Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI told me to change my phone to something a lot more expensive...
12Next >
2810 47 2017-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bvQlltGg1Yw3
lvl.3
New Zealand

This is what I wrote in reply...

Hi Alice,

You're saying that I should buy a more expensive phone that the newer app supports, despite the fact that the superseded app works fine on my current device?

DJI didn't specify that I needed one of these more expensive devices when I purchased the drone.

From what I can see, the app on the phone is almost a 'dumb terminal' All the smarts are kept in the controller and the drone.
All the app does is provide access to additional interface options and displays the cam feed. There are productivity apps that do more work then the DJI app.

Your are saying that a game company can support most of the Android ecosystem but a company the size of DJI can't?

2017-3-21
Use props
Petroboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

So are you buying the more expensive phone or not?
2017-3-21
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

I completely agree, why would much cheaper help operate your $1000 drone?
2017-3-21
Use props
mmee
lvl.4
United States

This industry is rapidly changing and as the technology gets more advanced it will require more advanced equipment to go with it phones included.
2017-3-21
Use props
bvQlltGg1Yw3
lvl.3
New Zealand

mmee Posted at 2017-3-21 13:27
This industry is rapidly changing and as the technology gets more advanced it will require more advanced equipment to go with it phones included.

All of the flight logic is processed on the drone
USB standards don't change that much and all DJI is doing is pumping some data down the USB pipe which was working perfectly fine before later versions of DJI Go4. DJI Go4 was fine before the last couple of updates.
The drone functions perfectly with out the phone attached. As I mentioned earlier, all the phone provides is an interface to the controller.
Can you tell me what 'advanced functions' are required by the phone in this setup?
2017-3-21
Use props
bvQlltGg1Yw3
lvl.3
New Zealand

Petroboy Posted at 2017-3-21 13:01
So are you buying the more expensive phone or not?

Just to run the Mavic? hell no.
DJI Go works fine, so as far as I can see, it's DJI being stingy with the app dev budget.
And as there was no warning on the packaging or manual that I needed a compatible device I feel it's DJI problem.
This is an issue that has occurred months after the Mavic was released.
2017-3-21
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Flight distance : 727641 ft
Germany

bvQlltGg1Yw3 Posted at 2017-3-21 13:52
DJI Go works fine, so as far as I can see, it's DJI being stingy with the app dev budget.
And as there was no warning on the packaging or manual that I needed a compatible device I feel it's DJI problem.

What phone are you using?
2017-3-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

bvQlltGg1Yw3 Posted at 2017-3-21 13:47
USB standards don't change that much and all DJI is doing is pumping some data down the USB pipe which was working perfectly fine before later versions of DJI Go4. DJI Go4 was fine before the last couple of updates.
The drone functions perfectly with out the phone attached. As I mentioned earlier, all the phone provides is an interface to the controller.

Simply being an interface is taxing enough when some phones can't even decode video properly. I have no idea how much computational power is offloaded to the phone for use in Intelligent Flight Modes, if any, but I know you can't use that functionality with the RC alone. Certainly the editor features are going to be taxing on older devices.

I had to upgrade from my iPhone 5, which served me me just fine up until I wanted to buy the Mavic.
2017-3-21
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

seems like they dont want to develop on old technology especially with androids there are so many company's and new phones that are released so often. seems viable to me.
2017-3-21
Use props
Petroboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

I don't know.  I bought a new IPad Mini 4 just for the drone.  Why shouldn't you drain your bank account like the rest of us for this silly hobby?  
2017-3-21
Use props
Rick-Becco
First Officer
Flight distance : 48146 ft
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2017-3-21 14:53
I don't know.  I bought a new IPad Mini 4 just for the drone.  Why shouldn't you drain your bank account like the rest of us for this silly hobby?

I bought a new IPad Mini 4 just for the drone.
I bought the same iPad (internet only) new for $279.00 on sell at Fred Meyers works great & fits the remote just like a phone
2017-3-21
Use props
mmee
lvl.4
United States

bvQlltGg1Yw3 Posted at 2017-3-21 13:47

You cannot access tap fly for example and all of the other intelligent flight modes without a phone. Hardware decoding is phone dependent not just USB. You want to be on the edge of a rapidly evolving technology you should be willing to rapidly evolve with it. I wouldn't waste my time on phones that aren't optimal either because that isn't going to provide my user with the best experience. That being said DJI needs to work on their after sales support quite a bit. Im currently waiting on repair for lens blur
2017-3-21
Use props
bvQlltGg1Yw3
lvl.3
New Zealand

Schata Posted at 2017-3-21 13:58
What phone are you using?

Moto G 3rd gen which was released in 2015.
What I'm arguing is that both DJI Go and DJI Go4 worked fine until the last couple of updates.
DJI Go still works, and that includes all the flight modes. The only flight mode so far not included is the 'cinematic'. I changed over to DJI Go 4 just to access this feature.

The phone handles all the funtion without difficulty.
DJI did something recently which broke the app.

2017-3-21
Use props
bvQlltGg1Yw3
lvl.3
New Zealand

mmee Posted at 2017-3-21 15:43
You cannot access tap fly for example and all of the other intelligent flight modes without a phone. Hardware decoding is phone dependent not just USB. You want to be on the edge of a rapidly evolving technology you should be willing to rapidly evolve with it. I wouldn't waste my time on phones that aren't optimal either because that isn't going to provide my user with the best experience. That being said DJI needs to work on their after sales support quite a bit. Im currently waiting on repair for lens blur

Everything worked fine on my phone until the last couple of updates.
While you access these flight modes on the phone screen, I think you'll find that most of the processing is done on the drone.
The only flight mode that needs the screen interface is the 'tap to fly'.

Everything else could be accessed just using the buttons on the controller if designed to use the controllers buttons and screen.
2017-3-21
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

The more you say, the more you tell people that you don't know anything.
I used a cheap phone with MediaTek chipset, I guess P10. But I decided to buy another one with Qualcomm SD820 chipset when I bought Mavic.
If you think a phone is just an output device (terminal/monitor), think again.
2017-3-21
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.4
United States

bvQlltGg1Yw3 Posted at 2017-3-21 16:06
Moto G 3rd gen which was released in 2015.
What I'm arguing is that both DJI Go and DJI Go4 worked fine until the last couple of updates.
DJI Go still works, and that includes all the flight modes. The only flight mode so far not included is the 'cinematic'. I changed over to DJI Go 4 just to access this feature.

OS: Android OS, v5.1.1 (Lollipop), upgradable to v6.0 (Marshmallow)
Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8916 Snapdragon 410
CPU: Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53
GPU: Adreno 306

Above are your phone's specs.
You can use it to fly, but if anything happens to your Mavic, then you might not be covered.

2017-3-21
Use props
Nikon 1
Second Officer
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2017-3-21 14:53

As did I.  Great having all the extra screen space versus the iPhone 7+ I started with.
2017-3-21
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

mmee Posted at 2017-3-21 13:27

Ha Samsung Galaxy Edge 7 is the most expensive phone on the market and DJI doesnt work with it.
2017-3-21
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Phone is a DUMB TERMINAL ????????????????? WTF????????????
You do realize you purchased a "CAMERA DRONE"   
For how and what you posted , I think your looking for one of them Micro Drones
that fly indoors and up to 10 feet in front of you
I'm sorry to say you have no Idea of the Mavic's capability
Todays New Teck is Tomorrows Old Teck   
2017-3-21
Use props
mmee
lvl.4
United States

Sangarone Posted at 2017-3-21 16:31
Ha Samsung Galaxy Edge 7 is the most expensive phone on the market and DJI doesnt work with it.

Its not a recommended device but plenty of users use the S7 Edge with no issues whatsoever.
2017-3-21
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

mmee Posted at 2017-3-21 17:14
Its not a recommended device but plenty of users use the S7 Edge with no issues whatsoever.

No they are not, anyone with an s7 edge cant use the dji go 4 app because it crashes constantly...

My reply was to your comment about advanced technology... S7edge is arguably the most advanced technology available in a phone sooo.....?
2017-3-21
Use props
mmee
lvl.4
United States

Sangarone Posted at 2017-3-21 18:15
No they are not, anyone with an s7 edge cant use the dji go 4 app because it crashes constantly...

My reply was to your comment about advanced technology... S7edge is arguably the most advanced technology available in a phone sooo.....?

How do you explain all of the people in this thread THREADwho are using S7 Edge with no problems then. That goes against your issue so they're probably lying I'm guessing. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.
2017-3-21
Use props
mmee
lvl.4
United States

Sangarone Posted at 2017-3-21 18:15

Is your DJI Go 4 app saved to an SD card inserted into the phone or is the app saved to the internal hard drive of your phone?
2017-3-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

mmee Posted at 2017-3-21 19:24
How do you explain all of the people in this thread THREADwho are using S7 Edge with no problems then. That goes against your issue so they're probably lying I'm guessing. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.

Is this the problem where S7 Edge users who have upgraded to Android 7 are having problems, whereas those on 6 are still good? Or am I confusing that with another Android device.
2017-3-21
Use props
mmee
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-21 19:34
Is this the problem where S7 Edge users who have upgraded to Android 7 are having problems, whereas those on 6 are still good? Or am I confusing that with another Android device.

Im not sure exactly of which problem he/she is concerned about. I just know I've seen people on here who have had no issues with S7 Edge
2017-3-21
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

All before the Nougat update
2017-3-21
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

mmee Posted at 2017-3-21 19:39
Im not sure exactly of which problem he/she is concerned about. I just know I've seen people on here who have had no issues with S7 Edge

That thread curiously appeared at the same time this one started getting replies... Maybe it does magically work for a minority, Im just going off what ive seen for the last 3 weeks here and on mavicpilots (as well as with what ive experienced)... DJI exclaiming that s7 is not a supported device is a bs excuse. They blame Samsung as if every single other app on my s7 doesnt work seamlessly. DJI has a major issue admitting any issues on their end, ie right/left side camera blur, and this is just another issue that they have shown zero accountability on.
2017-3-21
Use props
b0n3
First Officer
Flight distance : 21083 ft
United Kingdom

Each Samsung Galaxy S7 with the latest Android Nougat does't work properly with the DJI Go4 app and they don't care about it, for them it's easier to say "Just use recommended device".
2017-3-21
Use props
Samoth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

It seems it isn't Samsung's fault: I have a Oneplus 3T and it also crashes under android 7.

I think their app have a serious issue with android 7, they should correct that because more and more phones will get the update
2017-3-21
Use props
TroutboyNZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

b0n3 Posted at 2017-3-21 22:32
Each Samsung Galaxy S7 with the latest Android Nougat does't work properly with the DJI Go4 app and they don't care about it, for them it's easier to say "Just use recommended device".

Eh? My S7 works flawlessly with the Mavic - no issues what-so-ever! Flight mode, no social media crap, close background apps... aint rocket science.
2017-3-21
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

TroutboyNZ Posted at 2017-3-21 22:55
Eh? My S7 works flawlessly with the Mavic - no issues what-so-ever! Flight mode, no social media crap, close background apps... aint rocket science.

Background apps are all closed, guess youre in the 1% on this one.

You say no social media crap as if a phone is supposed to be void of all other apps like the device's only purpose is to fly a drone.
2017-3-21
Use props
mmee
lvl.4
United States

Are you on Nougat?
2017-3-21
Use props
b0n3
First Officer
Flight distance : 21083 ft
United Kingdom

Glad for you, but I am using my S7 on 200% percent, as a camera with the osmo mobile, for the work, video and photo editing and so on..... And it should not be a special Device only for DJI Mavic. And also it's a stupid that on my phone I have to have two different apps, one for the Mavic and the other for the Osmo ... maybe this is the reason of all bugs ...To be honestl, I am a bit shocked, why DJI still didn't adapt app for the one of the best smartphone on the market.
2017-3-21
Use props
TroutboyNZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
New Zealand

Yes, sure am.
2017-3-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

bvQlltGg1Yw3 Posted at 2017-3-21 16:19
Everything worked fine on my phone until the last couple of updates.
While you access these flight modes on the phone screen, I think you'll find that most of the processing is done on the drone.
The only flight mode that needs the screen interface is the 'tap to fly'.

Could you please clarify what mobile device you are using?
And please describe the issue in details for better assistance.
2017-3-22
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.4
United States

Samoth Posted at 2017-3-21 22:45
It seems it isn't Samsung's fault: I have a Oneplus 3T and it also crashes under android 7.

I think their app have a serious issue with android 7, they should correct that because more and more phones will get the update

I don't think GO 4 has problem with Android 7 in general. My Xperia XZ and Z4 tablet are running Android 7 and GO 4 app is working without an issue.
The problem is Android is customized based on regions, brand so there would be chance the GO app won't work.
Unlike iPhone, there is only one "package". That's why GO app works perfect
2017-3-22
Use props
chalde
First Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been actually trying to figure out what could cause the issue with Nougat/S7 edge and DJI Go 4.

Are you plugged in the phone with the side USB controller output, or bottom USB?

Do you have a SD card in your phone? Are you in Developer's mode?

If you never get a crash with your S7 Edge and nougat, the 99% other users I'm sure would love to know your full config.
2017-3-22
Use props
TroutboyNZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hi, no, I'm using the stock cable to the phone in the standard position via the sliding plug receptacle, debugging selected, always fly in flight mode. Yes there is a 64gb Sandisk extreme in the phone. I'm based in New Zealand and fly mostly rural away from interference, but still plenty of flights round the house in the city with no issues. My phone is an S7, not an S7 Edge. Reading here, there does seem to be far more issues with the edge over the standard S7. USB debugging is on.

My phone is not rooted, Developer mode is ON. I have turned OFF all windows animations and generally never use WiFi, always on data. Can't think of anything else special to be honest, but I do keep any app notifications to a minimum or off completely. No device scanning, NFC off. Location is on high accuracy,

My S7 was actually imported into New Zealand, and looks like its a United Abra Emirates build. As mentioned, it has not glitched even once, hope this helps somewhat.
2017-3-22
Use props
bvQlltGg1Yw3
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-22 00:44
Could you please clarify what mobile device you are using?
And please describe the issue in details for better assistance.

Hi Mindy,
Got one of the first Mavics, installed DJI Go as that was what appeared when I searched the app store.
Worked brilliantly for months.

Then I read about the firmware upgrade with the 'cinematic' flight mode. I couldn't find it anywhere in the app I was using.
Contacted DJI and they told me about DJI Go4. I had no idea it existed.
De-installed DJI Go, and Installed DJI Go4. Brilliant. No problems. flew fine for a while.

After the last couple of app updates (not firmware updates) I've started to get 'drone disconnected' messages. This is despite the drone being a few meters away and in line of sight.
Screen goes grey and there is a message asking if I want the drone to return (yes/no) I hit 'no' as during this downtime the controller sticks and buttons function with out problem.

Eventually colour and feed are restored. Then after a few minutes the process repeats.
If I am trying to perform a flight mode such as 'point of interest' and the 'disconnect' happens while the function resets and I have to go through the setup procedure again. Problem is this 'disconnect' error will again interrupt the flight mode setup.

Went onto the DJI support site and noticed a FAQ.
It advised to shut down USB charging, drop into developer mode and set a USB function, Etc.
I follow these instructions and I'm still having issues.

I'm really suspicious that it's something to do with the video cashing as it feels like a buffer overflow prob. Discover that there is no way to shut down video cashing in the app. I set the size to minimum.

Decide to go back to the beginning when everything worked so since I can't get an earlier copy of DJI Go4, I find the DJI Go app and re-install it.
Everything now works again.

This is why I'm pretty sure it's not the phone, or the drone. It's something that has happened during the app dev.

I'm using a Motorola G 3rd gen.
2017-3-22
Use props
chalde
First Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

TroutboyNZ Posted at 2017-3-22 12:21
Hi, no, I'm using the stock cable to the phone in the standard position via the sliding plug receptacle, debugging selected, always fly in flight mode. Yes there is a 64gb Sandisk extreme in the phone. I'm based in New Zealand and fly mostly rural away from interference, but still plenty of flights round the house in the city with no issues. My phone is an S7, not an S7 Edge. Reading here, there does seem to be far more issues with the edge over the standard S7. USB debugging is on.

My phone is not rooted, Developer mode is ON. I have turned OFF all windows animations and generally never use WiFi, always on data. Can't think of anything else special to be honest, but I do keep any app notifications to a minimum or off completely. No device scanning, NFC off. Location is on high accuracy,

I have access to both a S7 nougat and MM - I'll have to try with those.
Mine is an Edge, and I can confirm that the App crashes very often.
2017-3-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules