the bike mount, helmet mounts, and chest rig and extension cable) but I am hesitating.  I know DJI likes to release something in April, what if I buy it then a week later the price drops way down because Osmo 2 launches (which would make sense since the Inspire 2 is here) and I could have gotten my stuff for cheaper, or picked up the new latest and greatest for the same price had I just waited.  Is it a good idea to hold off and wait?  Trouble is I am going to need to have that camera in my hands in the first week of May.

On a related note, I find myself very annoyed that the only package deal available is the sport package.  I have no need for the bike mount or the extra batteries (because I plan to use external power most of the time) yet I have to pay for them if I want that package, and DJI refuses to make any substitutions for stuff I actually want instead (like the Z axis, external power adaptor and 10 pin cable), and the package with just the Osmo+ and the Z axis appears to no longer be available.  I also find it highly annoying that it takes the sales department 3 days to answer each email and the first one seems to always be automated and answer a completely different question than the one asked.

Anyway, venting aside, what should I do?  Should I wait?

Does anyone know any rumors about what if anything is scheduled to launch in April?  Or if there might be an Easter sale or promotion?
2017-3-16
Use props
Barney2k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

In all seriousness, if you keep thinking "but what if there's a new one in a month" - you'll never buy any DJI product.

They move at a crazy pace and there will always be new products on the horizon.

The Osmo+ is a great bit of kit - why not take the plunge!?

I would guess the packages are based on the economic facts of how many of each item they've produced, which is why substitutions aren't available.

Either way - the Osmo is great, just buy one and get filming! That's my advice
2017-3-17
Use props
michelrivet
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43307 ft
Canada

I have an osmo+ also bought the z axis and the battery extender I am very satisfied with it
and don't wait for the price to comedown on the gadget you will have to wait for a long time
2017-3-17
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Barney2k Posted at 2017-3-17 04:56
In all seriousness, if you keep thinking "but what if there's a new one in a month" - you'll never buy any DJI product.

They move at a crazy pace and there will always be new products on the horizon.

The problem is that April often does see new launches, and if I were to try and guess what it would be the Osmo 2 would be a logical choice.  The original Osmo shared cameras with the Inspire 1 so an Osmo handle was an accessory a lot of Inspire 1 owners would buy, so now that the Inspire 2 is out it would be logical to expect an Osmo 2 to come as the companion.  The other possibilities are the Phantom 5 and some new flavors of Mavic, but who's to say multiple products aren't launched.

I am on a tight budget so it would really suck if shorty after I bought the price drops because the new, and far superior, Osmo has launched at the same or simular price as the original.  It would be one thing if there was a 90 day return or price match policy, but there is not, if you don't cancel in the day or so it takes them to ship you're screwed.

If this were a few months ago I would agree with you, the Osmo+ is an awsome product, just buy it, but we are so close to that release window I am having serious second thouhts.  Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of promotion for Easter like we saw at valentines day with an extra battery and some jelly beans or something.  I want my jelly beans.
2017-3-17
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

9245 Posted at 2017-3-17 09:53
The problem is that April often does see new launches, and if I were to try and guess what it would be the Osmo 2 would be a logical choice.  The original Osmo shared cameras with the Inspire 1 so an Osmo handle was an accessory a lot of Inspire 1 owners would buy, so now that the Inspire 2 is out it would be logical to expect an Osmo 2 to come as the companion.  The other possibilities are the Phantom 5 and some new flavors of Mavic, but who's to say multiple products aren't launched.

I am on a tight budget so it would really suck if shorty after I bought the price drops because the new, and far superior, Osmo has launched at the same or simular price as the original.  It would be one thing if there was a 90 day return or price match policy, but there is not, if you don't cancel in the day or so it takes them to ship you're screwed.

If you end up buying the package deal you may be able to sell the items you dont need.
2017-3-17
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buy it, if they release a new one, sell it at a slight loss and buy the new one. Not rocket science.

Why do you expect DJI to cater to your specific "package" desires? Just buy the items you want like everyone else. How is this something to be annoyed about?
2017-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

9245 Posted at 2017-3-17 09:53

Not to sure where you get April from, last year March was release for P4, all the equipment you need can be purchased separately, so you can buy basic osmo+ and but the addons you need so you won't be left with stuff you don't need.

Usually when dji release something new it takes a further month or two before they start to reduce price.
I take a pragmatic view on this, if you think Osmo is worth the money for what you get buy it, if you don't then don't buy it, if you keep thinking about it the grass will always greener somewhere else.
2017-3-17
Use props
lvl.4
United States

RoomierPanda Posted at 2017-3-17 14:46
Buy it, if they release a new one, sell it at a slight loss and buy the new one. Not rocket science.

Why do you expect DJI to cater to your specific "package" desires? Just buy the items you want like everyone else. How is this something to be annoyed about?

Except that if the price falls it will be more than a "slight" loss, it will probably be a few hundred dollars minimimum.
2017-3-17
Use props
lvl.4
United States

9245 Posted at 2017-3-17 21:38
Except that if the price falls it will be more than a "slight" loss, it will probably be a few hundred dollars minimimum.

Since I couldn't go back and edit:
I am also factoring in the cost of the accessories which I assume will not be compatible.
2017-3-17
Use props
Aleksandr Perm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119948 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Hi everybody.
Dear topic-starter, If you are on a tight budget so it would be better to buy "in use" item on e-bay, amazon or other.
It's good decision for trying DJI products, it's more chipper than new and you can safe your money.
If you get cool smartphone you can get Osmo Mobile - it's cool staff for journey.
I have Osmo, Osmo+ , and I bought Zenmuse m1 (it's makes my Osmo into Osmo mobile).
2017-3-17
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Aleksandr Perm Posted at 2017-3-17 23:13
Hi everybody.
Dear topic-starter, If you are on a tight budget so it would be better to buy "in use" item on e-bay, amazon or other.
It's good decision for trying DJI products, it's more chipper than new and you can safe your money.

I plan to use a student discount and DJI Credit to pay for (most of) it so buying on ebay or anywhere else is not an option.

As for Osmo mobile, while the price is nice it just wouldn't work for me; my phone does not have a 4k camera, I would not be able to use a Z axis, adding an external microphone would be difficult, I would not be able to use time lapse effectively as my phone would run out of batteries, and many of the filming options and styles of the Osmo and Osmo+ would be difficult or impossible on the Osmo mobile because I would be unable to see the screen, I also would not have an optical zoom.  While neat, the Osmo Mobile would not be appropriate for the style of filming I intend to do.
2017-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules