Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Telemetry Fly###.dat logs files format
12384 20 2015-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

Hello everyone!
I have connected my I1 to a PC and downloaded the Flight Recorder logs.
From my understanding, these files (named Fly000.dat, Fly001.dat,...) contain the readings from all sensors during flight.
I do hope they contain also camera actions like taking a picture or starting / stopping a video recording.
I am mostly interesting in extracting the GPS coordinates and the camera orientation, but any other information might be of great value (battery status, gyroscope readings,...).
Does anyone know what is the format of these files?
A document describing their format would be best, but if that is not available, then any software that is capable to load them and export the information in another known format will be sufficient.
Thanks in advance for any useful information.
Best regards,
Bogdan
2015-2-26
Use props
hmerkel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2307995 ft
United States

You might able to answer a few of your questions by watching a playback of one of your flights.  When you do, you can see altitude, air speed, vert. speed, battery life, when a picture was taken to name a few.  I am not sure what all parameters are recorded, but by watching a recorded flight you can see there are numerous parameters recorded.
2015-2-26
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

hmerkel@gci.net Posted at 2015-2-27 01:46
You might able to answer a few of your questions by watching a playback of one of your flights.  Whe ...

Thanks for your input!
I did playback all my flights and I am very happy to know that the Flight Recorder saves so much useful information. I am happy to know that both I1 and camera orientation are saved. I just hope that the tilt is also saved as the playback application is only showing 2D orientation. I do hope that the recorder saves also the start and stop of a video recording, not only when pictures are taken. Many of us owners would really appreciate if DJI is going to offer a tool to load these Flight Recorder logs. This data is very important to those that want to use the captured imagery within 3D mapping / modelling solutions. There is a lot of research going on already in using videos instead of imagery and our Inspire 1 could prove very useful with its extremely stable, 4K capable camera.
Hope DJI is reading this and willing to help us out.
Best regards,
Bogdan
2015-2-27
Use props
tejones777
lvl.1

United States

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-2-28 15:49
Thanks for your input!
I did playback all my flights and I am very happy to know that the Flight R ...

Bogdan:

Did you make any progress decoding the FLY???.DAT log files?

I've also been trying to look into it, but not getting far.  Some people say there's little information there.  I don't know.

- Thomas.
2015-5-20
Use props
Muzzy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Guys.

This might help you, regarding general information.

What is a DAT file?
Free Converter

I haven't tried this myself yet, but I'm quite intrigued to see what they contain now that you have mentioned it. Maybe I'll get time this weekend.

Regards.
Muzzy.
2015-5-20
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

tejones777 Posted at 2015-5-20 20:20
Bogdan:

Thomas,
Unfortunately I haven't spent much time on this yet, hoping that DJI would be kind to provide soon with a way to extract our telemetry data from these files while still keeping their "secrets" safe.
From my understanding they write in these files a lot of information about their system which they prefer to protect from the public eyes. I have suggested to them to either split the logs into separate files based on what is secret and what can and SHOULD be made public, or offer a small utility or online service that can be used to extract the telemetry data ONLY from these files. Their reply was that the R&D department has been informed but made no promise of such development.
I really hope they understand the need and entitlement of having this data. Maybe more customers should be writing to them and requesting this. Sometimes quantity may appear more important than quality, thus more demand may mean faster action. I know many customers have purchased the I1 only for capturing "visual" data (pictures and videos), but they should also request for this because one day maybe they would need to overlay real-time telemetry over their "visual" data, or they may need to show to authorities this data after flight... BOTH visual and telemetry data belong to the person capturing them, not to the manufacturer of the device.
Regards,
Bogdan
2015-5-20
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

Muzzy Posted at 2015-5-21 05:28
Hi Guys.

This might help you, regarding general information.

Muzzy,
Thanks for the links you have provided but they are not related to the files we are talking about.
Files with this extension have been around almost since files were invented.
For example Windows has been using this extension too.
*.dat & *.bin usually contain binary data of any kind and format. Any application developer can decide to use this extension for saving any kind of binary data into files. Even video files have been using *.dat extension.
DJI could have saved these files with any other extension, for example *.log and yet would not make any difference in how they are saving the flight recorder logs in these files. They might save binary structures defined by a header portion for each type of structure saved. They might save fixed length records describing each type of data. They might even build XML formatted logs which are encrypted before saved in the files. Anything is possible and none of it documented.
One could try to "hack" the format though an overwhelming trial and error technique. One could also try to reverse-engineer their firmware to debug the log writing implementation. The real question about this is why should anyone do this when DJI could simply allow us access to OUR data?
Best regards,
Bogdan
2015-5-20
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

tejones777 Posted at 2015-5-20 20:20
Bogdan:

Hi Guys.  
We made a viewer for the .DAT files so we could test our Inspire 1 ground station app and have posted it for public use.

https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/log_viewer

We won't be giving out the details of the protocol, but it at least makes the .DAT files useful for basic stuff.

Enjoy!

2015-5-25
Use props
aknauer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 793041 ft
New Zealand

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-5-26 15:59
Hi Guys.  
We made a viewer for the .DAT files so we could test our Inspire 1 ground station app a ...

Hi,
I had a look at this, and thank you for providing the utility.
However, there is not much other than GPS, Alt and Velocity. Do you have access to any of the other data that I presume are there?
2015-5-26
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

We will likely be offering a CSV output of some of the other numbers at their native update rate soon.
2015-5-26
Use props
hans.ijpma
lvl.1
Flight distance : 339669 ft
Netherlands

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-5-27 00:05
We will likely be offering a CSV output of some of the other numbers at their native update rate soo ...

Is the CSV export function already available? I had a mid air low voltage glitch with my Phantom 3 which I would like to trace/analyse. Thanks!
2015-6-22
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

hans.ijpma@zigg Posted at 2015-6-22 18:27
Is the CSV export function already available? I had a mid air low voltage glitch with my Phantom 3 ...

Flight Log Converters/Players /Telemetry

feedback.gif
2015-6-22
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

hans.ijpma@zigg Posted at 2015-6-22 18:27
Is the CSV export function already available? I had a mid air low voltage glitch with my Phantom 3 ...

Hans,
We currently only have the CSV feedback available for iOSD mkII recorded A2 logs.  We will be adding it to the Inspire if we hear that it is OK from DJI.  They went through a bit of trouble to make them hard to read on purpose and since we are a dealer, we don't want to make them mad at us...

2015-6-22
Use props
boutropeur.msn
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

http://www.flylitchi.com/logs
You can convert dat files to csv using this converter
You can also convert DJI Pilot txt flight logs
2015-6-22
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

The FlyLitchi viewer is cool but doesn't deal with the same log files that the original poster is talking about.  We really like their online planner.  It is a good compliment to our own.  The Maps Made Easy .DAT converter is used for the DAT files that are recorded automatically with every flight inside the Inspire or P3 (or on the SD card in the iOSD mkII).  You have to plug directly into the USB port on the drone to get to the data.  The files are HUGE since there is so much data. The Pilot App log files are only created when you have the Pilot app open or information isn't recorded.
2015-6-22
Use props
djiuser_HA53II1xDPuL
lvl.1

Ukraine

I hope this online service help you
2018-11-2
Use props
djiuser_HA53II1xDPuL
lvl.1

Ukraine

I hope this online service help you  here
2018-11-2
Use props
Ronsmith
New

India

Free convert youtube videos from convert mp3
2021-2-25
Use props
brianders
New

Turkey

If you do not want to enter your credit card information while signing up for shopping sites for fear of fraud, you can try a credit card generator that will protect you from all kinds of fraud. You can safely use the information generated with this fake credit card generator.
2021-9-4
Use props
brianders
New

Turkey

If you do not want to enter your credit card information while signing up for shopping sites for fear of fraud, you can try a credit card generatorhttps://validcardgenerator.com/visa-card-generator that will protect you from all kinds of fraud. You can safely use the information generated with this fake credit card generator.
2021-9-4
Use props
djiuser_8ioLL8vciILI
lvl.1

United States

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-5-25 23:59
Hi Guys.  
We made a viewer for the .DAT files so we could test our Inspire 1 ground station app and have posted it for public use.

Just a question before i create an account will this give motor speed and possibly motor draw  on a mavic 3
2023-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules