Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is DJI abandoning its loyal beta testers?
38107 585 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dnerve
lvl.4
Flight distance : 523799 ft
United States

lol, they should pin the thread at this stage....What a joke all of this is....
2017-5-7
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
United States

So as I was browsing the downloads page in the support section for the P4, seems there is a new edition for the P4 updated 27/03/2017.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ser+Manual+v1.4.pdf

Hadn't noticed it before and there is no mention of any intelligent flight modes as listed in the P4P and P4A manuals (Tripod, terrain follow, etc.).

I find it a bit surprising that DJI would release an updated product manual right before an upcoming firmware adding new functionalities... All of this doesn't look good at all...

2017-5-7
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

Well I've given up hoping for new firmware. Mines gone for repair anyway. Got sick and tired of constantly calibrating and adjusting gimbal tilt. And I also found a small stress crack under motor. So it's off for warranty repair. Doubt I'll see it anytime soon. By the time I get it back P5 will probably be released.
2017-5-7
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-5-7 09:37
Well I've given up hoping for new firmware. Mines gone for repair anyway. Got sick and tired of constantly calibrating and adjusting gimbal tilt. And I also found a small stress crack under motor. So it's off for warranty repair. Doubt I'll see it anytime soon. By the time I get it back P5 will probably be released.

Yeah, seen a lot of reports about cracked shells, another defect from gen 1 that carried over for previous series...

At least P4P and P4A have an upgraded frame, another win for early P4 adopters....

Judging by the level of support, I don't expect DJI to acknowledge any issues meaning that who does not have stress cracks before warranty runs out is out of luck. But even then it seems it's just bound to happen sooner or later...

I much regret purchasing this bird...Or brand should I say....
2017-5-7
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

I agree it's obviously a design floor somewhere for these cracks to appear. I just wipe mine with a cloth never use any cleaning agents. In response to the update in the manual. DJI haven't even been bothered to update the Part in downloads about the App. It's v4.0.8 now.
They are lacking in a lot of things not just their support. It's a company that seems to have grown to big too quickly and lacking the customer support they desperately need to improve on.
2017-5-7
Use props
Dronald
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103576 ft
Germany

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-5-7 12:12
I agree it's obviously a design floor somewhere for these cracks to appear. I just wipe mine with a cloth never use any cleaning agents. In response to the update in the manual. DJI haven't even been bothered to update the Part in downloads about the App. It's v4.0.8 now.
They are lacking in a lot of things not just their support. It's a company that seems to have grown to big too quickly and lacking the customer support they desperately need to improve on.

My sentiments exactly !
2017-5-7
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

I hope Apple buys them. At least then I can take my frustrations with the broken products and lack of support out on a genius.
2017-5-7
Use props
beeper
Second Officer
Australia

DJI update on phantom 4 Firmware, please.
2017-5-8
Use props
jesper n
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84501 ft
Sweden

I haven`t flown my P4 for 3 months..i cant because of the firmware..Can you fix this? Im grounded..
2017-5-8
Use props
Dronald
lvl.1
Germany

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-3-30 09:56
Yes we are listening and have never stopped.  Enjoy.

Really ? That´s about 6 weeks ago now !
2017-5-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jesper n Posted at 2017-5-8 04:12
I haven`t flown my P4 for 3 months..i cant because of the firmware..Can you fix this? Im grounded..

Have a look at post No' 36 that might allow roll back to latest public release:-

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=154551
2017-5-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

In the UK, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 suggests that goods be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described and remain so for a reasonable period of time. There is case law that extends this period for a full year. I'm not a beta tester, but if anyone bought their P4 less than a year ago, is a beta tester, and lives in the UK, I'd be happy to help them draft a claim. Maybe the possibility of legal action will elicit a response?

2017-5-8
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-8 08:11
In the UK, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 suggests that goods be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described and remain so for a reasonable period of time. There is case law that extends this period for a full year. I'm not a beta tester, but if anyone bought their P4 less than a year ago, is a beta tester, and lives in the UK, I'd be happy to help them draft a claim. Maybe the possibility of legal action will elicit a response?

By the time it reaches Chinese HQ and be dealt with, DJI will probably be long gone...It's such a niche market still and with so few users that I doubt anyone would seriously bother, even though this is what they deserve....
2017-5-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

They have a European office (http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news ... ands-524338321.html) so could file a claim using European Cross Border procedures https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_small_claims-42-en.do
2017-5-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Would probably cost more than a P4P to file a claim... but I've taken more extreme measures on ethical grounds before.
2017-5-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just as a tangent, if they don't release these features for the P4, my frustration is even more compounded by the fact that I recently bought a pair of Glyph FPV goggles. The week after I bought them, the head tracking functionality was disabled; presumably to force me to buy the DJI Goggles. However, if the new flight modes aren't enabled, then much of the functionality of the DJI goggles is worthless to me. It's a Catch 22. Forced away from all third party solutions and no reason to buy DJI goggles. The only way out is to upgrade.  It's like my ipad not supporting my bluetooth keyboard unless I buy an Apple keyboard, but if I buy the Apple keyboard, the spacebar doesn't work unless I buy a new ipad.  AND WORSE STILL - being told that the third party keyboard would work.

You don't have to support these features or third party hardware at all. That's your prerogative; BUT don't introduce functionality, let your customers go out and spend hundreds, and then revolk the capabilties for your own gain. So messed up. So very very messed up.
2017-5-8
Use props
beeper
Second Officer
Australia

Are you listening DJI? Where is the firmware update?
2017-5-8
Use props
beeper
Second Officer
Australia

The people have spoken some communication from DJI would go a long way.
2017-5-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Here DJI, I'll provide a template. Just copy and paste. This one is royalty free,

"Hi folks. It;s obvious that there are many frustrated P4 owners at the moment. Please know, we aren't ignoring you. The reality is that we have had a number of products in the pipeline and - as I'm sure you can appreciate - these have been a prioty for our internal teams. We have no intention of leaving our beta testers in a position where they have no choice but to fly with beta firmware. We will be in touch with all of our beta testers in the coming [insert timeframe here] with a solution. Our company policy is not to make public statements about upcoming functionality, and to be honest, the moderators on this forum know about as much as you do when it comes to the global roadmap for products and features, Having said that, we can appeciate that there is growing frustration on this matter and will strive to get some form of official statement from our HQ. In the meantime, if you are having any problems at all with flying your P4, please reach out to us and we will do everything we can to help."

See that? I instantly made everyone feel a bit better and said nothing at the same time. It's not hard. It's called customer care, Google it.
2017-5-8
Use props
Dronald
lvl.1
Germany

Customer service is the act of taking care of the customer's needs by providing and delivering professional, helpful, high quality service and assistance before, during, and after the customer's requirements are met.
Characteristics of Good Customer Service

Customer service is the act of taking care of the customer's needs by providing and delivering professional, helpful, high quality service and assistance before, during, and after the customer's requirements are met. Customer service is meeting the needs and desires of any customer. Some characteristics of good customer service include:

Promptness: Promises for delivery of products must be on time. Delays and cancellations of products should be avoided.
    Politeness: Politeness is almost a lost art. Saying 'hello,' 'good afternoon,' 'sir,' and 'thank you very much' are a part of good customer service. For any business, using good manners is appropriate whether the customer makes a purchase or not.
    Professionalism: All customers should be treated professionally, which means the use of competence or skill expected of the professional. Professionalism shows the customer they're cared for.
    Personalization: Using the customer's name is very effective in producing loyalty. Customers like the idea that whom they do business with knows them on a personal level.

2017-5-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jesper n Posted at 2017-5-8 04:12

Hi. Why are you grounded? The Beta still flies, and the DJI GO 4 app still works with it.
Or are you just too worried to continue to fly it with the Beta firmware?

Don't get me wrong - I'm very unhappy with DJI for not communicating about this, but the craft does still fly.
2017-5-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-5-8 07:23
Have a look at post No' 36 that might allow roll back to latest public release:-

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=89940&pid=750125&fromuid=154551

Yep, it definitely happened as I wrote then, but I've since updated Assistant 2 to the latest (v1.1.1 - available on the P4A page). I've retained v1.1.0-2 just in case I get desperate to downgrade, in which case I'll see if I can replicate it again.
Otherwise, the craft still flies with the beta. Only issue I've experienced is with the white balance profiles (they seem to be buggered), but it still goes up and comes down. Waiting, fingers crossed, for the next production P4 firmware.
2017-5-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United States

I love PunchBuggy's responses. Always so measured. You should be a hostage negotiator or something.
2017-5-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-8 16:00
I love PunchBuggy's responses. Always so measured. You should be a hostage negotiator or something.

hehe. Thanks SED. In all seriousness, it's important to try to see both sides, and try to push down the emotional thinking - although my ex-wife may disagree with that...

But we all agree that DJI are doing the wrong thing by us by keeping the door closed, and we all know that whatever we post here will not make diddly-squat difference as DJI have their own self-serving agenda. I would have proposed that they at least communicate their intents with the Beta testers, but we have collectively done a poor job of honouring the NDA so they would reasonably be cautious about that. However, it's been the lack of communication otherwise from DJI (apart from advice in March which was reneged on) which has encouraged us to be vocal about this.

I'm still anticipating that DJI will do the right thing soon, now that they've delivered the Mavic and P4A firmware release, and have a firmware-based horizon fix for the P4P camera (which will hopefully now be ported to the P4 firmware). But to your comment - in this case, I hope the hostage doesn't die...
2017-5-8
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

I believe this has grown way beyond the serious issue beta testers face.

This uncovers the lack of strategy after the release of a product through its life cycle, the lack of respect towards its entire P4 customer base (aware of this topic or not) not to mention DJI's inability to deliver on what they commit to.

The P4 seemed to be about to be perfected yet weaknesses with its shell appeared and seem to pop more and more often as time passes (4th gen of the phantom series, come on!), unresolved software issues  carried into new products they now try to firefight on multiple fronts as they keep on releasing new, unperfected stuff and features (with us hoping to see these fixes trickle back to the now defunct P4) give a much bigger picture on what DJI is all about: Box movers, with an 80-90s mentality to ship as many whatever they can with little concern over what happens next and 0 after sales support (so many horror stories over sloppy repairs, dodgy replacements and so on).

People buy their products as they top competition by far tech wise but with 0 service to support it, someone could step in at any time. Their tech isnt theirs (Movidius is owned by intel, and intel happily licenses stuff) and their knowledge isn't that tough to grab, after all it's what they are good at like the XiaoMis, OnePlus and other emerging chinese tech companies.

But loyalty works both ways: not only customers can become loyal to a brand, a brand needs to be loyal to its customers, or pretend to be and this can only be built on honesty, trust, and going the extra mile when sproviding support to your (honest) customers. And this DJI knows nothing about.

They might see themselves as the Apple of drones, and I am no fanboy, sure Apple is an arrogant ogre in the industry, but they do cover their customers in honey at least to keep them coming back...
2017-5-8
Use props
beeper
Second Officer
Australia

Well said Dnerve
Where is the Firmware DJI????
2017-5-9
Use props
jesper n
lvl.4
Sweden

Aardvark Posted at 2017-5-8 07:23

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=89940&pid=750125&fromuid=154551

Sorry to say that it dosent work,i cant downgrade,im stuck whith this ...
2017-5-9
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Dnerve Posted at 2017-5-7 09:28
So as I was browsing the downloads page in the support section for the P4, seems there is a new edition for the P4 updated 27/03/2017.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4/20170327/Phantom+4+User+Manual+v1.4.pdf

I noticed this too, but the only edit I found was that they removed instructions on how to check battery life..
2017-5-9
Use props
jesper n
lvl.4
Sweden

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-5-8 15:23
Hi. Why are you grounded? The Beta still flies, and the DJI GO 4 app still works with it.
Or are you just too worried to continue to fly it with the Beta firmware?

It dosent perform as it should,it goes all over the Place.I have no trust in it ,It allways perform stunning but not now,its a brick am sorry to say.
2017-5-9
Use props
Cian McLiam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 366496 ft
Ireland

Mavic Pro firmware with goggles support just released today, still no sign of P4 firmware. I think if it does not appear in the roll out for the goggles over the next couple of days then they have indeed abandoned all users of the P4.
2017-5-9
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

Cian McLiam Posted at 2017-5-9 07:44
Mavic Pro firmware with goggles support just released today, still no sign of P4 firmware. I think if it does not appear in the roll out for the goggles over the next couple of days then they have indeed abandoned all users of the P4.

Of course they released a Mavic firmware...
2017-5-9
Use props
beeper
Second Officer
Australia

DJI where is the firmware update for the  phantom 4???????
2017-5-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

jesper n Posted at 2017-5-9 03:43
Sorry to say that it dosent work,i cant downgrade,im stuck whith this ...

Did you:
Uninstall the previous Assistant 2;
Reboot with 'unsigned driver checking' disabled; and
Install Assistant 2 v1.1.0-2 (specifically)?

Just checking.
2017-5-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

jesper n Posted at 2017-5-9 03:56
It dosent perform as it should,it goes all over the Place.I have no trust in it ,It allways perform stunning but not now,its a brick am sorry to say.

Sorry to hear about that Jesper. But that's not my experience, and I haven't heard of that from other Beta testers.

Have you tried refreshing the firmware while the craft is cool (i.e. just powered on), and then done a fresh VPS calibration? Also, if it asks, an IMU and compass calibration?

Obvious, I know, but just checking.
2017-5-9
Use props
jesper n
lvl.4
Sweden

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-5-9 16:45
Did you:
Uninstall the previous Assistant 2;
Reboot with 'unsigned driver checking' disabled; and

Jupp,i have tryed it,no go.
2017-5-10
Use props
jesper n
lvl.4
Sweden

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-5-9 16:47
Sorry to hear about that Jesper. But that's not my experience, and I haven't heard of that from other Beta testers.

Have you tried refreshing the firmware while the craft is cool (i.e. just powered on), and then done a fresh VPS calibration? Also, if it asks, an IMU and compass calibration?

Yes i have refreshed the firmware ,thats the only option i have i .i cant downgrade or upgrade.Done vps calibration,compass,,,,,Everything works but its not stabil,its all over the Place.
2017-5-10
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

I bought a used P4 after owning 2 drones from other companies.  My only complaint is that I'm constantly battleing horizon not level issues. I'm hoping they come up with a firmware fix but I'm not holding my breath. For all the things I like about my P4 I can say that my Blade Chroma maintained the horizon much better; which is kind of a big deal on a photography drone.
2017-5-10
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Spyder3534 Posted at 2017-5-10 07:55
I bought a used P4 after owning 2 drones from other companies.  My only complaint is that I'm constantly battleing horizon not level issues. I'm hoping they come up with a firmware fix but I'm not holding my breath. For all the things I like about my P4 I can say that my Blade Chroma maintained the horizon much better; which is kind of a big deal on a photography drone.

There are reports that new firmware on the newer models is having a positive impact. Fingers still crossed for us P4 owners
2017-5-10
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Spyder3534 Posted at 2017-5-10 07:55

You can adjust the tilt of the camera in flight by holding C2 button operated, while operated turn the right hand wheel either direction. It tends to tilt slightly after a quick yaw, but in my case usually levels off again itself in a few seconds. Or at least when I've had a horizon to see it against.
2017-5-10
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

Well at this stage I'd say they have a serious problem with their update. There is no reason not to release it if there wasn't a blocker somewhere.

No commercial strategy can explain the silence on DJI's part or the lack of update.
2017-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules