AIRLINE DRONE SAFETY PAPERWORK
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jon Dow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I am flying with Monarch Airlines this June and they have asked me to bring the safety datasheet that apparently came with the Phantom 3 Professional in the box.  

I only have the usual instructions and warranty card though.  

Does anyone have a copy of something that I could obtain, please?

They also only allow 160WH total capacity for the drone batteries, which allows me to carry 2 of them, not all 4 I have.  They have to be in fire and explosion-proof LiPo bags, wrapped in clingfilm and in my carry-on luggage.

Thanks,
Jon.

2017-3-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is no safety datasheet for a DJI Phantom.
You/they probably mean the batteries but that would be pretty stupid too.
Do they require a safety datasheet for everyone's laptop batteries or camera batteries too?
Their website is hopeless and doesn't seem to have a proper dangerous goods section to explain anything.
In any case, the batteries are just like all other lithium ion batteries and they have the capacity in watt hours printed on them, which is probably what they would look for on any safety datasheet anyway if such a thing existed.
2017-3-17
Use props
jonscott
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Attached is  the P3 data sheet in pdf format, for the aircraft and the batteries. I have this as apart of my ops manual as I have a permisons for commercial operations. You should be fine to travel with it, if you are intersted i talk about how to travel with a drone in this video here, drone specific stuff is at around 9:20

phantom 3 data sheet.pdf

258.15 KB, Down times: 30

p3 data sheet

2017-3-17
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jonscott Posted at 2017-3-17 07:38
Attached is  the P3 data sheet in pdf format, for the aircraft and the batteries. I have this as apart of my ops manual as I have a permisons for commercial operations. You should be fine to travel with it, if you are intersted i talk about how to travel with a drone in this video here, drone specific stuff is at around 9:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjV_IGHD-CE

Thanks a lot.  

Now the law has changed again since yesterday and there are even stricter rules... I'm waiting for Monarch to get back to me.

2017-3-23
Use props
jonscott
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Jon Dow Posted at 2017-3-23 05:24
Thanks a lot.  

Now the law has changed again since yesterday and there are even stricter rules... I'm waiting for Monarch to get back to me.

What law change was that? Can you link to it?

Cheers
2017-3-23
Use props
T3rdEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

Jonscott,
Thanks for the very useful information.
I will add the data sheet to my operations manual.
2017-3-24
Use props
Aussie4220
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311732 ft
United States

they seem to have different rules than other airlines, as long as the Lipo batteries are below 100 watt hours you should be fine to carry more than 2. The P3 batteries are below this level.
2017-3-26
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jonscott Posted at 2017-3-23 08:32
What law change was that? Can you link to it?

Cheers

There are brand new rules for certain countries.  I am going to Turkey in June and I am no longer allowed to bring the LiPo batteries home FROM Dalaman TO Birmingham.  Taking them out FROM Birmingham TO Dalaman is fine, so I'd likely end up having to throw the batteries away - erk £120 each?!, but I am waiting to see if (al the rules change again) or (b) can the hotel post them back to me freight?
2017-3-31
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AIRBAN LINK

//www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/donald-trump-electronics-ban-flight-muslim-airline-passenger-what-mean-uk-turkey-jordan-egypt-saudi-a7643476.html]Independent Newspaper - Electronics on Flights Rules March 2017[/url][/url]

2017-3-31
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aussie4220 Posted at 2017-3-26 11:11
they seem to have different rules than other airlines, as long as the Lipo batteries are below 100 watt hours you should be fine to carry more than 2. The P3 batteries are below this level.

Monarch said it is perfectly fine to store LiPos in my carry-on on the way out to Turkey. But then I'd have to throw them away at Turkey, because they won't allow them to come back in carry-on and theyre just not allowed in the hold at all, even if wrapped in fire bags.
2017-3-31
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Jon Dow Posted at 2017-3-31 06:27
Monarch said it is perfectly fine to store LiPos in my carry-on on the way out to Turkey. But then I'd have to throw them away at Turkey, because they won't allow them to come back in carry-on and theyre just not allowed in the hold at all, even if wrapped in fire bags.

I would see if you are able to ship them back home before you return, or find another person that may way top buy them in turkey.
2017-3-31
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

I have had a similar situation. In the end I had to ship my batteries back by surface mail which could take up to 2 months! Not sure if the batteries would be any good after that amount of time. Anyway nothing I can do about it now other than sit tight and see how things turn out.
2017-3-31
Use props
Antonov
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

Jon Dow Posted at 2017-3-31 06:22
There are brand new rules for certain countries.  I am going to Turkey in June and I am no longer allowed to bring the LiPo batteries home FROM Dalaman TO Birmingham.  Taking them out FROM Birmingham TO Dalaman is fine, so I'd likely end up having to throw the batteries away - erk £120 each?!, but I am waiting to see if (al the rules change again) or (b) can the hotel post them back to me freight?

They would post them for you however postal restrictions may also apply as I know these Lipo batteries are no longer allowed from China or else.  You can post them declaring some personal items at your own risk of course. You are right about the Law as I just travelled back from Turkey. Not allowed.
2017-5-25
Use props
Antonov
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

Jon Dow Posted at 2017-3-31 06:22

They would post them for you however postal restrictions may also apply as I know these Lipo batteries are no longer allowed from China or else.  You can post them declaring some personal items at your own risk of course. You are right about the Law as I just travelled back from Turkey.
2017-5-25
Use props
chainmon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3268566 ft
  • >>>
United States

johscott
Thank you for the information. It helps.
2017-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules