What's up with these loss GPS and fly aways?
1026 11 2017-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans825c0532
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I just saw two youtube videos for mavic losing gps and then apparently flying away...
are they user error.. or will it be a possibility for all of us?

My standard flew away twice, and home point jumpped to a new home and I had max distance set .. so I think that could have been the reason.. but so far I've had about 15 flights on Mavic and no gps loss or anything, if this happens to my mavic, I think I will CSC ... destroying my bird. but try to prevent accident....
but also.. recalling my standard flying away... it hardly responded to my controls and it darted towards the apparent new home point both times, I had limited control...
it is scary.
2017-3-17
Use props
fans825c0532
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

also, I recovered both times without any harm to my standard btw!
2017-3-17
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Usually fly always are either GPS loss resulting in the wind carrying the magic away or radio interference, to many buildings, trees and wires, sometimes it because people don't calibrate IMU and compass.
2017-3-17
Use props
SteveDickin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have noticed that most people who report a loss of GPS and the drifting uncontrollably issues are flying the first few flights after receiving the drone.  I did the same.  I suspect that its inexperience and also not fully prepared craft (calibrations etc) and also panic when it happens due to being a new craft.
2017-3-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I just saw two youtube videos for mavic losing gps and then apparently flying away...are they user error.. or will it be a possibility for all of us?

Maybe and yes. It's hard to say what the cause of something like that was just from a YouTube video unless they explicitly state in the video what was definitively determined to be the reason. If the person was inexperienced and the reason for the flyaway is said to be a mystery there's a high probability of it being some form of pilot error -- especially if the video's title includes the word "dude" and a lot of exclamation points. And in any case there's a greater than zero chance that the whole thing is just click bait.
2017-3-17
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft

I was concerned when I bought my Mavic that a GPS loss and fly away was a real possibility from reading around here and other Mavic forums but while it has happened, when you remember that forums will tend to be biased towards problems (since people are much more likely to come here with a problem than if they don't) there's been very few cases of it happening here. In cases of genuine flyaways that can be proved, DJI have provided a replacement Mavic even if the original drowned so personally I'm not worrying about a flyaway happening and if it does, I've been careful to avoid doing anything which could be attributed to pilot error.
2017-3-17
Use props
SteveGmavic 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 653524 ft
Canada

JohnMcL7 Posted at 2017-3-17 16:23
I was concerned when I bought my Mavic that a GPS loss and fly away was a real possibility from reading around here and other Mavic forums but while it has happened, when you remember that forums will tend to be biased towards problems (since people are much more likely to come here with a problem than if they don't) there's been very few cases of it happening here. In cases of genuine flyaways that can be proved, DJI have provided a replacement Mavic even if the original drowned so personally I'm not worrying about a flyaway happening and if it does, I've been careful to avoid doing anything which could be attributed to pilot error.

I have had my Mavic since January 8 launch in about 40 miles of flying never had a GPS loss until about the last three days just before the firmware upgrade and then my Mavic went toast and had to go into repair or replace
2017-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Many come on here claiming fly away immediately blaming dji then as they go through what else may have caused this, it seems we don't hear from too many the real outcome, which is a real pity..
2017-3-18
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

I have like 12 hours of flying time with mine and yesterday was the first time I lost GPS in two different occasions. At this moments i'm so glad I had a Phantom before which was "constantly" in ATTI mode.
I was so surprised by that because it has never happened with the Mav before. I guess in that sense i'm spoiled. How ewer I think it is about staying cool and go through the things you learned and read before.

The only "problem" I had was that it took a little while (a couple of seconds) before it responded to input at least mine input and that it for some reason took a couple of more seconds before it got stable when it got the GPS Mode back. I'm not sure but this might have something to do with the fact that DJI don't want to add the possibility to switch to ATTI manually.
2017-3-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-18 02:52
Many come on here claiming fly away immediately blaming dji then as they go through what else may have caused this, it seems we don't hear from too many the real outcome, which is a real pity..

Because the real outcome is 97% pilot error --- I'll bet anyone dollars to there donuts
People refuse to take responsibility for there mistakes --- This is nothing new
I've lost GPS, have been in Atti mode but never lost total control of the Mavic and always came back unscratched.
Its true people never read the operation manual --- just read how these people explain there disconnects and so called flyaways.
I have to laugh cause they don't realize that every stick input and AC action is being recorded and logged,
( BLACK BOX ) and once they do realize this has happend  --- you hear no more from them or they claim there are no Flight records ( Cause they Deleted them ) I believe DJI can also recover the deleted files
My reasoning for this is that DJI has to cover there ass or DJI will just have to replace more Mavic's then they sell cause of dishonest people.      
2017-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-18 04:44
Because the real outcome is 97% pilot error --- I'll bet anyone dollars to there donuts
People refuse to take responsibility for there mistakes --- This is nothing new
I've lost GPS, have been in Atti mode but never lost total control of the Mavic and always came back unscratched.

Your right SkunkWerks, but it would be helpful to know what went wrong for those who are getting concerned.
2017-3-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-18 06:09
Your right SkunkWerks, but it would be helpful to know what went wrong for those who are getting concerned.

Hall,
I understand your concerns and others
I'm concerned too
Every TRUE Flyaway ( Not That Many ) that has been posted, shows and posts there flight records on this form and sents them to DJI ---- if there is no follow up  from the original poster to explain his or her outcome -- I just mark it up as Pilot Error --- Think about it ---- Posting, screaming, demanding a new Mavic, WORRYING others in the Form about possible flyaways with there Mavic's
Then when all the smoke clears, They find out it was something they have done or didn't do and caused it to be PIOLT ERROR .
Would you ( I'm just using the word YOU as an example ) come back to the Form after all the negativity and Crap shoveling about DJI also all the worrying YOU have caused others to the point they are afraid too TRULY ENJOY the technology and capability of there Machine
I would think not cause -- it was YOU ( PILOT ERROR ) who crashed and trashed your $1200.00 machine   ---- MAJOR EMBARISMENT ---
2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules