Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Has this Hobby Ruined your Relationship?
2396 34 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Does your girlfriend or boyfriend or perhaps your spouse feel like you're spending too much time with your DJI Drone? Is it ruining your relationship? Or was this hobby the cause of your breakup? Or did this hobby actually bring you and your gf or bf or perhaps your husband or wife stronger together? Tell us your Story!
2017-3-18
Use props
Marty Markoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

My wifey says, "New drone, thanks. I'm going shopping." My response, take your time.
2017-3-18
Use props
SteveDickin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If something that takes like 27mins per battery was to ruin your relationship then I would suspect that there was something more in the relationship that was wrong.
2017-3-18
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

SteveDickin Posted at 2017-3-18 03:41
If something that takes like 27mins per battery was to ruin your relationship then I would suspect that there was something more in the relationship that was wrong.

Well I suppose that depends on how many batteries you have ;-)
2017-3-18
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

As I just turned 65 and retired - and don't play golf or have any real hobbies - my wife (who retired almost 4 years ago) bought me the Mavic Fly More  package for both life events and said, "Happy Birthday, Happy Retirement, now follow the name of the package and Go Fly More."  

This is my first RC Vehicle and while it was pretty overwhelming going through the Owner's Manual the first 4 times, it has gotten a little more imbedded in my brain.  I'm still finding my way through flying in beginners mode, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I'm also in the North East and we are seeing all of winter in the last couple of weeks so I'm waiting for better weather before venturing too far.

To get back to the polls question:  I think that if I didn't have the Mavic, my wife and I would be seeing too much of each other - so I think this will be good for our relationship.  Thanks for asking!
2017-3-18
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Hmmm . . . Maybe that's why see bought me the Fly More package AND 2 extra batteries?

2017-3-18
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-3-18 04:10
Hmmm . . . Maybe that's why see bought me the Fly More package AND 2 extra batteries?

Sounds like your wife is my wife's sister. I too am retired, and also live in the Northeast. She didn't buy me the Mavic, but suggested I should, (it's cute, her words) I have several so it's not my first, but the result is the same. A hobby to keep me busy and out of her hair while she tends to her hobby. It hasn't soured our relationship, heck sometimes she flies with me.
2017-3-18
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2017-3-18 04:32
Sounds like your wife is my wife's sister. I too am retired, and also live in the Northeast. She didn't buy me the Mavic, but suggested I should, (it's cute, her words) I have several so it's not my first, but the result is the same. A hobby to keep me busy and out of her hair while she tends to her hobby. It hasn't soured our relationship, heck sometimes she flies with me.

Good for you!  I'm not sure if my wife would like it or if she'd be afraid of crashing it.  My car is a 6 speed manual and she's never learned to drive a manual shifter: I've offered to teach her thousands of times but she's always declined with the excuse of "I'm afraid I'll break it" or something like that.  I would project that she'll have the same fear of flying the Mavic.
2017-3-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

When my wife says anything about my hobby I smack her up side her head and send her back to her closet for a couple of days.
2017-3-18
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

As long as I take her on a date once a week I am good. :-) On a side note when I told her I wanted to purchase the Mavic she did not have any issues with it as she knows how much I enjoy flying drones.
2017-3-18
Use props
Macdugel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 630577 ft
United States

My wife was skeptical due to the pricing of something purely for hobby.  She was a believer the first time she saw the footage from the air.  We take many family vacations and this is just another means of capturing our memories from another perspective.  
2017-3-18
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

I have so many multi-rotors of all sizes, and as long as I clean up when I'm done, no issues with the spouse going on 17yrs.  We met when I was racing rc cars.  One room in house is filled with all my stuff, so all she has to do is close the door-out of sight, out of mind.  But my Mavic is allowed to sit on kitchen table for extended time.  Oh, and she works for a R&D company specializing in 11-22ft drones used by foreign military.  Their drones exposed Chapo & the most recent issues in Turkey.  
2017-3-18
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

im single so no. but even if i wasnt probably still wouldn't. i dont have the confidence with it like i did the phantom so im always afraid to fly it in fear it'll fly away or something.
2017-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

My wife always giving out complaining throwing things shouting all the time. My friend says to me what do you say to her. My reply, I don't get involved in any of that. Lol
2017-3-18
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3809 ft
Canada

Usually my wife's toys take longer than 27 mins to charge and last about 5 mins! Subliminal message!
2017-3-18
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112169 ft
Netherlands

I only got my Mavic yesterday, so it didn't have much time to mess up the relationship yet. There was no time to fly yesterday, and today there was a lot of water slowly drizzling from the sky, but in between some of it I found about 40 minutes to go out and fly a little. It's gonna be fun, we have a 9 month old daughter so I'm can't just go out every minute I'm not at work. But then again, my wife is used to me going out to take photo's, or going kiting. This can replace both since it's up in the air, and photographing!
2017-3-18
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Same. Been together over 17 years now so there's not much to say that hasn't already been said. Got together right before y2k!

I see the mavic as more of a tool, bathroom spying tool! JK, it's really a great machine they've built and the wife likes the video. Ended up having to upgrade rigs and got her a osmo mobile she really likes. But she been sick lately. Hopefully we get more time to play this summer.
2017-3-18
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-3-18 04:03
Well I suppose that depends on how many batteries you have ;-)

Or in my case how far you have to drive to get to outside a NFZ
2017-3-18
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

Whenever I buy new flying RC stuff I have to sell one, that's the deal.. last year I reduced the fleet of heli's to 2 units which gave me leverage to buy more than 1 new (yes, im a cheeky bstard). So when I discovered the Mavic: no problem. My oldest (girl, 10 years) seemed to like drones as well, so got her a bebop2..more quality time. Flyin this stuff seems to make everyone happy here and indeed, the wive gets shopping credits in return too and a happy guy around.

Mine

Mine

Hers

Hers
2017-3-19
Use props
JonCahillPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15256 ft
United States

My wife finds it dorky, but then again she is also a dork in economics. Given her education background, she already does the math in her head. Since my fleet, albeit small, is work related, not much relationship interference. The kids, on the other hand, want to ignore me and fly it....

I do find it funny when the wife sends me a note, "Oh look! You have another package...."
2017-3-19
Use props
Yokota85
lvl.2
Flight distance : 255430 ft
United States

If she starts to complain too much I just deflate her and put her back in the box
2017-3-20
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

My wife has a history of hating what I like, drones, RC cars, sex....lol I keep telling her I am going to start liking the things she does so she won't anymore but I can't bring myself to listen to George Michaels while making bead jewelry....lmao But I don't get much opportunity to 'get ot' andy where to fly due to we have 6 kids. But I plan to set up my old F450 and start teahing the older ones how to fly.
2017-3-20
Use props
digitalintruder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I try to tell my wife it's impressive that I'm a level 20-something in the DJI Go app. I tell her that she is obviously more attracted to me because of my pilot level. Oddly, she says it's quite the opposite of being more attracted to me. This just tells me I need to bump up my pilot level even more. ;-)  In a serious conversation with my wife, she said it was nerdy, she doesn’t understand it – but she’s happy that I’m happy. But I could easily see how this device could ruin relationships.
2017-3-20
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

My girlfriend likes to come along, set up a chair, and watch me while I enjoy flying my Mavic.

I'm a lucky guy.......
2017-3-20
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Just to put a dampener on things, I am the wifey with my own Mavic. I didn't ask first, I just bought it after having flown a smaller one for several months.  I don't think he minds............................?
2017-3-20
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

NoSale Posted at 2017-3-20 15:09
My girlfriend likes to come along, set up a chair, and watch me while I enjoy flying my Mavic.

I'm a lucky guy.......

Whaahahah... you said " girlfriend"! Mine used to eat out of my hand until she became " wife". Enjoy life while it lasts
2017-3-21
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

I love all the stories I've read here.  But I have a hashtag going on Instagram. It's called #mygfhatesthisdrone. Every video I post I make sure it's tag in lol. I've had so many arguments with her about this drone. The argument is usually about the ring on the finger.  "How could I spend that much money on a toy?".... But she just doesn't know the plan hahaha. Hopefully I'll post a video one day lol
My lastest video https://www.instagram.com/p/BR5XZnIhq0K/
2017-3-21
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

Not so much as ruined.. But there are moments she doesn't understand..
I was taking a panorama using Litchi the other day at an event (FAR away from the people, at 100 meters height) after waiting for a long time to get permission from the organizers, so i was finally happy to be up in the air. She came up to me, asking me how long i'll be and if we could go home. I told her i still had about 8 minutes of battery left and would join her then.
After about 3 minutes she called me on my phone, asking me if we could go _now_..

Had to abort the panorama and land it..

On other notes: Her parents, who recently bought a farm, love the video's i do for their farm, and the gf does say she wants to learn to fly.. She was hesitant when i said i wanted to buy it, especially because of the cost. But i did my research and made sure she understood why i was buying it.. Planning a trip to Sweden with it definately helped!
2017-3-22
Use props
CatrinOVogt
New

Ukraine

I love computer games
2021-8-1
Use props
Captain Evillian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62480 ft
Netherlands

My wife is very supportive with everything i do and the other way around. She like to catch Pokémon. I'm a very lucky guy. We're not each others bosses.
2021-9-27
Use props
djiuser_z8COhE0yg2hu
New

United States

I want to share my testimony on how i was able to get back my husband around october this year with the help of Dr. Ogunamen Spiritual Home. My husband left me for over 3years and went on with another lady and i was unable to move on with my life because of the love i have for him last month i saw a testimony on the internet on how Dr Ogunamen Spiritual Home help someone with love spell so i never believe it but just have to try my faith which i did and i contacted him on his email: ogunspiritual@yahoo.com and he told me what i need to do and after 2days i received a call from my husband asking me to come back to him it was all like a dream to me i am so happy now as we are back together again thanks to Dr. Ogunamen Spiritual Home and i will advice anyone in need of help to contact him: though WhatsApp +233575619187

I am by name. Kristen Cherney
2021-11-10
Use props
Cyril Vivian
lvl.1

Nigeria

Please visit

i am here to give testimony on how this powerful spell caster called Dr Adoda helped me to fix my relationship. i was heartbroken when my fiancee told me he is no longer interested in marrying me because he was having an affair with the other woman where he work. I cried and sobbed every day, until it got so bad that I reached out to the Internet for help, that was when i read a review about the great work of Dr Adoda, then i contacted him for help to get my lover back, he helped me cast a powerful (reconciliation love spell) and to my greatest surprise after 48 hours of doing the love spell my Fiancee came back on his knees begging me to forgive him We are now happily married and all thanks goes to Dr Adoda Wonders for helping me save my relationship you can contact Dr Adoda through his email address: adodalovespelltemple440@gmail.com or WHATSAPP him on+2348112825421
2022-2-28
Use props
dr6583
lvl.4
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

2022-2-28
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

You guys are lightweights lol...

Start a band and see how THAT goes...
2022-3-15
Use props
Oldschool
lvl.3
Russia

I bought a phantom 3 pro for my son for the new year in December 2015. I myself was retired. My son was 12 years old. flew and he learned and I. go to commerce. Now we are working on dji products for our pleasure. were phantom 3 pro, phantom 4, inspire 1, phantom 4 pro, mavic 2, now in the squadron: mavic 3, dji fpv, mavic 2 zoom. wife,family,friends,customers and we are all happy.)
2022-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules