Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy LIS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Folks,

Up until yesterday, I've been getting on really well with my Mavic.  I'm using it coupled with a Samsung S7 Edge (Android 7.0).  I'm on the latest firmware, latest DJI Go 4 app, and all was well.  However, yesterday, on 4 separate occasions (new battery each time), after about 10-15 minutes of operation, the DJI Go 4 app would start to become extremely sluggish.  The video feed would start to lag severely (10 seconds plus) and the response to tapping icons on the screen, similarly slow.  After 4-5 minutes of this, the app would hang, and not respond at all.

At all times, I was able to control the Mavic using the TX, and land safely.  The app would only start responding correctly after it was closed, and restarted.  I had no error messages, and I did try restarting my phone.  It was operating with the wifi and bluetooth turned off.

I'm assuming it something to do with my phone, as it performed faultlessly for around 10 to 15 minutes, before this problem occured.  The odd thing is, that it hasn't ever done it before (my last flight previous to this, was about a week ago, where i did a couple of longish flights.

Anyone seen anything similar?  I've heard reports of it just not working well at all with Samsung S7 edges, but not working great, then getting worse, before eventually hanging.

Cheers
Andy
2017-3-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Probably your Samsung S7 is not powerful enough to run the DJI GO app.
When you change the battery, you could try to restart your phone as well.
2017-3-27
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Is that a joke? Samsung's flagship is not powerful enough to run Go4? I don't want to be salty with you Mindy, as you're always nice with everybody here and I respect and appreciate your work, but the S7 is right now Samsung's most powerful phone... and it tops many others out there.

To the question itself, it seems (as dji ken said) that there's some secret issue that is Samsung's responsibility to fix (no disclosure at all of the issue and the consequences of it, which I find odd, I'd love to know what I might be facing)

To workaround the mysterious issue I suggest:  

-Use the top bottom port with your normal USB cable as some of the DJI's usb (side ones) are faulty. Make sure to remove the side cable or it won't work.

-Reboot your device before using your drone: To me the application is rocksolid when doing that, so I wonder if the DJI Go4's got some kind of weird memory leak.

-Make sure your device's got enough free memory, as every android phone lags when the internal memory is almost full.
2017-3-27
Use props
Majorb98
lvl.1
Flight distance : 192336 ft
United States

I had some issues on March 25, 2017 while flying.  It seemed like a communication and software problem.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5, and have been for almost two months without any problems.   On the 25th noticed that at times the DJI Go app would lag and wouldn't respond easily using tap-to-focus, etc.  I also noticed that my hot key used to also auto focus wouldn't work during the same time the app was lagging, and the photo / video buttons on the remote weren't responding  correctly.  

I was still able to fly using the controller, but at one point lost control of the gimbal and camera all together.  The camera began moving and refocusing almost like it was going through start up - but we weren't starting up, we were 200 ft up and recording.  I noticed that this video (gimbal moving, refocusing) saved to my Samsung but didn't save to Mavic's on board SD card.  

I brought it back down, powered it, the remote, and the app off - then powered everything back up.  I flew the remainder of the one battery plus a second (about 40 min total) with no other issues.  I noticed however the Mavic didn't make it's normal power up tones.  It made a random tone or two before the normal power up tones - each time I powered it on that day.  I haven't flown it since then because of the weather.

Personally seems like a bug with the last update both on-board the Mavic AND the App.
2017-3-27
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's odd.  Had three flights last night, all 18 minutes plus.  Not a single issue at all.  Same phone, same Mavic, same firmwares and App versions.  My normal start up procedure is to make sure all running programs on the phone are shut down, turn on the controller and start up DJI Go 4, make sure I've got a map loaded of where I'm flying, and then put the phone into flight mode to turn off the wifi and bluetooth.

I'll check the memory status, and if I see the massive lag again, I'll try a reboot of the phone to see if it helps.

Andy
2017-3-27
Use props
b0n3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21083 ft
United Kingdom

Dear Andy,

Absolutely the same behavior with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Dji Go 4 App.
DJI closed their eyes on this issue and blames the Samsung that they should have to fix something mysterious in their firmware....
Also a couple of my friends (they also have S7) have absolutely the same problems on Android Nougat.
2017-3-28
Use props
mildim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 981558 ft
Switzerland

Andy LIS Posted at 2017-3-27 23:48
It's odd.  Had three flights last night, all 18 minutes plus.  Not a single issue at all.  Same phone, same Mavic, same firmwares and App versions.  My normal start up procedure is to make sure all running programs on the phone are shut down, turn on the controller and start up DJI Go 4, make sure I've got a map loaded of where I'm flying, and then put the phone into flight mode to turn off the wifi and bluetooth.

I'll check the memory status, and if I see the massive lag again, I'll try a reboot of the phone to see if it helps.

Same here , same phone , same mavic.

The only difference is that i do not put the phone in flight mode, nor do i disable wifi and bluetooth.
2017-3-28
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Well - I've had some slight lags and issues on my Samsung S7 (not Edge) but a few things helped:

- switch the phone to flight mode - WiFi could interfere with the transmission and so can LTE frequencies,

- switch off power saving - this could be major in this because in power saving you are downclocking your CPU and this can influence this.

Since then - all good and stable. Worth the try I'd say ;-)
2017-3-28
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Will try the power saving thing.  I did wonder if that could be having some kind of effect.  Odd that it would on an app that is running in the foreground though...

Andy
2017-3-28
Use props
fans18d204c5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2949393 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm using a Nexus 6P with the latest version of Android and I'm having the exact same problem. Everything was good until I installed the latest firmware upgrade and the two app upgrades. I was flying yesterday and after awhile when I would try and control the aircraft and response was delayed several seconds. Even when I landed, the phone said 15 seconds later "landing". I need to see how much memory  I have left on my phone. That may be part of the issue.
2017-4-23
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

fans18d204c5 Posted at 2017-4-23 05:24
I'm using a Nexus 6P with the latest version of Android and I'm having the exact same problem. Everything was good until I installed the latest firmware upgrade and the two app upgrades. I was flying yesterday and after awhile when I would try and control the aircraft and response was delayed several seconds. Even when I landed, the phone said 15 seconds later "landing". I need to see how much memory  I have left on my phone. That may be part of the issue.

Fans,
       Look at rnrnrn method post #8 try it ---- also make sure the Go4 app is the only app running --- I believe you issue is due to other app's starting up in the background
Android 7nougat has been known to cause problems with the Go4 or it's like Mindy said your phone is not powerful enough anymore
Hope it works for you  
2017-4-23
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As an update, I put the latest firmware on the Mavic the other day.  I've done 7 flights now, and not seen the issue again.  Nothing else has changed.  Tryingt eh power saving settings on the app before the update, didn't seem to have much of an effect.

Andy
2017-4-25
Use props
FrequentC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158770 ft
United States

My app has been acting up for about a month now .... bought a new phone that is on it's way and now I'm hoping that it's not all for nothing.
2017-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules