Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Please explain Osmo + focusing
4632 4 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LennyLevy
lvl.2
United States

I have had my Osmo + for a few months now and keep  putting in away in utter confusion because I can't figure out how the focusing system works and  your support is so bad that I simply can't find it written anywhere. Please Please Please explain in detail how the focusing system is supposed to work. Pretend its a manual .
I'd love a complete  explanation fo the whoie system but  some questions whch vex me are:

What is metering mode vs focus mode?
when you hit the infinity  image  does that lock you out of using the focusing green box until you go terminate off the infinity  image?
What does it mean when the green focusing box  changes size?
Is the green box even a focusing box in the first place?
It seems like I sometimes need to hit the green box  a few time to get it to focus - does that make sense?
What the heck is that blue circle like a target that sometimes replaces the green box? Is that for metering instead of focus?
Will the Osmo hold focus if you focus then start zooming.
Is there any kind of continuous autofocus available?
How does the "focus when the gimbal" stops work?

Lenny

2017-3-19
Use props
LennyLevy
lvl.2
United States

Sorry about the typos , I was unable to edit for some reason. Also sorry a couple of these questions might be obvious when the Osmo is in front of me and I'm doing it from memory.
2017-3-19
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

I don't have mine yet, but assuming it is simular to the Phantom 4:

It basically has two focus "modes" infinity and, well, focus.  In infinity mode it really isn't focused on anyhing, your focus point has been set to, as the name implies, infinity, its good if your trying to film the whole scene, say a landscape or a panarama, anything where the focus is the entirety of the image, not anything specific.  In the other mode, you just tap the screen on the object or spot you want to focus on and you will see an orange box around it, now that object or spot is in enhanced focus, because the camera is set to that spot and distance, but the rest of the image will be slightly less sharp because it will be out of focus.  The effect isn't really that dramatic.

I don't know what you mean by a green box, the only green box I am aware of, or at least that I can think of off hand, is the auto track, which I didn't think the Osmo or Osmo+ had (Osmo mobile does though), in active track, the camera will use AI to track a specific 3 dimensional object, and keep it centered in the shot if possible.
2017-3-19
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

Lenny, I agree the "manual" is pretty short on information! Am looking forward to a good technical explanation too.

The blue circle you sometimes get is when you've kept your finger on the phone/tablet screen a bit long.... this then becomes a way to move the camera with your finger instead of the control lever on the handle. Quite neat!

You tap the metering and get an orange/yellow circle - then it's setting the exposure. Does not obviously work when full auto selected. When you tap that icon again, it turns green and that is for manual focussing. Mine usually beeps after a very short time which I assume means it's now focussed. I have tapped focus, zoomed in and it did seem to stay sharp.... whether that was luck or design I am not sure.

The rest I can't really help with but there are better brains than mine here and I'm looking forward to some tips!
Despite the frustrations and shortcomings, I am really pleased with the Osmo+.... I'm getting some great video that would have looked pretty awful with a hand-held video / DSLR!
2017-3-20
Use props
fanse4cb4c94
lvl.2
  • >>>
South Africa

The O+ does not have continuous auto focus. I has tap to focus. So you tap the area on you screen that needs to be in focus and it auto focuses for that local length. It makes a beep when not recording but is silent when recording, however you will see that soft ,sharp -soft sharp scenario as it locks for focus if you tap while recording. Infinity focus is miss leading as there are many owners on the forum with soft infinity footage.
2017-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules