Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is DJI abandoning its loyal beta testers?
38108 585 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim Watkins
First Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Dear DJI,
Could we P4 beta testers get an update on the status quo?  Since downgrading from the beta firmware apparently isn't an option, don't you think it is unfair to abandon the beta testers who volunteered to help you test your firmware?  We have been stuck running beta software V2.0.0.12 for two and a half months now with no indication whether we will EVER be able to run official firmware again.  That ain't cool!  WE DESERVE BETTER THAN THIS!  I would really appreciate an answer.
--Jim
Burbank, CA

2017-3-24
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

While I feel for you, don't you think the beta software you are running now is better than the stock P4 firmware? I'll bet that a majority of P4 owners would love to have Tripod Mode, and other features that they don't have now.
2017-3-24
Use props
Jim Watkins
First Officer
United States

Maxxgold Posted at 2017-3-24 07:38
While I feel for you, don't you think the beta software you are running now is better than the stock P4 firmware? I'll bet that a majority of P4 owners would love to have Tripod Mode, and other features that they don't have now.

In that it has features not yet  released to the public, it's better, but as beta firmware, it has bugs that have not been resolved.  The main thing is that we have NOWHERE to go.  We can not downgrade.  We are just stuck with no other options at all until DJI releases something official that we can load.  There is no going back for us.  It is not cool to leave some of their most loyal customers in limbo.

--Jim
2017-3-24
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The fact that we have beta testers still using a none validated firmware is one of the reasons that I believe that DJI hasn't deserted us Phantom 4 owners and that we will indeed be getting new features.  Whatever the problems are that they've hit I'm sure that DJI is working hard to address them and get us a new firmware and features asap.

It sucks for those of you stuck on the beta firmware though.  Does it have any real show stopping bugs?
2017-3-24
Use props
Jim Watkins
First Officer
United States

Advocate Posted at 2017-3-24 11:31
The fact that we have beta testers still using a none validated firmware is one of the reasons that I believe that DJI hasn't deserted us Phantom 4 owners and that we will indeed be getting new features.  Whatever the problems are that they've hit I'm sure that DJI is working hard to address them and get us a new firmware and features asap.

It sucks for those of you stuck on the beta firmware though.  Does it have any real show stopping bugs?

I hope you're right.  All it would take is some sort of response from DJI letting us know how long we can expect to be left in limbo.  A simple response would help.

--Jim
2017-3-24
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

Jim Watkins Posted at 2017-3-24 12:20
I hope you're right.  All it would take is some sort of response from DJI letting us know how long we can expect to be left in limbo.  A simple response would help.

--Jim

I'm not sure why DJI even needs official beta testers.  It's apparent to me that they just push out upgrades and let the entire customer base beta test for them.  You get a much larger number of testers that way.  If some customers get stuck with unusable hardware, well that's not such a big issue... they can wait a couple months for the next "upgrade", right?
2017-3-25
Use props
paul-h
lvl.1
Flight distance : 400817 ft
United Kingdom

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-3-25 20:59
I'm not sure why DJI even needs official beta testers.  It's apparent to me that they just push out upgrades and let the entire customer base beta test for them.  You get a much larger number of testers that way.  If some customers get stuck with unusable hardware, well that's not such a big issue... they can wait a couple months for the next "upgrade", right?

I agree, the lack of communication with the beta testers is a poor reflection on how DJI run their business. I'm also looking for a way to remove the beta firmware.
2017-3-26
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

Agreed. Come on DJI. Sort this mess out. It's totally unfair to those beta testers. Even if it means we won't get those modes they deserve a stable firmware.
2017-3-26
Use props
Helimage
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144140 ft
Finland

I feel you. The value of my Phantom 4 is dropping day after day, and I can't sell it because of the beta firmware that I'm unable to downgrade. It has been almost two months since I contacted DJI about this issue, and the only thing they can say is: "We're sorry for your issue and we're looking at it." No communication, no promised credits for reward, nothing. It's a shame that a company that basically holds monopoly on a global level has these kind of problems.
2017-3-26
Use props
Nevillejp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

Jim Watkins Posted at 2017-3-24 08:15
In that it has features not yet  released to the public, it's better, but as beta firmware, it has bugs that have not been resolved.  The main thing is that we have NOWHERE to go.  We can not downgrade.  We are just stuck with no other options at all until DJI releases something official that we can load.  There is no going back for us.  It is not cool to leave some of their most loyal customers in limbo.

--Jim

And didn't they also say we were not to use it after the Evaluation Period?
2017-3-26
Use props
fans617b9cdc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135614 ft
Canada

Jim Watkins Posted at 2017-3-24 08:15

--Jim

Why can you not go back to a version that works?

I know older versions are blocked, but current version should be able to be downgraded to?
Have you tried using a computer to reset to factory settings of the firmware. Then delete the beta test off phone or tablet and manually install apk ?
2017-3-26
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Advocate Posted at 2017-3-24 11:31
... It sucks for those of you stuck on the beta firmware though.  Does it have any real show stopping bugs?

Show-stopping bugs?  A double-edged blade - clearly a common code base was used, which means that the P4 Beta inherited the 'good and the 'bad' of the previous P4P firmware.

I PM'ed a DJI support rep directly about this (seeking a timeframe as I'm still stuck on the Beta), but without a response after a couple of weeks. I love the DJI product, and I understand that the firmware is complex and requires a level of faith from the customer, but I do believe that the 'silent treatment' is not a professional way to treat the beta testers. We offered our craft with good intent to help DJI sort out some of their issues, and this respect is not being returned. Even a simple message to advise that e.g. 'Issues identified during testing are still being addressed, and our target for release is April-May'.
2017-3-26
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Its disgusting that you honest Beta Testers should be treated this way. Guess its just as well that the Aircraft isnt totally unsable. Imagine the problems then. Maybe DJI are awaiting a few things. Apple update to IOS 10.3, also the problems being sorted. But they should at least let you get the current stable firmware.
2017-3-26
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-3-26 16:38
Its disgusting that you honest Beta Testers should be treated this way. Guess its just as well that the Aircraft isnt totally unsable. Imagine the problems then. Maybe DJI are awaiting a few things. Apple update to IOS 10.3, also the problems being sorted. But they should at least let you get the current stable firmware.

I agree with you Stephen, but I feel I should clarify. It's the absolute refusal to communicate an update back to testers which I object to.

With respect to the beta firmware itself, I'd rather stay with it until the prod version for the P4 is released. It's definitely a step forward for DJI and P4 owners, if DJI can only just get it out the door...
2017-3-26
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Just to keep this on the agenda... I agree it is outrageous. All it takes is one sentence. "Please rest assured we are working hard to bring a firmware update out for the P4". Even if it's "We have decided that it is simply not viable to release this firmware and all of you beta testers are screwed" at least people would know where they stand.
2017-3-28
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Even if they kept the current firmware and bumped the version number up so you beta testers can install it. That's better than being stuck on incomplete firmware.
2017-3-28
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is the problem with the beta firmware?  Specifically, what do you mean "incomplete"?
2017-3-28
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

method007 Posted at 2017-3-28 05:08
What is the problem with the beta firmware?  Specifically, what do you mean "incomplete"?

Hi. I suspect that Stephen meant 'non-production' firmware.

And what's the problem with the Beta firmware? Well, some issues were indeed reported, but from what I saw many were in line with what others were reporting at that time with the then-current P4P firmware. This just demonstrated that the P4 and P4P use a common code base, which DJI are no doubt desparately trying to better align between models. I'd bet that some fixes for the Beta P4 firmware were released as part of the latest P4P release - although that's just conjecture.
But I really have no idea why DJI are holding off on releasing a consolidated P4 firmware now and can't even guess...
2017-3-28
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

My guess is that beta testers aren't grumbling enough on this thread C'mon folks - CONSUMER POWER
2017-3-29
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

I'm okay sticking with the beta firmware if an update means getting rid of the new modes.  This holdup doesn't really make sense.  The flight modes work... release the production firmware already.
2017-3-29
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Not that I'm advocating it, but is there 'technically' a way of distributing beta firmware outside of official channels?
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

When you connect to the Assistant 2 software, it will let you load the public firmware. Have you tried that method yet without success, or had you only attempted to update via the app?
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Helimage Posted at 2017-3-26 05:24
I feel you. The value of my Phantom 4 is dropping day after day, and I can't sell it because of the beta firmware that I'm unable to downgrade. It has been almost two months since I contacted DJI about this issue, and the only thing they can say is: "We're sorry for your issue and we're looking at it." No communication, no promised credits for reward, nothing. It's a shame that a company that basically holds monopoly on a global level has these kind of problems.

Can you answer post #22 as well?
2017-3-29
Use props
Nevillejp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 07:13
When you connect to the Assistant 2 software, it will let you load the public firmware. Have you tried that method yet without success, or had you only attempted to update via the app?

Assistant 2 software will not allow downgrade to public firmware
2017-3-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 07:13

Hey Jamie, to clarify Neville's response, when you now connect the P4 to Assistant 2 it only offers you to refresh 2.0.0.12. No other firmware levels are offered.
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Nevillejp Posted at 2017-3-29 13:54
Assistant 2 software will not allow downgrade to public firmware

Which Assistant 2 version are you running?
2017-3-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hey Jim,
Sorry that you feel, forgotten....

Hope you are in better spirits, very soon.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 14:35
Which Assistant 2 version are you running?

Latest - v1.1.0
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Just to further troubleshoot, try using the  v1.1.0-2 Assistant 2 software and see if the firmware options are still the same:

WIN
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... stant+2+1.1.0_2.exe

MAC
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... stant+2+1.1.0_2.pkg
2017-3-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 15:14
Just to further troubleshoot, try using the  v1.1.0-2 Assistant 2 software and see if the firmware options are still the same:

WIN

Thanks Jamie. Happy to when I get home (in 5-6 hours time). Can you advise the difference between that and the published one (which I assume is v1.1.0-0)?
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-29 16:13
Thanks Jamie. Happy to when I get home (in 5-6 hours time). Can you advise the difference between that and the published one (which I assume is v1.1.0-0)?

There shouldn't be much difference, other that it's the latest that's used with the P4P as well.

In general, you should have the ability to go from BETA to public firmware when you want to. If you're still unable to, then it has to be looked into further.
2017-3-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 16:20
There shouldn't be much difference, other that it's the latest that's used with the P4P as well.

In general, you should have the ability to go from BETA to public firmware when you want to. If you're still unable to, then it has to be looked into further.

OK - I'll advise what I see. Otherwise, DJI stated that you can't downgrade after applying the Beta. My bet is that Assistant 2 will not display any other firmware until there is a more recent release i.e. a higher incremental version than 2.0.0.12.
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-29 16:39
OK - I'll advise what I see. Otherwise, DJI stated that you can't downgrade after applying the Beta. My bet is that Assistant 2 will not display any other firmware until there is a more recent release i.e. a higher incremental version than 2.0.0.12.

Whenever you can would be appreciated.
2017-3-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 17:11
Whenever you can would be appreciated.

DJI-Jamie,
What does that mean? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-29
Use props
Helimage
lvl.4
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 07:15
Can you answer post #22 as well?

None of the methods work. We have tried to contact DJI, but when there's no answer, we're forced to throw a temper tantrum on the forums. Not fun.
2017-3-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 15:14

WIN

Jamie, I have downloaded and installed Assistant 2 v1.1.0-2 as suggested. I installed it with the PC booted to turn off digital driver signing recognition, as V1.1.0-0 incorporated an unsigned driver which would not load otherwise (you'd easily miss it, and the DOS CMD window just races past). I rebooted after installation to return the PC to normal state before running Assistant 2.

The first thing that happened when I started Assistant 2 v1.1.0-2 is that I receive a 'Missing signed driver - LibUSB-Win32 kernel driver' message. I ignored that and proceeded.
I can confirm that Assistant 2 now no longer gives me the option to refresh v2.0.0012 (even though it registers that I'm on that firmware level), and now only offers me to downgrade to v1.02.0602.

I did not proceed with this to test further, as I'd rather stay on the Beta so I don't have to keep upgrading/downgrading the battery firmware whenever I want to use it in my P4P.

So a bitter/sweet success it seems, for those who really want to downgrade. Thanks.
2017-3-29
Use props
Fruxen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

I have no idea what the firmware development team at DJI looks like, but the delay with the P4 firmware release might be because of other reasons than the P4 itself.
I work on a small software company and have some experience with code development. In a way our products could be considered "firmware". Our resources are limited in the way that we constatly have to prioritize what we do. Sometimes we have new releases tied to project or product hard deadlines. If we get a unforseen show stopper, for a number of reasons, we have to throw everything at it. All other stuff for other products/customers that has no deadline and can wait, will sadly have to wait, even if it's like relatively easy tasks. Sometimes the feedback to those other customers is lacking when it's not obvious exactly when it's needed and we don't really have a timeframe anyway. But sooner or later you have to say "You're probably expecting something by now, sorry for the delay, we're working on getting your assignment done as quickly as possible".

Like I said, I don't know anything about how things work at DJI, but there can be lots of other reasons for the firmware delay than that something is wrong with the P4 or that DJI staff doesn't care.
2017-3-29
Use props
Helimage
lvl.4
Finland

Fruxen Posted at 2017-3-29 22:50
I have no idea what the firmware development team at DJI looks like, but the delay with the P4 firmware release might be because of other reasons than the P4 itself.
I work on a small software company and have some experience with code development. In a way our products could be considered "firmware". Our resources are limited in the way that we constatly have to prioritize what we do. Sometimes we have new releases tied to project or product hard deadlines. If we get a unforseen show stopper, for a number of reasons, we have to throw everything at it. All other stuff for other products/customers that has no deadline and can wait, will sadly have to wait, even if it's like relatively easy tasks. Sometimes the feedback to those other customers is lacking when it's not obvious exactly when it's needed and we don't really have a timeframe anyway. But sooner or later you have to say "You're probably expecting something by now, sorry for the delay, we're working on getting your assignment done as quickly as possible".

That is not a reason to ignore the beta testers and their issues.
2017-3-30
Use props
Fruxen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

Helimage Posted at 2017-3-30 00:26

I'm not defending DJI, I don't know what they are doing, Just giving some possible alternatives to "ignoring" and "don't care".
2017-3-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Helimage Posted at 2017-3-30 00:26

But that's changing. If you're a Beta tester you would have just received the email. DJI are listening!

P4 prod firmware release early in April. I've suggested that they release fix details for it too, not just new features. They'll try to incorporate - let's see. This is great news.

Let's keep enjoying the ride, team.
2017-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules