IMU Calibration Issue P4P
2836 17 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skil303
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124459 ft
United States

New Phantom 4 Pro arrived last week.  All updates completed.

I noticed on the Aircraft Status page, the IMU shows a "Calibrate" box, and next to the box is "Error" in red

I then proceed to the Calibration page and see this graphic that indicates "ACC1 Data Error"

I have the P4P set up to calibrate the IMU and have the following page:
Note: surface is flat and all proceedures accordingly are being followed.

Here is where I'm concerned.  The calibration appears to be working, but this page never advances to the next step (the graphic never changes to putting the P4P on its left, right, front, back upsidedown)  However, the green indicator lights on the craft start to flash green, indicating (I think) the P4P is ready for the next step.  I never make it to the "Calibration is complete" page.

I've left the P$P in the first stage of calibration for well over 20 minutes, wioth the gree inidcator lights flashing, thinking that maybe it takes longer than expected, but It seems it's "stuck" in this first process.

I have flown the aircraft and it appears to be working as expected.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Thanks.

2017-3-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I know it wants to be cool during the IMU calibration.  I wonder if it somehow became too warm and that's causing the problem.

Sorry that's all I got.
2017-3-19
Use props
skil303
lvl.2
United States

I read about the warming issues and made sure the aircraft was room temp.  68 degrees.
2017-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

skil303 Posted at 2017-3-19 09:58
I read about the warming issues and made sure the aircraft was room temp.  68 degrees.

Are you doing it through the app or Dji assistant I done mine through the app had no problem.
2017-3-19
Use props
skil303
lvl.2
United States

Thru the App.

The aircraft flies fine, but I'm concerned that by not having the IMU properly calibrated, it could result in a loss of control.
2017-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

skil303 Posted at 2017-3-19 11:59
Thru the App.

The aircraft flies fine, but I'm concerned that by not having the IMU properly calibrated, it could result in a loss of control.

Sorry you can do IMU calibration through your app or you can do it through Dji assistant..
2017-3-19
Use props
skil303
lvl.2
United States

Thanks.  I'll give the DJI Assistant a shot.
2017-3-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Even if the room is cool, start calibration from a cold boot

With the revised procedure, it should take <10 minutes

If you did the above and the calibration still doesn't go through, you may have a faulty IMU (there are two) so you an still fly with one but there is no redundancy. I've never seen a 'data error' message on one of the units as shown by your screen snap shot.
2017-3-19
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

you figure DJI would have all this crap figured out by now..
2017-3-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

hdlou94 Posted at 2017-3-19 17:16
you figure DJI would have all this crap figured out by now..

No sure what you mean but different bits of the 'advice' I wrote about is published in different places, just helps to repost some of that here for convenience.
2017-3-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Please try to reset the firmware to factory default, then upgrade it again and perform the IMU calibration.
If still the same case, please export the flight log through Assistant 2 and upload it to Dropbox, then post the link here, we'll help you check it.
2017-3-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Japanese Natalia has provided some things to try, but I've read this issue on the forum before and it was determined to be faulty and swapped out. If you bought your P4P from somewhere with a good swap/return policy, I'd be going down that path next.
And as already advised, it flys because there is still one which works (but you have no redundancy).
2017-3-19
Use props
skil303
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-19 22:53
Please try to reset the firmware to factory default, then upgrade it again and perform the IMU calibration.
If still the same case, please export the flight log through Assistant 2 and upload it to Dropbox, then post the link here, we'll help you check it.

I reset the firmware last evening, upgraded and attempted the IMU Calibration.  Same results.

I'll follow your instructions with the flight logs and upload them.

Thank You.
2017-3-20
Use props
skil303
lvl.2
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-19 23:11
Japanese Natalia has provided some things to try, but I've read this issue on the forum before and it was determined to be faulty and swapped out. If you bought your P4P from somewhere with a good swap/return policy, I'd be going down that path next.
And as already advised, it flys because there is still one which works (but you have no redundancy).

Purchased from Amazon so I'm guessing from my past experience with them that they will replace the unit.

Thanks.
2017-3-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

skil303 Posted at 2017-3-20 15:09
I reset the firmware last evening, upgraded and attempted the IMU Calibration.  Same results.

I'll follow your instructions with the flight logs and upload them.

Thanks you, please keep us posted.
2017-3-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

skil303 Posted at 2017-3-19 09:58

The cool Temperature during the Calibration enables the IMU to warm up faster when you turn your Phantom on.
2017-3-21
Use props
skil303
lvl.2
United States

Well, here's an update.

I travelled to Montana and utilized the Drone on this shoot.  All system worked.  Proper readings (in the green) on both ACC1 and ACC2.  The calibration setup in the app worked.

Hmmm.

Is it possible I live in an area that has some type of interference that would interrupt the IMU?

I'll run the calibration once I return home and keep you posted.
2017-3-23
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

skil303 Posted at 2017-3-23 19:50
Well, here's an update.

I travelled to Montana and utilized the Drone on this shoot.  All system worked.  Proper readings (in the green) on both ACC1 and ACC2.  The calibration setup in the app worked.

Great to hear you have both ACCs reporting green, but I wouldn't tempt fate. It you could do a successful IMU calibration in the end - regardless of where you were - I would consider that as having 'put the pin back in the grenade' and back carefully away... That or, just before trying the calibration again, drawing a pentacle around the craft and sacrificing a chicken.
2017-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules