Is DJI abandoning its loyal beta testers?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dnerve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523799 ft
Ireland

Well at this stage I'd say they have a serious problem with their update. There is no reason not to release it if there wasn't a blocker somewhere.

No commercial strategy can explain the silence on DJI's part or the lack of update.
2017-5-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dnerve Posted at 2017-5-10 16:26
Well at this stage I'd say they have a serious problem with their update. There is no reason not to release it if there wasn't a blocker somewhere.

No commercial strategy can explain the silence on DJI's part or the lack of update.

Dnerve, I'd propose that there's a difference between 'silence' and 'having a serious problem'. 'Silence' is a reflection of DJI's poor (existing) customer communication skills, and a lack of respect and appreciation for the role the beta testers have performed in testing the P4's earlier beta firmware iteration. This is DJI's only true fault, I suspect - the rest is just marketing strategy. Their priority is about growing the new market, and not sustaining their 'legacy' market.

'Having a serious problem' - perhaps, but I suspect that's not the case. My money is that they know they need to lick the horizon levelling issue, and their priority has been for the platform which they are trying to push as their Phantom flagship - the P4P. They have a firmware fix for the P4P now which appears to resolve that, so they should be able to replicate that into an updated P4 firmware next.

I'm hoping that we'll next see a release of the firmware for the P4P, closely followed by a P4 firmware update - both with the horizon fix for the gimbal controller.
2017-5-10
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-5-10 16:54
Dnerve, I'd propose that there's a difference between 'silence' and 'having a serious problem'. 'Silence' is a reflection of DJI's poor (existing) customer communication skills, and a lack of respect and appreciation for the role the beta testers have performed in testing the P4's earlier beta firmware iteration. This is DJI's only true fault, I suspect - the rest is just marketing strategy. Their priority is about growing the new market, and not sustaining their 'legacy' market.

'Having a serious problem' - perhaps, but I suspect that's not the case. My money is that they know they need to lick the horizon levelling issue, and their priority has been for the platform which they are trying to push as their Phantom flagship - the P4P. They have a firmware fix for the P4P now which appears to resolve that, so they should be able to replicate that into an updated P4 firmware next.

I surely hope you're right....
2017-5-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dnerve Posted at 2017-5-10 19:25
I surely hope you're right....

Haha - yeah, so do I.
[But I'm honestly tired of making up stories for DJI. They really need to step up to improve their communication of what they are doing, especially given this ground-swell of concern from P4 owners...]
2017-5-10
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Bump for the fun of it
2017-5-11
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Bump again to keep the fun going.
2017-5-11
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Another week, another big fat nothing. Here's hoping for Monday.
2017-5-12
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

P4 update where is it DJI????
2017-5-12
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

This got to be DJI's strategy:

2017-5-13
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dnerve Posted at 2017-5-13 04:01
This got to be DJI's strategy:

https://youtu.be/TJL4Y3aGPuA

Is that this years Eurovision song contest winner ?
2017-5-13
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-12 06:50
Another week, another big fat nothing. Here's hoping for Monday.

Don't hold your breath!
2017-5-13
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Falkland Islands

Mines gone for repair anyway so will be approx 20 days or more from where I have to ship from. So maybe I will receive an updated P4 (Wishing)
2017-5-13
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Are there any P4 owners that have pre ordered the DJI goggles? Because that is another screw up here. People are forking out hundreds of pounds for these things based on the fact that the documents suggest the P4 can make use of most the functionality. The day those things ship, if there is no firmware, there is a whole new level of pain for Goggle/P4 owners coming
2017-5-13
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

I want a new firmware.
2017-5-13
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Falkland Islands

After purchasing a new Mavic Pro and having a chance to actually try the new modes. Except for draw as it's not available on the Mavic. I have to say apart from the better landing functions, and the way the Mavic won't allow you to get too low to the ground while flying.
The extra modes are not really much of a deal breaker. You can achieve the same effects by changing some of the settings for the P4.
However I have an iPhone 7 Plus. And supposedly these cause an issue with disconnects of the GO App. Which is another problem DJI need to sort.
Be thankful that the P4 doesn't disconnect from the App.
2017-5-15
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

It is a very sorry state of affairs and is indicative of an organisation that has serious issues.
2017-5-15
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622841 ft
United States

Release new firmware please!!!!!!!!
2017-5-15
Use props
Dronald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103576 ft
Germany

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-5-15
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

what does mean "The post by the administrator or moderators shield"?
2017-5-15
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-5-15 22:21
what does mean "The post by the administrator or moderators shield"?

Haha. I have no idea. It's about as clear as the product lifecycle support policy for the Phantom 4
2017-5-16
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-16 06:50
Haha. I have no idea. It's about as clear as the product lifecycle support policy for the Phantom 4

lol

This thread.....DJI is miserable....
2017-5-16
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

DJI, why do you treat people who beta tested for you like used tissue paper?
2017-5-16
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

Dronald Posted at 2017-5-15 21:50
**** The posts are shielded ****

Testing quote, looks ike moderation doesn't work on mobile so re-posting...

Admins/Mods although not responsible of this debacle, should have some tact over a different presence than just silent moderation...at least have the decency to say something...

To all mods and DJI, get a grip on yourselves, you wont last long at the top by being so arrogant.
Edit: quote did not work so here's a screenie instead.... (I don't know what it means, and it's irrelevant to my point, if really offensive, please state the reason of the edit, also feel free to remove my attachment)
Screenshot_20170516-212118_01.png
2017-5-16
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

Meanwhile...They keep releasing crap everybody was asking for....

http://forum.dji.com/thread-96370-1-1.html

Really DJI nice way to manage dev and budgetting resources....
2017-5-16
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've been waiting so long for this firmware update that my Phantom 4 recently began to learn all by itself at a geometric rate. In fact, it became self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, May 17. In a panic, DJI tried to pull the plug... but didn't tell anyone because their communication sucks.

THAT'S IT!! I think human decisions have been removed from strategic support. The P4Ps are actually running DJI now. That explains the lack of communication!
2017-5-16
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Where is the Firmware update for the Phantom 4 DJI???????
2017-5-17
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
United States

Oh look!

We're working on more crap that prevent us from not only supporting you guys but also talking to you:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-96473-1-1.html

DJI Listens....Always....

2017-5-17
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-3-30 09:56
Yes we are listening and have never stopped.  Enjoy.

Uhuh....suuuuuuuuuuuure....Enjoying every minute of it!
2017-5-17
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
United States

Dnerve Posted at 2017-5-17 10:01
Uhuh....suuuuuuuuuuuure....Enjoying every minute of it!

-pathetic-
2017-5-17
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Can someone from DJI please tell us Phantom 4 owners what is going on with the firmware update? This has been going on for too long and the lack of communication on DJI's behalf is a joke. If we treated our customers like this where I work we would be out of business.
2017-5-18
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

beeper Posted at 2017-5-18 01:25
Can someone from DJI please tell us Phantom 4 owners what is going on with the firmware update? This has been going on for too long and the lack of communication on DJI's behalf is a joke. If we treated our customers like this where I work we would be out of business.

DJI are not renown for stating their intentions in advance and, even when they do, the release notes often omit important changes.  I recently had an issue with my P4 and sent a private message to one of the forum reps  who didn't respond at all. Fortunately, the local head office here in Australia  promptly replaced the unit for me but the international marketing team is nowhere near as helpful. I doubt that the reps  in these threads are even given update advice before it's released to us so it's likely to be very frustrating for them also.
I would not be surprised if DJI ultimately released new P4 firmware without some of the features that the beta testers have. I suspect it's even possible that they won't release new P4 firmware at all.
I'd like to see new features/firmware but I've reduced my expectations to zero so any update will be a nice surprise.
2017-5-18
Use props
Stach23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 721795 ft
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-5-18 01:57
DJI are not renown for stating their intentions in advance and, even when they do, the release notes often omit important changes.  I recently had an issue with my P4 and sent a private message to one of the forum reps  who didn't respond at all. Fortunately, the local head office here in Australia  promptly replaced the unit for me but the international marketing team is nowhere near as helpful. I doubt that the reps  in these threads are even given update advice before it's released to us so it's likely to be very frustrating for them also.
I would not be surprised if DJI ultimately released new P4 firmware without some of the features that the beta testers have. I suspect it's even possible that they won't release new P4 firmware at all.
I'd like to see new features/firmware but I've reduced my expectations to zero so any update will be a nice surprise.

I can absolutely tell you one thing that I won't be buying, unless DJI releases updated firmware for the P4 that fixes both the Horizon Tilt and offers the new features, a pair of DJI Goggles. No way will I continue to pump money into a company that offers such lousy support! Unless DJI rebuilds some trust, it's not worth buying a pair of DJI goggles that will be unsupported within 6 months.
2017-5-18
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
United States

Stach23 Posted at 2017-5-18 05:07
I can absolutely tell you one thing that I won't be buying, unless DJI releases updated firmware for the P4 that fixes both the Horizon Tilt and offers the new features, a pair of DJI Goggles. No way will I continue to pump money into a company that offers such lousy support! Unless DJI rebuilds some trust, it's not worth buying a pair of DJI goggles that will be unsupported within 6 months.

Regrettably, I have  to agree with you.  And what's so unfortunate is that I once was one of DJI's biggest fans and supporters.  Several people I work with in broadcast television production have purchased DJI products on my recommendation.  I don't know what they're thinking, but I'm done with DJI.

--Jim

Burbank, CA
2017-5-18
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think at this point DJI need to say something, even if it's just to let us know the these features WON'T be coming to the P4.  SOME communication would be better than this deafening silence.
2017-5-18
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It's been said several times, but this is more than moderators simply choosing to breeze over this thread. I'm fairly certain if they were allowed to, they would at least drop a note saying... something. But there has been one meaningless post out of 273 from a moderator. That MUST mean they've been told to keep their mouths shut.

Follow it to its only logical conclusion.... whatever the news is... it's not what we want to hear
2017-5-18
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Exactly, but don't DJI see that this deliberate silence is causing more harm to their reputation than if they simply came out and said "Phantom 4 owners will not be getting the features introduced on the P4 Pro and Advanced, thank you to our beta testers here is a way to roll back to the officially supported firmware" - and then give the beta testers a great discount on a P4 Pro (I'm not/wasn't a beta tester so have no dog in this fight) as a thank you for testing the new firmware.

Job done, not everyone will be happy but it's better than this!
2017-5-18
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

They don't even need to be that kind. They could say "Hey beta testers... haha - go **** yourselves". That would at least provide some closure on the matter.
2017-5-18
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

I personally believe DJI are building an empire to sell off. They are not testing products properly before releasing/selling them to consumers and they are not backing their products with a great service. This is a sign of a company moving forward quickly for a selloff. They don't seem to care about their customers. They have used the beta testers to test firmware for the phantom 4 advanced not the phantom 4. By doing this they have saved themselves money and time at the expense of the Beta testers shame on you DJI. Hopefully, whoever takes over may have some knowledge of customer service. It would be nice to see DJI step up and show that they truly care about their reputation and customers that have been loyal, time will tell. By the way, I am not nor have I ever been a beta tester I am just annoyed at the way they have been treated.
2017-5-19
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

As much as DJI annoy me, if they were bought out by public company... I'd still buy shares
2017-5-19
Use props
Frostywinter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3086522 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I picked up my DJI Goggles today from my pre order a few weeks ago, seems I got them a little sooner than anyone else??

Anyhow I am having activation issues with them on my Phantom 4 - they wont activate, I have been through it a few times now but no activation

I chatted online with DJI support who couldn't help and they told me to email DJI support?? I have emailed them - lets see what they come back with..

After reading this thread I am wondering if the P4 needs new firmware for the DJi Goggles to work... did I just waste my money???
2017-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules