Impossible to calibrate sticks
7667 12 2017-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Derodeo
lvl.2

Canada

I can't even start the motors using the combination stick command ALTOUGH I was able to start them once while moving the sticks in some random fashion. An indication I thought that I seriously need to calibrate the controller sticks.

Sadly I am finding it impossible to do so (I have been able to calibrate the controller sticks under previous firmware / DHI Go 4 app versions). I am using current firmware and DJI GO 4 version. I have tried two different Android devices. I have tried many dozens of times over the last couple of weeks. The closest to a completed stick calibration I have managed is to do is right stick complete and about 80% of the left stick before the dreaded message "The last remote controller calibration has been time out, the calibration state will be reset". Most attempts do not get nearly this far.

There's no problem centerng the sticks to begin calibration. Typically the left stick won't register even the first dot so I have to start with the right stick. I am sometimes able to eventually finish that one before timing out on the left stick but always there are major delays holding the stick in a certain position for 30 seconds or so before the dot finally moves again. It seems every attempt has different "sticking" places.

I have no idea why DJI wouldn't provide sufficient time to calibrate. Perhaps my controller is broken (I have had only 2 flights!). Is it necessary to start calibration with the left stick? Why did DJI change the calibration procedure (slowly filling in the gaps in the previous version was a pain but far less than it is now).

2017-3-26
Use props
Derodeo
lvl.2

Canada

Well wouldn't you know it, just after I posted this message I tried a few more times and I finished the stick calibration! But I still can't use the proper CSC to start the motors - I did start them again with some random stick movement (I think up and out) but obviously reluctant to try flying when up might be down, left  might be right. Interesting though that down left stick did correctly shut down the motors.
2017-3-26
Use props
digitalintruder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Derodeo Posted at 2017-3-26 21:10
Well wouldn't you know it, just after I posted this message I tried a few more times and I finished the stick calibration! But I still can't use the proper CSC to start the motors - I did start them again with some random stick movement (I think up and out) but obviously reluctant to try flying when up might be down, left  might be right. Interesting though that down left stick did correctly shut down the motors.

It was super-painful to calibrate those sticks - I had to watch a few videos of people doing it. They made it look a lot easier. My take away from calibrating those sticks is that it was a fluid motion trying to hit those blue dots - and it was flaky as heck.

Anyhow, sorry to hear about yor problem - hope it gets resolved.
2017-3-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please make a short video of the calibration issue?
Besides, here is the video tutorial for your reference.
2017-3-27
Use props
Derodeo
lvl.2

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-27 00:14
Could you please make a short video of the calibration issue?
Besides, here is the video tutorial for your reference.

The app told me I had successfully calibrated the sticks (after maybe a hundred freaking tries!!!) so I apologize for not wanting to risk starting over by making a video of the ordeal. But the issue is now that I can't start the motors using the normal CSC (sticks down and in/out). I can start them using up and out (I think that was what worked for me) - does this mean my stick calibration is still faulty or that trying to fly my drone will result in a likely crash as the sticks won't react normally? I'll have to try it tomorrow and see for myself (flying a drone in most of Canada must be done in secret!)

I do strongly recommend DJI provide more time for a user to calibrate before timing out. I know how calibration is done, indeed I have done it with no real problems before under prevous software versions. With more time I could have probably done it again without the extreme aggravation and swearing.
2017-3-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Derodeo Posted at 2017-3-27 15:47
The app told me I had successfully calibrated the sticks (after maybe a hundred freaking tries!!!) so I apologize for not wanting to risk starting over by making a video of the ordeal. But the issue is now that I can't start the motors using the normal CSC (sticks down and in/out). I can start them using up and out (I think that was what worked for me) - does this mean my stick calibration is still faulty or that trying to fly my drone will result in a likely crash as the sticks won't react normally? I'll have to try it tomorrow and see for myself (flying a drone in most of Canada must be done in secret!)

I do strongly recommend DJI provide more time for a user to calibrate before timing out. I know how calibration is done, indeed I have done it with no real problems before under prevous software versions. With more time I could have probably done it again without the extreme aggravation and swearing.

Sorry for my late reply.
Do you still cannot start the motors by using the CSC?
2017-3-30
Use props
AerialAmphibious
New
Flight distance : 10253 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-30 00:59
Sorry for my late reply.
Do you still cannot start the motors by using the CSC?

I just received my Mavic Pro Platinum, and I cannot seem to calibrate the sticks.  I'm having the same issue described above: the calibration keeps timing out.
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

AerialAmphibious Posted at 2018-3-13 16:36
I just received my Mavic Pro Platinum, and I cannot seem to calibrate the sticks.  I'm having the same issue described above: the calibration keeps timing out.

Have you checked the tutorial video I posted above to make sure the steps are correct? Besides, please make sure the firmware of RC and aircraft is matched.
2018-3-16
Use props
djiuser_AllJ46CeREmj
New

Poland

On my RC calibration not working to I try several times but nothing I can do I start calibrating and nothing happens
2018-8-1
Use props
Noel’s high fly
New

djiuser_AllJ46CeREmj Posted at 2018-8-1 16:24
On my RC calibration not working to I try several times but nothing I can do I start calibrating and nothing happens

Just got a Mavic Pro, everything was fine for a few days, now it wants me to do a calibration , sometimes it works, sometime it doesn’t.

Help needed

Iain
2018-8-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Noel’s high fly Posted at 2018-8-1 17:20
Just got a Mavic Pro, everything was fine for a few days, now it wants me to do a calibration , sometimes it works, sometime it doesn’t.

Help needed

Hi, sorry for the troubles that it caused, what specific sensors are you trying to calibrate? Please keep us posted for further help.
2018-8-2
Use props
Terry Pilot
New
United States

When calibrating the RC my right stick never seems to register a return to center. It says it is 6% out of center while at rest. It still allows my to finish and claims calibration was successful. Any Ideas?
2019-8-8
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Normally you don´t need to power on the AC during stick calibration for the RC. On my P3S it goes rapidly to the end and whole positions of both 2 sticks and gimbal wheel are calibrated.
I don´t know much about Mavic but the procedure should be the same.
2019-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules