Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro Problem - Loss of Video and Gimbal Control During Flight
123Next >
19956 111 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MentalEcho
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9413 ft
United States

Good day.

I've had my Mavic Pro for about a month now.  I've really liked flying the Mavic and have felt it to be overall stable in flight - even when compared to my old faithful P3P. Fondness aside, I’ve had a significant issue that’s giving me quite a bit of concern about my new DJI product.  Sometimes, while in flight, I will lose control of the Gimbal and Camera feed, at which time the gimbal appears to be 'freaking out' and bouncing around randomly - something that I never experienced in my many flights with my P3P.

Since my first Mavic flight, I've been experiencing an odd, intermittent problem/issue with the Gimbal/Camera.  When the issue occurs, the video will cut out momentarily and the gimbal/camera will seemingly "freak out" for a few moments, before returning to normal function. This problem doesn't occur during every flight - some times I've been able to fly all 3 of my batteries without observing the issue once, while other times I've experienced the issue multiple times in a single charge's flight.

I believe that the issue seems to happen more frequently when I am trying to begin recording a video.  It seems that I will press the video record button on the controller, but I will notice that the recording indicator shows "0:00" on the screen.  Then often the video feed will 'flicker', going black and flickering in/out.  During this period of intermittent video feed loss, the Gimbal seems to be resetting / bouncing around / pointing the camera in different random directions.  Often, the video will return, but the camera orientation will be not quite right - meaning that it will be at an odd horizontal tilt, and out of focus.

Also, during this time, the camera/gimbal is completely unresponsive to the controls.  While experiencing the issue, flying the Mavic will result in camera moving with the pitch/angle of the aircraft itself (e.g. video feed not being stabilized by the 3d gimbal, so reflecting the motion of the Mavic in the video feed) – no recording will occur during this time, making it difficult to demonstrate via video (just remains at “0:00”). When I’ve been livestreaming, it appears to terminate the stream when this issue occurs. Also, while recovering from this 'freak out', the camera will remain out of focus - with the focus seemingly bouncing to various values, before eventually properly focusing and returning control of the camera to me/controller.

To date, the issue seems to happen for 5 to 20 seconds before returning control of the camera/gimbal to the controller - needless to say, this is very scary when it happens at low altitude and lasts for ~20s.  While it seems that the drone's flight controls respond normally during the gimbal/camera freak out, it's very disorienting to have this happen while carrying out maneuvers.  So far, regular operation has returned in <30 seconds each time the issue has happened.

I am fully up to date with the most recent firmware on my batteries, controller and the Mavic itself.  When observing the issue, all systems are operating on a full charge.  I am using the latest DJI 4 client on Android (MXPE/XT1575). I am flying without the Gimbal cover – and have ensured gimbal is correctly seated.

What are some possible causes of this issue?  Do I have a defective unit or is there something that I can do to resolve this?  I will be traveling soon and so I’d like to resolve this problem as quickly as possible.

Thanks!
2017-3-20
Use props
CuaC
First Officer
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Your drone seems to be faulty. Did this happen from the very first flight? If so send it in to be fixed/replaced under guarantee. If it happened just after a firm update, you can try to connect the drone with DJI Assistant and refresh your firmware or downgrade/upgrade again.
2017-3-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please provide some video of the gimbal camera issue for better assistance?
You could try to follow the video tutorial to check your gimbal first.
Then do the IMU calibration on a complete flat surface then do the gimbal calibration again.
2017-3-21
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-21 03:07
Could you please provide some video of the gimbal camera issue for better assistance?
You could try to follow the video tutorial to check your gimbal first.
Then do the IMU calibration on a complete flat surface then do the gimbal calibration again.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to get a video of this. As stated, a big part of the problem is that the video stops and that video capability controls are unavailable while the Mavic is freaking out - while the controller will beep when I press the camera button, there's no response and the video time counter remains at "0:00" (which may last a couple of seconds to 30s or more).

This has been a busy week for me, so I've not been able to fly much. I am going to try to reproduce this week if I can - carrying an extra camera with me so that I can hopefully capture what the 'freak out' looks like to me on the display.

Curious - can interference cause the gimbal/camera to freak out / reset?  I ask, though I've not been warned of strong interference when the issue occurs (I've actually been in pretty remote locations).

For what it's worth, I am going to do my best to describe the typical symptoms that I've seen: Sometimes the issue seems to be kicked off by pressing 'record video' button, though some times it has occurred while already in the process of recording a video.  I don't believe that I've ever seen the issue without video being in play.  When the issue occurs, the video feed on my Android device will go black, though all other info/controls displayed in the Go 4 app are still visible - I don't believe that I've seen any error message displayed while it's freaking out.  After a few seconds, the video feed will return, though sometime's it's garbled or pixelated - often it's out of focus / blurry.  While it's freaking out, the gimbal/camera appears to be moving around - pointing down, back up, scanning the horizon, flipping between horizontal and vertical... After 5-60s, the camera's orientation will return to normal (facing the horizon or ground, though not necessarily where I had it pointed before the freakout beings) - at which time it seems to struggle for a few seconds to focus again, before returning regular camera control to me.

I've reviewed several of my flight logs in an effort to find anything reporting an error, though nothing has stood out just yet.  As mentioned, I will try to reproduce this week some more as I get time.  For what it's worth, I've performed the complete pre-check a number of times, though the issue appears to persist.  

Are there any operating conditions that can describe the above issue, aside from hardware/software defect?

Thanks.
2017-3-21
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

duplicate post
2017-3-21
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
United States

MentalEcho Posted at 2017-3-21 10:19
Unfortunately, I've been unable to get a video of this. As stated, a big part of the problem is that the video stops and that video capability controls are unavailable while the Mavic is freaking out - while the controller will beep when I press the camera button, there's no response and the video time counter remains at "0:00" (which may last a couple of seconds to 30s or more).

This has been a busy week for me, so I've not been able to fly much. I am going to try to reproduce this week if I can - carrying an extra camera with me so that I can hopefully capture what the 'freak out' looks like to me on the display.

Try reformatting your the Micro SD card in the Mavic, you might be surprised what this will do, I have seen it remady this issue.
Regards,
-d.
2017-3-21
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

bunny too Posted at 2017-3-21 10:24
Try reformatting your the Micro SD card in the Mavic, you might be surprised what this will do.
Regards,
-d.

Thanks for the suggestion, bunny too.

I've actually reformatted a couple of times - and have even gone as far as to get a new one... This issue has happened while using 3 different SD cards (two of which I've used in my P3P without issue).

Additionally, I'd think that a corrupted SD card shouldn't cause the gimbal to begin moving around erratically..
2017-3-21
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
United States

MentalEcho Posted at 2017-3-21 10:30
Thanks for the suggestion, bunny too.

I've actually reformatted a couple of times - and have even gone as far as to get a new one... This issue has happened while using 3 different SD cards (two of which I've used in my P3P without issue).

I know but I have seen a bad card cause the gimbal to go around in circles at a fabulous pace, reformat the card and all worked well.  Gremlin?
Regards,
-d.
2017-3-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

MentalEcho Posted at 2017-3-21 10:19

Besides, do you have another mobile device to test with?
Please keep us posted.
2017-3-22
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-22 23:37
Besides, do you have another mobile device to test with?
Please keep us posted.

Yes. So far I've tested with my MXPE (2015), LGG3 and Samsung Galaxy S2 8" (sm-t710).  

On my P3P, I usually bounced back and forth between the S2 and my iPad Air, depending on which I felt like taking / had with me for other purposes.

I'd like to test it with the iPad Air, but unfortunately the Mavic's controller doesn't support the device's size out of the box. I was considering buying a mount, but when considering the issues that I am having, I'm just not sure that I am keeping this and so I am not really sure that I want to spend even more money on this all.

At the end of the day, I believe that DJI needs to provide better guidance on what devices are supported and what ones aren't.  They've stated that iOS and Android are supported, but when you get to reading around on forums about Mavic errors, you just see a lot of user/owner speculation about what ones *may* cause problems and what ones *may* be better based on their personal experience - which I don't believe is acceptable when considering the cost of these and the potential danger of these when the controlling device begins to act up. DJI needs to provide and maintain a list of most circulated models - and needs to officially respond in forums when people ask about devices not listed.

This is now the 2nd issue thread that I have open on here - my 1 month old Mavic now semi-regularly freaks out with the Camera/Gimbal, and yesterday I had the "Aircraft Disconnected" error while flying out in the country away from interference (was hoping to reproduce the camera issue so that I could record it with another camera). I've reviewed the Flight Logs (as well as the additional log data in Assistant) and there was no warning of interference or anything - just completely lost connection in the app, despite having nearly full signal (would not reconnect auto).  

Scary times lately with this thing - I have a case open with DJI for the issues, so we shall see.
2017-3-23
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

MentalEcho Posted at 2017-3-23 03:34
Yes. So far I've tested with my MXPE (2015), LGG3 and Samsung Galaxy S2 8" (sm-t710).  

On my P3P, I usually bounced back and forth between the S2 and my iPad Air, depending on which I felt like taking / had with me for other purposes.

I have a case open with DJI for the issues, so we shall see

So even after the behavior you described they haven't yet asked you to send it in for a warranty repair? I've seen a few other posts like yours describing the Gimbals Gone Wild type of behavior and as best I can recall it always wound up being a defective aircraft that had to be sent back to DJI.
2017-3-23
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-23 04:17
I have a case open with DJI for the issues, so we shall see

So even after the behavior you described they haven't yet asked you to send it in for a warranty repair? I've seen a few other posts like yours describing the Gimbals Gone Wild type of behavior and as best I can recall it always wound up being a defective aircraft that had to be sent back to DJI.

In all fairness, I didn't open a ticket with DJI until yesterday afternoon.  

When I opened this thread a few days ago, it was in the hopes that someone was going to be like "Ah, classic Mavic noob - here's what you do to fix this problem that you've unknowingly created"... I generally assume that I am either to blame for the problem, at least in part, or that a known solution exists that I am just currently unaware of... But as you're suggesting, it seems unlikely that this is the case with my issues from what I've been reading.

As indicated, I was attempting to reproduce the Gimbal/Camera issue yesterday evening, when I experienced the far more concerning "Aircraft Disconnect" in midflight...  Between these 2 issues, flying is more stressful than enjoyable for me, so I've opted to request DJI to step in and provide me with a solution.

About 12hrs ago, I got an email from DJI saying that my case had been recieved and was being passed over to a technician for analysis, and that I'd be contacted 'soon'.. So playing the waiting game now.. Will report back.
2017-3-23
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

MentalEcho Posted at 2017-3-23 04:25
In all fairness, I didn't open a ticket with DJI until yesterday afternoon.  

When I opened this thread a few days ago, it was in the hopes that someone was going to be like "Ah, classic Mavic noob - here's what you do to fix this problem that you've unknowingly created"... I generally assume that I am either to blame for the problem, at least in part, or that a known solution exists that I am just currently unaware of... But as you're suggesting, it seems unlikely that this is the case with my issues from what I've been reading.

I generally assume that I am either to blame for the problem, at least in part, or that a known solution exists that I am just currently unaware of

I wish more people who posted here took that approach. It would save everyone involved a lot of time and grief.

When I opened this thread a few days ago, it was in the hopes that someone was going to be like "Ah, classic Mavic noob - here's what you do to fix this problem that you've unknowingly created"...

I hear you: I'd much prefer to be told I had done something wrong than to have to send the Mavic back and wait for a replacement. Unfortunately, I don't expect that'll be the case here.
2017-3-23
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

Just wanted to pop back in and provide an update..

I will try to do this as close to real time as I can, as I figure that the information / transparency may help other owners and potential owners.

I was reached out to via email by DJI mid-morning today, requesting that I send my Mavic in for diagnostics/repair/replacement.  It was stated in the email that I needed to complete a form / self service repair request form.  I've filled the form out and submitted it, have an open case, and I am now currently awaiting the UPS label to be sent to me (~30 minutes as of time of this writing)...  

I will try to provide another update once I get the shipping label - indicating the timeframe.
2017-3-23
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

UPS Shipping Label landed in my inbox at 8:25AM CST this morning.
2017-3-24
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

Today I packaged up my Mavic, Remote and DJI RMA form... Handed off my package to my UPS driver at 3:30PM CST - now to play the waiting game.
2017-3-24
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

MentalEcho Posted at 2017-3-24 12:48
Today I packaged up my Mavic, Remote and DJI RMA form... Handed off my package to my UPS driver at 3:30PM CST - now to play the waiting game.

Good luck; I hope you get your bird back soon.

now to play the waiting game

Whenever anyone talks about "playing the waiting game" I'm always reminded of this from the "Mr. Plow" episode where they've just watched a commercial run in the middle of the night intended to bring customers to Homer's snow plow business:

2017-3-24
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

The only problem I had with the Mavic since getting it in January was similar .The 1st few flights over two days the gimbal would start bouncing up and down and not stabilizing well . The video feed would pixelate and freeze up as well . I was running a Galaxy S4 device at the time dedicated to the DJIGo4 app . The next day I switched to my Droid Turbo phone and it has been flawless ever since .
2017-3-24
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

Howdy again.  Just back with an obligatory status update...

Not sure why, but it appears that the slowest UPS shipping option available is what DJI's gone with - it is what it is, and that's what it is (because that's THE option).

Here's my tracking info for the curious:
Local Time
Activity
CARSON, CA, US
03/30/2017
12:37 P.M.
Delivered
Cerritos, CA, United States
03/30/2017
6:02 A.M.
Out For Delivery
03/30/2017
1:42 A.M.
Arrival Scan
Vernon, CA, United States
03/30/2017
1:14 A.M.
Departure Scan
Vernon, CA, United States
03/29/2017
10:59 A.M.
Arrival Scan
Nashville, TN, United States
03/27/2017
12:46 A.M.
Departure Scan
Nashville, TN, United States
03/25/2017
12:43 A.M.
Arrival Scan
[REDACTED], United States
03/24/2017
9:14 P.M.
Departure Scan
United States
03/24/2017
9:24 A.M. (ET)
Order Processed: Ready for UPS

So... 6 days just to get it there.. Hoping for a quick and positive turn around while at DJI...

Just checked my case's status and there's been no change recorded there yet - Still sitting at "To be Received"... Hoping it gets processed sooner rather than later - time shall tell...

Anywhos.. There's the latest info that I have for those curious about the process...

2017-3-30
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

Obligatory update - no update.

2 days and 8 hours since UPS showed as delivered, though DJI case is still showing as waiting to receive...  

Current DJI Case Status:
"Please send back your product as soon as possible. If the product has not been received within 30 days, the case will be automatically closed.
Once the product is received, it will take 1 working day for unpacking. Please wait patiently."

Clearly, this status isn't 100% accurate since we've moved into day 3 (~56hr) since delivery.
2017-4-1
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

My case is now showing that DJI has recieved my Mavic Pro (~12:30 CST) - current status of "Conducting Damage Assessment", which has an indicated estimated timeframe of 1 day.  I also recieved an automated email indicating my Mavic and Controller Serial Numbers as being items recieved - no mention of the gimbal/camera cover, which was also included, though I assume its absence is due to the absence of it having a serial.
2017-4-3
Use props
screwdriver
New
United States

I'm having this same issue, so interested to see if sending it in fixed it.
2017-4-3
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

This is some video of mine that happened on the weekend The video saved to my phone only and not to the SD card  Gimbal tilt than has a fit at the end!
2017-4-3
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

Bintryin Posted at 2017-4-3 13:25
This is some video of mine that happened on the weekend The video saved to my phone only and not to the SD card  Gimbal tilt than has a fit at the end!
https://youtu.be/9sVO0PgVb3E

Yeah, that's kinda similar to the issue that mine was having - except when I say that mine "freaked out", it was having a grand mal seizure in comparison to what's shown in this video   
But the part where the camera is off tilt, the flickering at the end, as well as the bouncing to refocus were all also present in mine's "freak out".  

The main difference between what I see in this video and what I observed in my live feed (at which time the video would stop recording if it was recording) is that it would go completely black for some matter of time (though all of the Go  4 control data and UI was still visible).  Then, when the video would return, the camera would point down, back up, perhaps back down, back up and then scan towards the side, then bounce back down, then up, then scan the horizon - all in jerky motions, which it may randomly repeat some random number of times.

Have you troubleshot your issue any?  Curious about the surrounding details with your issue - e.g. 'were you near interference', 'what kind of device are you using with your controller' and the sort...  What are your plans going forward with yours?  Planning on just living with it or going to send it in?  Across all of the forums that I've been posting in about this Mavic issue, I've probably gotten about 4 responders who feel that they experienced exactly the same issue as me - 1 of which blamed the controlling device, the other 3 incidating they had to send back into DJI to replacement/repair.
2017-4-4
Use props
fans10bb72a5
New
Flight distance : 86608 ft
Russia

I have the same problem. Tried to make a lot of tests, but still can't understand why it happends. "Lost signal, requesting RTH"
2017-4-4
Use props
fansd6613042
New
Germany

I have the same issue. From my tests so far I can only reproduce this with 4K 30fps. If I use 4K 25fps I don't have these issues. So this might strengthen the assumption that this might be some sort of processing power issue.

Also I was flying in the woods the other day and didn't have any issue whatsoever. Which then led me to the idea that this might as well also be something heat related, which again could add up to the argument that the hardware is having issues with its processing power. It hasn't happened when I was flying fast either, so far, as far as I remember. It always occurred when the Mavic was mostly hovering or doing very slow movements, somewhere in the sun, while shooting a scene. But this all of course is very hypothetical as I haven't tried this very long. It may as well just be the mood of the drone on that day.

I contacted support on that and they want me to send my drone in as well.
2017-4-4
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

MentalEcho Posted at 2017-4-4 04:36
Yeah, that's kinda similar to the issue that mine was having - except when I say that mine "freaked out", it was having a grand mal seizure in comparison to what's shown in this video   
But the part where the camera is off tilt, the flickering at the end, as well as the bouncing to refocus were all also present in mine's "freak out".  

I was near High voltage power lines . I tested it when i got home it looked ok also I was in 4k 30fps. I just got a new extreme Pro  64 gig card v30 Will try on the weekend if the weather is good and I will let you know. I did a full recal after the test i did at home , but not tested yet.
2017-4-4
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

"Non update" update.

2 days sitting at: "Conducting Damage Assessment  - It will take 1 working day to conduct damage assessment. Please wait patiently."  

So far, none of the stated timelines have been accurate in this process - sharing for the curious.

Updates to follow.
2017-4-5
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

At approximately 11AM CST, I was emailed by DJI indicating that the assessment phase had completed and that repairs were underway, which are slated to take 3-4 days.

Here's the official text:
"It will take 3-4 working days for repair and test. Please wait patiently."

The emailed invoice indicates:
Item        Quantity        Unit Price(USD)        Total Price(USD)
Mavic Pro Gimbal & Camera        1        179.00        179.00
Service Charge        2        65.00/H        130.00
Freight:                        0.00
Total Amount:                        309.00
DJI Care deduction:                        0.00
Total Payment:                        0.00

We shall see, as the "1 day" damage assessment actually took closer to 3...  Not sure if I should go in with the expectation of addition or multiplication on this one (addition: 5-6 / multiplication: 9-12) based on my timeline experiences so far...

Admittedly, I'm somewhat bummed about the proposed resolution.  While I certainly wasn't holding my breath after reading other's experiences, I feel what's "most right" in this situation is for them to send me a new Mavic Pro - as this device was purchased directly from DJI new and then was sent to me defective by them (issues on first flight).  Now, through no fault of my own, I will essentially own what is a 'refurbished unit', which detracts from the monetary value of the aircraft, imho.  

Had the unit become defective through wear and tear after a few months into ownership, I'd be more understanding of the DJI proposed resolution... But from my perspective, I gave them $1000 for a new unit, which I was never able to fly without experiencing quality-control based problems originating on their end, and now they are going to send me a refurbished unit because it works out best for them to do so...

I did call into DJI to express my opinion - indicating that "I am essentially losing value due to problems originating on your side of our relationship".  Of course, I was simply reassurred repeatedly that the technicians would do a quality job and ensure that I had a functional Mavic - which, based on my experiences to date with my BRAND NEW Mavic, I have a difficult time believing 100%.  Of course, this experience will be something that I share with the people who follow my reviews and with the many people who approach me in real life and ask if buying one of these is worth the money.

More updates to follow.
2017-4-6
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

Arghhh... Why does it never seem to be "I was prepared for poor service but got excellent service" - 9.9/10 times, it's the opposite.. Sigh...

So... 1 week ago I was told 3-4 days... I've been traveling for work and so have just left it be, hoping I'd check back in to find that DJI had lived up to their end of the bargain...

Alas...

Under Repair
1.Under Repair
2.Waiting for Flight Test  
3.Waiting for Quality Assurance  
It will take 3-4 working days for repair and test. Please wait patiently.

So... 7 days for a "3 - 4 day process" - and I'm still at step 1 of 3 in this phase... No progress nor any updates from DJI regarding delays...

I loved my P3P - heck, I still do...  Can't say that I am currently happy with my Mavic purchase - defective out of the box, delayed repairs, poor communication/support, and I will essentially own a refurb unit when I paid for a new unit at no fault of my own (aside from placing my faith and money in DJI).

More updates pending.
2017-4-13
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

Friendly, yet worthless support....  Don't waste your time calling in... You will be greeted with an overly cheerful and friendly person who will do nothing for you but say friendly things that actually do nothing to address your problem.  You will be given personal empty guarantees of follow up and callback, being told repeatedly to "keep the line open because we are definitely calling you back today", only to have not call back - this has happened to me twice now with two different reps, so I'm betting it's likely to happen with the 3rd, 4th and so on (probably the script).  

The most honest answer that I've gotten about my already-nearly-one-month-case (now 9 days into a 3-4 day process) is "we may be able to repair it as early as next week" - which of course means absolutely nothing of value because it 'may be next week' or it 'may be some week after next week'.  

$1400 of my money to DJI for nothing but a run around - really hoping another company comes along with comparable offerings soon to knock them off of their monopoly... I bet they'd offer better service then...
2017-4-15
Use props
fans4d3d19a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 577241 ft
United Kingdom

This is pretty worrying. I'm a recent mavic owner. Generally all is okay, but lets say every other flight there will be a glitch which last a few.seconds- video feed cuts, the horizon / gimbal is suddenly at an angle, and the camera refocuses, then the horizon levels out. the video stops recording when this happens and needs restarting. I'm trying to establish whether the unit is defective, or if this is a general issue these drones suffer with...Which hopefully can be resolved via firmware.

I'm considering returning mine to the shop and stating it's faulty (because that behaviour doesn't seem normal). But I've bought this dji care which is linked to this drones sn. Can that be transferred?

I hope you get an answer as to what this is and get a working drone back...
2017-4-16
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

Looks like we're currently working with the "multiplication factor"... Now into day 12 of a "3-4 day" process...  Still no call back from support as was promised... Fantastic.
2017-4-18
Use props
fansfc3e3ebf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 387608 ft
Australia

Mate, I'm experiencing the identical issue. It's like the gimbal goes beszerk for about 30 seconds and you have no control over it. This has happened a few times in total. Appears to occur randomly every once in a while.

What I have noticed is:

1. Like you, I can't record when this happens. The record timer is stuck at 0:00
2. The drone has been stationary when it occurs but quite high in elevation
3. From what I can recall, it's generally been in colder environment but can't be sure

Details of my setup below:
Purchase date: 08/03/17
Firmware: v01.03.0400
iPhone 6

I have recently updated firmware to v01.03.0600, but yet to test.

Hope you get a response soon from DJI.
2017-4-19
Use props
fans5bd748c4
New
Flight distance : 1682818 ft
United States

fansfc3e3ebf Posted at 2017-4-19 03:00
Mate, I'm experiencing the identical issue. It's like the gimbal goes beszerk for about 30 seconds and you have no control over it. This has happened a few times in total. Appears to occur randomly every once in a while.

What I have noticed is:

I am seeing the exact same issue here.  After reading this seems to do it after hovering or sitting for a while so heat related sounds possible.  Although I have had flights similar without problem.  Seen it 5 times now... will try updating the firmware b4 contacting DJI.  Agree this is very frustrating with a new machine when My P3A has years and thousands of trouble free hours on it.
2017-4-19
Use props
KTodd
lvl.1
United States

I'm having the same issue @MentalEcho .  It is very annoying.  Sketches me out as who wants to fly a thing acting so erratic?

The thing that worries me is since it is an intermittant failure, who knows if DJI will catch while analyzing the unit?  Unless it is a known hardware problem that they have a fix for.

In any case, watching this thread and seeing what you learn.   Quite a number of people are having this problem.
2017-4-23
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

Just a final update on this thread...

I got my Mavic Pro back from DJI on 4/21/2017 - the originally reported defect still exists (has manifested in 3 out of 4 flights so far exactly as described).

Total time for case to be "resolved"(still not resolved, but..):
3/23/2017 - 4/21/2017 (29 days)

Outcome:
DJI 'repaired' my new Mavic - claiming to have replaced the Gimbal and Camera assembly.  The issue still exists with my repaired unit - the exact same problem (gimbal/camera freakout) has happened in 3 of my last 4 test flights.  Also worth mentioning is that in my 4 flights, I've been unable to fix the direction of the Mavic on a set location - as it slowly drifts to the left when left uncorrected...  Additionally worth mentioning, the aircraft and controller were filthy upon return - with it feeling like some sort of grease or oil smudges are on the controller (nothing like having a brand new controller that was supposed to have only your hands on it now looking like a tire mechanic played with it before degreasing).  Also, the DJI Mavic box that I sent my Mavic in for repairs is now bend, damaged and has what appearas to be dried blood on it - sure that coupled with the fact that I now own a refurb will really drive up my resale value /s

The Future:
Support was not fun to work with. They are friendly, but you will quickly realize that you have one option: "take our repair how we give it". While friendly, they are not going to try to work with you to ensure you're satisfied or feel fairly treated.

Not sure what I am going to do now. I've been suggested to work with my credit card company to process a charge back against DJI - as the credit card company views this as DJI having failed to live up to the basic terms of our agreement since they 1) never send me a 100% functional new aircraft 2) refuse to send me a 100% functional new aircraft (e.g. trying to force me to accept a refurbished unit for the new one I paid for).  

Who knows..  Now to waste even more time on something DJI could have just resolved in a matter of days by doing the correct thing and sending me a new functional Mavic to replace the new defective one they originally send me.  DJI's refusal to take back a new aircraft that they themselves determined to be defective is maddening. If you order a shirt from Macy's, arrive to find that it has a hole in it, are they going to insist you wait while they perform a "free repair" on the hole? No, they are going to give you a new shirt because you bought a new shirt. DJI plays by different rules.
2017-4-25
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.3
United States

fansfc3e3ebf Posted at 2017-4-19 03:00

What I have noticed is:

Hopefully you get a better resolution than I did - posted my update before this reply.. But the long and short is that my issue still exists after repairs - am considering going through my CC company to reverse the charges since my CC company says DJI is failing to live up to our agreement (which was to send me a new working craft, not a defective one, for the $1400 that I gave them)... We shall see. Good luck!
2017-4-25
Use props
WindShear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 379377 ft
United States

Add me to the list of victims of this problem.
2017-4-25
Use props
fansfc3e3ebf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 387608 ft
Australia

What a horror return warranty story.

I had a test flight since updating the firmware and experienced it again (once) during a 20 minute flight. The only other thing I can compare the symptoms to, are:

1. when the gimbal/camera initializing during startup, and,
2. when you toggle between ntfs and PAL settings and the camera resets.

For now, and after hearing your experience, I'll hold onto the aircraft a bit longer.

The CC dispute does seem a fair outcome.
2017-4-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules