Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Idling P3S
914 17 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

I would like to bring my batteries down a bit so was wondering if it's ok to idle with the props off inside the house. I live in a no flyzone and it's raining so if possible would like to bring batteries down about 20 inside .
Thanks
2017-3-18
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

From what I've read on here most just use the app and set the auto discharge. Thats what use as well but I've also ran idle to get the battery to a "certain" point where i wanted it to be at.
2017-3-18
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

How do u use the app to set auto discharge, sorry still new at this
2017-3-18
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
United States

Salmonslayer Posted at 2017-3-18 18:38
How do u use the app to set auto discharge, sorry still new at this

No problem. Thats why we the forum.I put battery in and power on RC and AC. Open app and go into camera view, then select the 3 dots in upper right corner, select the battery icon and then advanced settings. You'll see the discharge days there. I have mine at 3. Then exit and power down etc. Don't push the battery button though before the set days or you'll reset the timer.
2017-3-18
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

Thanks Michgolden
2017-3-18
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
United States

You're very welcome !
2017-3-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
2017-3-18
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

Will do, Tks DJI-Jamie
2017-3-18
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

BTW
Don't leave drone on for a long time or you will find the camera becomes very hot. When it is flying the wind helps keep the temp down
2017-3-20
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
United States

Maxxpsoft Posted at 2017-3-20 14:34
BTW
Don't leave drone on for a long time or you will find the camera becomes very hot. When it is flying the wind helps keep the temp down

Valid point ! Thanks. Or at least have the props on?
2017-3-20
Use props
OrlyP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

Michgolden Posted at 2017-3-20 18:07
Valid point ! Thanks. Or at least have the props on?

Oooh... bad idea.

It'll take from several minutes to a couple of hours (give or take) before you'll be able to drain the battery a sufficient amount while the motors are idle. That said, you typically don't want to stare at the drone the whole time. Having the props on and leaving the drone to do something else is not safe. An IMU, GPS, and/or compass deviation or as simple as accidentally nudging the throttle stick could potentially set it off.

If the OP is bent on doing this exercise, leave the props off and just put a small fan or blower for the camera/gimbal.
2017-3-21
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I strongly suggest NOT to idle the AC to drain battery .... the amp rate will be so low - you will have it sitting there for hour or so ... in that time camera gets hot ... motors are spinning with no load on them ....

Totally bad idea ... sorry.
I have a 'cool pad' that blows air up over the camera when I'm updating or working on the model ... but I would never discharge a battery this way.

As another suggests - use the App to set battery discharge time ..... I suggest no more than 3 days ... if you are a regular user - then not so bad ... but irregular or infrequent user - then set it 1 to 3 days ...

There is another way which puts control directly in YOUR hands and you can also use the discharge energy to charge a mobile phone / tablet ... even the RC Controller of your Phantom 3S ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Batter ... :g:aZAAAOSwHsRYECkR

This allows you to connect and discharge at your command. You just plug in ... switch on battery and let it do its job. Best $5 I ever spent on this !!

One word of caution ... do not do a deep discharge as some advise ... its not good at all.

DO NOT idle or try to drain battery with props ON inside house !! And never do it and leave it even outside ... that's 4 very sharp knives spinning round !!

Nigel
2017-3-21
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
United States

OrlyP Posted at 2017-3-21 05:37
Oooh... bad idea.

It'll take from several minutes to a couple of hours (give or take) before you'll be able to drain the battery a sufficient amount while the motors are idle. That said, you typically don't want to stare at the drone the whole time. Having the props on and leaving the drone to do something else is not safe. An IMU, GPS, and/or compass deviation or as simple as accidentally nudging the throttle stick could potentially set it off.

True. Our cat would definitely be at risk ;)
2017-3-21
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
United States

I was thinking of the cooling of the camera aspect in the "props on" reference. I've idled it before for a few minutes just to make some observations, testing etc and the battery drops a bit but yes I'd agree not for long periods of time or unobserved.
2017-3-21
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

Thanks, looks like idling is out and maybe simulator is a good way to burn off some charge and it'll help in the long run.
2017-3-26
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Simulator will only idle the electronics of the bird ... just as bad as idling ... only fact is that you don't have props or motors turning.

Please do yourself a favour ... just set the discharge time on the APP and forget all this idling / simulator stuff. Or get the discharger I linked to. There's hundreds on eBay to choose from.

Do you have a normal LiPo Charger ? With LiHV mode ? Then plug that in ... and set to Storage mode ... in fact you don't even need LiHV mode for storage as storage voltage on a HV LiPo is similar level to standard LiPo ...

Nigel
2017-3-27
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

Thank Solentlife,
Will take recommendations to heart and no more idle, Tks
2017-4-11
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

For those interested in running their P3S as simulator etc.

I have a home built cooling pad ... uses a PC fan runs of 5V fitted.... P3S stands on the pad ...

But then I saw a Laptop cooling pad on sale in local shop for less than $5 ...

Setup is then ...

P3S stands on the pad ... and you run whatever ... updates / simulator etc.

Pad is powered by my 'Discharger shown earlier with USB lead' connected to one of my P3 batterys - doesn't need much power at all and no harm to P3 battery.

Nigel
2017-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules