Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JBSonic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello lovely people,
my Inspire 2 has the well known rattling noise on the front left motor, red prop.

How would I remidy this? I believe there are v2 props out now, I can confirm that mine are not v2.
Would DJI kindly send me a set of 4 to fix that problem on the new inspire 2,  it has flown twice so far (once without camera, second with camera). I did not notice any anomalies otherwise, the drone performed well showed no sign of vibration or odd flight behaviour.

Thanks a bunch
2017-3-20
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Contact support, they will ask you to send them yours *first* in return they will send new ones. Your bird will be down during that time... there is a thread on here with things you can do yourself to address this issue.
GL
2017-3-20
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks, I have contacted support, waiting to hear back from them.
2017-3-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

If you've tried the replacement props and they have this issue, then you would want to contact Support in order to get some replacement props.
2017-3-20
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Jamie, thanks, I can confirm that the replacement props do not have that issue.
I noticed that the white props all have a 2 on them, none of the red ones (even the replacement ones) have that.
Are they not of the same revision or is it meaningless. Like they seem to look identical but one rattles, the other does not.

anyway, thank you.
2017-3-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

JBSonic Posted at 2017-3-21 10:21
Hi Jamie, thanks, I can confirm that the replacement props do not have that issue.
I noticed that the white props all have a 2 on them, none of the red ones (even the replacement ones) have that.
Are they not of the same revision or is it meaningless. Like they seem to look identical but one rattles, the other does not.

Most customers with the V2 red props have noticed the '2' on the red props as well, but not all of them did and had only the inner foam piece to show they were the V2 ones. If one works but not the other, you might want to try replacing the prop locks to see if it persists. Worse case, Support can help you out with replacements.
2017-3-21
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-21 15:08
Most customers with the V2 red props have noticed the '2' on the red props as well, but not all of them did and had only the inner foam piece to show they were the V2 ones. If one works but not the other, you might want to try replacing the prop locks to see if it persists. Worse case, Support can help you out with replacements.

A 100% fix is to replace the prop locks but dont use the "red" use a white one it will fit and fix your problem, once fitted use a small amount of nail varnish to change its colour.
2017-3-21
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you for the tip Jon, I would imagine that DJI is going to want to permanently fix it and will release new mount versions. I will just purchase a set of new mounts when  this has been fixed rather than going for the white ones for now.
2017-3-22
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So support got back to me, asking me to send the entire drone to them... For this ??
I would suggest everyone to just ask for repair parts before you end up with a fixed up inspire 2.
2017-3-22
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-21 15:08

I received replacement props with the foam and they chatter worse than the original ones.  I tried replacing the mounts...with some success...but I have just about had it with these props.  Are there v2 mounts in production now?  Perhaps I could give those a whirl.....(see what i did there...props-whirl).  Thanks in advance for your help Jamie - your are really very helpful in solving issues.
2017-3-27
Use props
fansba3b7009
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314908 ft
  • >>>
Austria

there is allready version 2 mounts out there as well
no need to change any props with silly foam
2017-3-27
Use props
hfrancis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26247 ft
United Kingdom

I agree that it is the prop mounts that seem to be the major factor in rattling, not the props themselves.

My original Inspire 2 was perfect, no issue at all.

When I got a replacement one (which looked new) one of the red motors has the rattling problem.  If I put the same prop on the other red motor then it doesn't rattle. So it's not the prop. Same goes for all four of my original red props (two sets). Fine* on one red motor, severe rattle on the other.

And by rattle, I mean if you put the prop on, and spin it by hand, it feels and sounds like the motor is full of stones. When it first arrived in the office I put the props on to show everyone and I was convinced that one of the motors had a bearing failure. The other three motors spin fine with a nice kneeeewww noise.

I have got a third set of props which was purchased later which has the foam inserts. These make the problem less obvious but it is still there. I think the foam inserts are a hacky solution, and only papers over the underlying problem with the mounts.

I'm worried that it's affecting the stability.  My original Inspire 2 was rock steady.  If you weren't moving the stick the videos looked like stills, even if it was a bit windy. This new one drifts sideways, and when it goes downward fast it shakes - kind of like a spinning top precessing.

I'll try calibrating it (I've not done that before - as I didn't have to with the first one). And if that doesn't work I'll try the replace-the-mounts-with-a-white-one trick.

*when I say the props are fine on the other red motor, they're not as tight as the white ones, there is still some wobble on the blades, but they don't make a hideous rattling noise when turned.
2017-3-27
Use props
Vince126
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218760 ft
Canada

So does the V2 prop locks stop the play in the red props, it still has a lot of play even with the V2 Props.  the inspire only came with 1 spare white prop locks, so changing one out made the drone vibrate TERRIBLY on hover.  I definitely need to get a hold of the new V2 prop locks if they exist.  DJI Jamie can you confirm this?

Thanks.
2017-3-27
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would also like to know if the new Lock Mounts are out and available and solve this issue. I am  about to send off my props to receive the "new versions" which clearly is not a solution either but actually just a waste of time.
Could we please know when these mounts are available, I dont even mind purchasing them as long as I get them soon, despite this really should be a free upgrade considering it can, based on multiple reports, cause vibration in flight which in  some rare circumstances has led to crashes!

Please reassure us DJI that these new mounts are coming out soon (if not already) and that we can purchase them and replace the current mounts.

Thank you very much
2017-3-28
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Interesting, just got a brand new replacement I2 today and both REDs rattle
2017-3-28
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It  seems to  be quite common, one can only hope that they have a V2 mount soon... Can you get in touch with their support and ask them for Mount replacements and report back here? I am sure a lot of people would like this information as this is a common issue
2017-3-28
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its all been said before; the problem is NOT with the props, its with the outer retaining clips. The Red ones are loose and the White ones fit - though some of the White ones are a little too tight!
The solution is to remove the loose Red outer retaining clips (two screws) and replace with White ones (remember to tighten the screws evenly and use a drop of thread-lock). Scrape off the White marks and replace with Red marks. Red nail-polish does the job! You will then find that ALL your props fit - regardless of foam inserts etc..

Kind regards
Allan
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

thomasakira Posted at 2017-3-27 10:50
I received replacement props with the foam and they chatter worse than the original ones.  I tried replacing the mounts...with some success...but I have just about had it with these props.  Are there v2 mounts in production now?  Perhaps I could give those a whirl.....(see what i did there...props-whirl).  Thanks in advance for your help Jamie - your are really very helpful in solving issues.

There should be mounts available, as mentioned in post #12. When you received the replacement props, you only got those and not mounts as well, correct?
2017-3-28
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alright, this is mildly confusing.
Could anybody tell me if I can just order a set of  Mounts and propellers from the DJI website and these should be new versions to fix this issue correct?
Or should I wait? I don't want to order these parts (and pay for them) just to receive ones with the same problem...

Please advice, thank you a lot
Edit: Is the problem the props? So I dont have to get new mounts? I am happy to purchase a set of props this week if confirmed
2017-3-29
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-28 15:29
There should be mounts available, as mentioned in post #12. When you received the replacement props, you only got those and not mounts as well, correct?

I only received props.  I have heard that you can take the white prop mounts and replace the red ones that are loose and just paint the arrows red...is this true?
2017-3-29
Use props
Vince126
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218760 ft
Canada

thomasakira Posted at 2017-3-29 04:19
I only received props.  I have heard that you can take the white prop mounts and replace the red ones that are loose and just paint the arrows red...is this true?

would like to confirm this as well.  I was just in touch with DJI support and they are sending me new prop mounts, but he dodged the question if there was a version 2 or not.

I guess i'll jsut find out if theres play in the blade when I install it.
2017-3-29
Use props
Shayd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was really happy when I got mine at the beginning of March and didn't have this problem, now 5 flight in and both REDs rattle like hell. Very disappointed now because I can not fly until this is fixed, I did receive however some mounting plate things with the unit, What are those for?
2017-3-29
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

The I2 has been around for several months and I still cannot believe the prop matter is still out there.  DJI needs to address this pronto and just send out the props and/or mounts ASAP and not deal with "Mail in the old ones" and wait maybe for the same old ones to come back.

The InspirePilots forum has some talking about a Version 3 prop out there too.  Some opting to go to C.F. props and other mounts.
2017-3-29
Use props
fans3687ab44
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5943291 ft
Finland

DJI could easily sort this out and send everyone new sets, but no, they want us to send cheap piece of plastic back before they send new ones, resulting us to be unable to use our 4k-7k toys while waiting for replacements.  Lots of people with 3rd part CF-props now, many have got same old props (mold 1) with just added foam inserts after weeks of wait.
2017-3-29
Use props
fansba3b7009
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314908 ft
  • >>>
Austria

the whole thing kust proves the i2 is sold as a toy
to officially respond that a ratteling prop is no safety issue  is a bad joke
2017-3-29
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You got a point, I have been talking to DJI support for about 1 1/2 weeks now on and off. They are fully aware of the issue but offer no information or solution rather than "send us your old props and then we will send you a set of new ones".
However, they do not go into detail what sort of props they are sending over, they completely ignored any request of information regarding the mounts themselves. I don't even know what sort of props they will send me, I assume the V2 ones with the foam insert but I have not been told this.
As far as I understand it they will send them off when receiving my props, this should take about week to arrive and then prob another week or 2 for the replacements to arrive.

No guarantee the new props are fixed, no guarantee the mounts are not faulty and need to be replaced.

What I dont understand is since they KNOW about the issue, it is WIDELY understood, still they want the old props back, as if they are going to use them? Maybe they just put foam inserts into those and send them back?
2017-3-30
Use props
fanse9ca1f9e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3031736 ft
United States

I received my new props on Monday, props only. The red ones fit fine, the white ones need to be forced onto the existing mounting plates and need to be removed with a tool while prying them up. Is this the best we can expect? The props seem to be the lifeblood of these machines and yet we have such poor quality??
2017-3-30
Use props
fanscb3ab0cd
New
Flight distance : 612162 ft
United States

Same issue here
2017-3-31
Use props
fanscb3ab0cd
New
Flight distance : 612162 ft
United States

allanart Posted at 2017-3-28 10:26
Its all been said before; the problem is NOT with the props, its with the outer retaining clips. The Red ones are loose and the White ones fit - though some of the White ones are a little too tight!
The solution is to remove the loose Red outer retaining clips (two screws) and replace with White ones (remember to tighten the screws evenly and use a drop of thread-lock). Scrape off the White marks and replace with Red marks. Red nail-polish does the job! You will then find that ALL your props fit - regardless of foam inserts etc..

Thank you,  I really do appreciate your help .
2017-3-31
Use props
hfrancis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26247 ft
United States

I fitted a new red prop mount last night, and this fixed the problem for me - no more rattling when I spin the props.

This has fixed it for both old props and new props :- while the new foam filled props did make the situation better, I felt these were just mitigating loose mounts, and feel more comfortable fixing the root cause.

If I had fitted (on the red engines) the white clamp instead of the red one (still using the red centre part of the mount) that would have made it even tighter, but the new red ones seemed almost tight enough, certainly miles tighter than the old red one.

I also recalibrated the IMU - before there seemed to be some noise on accelerometer 0 (compared to accelerometer 1), but after the calibration that had gone away. I'm hoping that has fixed my minor stability problems. I did quickly test fly it afterwards, and I imagined it was better, but it was very windy so was not really possible to say.

Note that when recalibrating the IMU, I had a problem when it asked to tip the drone forwards onto the table by 45 degrees, that I couldn't because the camera was in the way. I had the 42mm with a lens hood, so either that combination was too long, or the camera should have been tilted upwards a little more before I started the calibration. I am not sure which as I changed both the lens (to the 15mm) and the camera orientation, before restarting the IMU calibration.

2017-3-31
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The new foam props only mask the underlying propeller rattling issue.It can cause strong vibrations mid flight.

There does not seem to be a proper fix for it yet.
2017-5-1
Use props
Jerryjin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 583146 ft
United States

Shayd Posted at 2017-3-29 15:52
I was really happy when I got mine at the beginning of March and didn't have this problem, now 5 flight in and both REDs rattle like hell. Very disappointed now because I can not fly until this is fixed, I did receive however some mounting plate things with the unit, What are those for?

Hey,Shayd
Just adjust your reds rattle mount metal plates
2017-5-1
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shayd Posted at 2017-3-29 15:52

Yep, and its only going to get worse.
The more you fly, the more vibration seems to be caused.
Eventually the vibration becomes to powerful that the inspire 2 simply disintegrates mid-air (hoovering).
The props and mounts are fundamentally flawed and there does not seem to be a proper solution.

Some say to replace the red mounts with white ones, but then the same people complain about the white mounts becoming so tight that they have to force it open. So it isn't a solution either.

For now, the best thing you can do is wait another 3-6 months, don't fly the I2 and see what happens
2017-5-2
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

My propel mounts seems to be slightly bent causing propel don't sit tightly on surface. Cap in between propel and base plate is 0.05 - 0.1 mm depending on propel. This causes propel has some free play (like rocking movement) which possibly gets worse over time. If propel mount base plate is not originally designed to be bent (to act as spring for tightening propel) it is manufacturing error of too hot mold opening or something else.

Other issue is that center conical part is loose to counter cavity on propel which results free play on rotational direction.
All propel mounts has more or less cap and have these free plays. Free play can be so small that it can be seen on good light only.

There is a solution to shim free play out but it is questionable to do such "enhancements" to RTF aircraft. Foam insert in propel does not help anyhow with these caps my propels has and in fact it makes issue even worse by pushing center conical part apart to each other. Temporary and questionable solution is to shim center conical part and propel mount base plate cap out. Propel base plate shimming however easily detaches once propel is unattached.

In fact I'm not fully convinced propel free plays are fully responsible alone of rattling sound. In theory free play and propel flexibility can find resonation frequency which can in worst scenario cause aircraft disintegration. I tried to find resonation sound when flew in between two houses. There was quite nasty sounding moments.
2017-5-2
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes you hit the nail on the head Kopteristi, don't try to get any official help on the matter though. This issue is largely being ignored and the official responds is: It's not a problem, but buy more propellers and more mounts anyhow.

Every I2 is affected by this, quite hilarious.
2017-5-2
Use props
Shayd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jerryjin Posted at 2017-5-1 09:16
Hey,Shayd
Just adjust your reds rattle mount metal plates

Can you expand on that? Sorry I come from Phantom 3 and The Inspire is a big upgrade.
2017-5-3
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

I got my replacement props a while ago.  Over a short time of use the foam inserts "shrunk" and the red props were loose again.  Clearly DJI is just putting short term "plasters" on this issue.  I have now coated the bottom contact part of the mentioned props with three thin layers of "super glue".  It gets hard within a few minutes (I used a hair dryer).  The solution seems to work for now as it takes up all "slack" with zero prop rattle at all and a nice tight fit when locked.

So far this is my 2nd I2 (replacement) - I had a irreparable undercarriage issue, rattling props and now a right hand battery clip not "snapping" in.....   
2017-5-5
Use props
Jerryjin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 583146 ft
United States

Shayd Posted at 2017-5-3 19:55
Can you expand on that? Sorry I come from Phantom 3 and The Inspire is a big upgrade.

Hey Shayd and to these who also had the same problem.

2017-5-8
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

I also got a couple of replacement sets with the foam inserts and would warn anyone from using these as like I 2 Fly mentions; they shrink over time. I was on a shoot at the weekend and when I checked the props in the morning they were fine, an hour or so later they were really loose. Lucky I had another set..

If they are loose when checked on the ground with a hand I dread to think how they are behaving in sports mode!

Best fix I've found is the super glue. Did it today and they are rock solid
2017-5-9
Use props
AmateurTom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2333 ft
United States

Over a week ago I started a new tread here with regard to the prop / mount issue.  I had asked for a full explanation in this open forum as to WHY they ( DJI are down playing this prop issue and not openly making the announcement that there IS a problem and full replacement /revised mounts are offered.   DJI Jamie.......(i believe) replied suggesting that I contact customer service.  THAT, was the only reply from DJI to my "put them on the spot " attempt for a fair and reasonable reply.   The result was as I expected...   The intent ....to save face.   

I recently purchased the X5S body and a few pieces of Olympus glass.   It was then that is said F**k customer service about the prop issue.  I bought a set of T-Motor CF props and new mounts.    I'll be damn if my aircraft is going back to California for another month of repair from a prop related crash !   

It is truly a shame that this is not openly recognized and a statement made to owners via email ..........at the very least.

Enough said!
2017-5-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules