Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is DJI abandoning its loyal beta testers?
38101 586 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

Well thats another week MAYBE the firmware will be released.
Looking very much like we are forgotten.
2017-4-22
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.1
Flight distance : 566014 ft
United States

Seems that way. Looks like the beta testers were only testing firmware for the p4a. This is so unacceptable from a company. But it's DJI so go figure.
2017-4-24
Use props
Dronald
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103576 ft
Germany

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-3-30 09:56
Yes we are listening and have never stopped.  Enjoy.

Come on whats the problem ?
What about a clear statement ? When we will get the Update ?
2017-4-24
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Yes those poor beta guys.
Well think I'm selling my setup and going for something else. This is so unacceptable. Early April supposed to be released to us. And now April is almost over. DJI sort your loyalties out. We spent good hard earned cash on these machines. And your abandoning us without even a hint of what's happening.
2017-4-24
Use props
manfredo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1891142 ft
  • >>>
United States

Forrest_Siems Posted at 2017-4-24 04:51
Seems that way. Looks like the beta testers were only testing firmware for the p4a. This is so unacceptable from a company. But it's DJI so go figure.

Wow, I seriously hope this isn't the case. If it is, it would be sketchy for DJI to have done this. I guess I'm still hoping they're ironing out some bugs or something....but the lack of communication is horrible. An update indicating no update is available as of yet and you are still working on it would be acceptable DJI....not saying anything is horrible treatment for your customers.

You make a great product but clearly are failing on all the follow up.
2017-4-24
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

It's ridiculous.
They are too bothered about the event and some stupid goggles
2017-4-24
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Flight distance : 523799 ft
United States

Well this can only go 2 ways the way I see it:

1-P4A has the same myriad2 silicone in it as the P4  (to keep BOM lower and margin higher) in which case there is no reason why we wouldn't see the firmware with the goodies upon the P4A release and removal of the P4 form DJI's product line (which is NOW!)

2-P4A has the same silicone than mavic and P4P (a kinda-sorta beefed up version of the same myriad2 VPU in the P4), in which case DJI won't bother porting/adapting new features to the P4.
2017-4-24
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Moderators - can you change this thread to the OFFICIAL "Yes, DJI IS abandoning it's loyal beta testers and P4 owners at large" sticky please?
(BTW, it's annoying that the ONLY comment from a mod on this entire thread is "Yes, we were listening". I get that they have little to no info on the bigger picture but to not even pop in a say "hi, we understand your frustration; we will strive to get a clear answer for you" is really frustrating...)
2017-4-24
Use props
beeper
Second Officer
Australia

Dnerve Posted at 2017-4-24 13:32

1-P4A has the same myriad2 silicone in it as the P4  (to keep BOM lower and margin higher) in which case there is no reason why we wouldn't see the firmware with the goodies upon the P4A release and removal of the P4 form DJI's product line (which is NOW!)

Hi Dnerve
The Beta Testers have tested the new features for the P4 so there is no reason why they won't be in the new firmware. DJI would be silly not to implement these features for the P4, it would be a real kick in the guts for all the Beta Testers.
2017-4-24
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
United States

beeper Posted at 2017-4-24 14:08
Hi Dnerve
The Beta Testers have tested the new features for the P4 so there is no reason why they won't be in the new firmware. DJI would be silly not to implement these features for the P4, it would be a real kick in the guts for all the Beta Testers.

I know, but this hold-up and delay doesn't feel right at all as product launches happen, it relegates the focus on the P4 way at the back if not in the dump...
2017-4-24
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

beeper Posted at 2017-4-24 14:08
Hi Dnerve

One reason for DJI to release these features on the P4A only would be to ensure that there is some more differentiation between the P4 and the P4A.  At the time the beta was released to the testers there were no P4As in the public arena so beta testing on the P4 may have been their only option. It would not surprise me if DJI subsequently released any new features on the P4A only, even if the P4 beta testers were able to use it. They could always claim that the standard P4 was not able  to pass the rigorous testing (even though the P4 may well be perfectly capable of running those features - it may all simply come down to marketing decisions)
I hope that hand gestures etc do find their way into any subsequent P4 firmware but it's not the end of the world if they don't. What is very frustrating, though, is that numerous posters have identified issues which appear to be associated with the release of firmware late last year and those owners have had no real indication when those issues might be addressed or, for that matter, even "if" they will be addressed.  Hopefully, DJI will come to the party and release some long awaited P4 firmware very soon.
2017-4-25
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Even if that where true about the P4 Advanced. That's a very high risk for a company to go through. For all intensive purposes the Beta they tested could have caused something catostrophic to happen to their craft. Or worse still caused a serious accident involving people or property.
2017-4-25
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Forrest_Siems Posted at 2017-4-24 04:51

I very much highly doubt that. The hardware inside the P4 is completely different from the hardware found in the P4A. The P4A and P4P share the same processors, while the P4 is first gen with a different setup - it's still good, but the P4A/P have newer a newer flight controller - etc.

They are just concentrating their efforts right now on their newer products.
2017-4-25
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

Dnerve Posted at 2017-4-24 13:32

Flight controllers are completely reworked in the P4P - the myriad is the same, but there are a few other elements which are different as well. The actual video processor even has some duties with obstacle avoidance in the P4P where as the P4 did not.
2017-4-25
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

I'm also thinking that now that it is not available in the store and all the new stuff is coming out we will start to see some movement on the firmware update.. Just a hunch..
2017-4-25
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Looks like that's it for us P4 owners. The standard P4 isn't listed on the dji store any longer. And the link in the buy now says not available in your region.
Time to sell I think unless this firmware materialises very soon.
2017-4-25
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-4-25 06:56
Looks like that's it for us P4 owners. The standard P4 isn't listed on the dji store any longer. And the link in the buy now says not available in your region.

Have a look at the feature support list for the new goggles, with reference to the P4 supporting Terrain follow and tripod mode, also head tracking flight & gimbal:-
Goggles function support list - Copy.png
2017-4-25
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Interesting. However the goggles are available and the modes are not. So what gives. Isn't that false advertising.
2017-4-25
Use props
Jim Watkins
First Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-4-25 06:56

But we can't sell the dammed things for a fair price without OFFICIAL FIRMWARE!  DJI screwed us!
2017-4-25
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2017-4-25 09:55
Have a look at the feature support list for the new goggles, with reference to the P4 supporting Terrain follow and tripod mode, also head tracking flight & gimbal:-

Ooooh nice catch!

C'mon DJI.....lol
2017-4-25
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

What would you call a fair price Jim??
2017-4-25
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.1
Flight distance : 566014 ft
United States

Cmon dji. At lease give us an answer. Are we getting the official firmware or not?!
2017-4-25
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

JUST SAY SOME WORDS DJI.... NOT HARD!!!! Your prospective P4A and P4P and Inspire 2 and P5 and P6 and Mavic 2 and Mavic 3 and Ronin 2 owners will all read this forum and see how badly you are treating your P4 owners during the course of this process... and they will think: "That will be me in 9 months time. F**k these guys."

You can't have an advanced P4 ORRR a professional P4 WITHOUT having a P4. What is the base model if one is "advanced" and one is "professional"?

We were the original P4 owners. Everyone is watching. Help us out.
2017-4-25
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-4-25 13:40
JUST SAY SOME WORDS DJI.... NOT HARD!!!! Your prospective P4A and P4P and Inspire 2 and P5 and P6 and Mavic 2 and Mavic 3 and Ronin 2 owners will all read this forum and see how badly you are treating your P4 owners during the course of this process... and they will think: "That will be me in 9 months time. F**k these guys."

You can't have an advanced P4 ORRR a professional P4 WITHOUT having a P4. What is the base model if one is "advanced" and one is "professional"?

I hear ya,

But nobody relevant is watching let alone listening. Never seen such a bad community management.

I do think it's coming, especially now that we've seen the specs for the goggles but yeah, I hope there will be DJI alternatives in the near future as the P4 was my first drone with them and will be my last with that level of support and communication.

Only time I felt similar was in 2006 when Apple released the supposedly almighty iMac G5 selling the PowerPC's cpu compute power supremacy over intel's to release the new Intel based iMacs 6 months later touting their superior power(after falsely advising it would need a year before any transition happens, to sell their useless stock of PowerPC machines a lil longer)... Needless to say I never bought a Mac again.

Too bad 3DR dropped the ball on consumer products a long time ago...

2017-4-25
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

They have to release the firmware very soon.
I for one would be very annoyed if I'd spent the money on the goggles to find the flight modes where not available. Unless they've been there all the time and only enabled with the goggles.
2017-4-25
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

There is no answer yet, but right now this post has one the highest views.....
2017-4-25
Use props
beeper
Second Officer
Australia

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-3-30 09:56
Yes we are listening and have never stopped.  Enjoy.

Hi Tahoe Ed
Is DJI still listening?
2017-4-26
Use props
Driller35
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1106 ft
Thailand

I hope someone is listening ,this is BS, even mailed beta and no reply from early last week, throw us beta testers a bone already
2017-4-26
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Yep they haven't answered me either. They are hopeless.
Anyone here with a P4 getting the goggles to have these amazing extra flight modes they give you. Reading the manual that's what I'd expect to get. I'm not on Beta so if I was to spend £400+ on these goggles I'd expect them to be there from the start.
2017-4-26
Use props
Dovivan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

is the P4 owner here wich dont have problems with HDMI modul on lastest FW? I dont need new features now, but this citical bug is 7 monts old. I cant use HDMI modul becouse live view on tablets/moiles are crap with this modul instalated.

like here, not my video, another unlucky user.
[/url]

2017-4-26
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
United States

Dovivan Posted at 2017-4-26 04:28
is the P4 owner here wich dont have problems with HDMI modul on lastest FW? I dont need new features now, but this citical bug is 7 monts old. I cant use HDMI modul becouse live view on tablets/moiles are crap with this modul instalated.

like here, not my video, another unlucky user.

Your post is out of topic and your video does not play back.

What does your question have to do with the topic at hand?? Would you mind editing/deleting or perhaps some mod could (but judging by their presence, I doubt it)
2017-4-26
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dnerve Posted at 2017-4-26 08:50

What does your question have to do with the topic at hand?? Would you mind editing/deleting or perhaps some mod could (but judging by their presence, I doubt it)

EXCELLENT PLAN! We just need someone to swear, be off topic and offensive and it will summon a moderator who will be forced to respond. Who is willing to step up and sacrifice themselves for the greater good (much like the P4 beta testers)
2017-4-26
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-4-26 09:47
EXCELLENT PLAN! We just need someone to swear, be off topic and offensive and it will summon a moderator who will be forced to respond. Who is willing to step up and sacrifice themselves for the greater good (much like the P4 beta testers)

LOL

There you go with some keywords that should trigger the alarm in the mod room:

Nazi, baby, drugs, racism, religion, Communism, Capitalism, Trump
2017-4-26
Use props
Dovivan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Dnerve Posted at 2017-4-26 08:50

sorry man if you see this like a off topic. i saw it as a similar problem. I post here becouse DJI sayd "add new features to old models is not our priority now" But this is a critical bug. DJI dnt fix it for 7 monts. My 110 euros  HDMI modul  is useless.
2017-4-27
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dnerve Posted at 2017-4-26 11:11
LOL

There you go with some keywords that should trigger the alarm in the mod room:

Haha. Literally fell off my seat laughing. If Nazi babies doesn't summon mods, the P4 owners are well and truly stuffed.
2017-4-27
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Okay, new strategy. Starting tomorrow, every new topic or reply regarding the P4, I'm going to reply and explain the current situation. Any help appreciated. I'm literally going to make this entire forum about P4 firmwaregate. It's on.
2017-4-27
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-4-27 14:48
Okay, new strategy. Starting tomorrow, every new topic or reply regarding the P4, I'm going to reply and explain the current situation. Any help appreciated. I'm literally going to make this entire forum about P4 firmwaregate. It's on.

Just remember that this is primarily a user forum, I for one don't need continual reminders about this. It will make no difference whatsoever to whether or not DJI release new firmware for the P4.
2017-4-27
Use props
microlinux
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-4-27 14:48

That sounds like a tactic my 9 year old nephew would use.

Goggles are coming, I would not be shocked if new firmware was released ahead or concurrent of that.
2017-4-27
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-4-27 15:04
Just remember that this is primarily a user forum, I for one don't need continual reminders about this. It will make no difference whatsoever to whether or not DJI release new firmware for the P4.

Agreed. That is a strategy which will only result in the poster being banned from the forum for trolling. It won't change DJI's customer culture.

With the latest release of firmware for the P4P, DJI have put the battery firmware out of sync again - even with the P4 Beta - so now I can't exchange batteries cleanly between my P4 and P4P once again. Arrgghh!
So I'm even more unhappy about DJI leaving the P4 even further behind, but I'll continue to try to maintain faith and be patient.
2017-4-27
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I was just frustrated. I don't have the time or the energy to troll a forum. At least it prompted a response on the other thread from Stephen. As you say, it doesn't make a difference to the firmware, but it does emphasise the fact that the mods are steering well clear of the topic. Just after some form of official statement
2017-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules