Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to invert the gimbal control
123Next >
33672 112 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8d1aa932
lvl.1
Flight distance : 200 ft
United Kingdom

Agreed with it feeling counter intuitive, Every game i play on ps4 i have to invert the Y axias on the controller, for me pulling down on something would be like pulling a string attached to someones head, they would look up, and pushing up on the back of the head would make the head look down..  So on the controller i am forever moving the camera the wrong way for a split second..  I'm glad they might be looking into a fix for us strange folk...
2017-7-13
Use props
DC-01
lvl.1
Thailand

Coming from an ROV background i find the jog wheel idea for a camera weird anyway, i would prefer to be able to use the small joystick on the bottom right of the hand controller screen, and also beable to choose inverted or standard. its like a Playstation controller, some guys n girls like standard for camera operation and personally i prefer inverted.... its always nice to have an option.. and wouldnt be hard to instal in a software upgrade for sure.
2017-7-19
Use props
Canadrone
New
Flight distance : 344 ft
Italy

+1 to the switch being added. Wouldn't affect users who are happy the way it is. Similar to reversing mouse-look in an fps game.
2017-11-23
Use props
David_B
lvl.1
Flight distance : 269780 ft
Romania

So here we are in April 2018, almost 6 months down the road and no software switch for the gimbal - any news DJI? For the price of a drone from you guys, i think its a small request ;-) you can customize the sticks to any liking, why not the gimbal wheel?
2018-4-12
Use props
GLF
lvl.1
United States

David_B Posted at 2018-4-12 22:58
So here we are in April 2018, almost 6 months down the road and no software switch for the gimbal - any news DJI? For the price of a drone from you guys, i think its a small request ;-) you can customize the sticks to any liking, why not the gimbal wheel?

Agree.  Anyone who is a GA pilot and adjusted the trim on an aircraft would agree also.
2018-4-25
Use props
Breezer74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

I thought it was just me.  I'm pretty new to drones, but every time I fly I roll the gimbal wheel the wrong way.  Forwards down, back up seems logical and intuitive.
2018-4-28
Use props
Marian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

Yeap, it is definitely a thing to get used to.
2018-4-28
Use props
Sp1k3
lvl.2
Austria

I started this Topic over 6 months ago in the hope that DJI would do something about it immediately in one of their updates. And I was positive they would as it is such a simple thing to do by software, but to my disappointment they never did. This just helped me to see that this forum is simply pointless. The DJI team simply does not care about satisfying their costumer requests. It is as simple as that.
So this is what I learned:  don't waist your time even trying, at least not on this forum.
So what I did was to simply invert the polarity of the switch on the remote, which by the way voids your warranty, and it is not simple nor straightforward, but it is possible.
UNfortuntately it is that or you learn a way that is completely contrary to human nature to move your gimbal around...
2018-4-29
Use props
mesman01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63507 ft
United States

I have been flying radio control aircraft, helicopters, and general aviation aircraft for 40+ years and it is very counter-intuitive the way DJI has set up the gimbal control. I have also been a software engineer in the past and adding a selection in the gimbal menu of the GO 4 app would be trivial to implement. Please DJI, you can leave the default behavior alone, but give users the ability to have a choice in the gimbal controller wheel behavior/direction.
2018-5-3
Use props
fansc5371054
New

+1 from me too. This seems like a simple fix.
2018-6-6
Use props
Back Forty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 215978 ft
Canada

I also would love to see this implemented. pull back, go up. My kids disagree, but I always get into a shot and screw it up... I'm not really comfortable reversing my polarity in my controller with my warranty still active. My droids have been working on my gimbal (as seen in my avatar) but have yet to come up with anything that also wont void my warranty. I'm holding out for DJI to step up to the plate.
2018-6-12
Use props
Vzgary1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1132185 ft
  • >>>
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2017-3-20 12:05
How is it counterintuitive ? You rotate the wheel down towards you and it pans down and rotate up away from you to pan up. That seems the most sensible way to do it.
You can adjust the rate and smoothness in the app.

Actually, the way the wheel is mounted, you turn it left and right, not forward or backwards  

For those of us who fly RC Airplanes and Helicopters, it seems backward because I push forward on my RC Transmitter control stick for airplane to go down and for Heli, the front of heli will tilt down. Hard to explain otherwise, I constantly move the camera the wrong direction when I turn the control wheel. As others say, it isn't intuititive for some reason. I have to think about which way the camera lens will go if I turn wheel left or right.
2018-9-9
Use props
NewHeli
lvl.1
United States

I see this is an old thread and still not addressed (on my new Mavic 2 Pro)! I come from an RC background and always move the gimbal the wrong way. Would love to be able to reverse this, please DJI! I made a suggestion from DJI Go 4 in the "Me" section as someone previously suggested--we'll see what happens. If everyone does it maybe we'll finally get it?
2018-9-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10115361 ft
Canada

DrEMHmrk2 Posted at 2017-3-20 18:11
Its backwards to anyone who didn't learn to fly with a DJI drone. I'm always fighting myself with it, along with the exposure wheel.

and believe me you are not the only one DrEMHmrk2
2018-9-15
Use props
katho3d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32989 ft
Austria

This gets my vote too.  I´ve also made a suggestion in the DJI Go 4 app, would be a very helpful feature.
2018-10-13
Use props
Unlikely
lvl.1
Philippines

Yes, I agree.  Please give us the option to reverse the Gimbal direction.  For a new user, it is counter-intuitive.
2018-11-17
Use props
Grant Higginson
New

Canada

+1 for requesting this to be a feature
All it needs is an option to invert the gimbal wheel control.
2019-1-27
Use props
fans24a5866f
New

United States

Yes, the tilt control dial on the Mavic Air is counterintuitive. Please add a SW switch to reverse it.
2019-2-9
Use props
Zenon S.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158783 ft
Spain

fans24a5866f Posted at 2-9 18:51
Yes, the tilt control dial on the Mavic Air is counterintuitive. Please add a SW switch to reverse it.

Dear DJI, it would be great to hear from you regarding this topic, the option to reverse the tilt dial would be very appreciated. Thanks
2019-3-5
Use props
lalegator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3459731 ft
  • >>>
Serbia

I also find this to be contra of my intuition also, (and i was sure there must be option in controller, but...) i make mistake all the time when in flight. it would be nice to include reverse option, a mark to DJI to include it please. it is common for such things. especially since this is a filming machine, so every operator must be conformable to operate. It would make my filming much easier.
2019-3-25
Use props
Alec Blancarte Baca
lvl.1

United States

Any news on this option? It is really annoying and cannot seem to quickly do it right.

I wish you could just be able to customize it .... doesn’t matter what’s best for some but it should be a simple addition
2019-3-30
Use props
lalegator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3459731 ft
  • >>>
Serbia

i did this and it helps me a lot
2019-3-31
Use props
aeropic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72707 ft
France

Quite sure no software fix would come fast, I went the HW way...
After having opened the RC, I found the gimbal control is done via a simple 2,2k pot... Crossing the wires at the level of the connector's pins is so simple...
On the mavic mini, the wires to swap are yellow and red. (extremities of the pot while the black is the middle point of the pot)
The 3 pics attached here show in this order:
- before mod
- after having extracted the wires
- after mod.
I'm happy again with this little marvel ;-)
2020-1-9
Use props
TAN CHUN YAN
lvl.1
Malaysia

Agree this need to be fixed in d software to reverse the direction. Many footage spoilt bcoz of this
2020-1-11
Use props
stepc0re
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52497 ft

Germany

aeropic Posted at 1-9 12:32
After having opened the RC, I found the gimbal control is done via a simple 2,2k pot... Crossing the wires at the level of the connector's pins is so simple...
On the mavic mini, the wires to swap are yellow and red. (extremities of the pot while the black is the middle point of the pot)

Hello,
spark pilot here. I also always push the wrong direction at the gimbal control and it ruins every video.
Thanks for the idea. I will try it!
Greetings
2020-1-12
Use props
yzguyfl
New

United States

aeropic Posted at 1-9 12:32

This hardware modification to flip/change the direction of the gimbal wheel works on the Mavic Air also, but the wire colors look to be different.  The positions are the same, just different color wires.   I did this on my Mavic Air, as I moved the gimbal in the wrong direction 100% of the time so far (I did just get it, and it is my first DJI product)

Stock Wiring:

After flipping the wires in the connector:

After plugging in the connector with the wires flipped:
2020-1-20
Use props
fans00b2dfb2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22438 ft
Austria

Hi guys, nearly half of my shots are ruined because of the gimbal control. It would be super useful to have a software invert option. Nearly all video games offer y-axis invertation  - there is a reason for that ;)

Or was this feature already added and I can’t find it? (Mavic 2 pro)
2020-2-19
Use props
shadow131072
lvl.2

United States

Holy crap does DJI seriously suck so bad at listening to their customers?? I'm awaiting my new Mavic Air 2 arriving in a couple of days, here's hoping for a miracle. I actually came to this thread in search of a customization feature where I can assign the altitude up/down to the gimbal scroll wheel, and the gimbal up/down to the right joystick (just out of game controller preference, camera angles are generally controlled via right joystick). But looking at the thread so far, if DJI hasn't even implemented a simple software inversion in 3+ years, then I better kill any hopes of gimbal reassignment!
2020-5-28
Use props
VisualFeast
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131309 ft
United States

shadow131072 Posted at 5-28 13:13
Holy crap does DJI seriously suck so bad at listening to their customers?? I'm awaiting my new Mavic Air 2 arriving in a couple of days, here's hoping for a miracle. I actually came to this thread in search of a customization feature where I can assign the altitude up/down to the gimbal scroll wheel, and the gimbal up/down to the right joystick (just out of game controller preference, camera angles are generally controlled via right joystick). But looking at the thread so far, if DJI hasn't even implemented a simple software inversion in 3+ years, then I better kill any hopes of gimbal reassignment!

I would really like the option to reverse this as well. New to DJI but not new to flying and it seems backwards.
2020-6-14
Use props
fansca71040a
New
Norway

DJI, please add a reverse gimbal option! I too am messing up my shots with the current direction. I thought I was messing it up because it was inverse on my phantom vs the mavic but if it has been the same on all models  it must come from flight simulators etc...
2020-7-12
Use props
aichkaye
lvl.2
Flight distance : 315912 ft
Australia

+1 for either a software switch or hardware toggle
2020-8-27
Use props
Rintok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4780 ft
United States

Super excited (am I?) about switching the gimbal wires around, glad you guys took the time to figure this out.  My Mavic 2 Pro just went out of warranty so time to do the swap.  Making excuses for the gimbal dipping in videos is getting old.  If the gimbal tilt control wasn't horizontal on the controller I could make the internal "brain" switch between Playstation controls vs flying a plane, but horizontal?  No chance.  The sticker with arrows method was the best idea before the wire swap.
2020-10-2
Use props
GrahamAudio
lvl.1

Netherlands

I believe the reason this is such an issue is because in all actual flight, sims, games and just about anything to do with flying.. you always "PULL BACK" to go "UP"
With the gimbal being controlled with our left index finger, we PULL left and and PUSH right. So naturally, I always want to look up when I pull left on the wheel and push forward to look down. I have printed a label and placed it on my control but flight after flight, I screw it up. And if DJI ever does add the "invert tilt" feature.. I would have nothing left to complain about as this thing is "almost" perfect! DJI... are you listening?
2020-12-19
Use props
djiuser_K0HK3HZBjfAH
lvl.1
Italy

+1 Having experience with RC flying and flight simulators, it confuses the hell out of me.

Also I'm not really willing to learn the DJI method as i'm afraid it could mess with my natural instinct of pulling to go up.
Please DJI, don't make me open the controller and void my warranty.
2021-1-8
Use props
djiuser_4pDIoel4cIM7
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-21 03:12
I will help to pass the suggestion to designated team for review.
Thank you for your feedback.

Hi Mindy,  Id like to add my name to the list of people who believe forward on the gimbal wheel is easier for down. I've ruined many shots by going up momentarily before going down with the Mavic Air 2. I'm glad I am not alone. Since the control sticks can be programmed, there really is no reason why the gimbal wheel direction cannot be. It's 2021. This issue was raised some time ago now. Can we get a date for when we can expect this please? It's crucial. Many thanks.
2021-1-13
Use props
THEAXX
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Here I am googling in 2021 this gimbal switch feeling counter-intuitive and land on this forum thread which was started back in 2017. Absolutely love my new DJI Mini 2, but the wheel so far still keeps feeling counter-intuitive and I have to think hard before I use it to make sure I make it go the way I want. Guess if it's been so long without an update for the switch I'll just have to make my brain get used to it being the other way around...
EDIT: Anyone who posted about this in 2017/2018 - did you eventually get used to the gimbal dial being the way it is?
2021-1-14
Use props
Tim Gn
lvl.2
United States

Keeping this thread alive since it would be a simple software fix.  I also am requesting this capability.

It is a pretty simple case of human factors.  if you aren't aware of what the study of human factors entails, it is basically the study of how man interacts with their environment.  This is a big deal in the aviation industry since pilots manipulate various controls and switches and during times of stress tend to revert to natural tendencies and raw primary learning.

For example something as simple as shutting off fuel to an engine......you reposition a control BACK... in the logic that you want to reverse, stop, shutoff.

Another example regarding push/pull and up/down... gravity has worked our minds since we were born.   Simple example place an object on a table, push it off it goes down (push=down), now reach down and pick it up off the floor, you are Pulling it UP off the floor.  These types of actions are hard wired into our brain and if you design items that go against these basic principles they are harder to interface with for most people.
2021-1-28
Use props
Cients
First Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Change the gimbal settigns.
2021-1-28
Use props
Borisaurus
lvl.1
United States

This is definitely a much needed option, I hope its added soon.
2021-1-29
Use props
dji-prz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81903 ft
Poland

Another +1 to add this simple option to DJI fly
2021-2-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now