Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Tip: How to Cancel Auto Landing in v01.03.0500 (DJI, please Fix)
12159 99 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeebs-9
First Officer
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-10 11:08
Thought you crashed your drone because you didn't have prop on correctly?

Ok.....Let me explain what happened in my more finer details so it's clear. I only had my drone for about 2 weeks. But in those 2 weeks. I had removed and replaced my props like every day I had it. Because I didn't use an official bag. I was worried about my props. So I always took them off. In that time I must of had about 38 flights. But in that flight that crashed my drone into the ground. My prop snapped off... Not because I put it on wrong. Because if I did (put them on wrong) the drone would of never flown. But that's not what happened. I put the bird up right in front of me at about 6-8 feet for about 60 seconds. As soon as I noticed the gimbal having trouble I brought it down. But as I brought it down the back left prop popped off and the drone went head first into the ground. Smashing the Gimbal.

But the above has nothing to do with what I'm talking about in this thread. Changing something that gives the user control is a very very dangerous thing. "I've been flying the drone a certain way for months." They change something like auto land. Your going to see most new pilots crashing their drones into the water and a few Vet pilots crash as well.
2017-4-10
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-10 10:45
We'll wait and see, I'm talking about pressing the stop button after you've closed the throttle stick.
That is what they have said, new firmware will be out shortly.
And I know the stop button stops a RTH, I was only talking about when the aircraft goes into auto land by lowering the throttle during hover.

Sorry, your reply was confusing, because you specifically said the Pause button is "only for the intelligent flying modes." So I was clarifying that's not the case and giving examples.
2017-4-10
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-10 12:25
Ok.....Let me explain what happened in my more finer details so it's clear. I only had my drone for about 2 weeks. But in those 2 weeks. I had removed and replaced my props like every day I had it. Because I didn't use an official bag. I was worried about my props. So I always took them off. In that time I must of had about 38 flights. But in that flight that crashed my drone into the ground. My prop snapped off... Not because I put it on wrong. Because if I did (put them on wrong) the drone would of never flown. But that's not what happened. I put the bird up right in front of me at about 6-8 feet for about 60 seconds. As soon as I noticed the gimbal having trouble I brought it down. But as I brought it down the back left prop popped off and the drone went head first into the ground. Smashing the Gimbal.

But the above has nothing to do with what I'm talking about in this thread. Changing something that gives the user control is a very very dangerous thing. "I've been flying the drone a certain way for months." They change something like auto land. Your going to see most new pilots crashing their drones into the water and a few Vet pilots crash as well.

I know this is not what you want to hear but there is no way a properly fitted prop will just "pop off". Considering you are constantly reattaching them, the odds of not fitting one of them properly is very high.  It is possible that the gimbal was vibrating because the prop was coming loose and causing vibration.
2017-4-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-10 20:08
Sorry, your reply was confusing, because you specifically said the Pause button is "only for the intelligent flying modes." So I was clarifying that's not the case and giving examples.

No problem, sorry if it was a little confusing.
I did ask if they would also have the stop button cancel the auto land and they said no.
But at least the throttle will be able to do it like before. Fimware should be anytime now.
2017-4-11
Use props
Gary Mac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

Yah, I tested this as soon as it was released... no Bueno.  I'm looking forward to the issue being addressed.  I would hope that ANY change in throttle from "full down" would stop the action, but at least giving "up" throttle would be intuitive.

Thanks for your assistance again Ken.
2017-4-11
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-4-10 20:36
I know this is not what you want to hear but there is no way a properly fitted prop will just "pop off". Considering you are constantly reattaching them, the odds of not fitting one of them properly is very high.  It is possible that the gimbal was vibrating because the prop was coming loose and causing vibration.

I know everyone loves to say it's pilot error. I should of checked the props. But that's exactly what I did. I have that stupid flight checklist app on my phone that I go through all the time lol. I had 4 witnesses watching as the drone got up in the air.  If a prop wasn't put on right it would of never gotten off the ground. And those things idiot proofed lol. You can't installed them wrong. And this is how I know the prop "popped off".  When I picked up the drone off the ground and looked at the motor where the prop (that popped off was). The studs that you insert into the motor (and then press down and rotate). They were still inside the motor. The actually prop was gone.. But like I said they were brand new out of the box.  

But I'm very happy that this new firmware should solve the subject problem. Like I said before. Super dangerous on DJI part. I don't see the reasoning for it from a coding stand point.  Sorry about derailing this thread.
2017-4-11
Use props
Katsumoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56407 ft
Austria

Hi Ken,
had last weekend same issue with autolanding, THREE TIMES !!!.......NO WAY to CANCEL !!! That was very frightened
The PAUSE_BUTTON SHOULD CANCEL ALL AUTOMATIC ACTIONS !!!
PLEASE DJI change that ! Don´t wanna lose my Mavic !
2017-4-11
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
United States

I just heard they fixed it! You can now throttle up to exit landing mode
2017-4-11
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-11 07:18
I know everyone loves to say it's pilot error. I should of checked the props. But that's exactly what I did. I have that stupid flight checklist app on my phone that I go through all the time lol. I had 4 witnesses watching as the drone got up in the air.  If a prop wasn't put on right it would of never gotten off the ground. And those things idiot proofed lol. You can't installed them wrong. And this is how I know the prop "popped off".  When I picked up the drone off the ground and looked at the motor where the prop (that popped off was). The studs that you insert into the motor (and then press down and rotate). They were still inside the motor. The actually prop was gone.. But like I said they were brand new out of the box.  

But I'm very happy that this new firmware should solve the subject problem. Like I said before. Super dangerous on DJI part. I don't see the reasoning for it from a coding stand point.  Sorry about derailing this thread.

If the studs were faulty then we would possibly hear of this happening more often. Could it be that when you pushed down and rotated the prop , you turned a bit too hard and that damaged the studs. They may have held long enough for you to get off the ground but eventually fractured all the way through.
2017-4-11
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

The NEW FW v01.03.0600   fixed the problem

Rich
2017-4-11
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Good news! With firmware v01.03.0600, DJI has added back the ability to abort a forced auto-landing by applying throttle. The Pause button still does nothing, but the Sport mode switch still also works. Thanks, DJI-Ken for helping with this request.
2017-4-13
Use props
fans36c806f5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 147513 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-28 07:50
I've forward this thread again to them so we'll see.

Thanks Ken. It's great to have people like you here.
Laterst FW fixed the issue for me too.
2017-4-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-13 06:05
Good news! With firmware v01.03.0600, DJI has added back the ability to abort a forced auto-landing by applying throttle. The Pause button still does nothing, but the Sport mode switch still also works. Thanks, DJI-Ken for helping with this request.

No problem, glad it's back to how it was.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans36c806f5 Posted at 2017-4-27 08:43
Thanks Ken. It's great to have people like you here.
Laterst FW fixed the issue for me too.

Thanks, have a great weekend.
2017-4-28
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-4-11 19:39
If the studs were faulty then we would possibly hear of this happening more often. Could it be that when you pushed down and rotated the prop , you turned a bit too hard and that damaged the studs. They may have held long enough for you to get off the ground but eventually fractured all the way through.

This is what I've told Hallmark007, Richj53 and DJI-Ken. Since that Mavic crashed (In DJI's refresh Care program). I brought another a new one. I maybe new to droning. But I double checked the props twice. Brand new fresh out of the box from DJI props. Not because my check list said so. But because I know how important props are for the flight of a drone. But I'm moving on. I do think your idea is possible. But it's impossible to install those props on wrong in my opinion.
2017-4-28
Use props
philw4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 140167 ft
United Kingdom

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-28 08:56
This is what I've told Hallmark007, Richj53 and DJI-Ken. Since that Mavic crashed (In DJI's refresh Care program). I brought another a new one. I maybe new to droning. But I double checked the props twice. Brand new fresh out of the box from DJI props. Not because my check list said so. But because I know how important props are for the flight of a drone. But I'm moving on. I do think your idea is possible. But it's impossible to install those props on wrong in my opinion.

My case is CAS-534849-M1H4G7

My drone decided that hovering at 1.2m above a river meant it should "auto land", and with the firmware at the time, I could not cancel it. I returned the drowned drone to DJI who charged me full price for a replacement, which I paid to get going again.

Now I know this is a defect, which they have fixed, I think that's unfair and I would like DJI to do something rather better than making a second profit from me for something caused by their mistake.

Can anyone here help?
2017-5-4
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
United States

philw4 Posted at 2017-5-4 04:12
My case is CAS-534849-M1H4G7

My drone decided that hovering at 1.2m above a river meant it should "auto land", and with the firmware at the time, I could not cancel it. I returned the drowned drone to DJI who charged me full price for a replacement, which I paid to get going again.

I feel bad for you man. I hope you find a positive out come.  Or anyone else that lost their craft this way.
2017-5-4
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-11 07:18

jeebs , I always thought about what would happen if one of the tabs you explained did have
           a fracture in it --- you would have never seen it --- this was the only possibility and cause
           for a prop to fly off in my opinion -- you have proven to me that this is a very possible issue
           and not hard for me to believe --- Sorry to hear you went down --- this was just an incident
           that nobody could have caught B4 flight
2017-5-4
Use props
djiuser_KFJ3ZIPPdigz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 102621 ft
Germany

Who would have know the throttle and sport switch can cancel land? All I know is the stop button should stop everything!! I've lost my mavic pro very recently too due to this bloody auto landing issue. I have been flying many times with 20% battery before and have no issue. This time, it forced land by itself. I pressed stop many times and it fails to cancel landing. At the end, I have to find a bush and crash land. I cannot retrieve my aircraft too. Completely panic and depressed experience. Contact DJI and they insisted it was misoperation. But how could the user cannot full control of the aircraft even the battery low. It was 20% and I have plenty of time to come home. If it forces land on highway I would have caused catastrophic disaster by causing accident or kill someone. DJI tries to make second profit by not changing the firmware of giving user to cancel landing by stop button.  Please anyone, reconsider if you want to buy DJI products again.
2018-3-1
Use props
fans9639465a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 187940 ft

United States

Just had a similar problem.
I've had my Mavic Pro for over a year now, and am an experienced pilot. I fly it at least 2-3 times a week just to stay in practice, and consider myself to be a competent pilot with it.

I was out flying my Mavic Pro, completely away from ANY restricted airspace or geofencing. Around my neighborhood as always with no problems.
I was out getting used to the fixed wing mode, and having a great time.
Everything was going smoothly as usual, until I came close to the limit (25%) on the battery power. So, like always I hit the return-to-home and was watching my drone start heading back for a regular landing.
Unfortunately at just the wrong time a headwind started to pick up and getting home was going to be close, but still possible. However the battery level was dropping quickly, and then at 13% battery the drone went into it's automatic landing mode.
I tried to cancel the automatic landing mode so I could fly it another 190 feet to the road where I could land safely.
However when I went to cancel the automatic landing mode, the button was grey and I was unable to cancel it. I tried everything I knew to get out of the mode while I still had about 10-13% battery, but nothing happened!
I've had to do this before (with less than 10% battery), and successfully cancelled the auto landing mode, flew the drone about 300 feet to a safe landing site.

However when I tried to do just that, I COULD NOT CANCEl THE AUTO LANDING!

I'm fighting with the controller, trying to figure out what was happening and the drone just hovered above a bunch of pine trees because it wasn't a good landing place.

If I were able to cancel the auto-landing, fly it manually another 190 feet I would have been able to land easily and safely on a dirt road.
Instead the controls would not respond to anything, and eventually the drone ran out of battery power, the props stopped and it landed in the top of an 80-foot tall pine tree!
It looked like it had a rather soft landing in the tree, I just hope it wasn't damaged.
Since the forest is so dense it's difficult to even find it, I'll have to go back out tomorrow and search for it. I don't even know if I'll be able to see it up in the tree.

So my question is why the hell did DJI make it so you can no longer cancel the auto landing? You used to be able to do so, but now you cannot!
If I had been able to cancel the auto-landing like before my Mavic Pro would not be stuck 80 feet up a pine tree!
DJI should have warned all its users about this critically important change to the firmware, had I known I would have changed how I fly it.
DJI FIX THIS, NOTIFY YOUR CUSTOMERS WHEN YOU MAKE RADICAL CHANGES THAT COULD AFFECT THE SAFETY OF OPERATING A DRONE!

After reviewing my flight log, I noticed that I started the RTH at  about 40%, it flew for only about 1 minute or so and the battery suddenly dropped to 20%!  I'm guessing that this battery is nearing the end of it's life. Also when it stopped to do the auto-landing due to low battery, after about 20 seconds it went from 13% to 10% and then almost immediately went to 1%.
Looks like if I ever get the drone out of the tree I'll be buying a new battery.

Regardless, if I was still able to have cancelled the auto-landing like I had to do a couple times previously I could have flown my drone a short distance to a safe place to land it!
DJI changed something that made flying the drone LESS SAFE!
DJI FIX THIS!
2019-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules