Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Which is the best ND Filter kit?
3904 22 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mk1one
lvl.3
Flight distance : 612205 ft
Germany

Hello I am looking to buy an ND Filter kit, I would like to know which ones are good and which are not so good. There are so many to choose from.
2017-3-24
Use props
bomberuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322347 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
2017-3-24
Use props
bomberuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

TACO RC ND FILTER KIT
2017-3-24
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I also vote for the Tacos for these reasons:

• Very light but not overly fragile.
  • They come in single- and multi-coated, offer a wide range (UV - ND64), and in various different-sized sets.
  • Not excessively tight / difficult to apply and remove.
  • Affordable.

Unfortunately, Taco doesn't currently offer any polarized filters for the Mavic, though they've been saying for a while now that they soon will. If that's important to you then you'll probably want to look at the Polar Pros.

2017-3-24
Use props
Gagaryn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6447 ft
United Kingdom

I bought the PGYTech set. Gimbal calibrates without issues. I just bought 4, 8, 16  and 32 ND - didn't bother with UV or CPL as I don't see the point in either. My set was cheap - just over £30 and seem really good quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322414 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
2017-3-24
Use props
fansc2962bbc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Like Gagaryn I bought the PGYTech set . Good value for the money. Very pleased.
2017-3-24
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

I was originally going to get the polar pros but they are almost impossible to get off once one so I went with the taco rcs
2017-3-24
Use props
Canes76
First Officer
Flight distance : 818199 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-24 03:40
I also vote for the Tacos for these reasons:

^^^What he said! Taco-RC!!!!!
2017-3-24
Use props
BengalBoy
First Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Filters designed for the Mavic.  Why use anything else?
2017-3-24
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Flight distance : 727641 ft
Germany

Never go for the PolarPro filters.

They are pain to take off. It feels like killing the gimbal when taking them off.
They are aware of this problem. Seems like dji uses different camera sizes, so not all filters fit. They send me another set for free but it is exactly the same pain.

2017-3-24
Use props
Masdog
lvl.3
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-3-24 09:10
DJI Filters designed for the Mavic.  Why use anything else?

The ones from DJI are very thin and crack very easily after 1-2 uses. From what all the reviews are saying.
2017-3-24
Use props
Mad Mikee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1406991 ft
United Kingdom

Canes76 Posted at 2017-3-24 08:39
^^^What he said! Taco-RC!!!!!

+1 works a treat
2017-3-24
Use props
Airobotix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Taco works for me.
2017-3-24
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I've been researching filters for awhile, and I think the feedback on this thread has been pretty accurate.  Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions.

The PGYTech are inexpensive, functional, come with a nice protective case but take some time to receive since they are shipped from China.
The Taco are highly popular, a bit more expensive, come with a nice protective case, but no polarization (yet).  The Taco are only lighter than the PolarPro polarized filters.  Comparing ND to ND between the Taco and PP are roughly the same weight (which is still very nominal).  I'm guessing the PP PL/ND filters have extra glass to achieve ND + PL and adding a little more weight.
The Polar Pro also come with a protective case, although a different style case than the PGYTech and Taco, and are yet again just a little more expensive.  As mentioned, there have been some complaints that the PP may be difficult to remove due to (according to PP) a slightly larger camera body diameter.  There is a known user modification as a solution.  One point I've heard repeatedly about Polar Pro is a very high level of customer service.  This last point is relevant.

Regarding the necessity for polarizing filters.  It is true that they may not have much merit since filtering out polarized light requires adjusting to the light source.  But PL can also provide more saturation of color regardless of light source.  Some prefer to enhance color saturation through the lens instead of in post.  

I am waiting on an order from PolarPro, but think any ND solution would be a reasonable choice......
2017-3-24
Use props
BengalBoy
First Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

Masdog Posted at 2017-3-24 10:04
The ones from DJI are very thin and crack very easily after 1-2 uses. From what all the reviews are saying.

Well, I find mine to be very well made and are specifically designed to "snap" onto the Mavic lens.  Agreed, they are so very tiny and fragile in the sense that any piece of glass this thin has to be handled with care.  But, because the Mavic camera itself is tiny and fragile, I believe the snap design makes it less likely you can damage it when installing and removing the filter.
2017-3-24
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Here's pgy cpl untouched http://bit.ly/2n1hDig

Not too impressed with the nd filters at 50 and 60 shutter, have to run a bit higher or it maybe the pgy nd filters. It's the only set I have, so can't compare. The uv works to keep the same weight on the gimbal without messing with the light. The small metal case that pgy use is probably the best out.

20170324_222552_31.jpg

You can see though, this is the nd16 they sent. It has a defect in the lens, couldn't even use it.
2017-3-24
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

Schata Posted at 2017-3-24 09:27
Never go for the PolarPro filters.

They are pain to take off. It feels like killing the gimbal when taking them off.

We have been seeing about 2-3% of the Mavic cameras are coming off the line at 0.15mm larger than normal ones, we have developed a custom filter for these pilots. So if you purchased ours, please reach out we would be happy to replace them for you!
customerservice@polarprofilters.com

-Jeff from PolarPro
2017-3-25
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-3-24 07:57
I was originally going to get the polar pros but they are almost impossible to get off once one so I went with the taco rcs

We have been seeing about 2-3% of the Mavic cameras are coming off the line at 0.15mm larger than normal ones, we have developed a custom filter for these pilots. So if you purchased ours, please reach out we would be happy to replace them for you!
customerservice@polarprofilters.com

-Jeff from PolarPro
2017-3-25
Use props
edwarde21
lvl.3
Flight distance : 65535 ft
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2017-3-25 10:53

I bought the polarpro 3 pack on bestbuy but they wouldn't let the gimbal start up properly. And they are also hard to take off and I got my mavic maybe a month or so after launch
2017-3-25
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

PolarPro Posted at 2017-3-25 10:53

Hi Jeff,

I already got a replacement and am now again in touch with Scott, because the replacement is exactly the same. There is absolutely no difference compared to the first set.
But the filters work very well. THe optical quality is amazing. Just the mechanical site disqualifies. Maybe the replacement I got is the same as first ones by mistake. But now I have the ND16 filter sitting on the Mavic and cannot remove it. Tried it already for at least 20 min and gave up.

Alex
2017-3-26
Use props
MavicprOslo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254616 ft
Norway

I too had serious problems removing my PolarPro filters and Scott at PolarPro even offered me a set. However, I found a solution to the problem.

Surrounding the camera there is a split brass(?) ring. This ring was not properly placed. It protruded maybe 0.1-0.2 mm, just enough to make the filters stuck.
I managed to press this ring in place with some parallel jaw pliers and now the filters are a pleasure to install and remove.

_20170326_121558.JPG
DSC_1328.JPG
2017-3-26
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Schata Posted at 2017-3-26 00:29
Hi Jeff,

I already got a replacement and am now again in touch with Scott, because the replacement is exactly the same. There is absolutely no difference compared to the first set.

Shoot me an email personally,

I will take care of it:
Jeff.Overall@polarprofilters.com

The custom ones have not arrived to us just yet, so the one you received was not that,

Jeff from PolarPro
2017-3-26
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

PolarPro Posted at 2017-3-26 11:40
Shoot me an email personally,

I will take care of it:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks. Email is sent.