Gain and Sensitivity Settings
2233 13 2017-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trailblazer5715
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1821880 ft
United States

I live in area with many trees and sometimes practice my flying skills between 5 -10 feet off the ground down the driveway and between the trees. After a couple of close calls I sometimes install removable prop guards just for an added level of comfort during these practice flights. When there are gusts of wind these guards catch a lot of it resulting in more movement than I would like. Does anyone have any recommended gain and/or sensitivity settings to minimize this movement? I have experimented with EXP and gimbal settings to improve recording video but never these other two for better aircraft control. I usually have my P3P in P-GPS mode during these flights.

2017-3-27
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

yI have played with these settings quite a bit myself. Not to say what I have done is for everyone, but the best was I can describe it is I wanted to "soften" everything up so the phantom won't be so reactive. I have  I set my "EXP" to .30 on all. I set my brake back to 80%. For me that was the only things I ended up changing to get the right results I wanted. It definitely softened thing up and moving the brake back let it coast more that an abrupt stop, like it does on the stock setup. Be careful when making these adjustments, especially like with the braking because it might not stop for you if your are approaching a tree or something and you let off the sticks expecting it to stop and it continues to coast. Try your settings out in a large area free of anything to see how it reacts. There are Youtube videos that explain what each one does and recommends some settings. No setting is going to be the same for everyone for sure, but try changing some to see if it helps you get what you are looking for.
2017-3-27
Use props
Trailblazer5715
lvl.4
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-3-27 12:26
yI have played with these settings quite a bit myself. Not to say what I have done is for everyone, but the best was I can describe it is I wanted to "soften" everything up so the phantom won't be so reactive. I have  I set my "EXP" to .30 on all. I set my brake back to 80%. For me that was the only things I ended up changing to get the right results I wanted. It definitely softened thing up and moving the brake back let it coast more that an abrupt stop, like it does on the stock setup. Be careful when making these adjustments, especially like with the braking because it might not stop for you if your are approaching a tree or something and you let off the sticks expecting it to stop and it continues to coast. Try your settings out in a large area free of anything to see how it reacts. There are Youtube videos that explain what each one does and recommends some settings. No setting is going to be the same for everyone for sure, but try changing some to see if it helps you get what you are looking for.

Thanks for the input. I have read some concerns of possibly loosening  props if braking is too hard. I can't confirm it but I think the gain settings may be for correcting movement from external sources such as wind and not inputs from the remote controller.
2017-3-27
Use props
Trailblazer5715
lvl.4
United States

Trailblazer5715 Posted at 2017-3-27 12:54
Thanks for the input. I have read some concerns of possibly loosening  props if braking is too hard. I can't confirm it but I think the gain settings may be for correcting movement from external sources such as wind and not inputs from the remote controller.

I know in some control systems you can tune a loop too fast or aggressive to the point it over corrects and becomes unstable resulting in catastrophic results. Hopefully DJI has limited the range of tuning parameters so we can't get to that point.
2017-3-27
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Trailblazer5715 Posted at 2017-3-27 12:54

Yes, I understand now you are looking for settings that will help with external forces like you mentioned. I don't know either, but I would think some of the available settings would be used to do just that. Help control how the phantom reacts while trying to maintain position and such. Maybe an expert can join in here and offer some advice. I will look forward to that too. And yes, I would think DJI would have put provisions in there so you can't go to far and end up in trouble. I understand we experiment at our own risk.
2017-3-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You've put on prop guards that catch the wind like a sail.
You want to fly between trees and are concerned about the safely of your Phantom.
And you want some magic settings to make it all OK.
The simplest solution would be to fly somewhere else well away from obstacles.
2017-3-27
Use props
Trailblazer5715
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-27 15:52
You've put on prop guards that catch the wind like a sail.
You want to fly between trees and are concerned about the safely of your Phantom.
And you want some magic settings to make it all OK.

...but do you understand the sensitivity and gain settings or have recommendations for them. I know  these are not ideal settings but it is what I have. The prop guards come off when I climb above the obstacles. It is difficult to hone your skills 125+ feet up.
2017-3-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Trailblazer5715 Posted at 2017-3-27 16:05
...but do you understand the sensitivity and gain settings or have recommendations for them. I know  these are not ideal settings but it is what I have. The prop guards come off when I climb above the obstacles. It is difficult to hone your skills 125+ feet up.

Messing with gains is going to be dodgy at best and I doubt you'll find anyone that has any idea about what gains settings might achieve what you want.

2017-3-27
Use props
Trailblazer5715
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-27 18:00
Messing with gains is going to be dodgy at best and I doubt you'll find anyone that has any idea about what gains settings might achieve what you want.

I may experiment with them some but will probably leave them neutral if the results are questionable. Sometimes the question "what is that for" can bite you if you aren't careful.
2017-3-28
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

I normally fly above the trees, but recently got a VR goggles.  With Litchi, you can fly in 3D mode and now i can fly rather easily around trees and other obstacles.  Part of the control issues you are talking about it perception.  One caution though, since there is a small delay in the video, if going too fast, mistakes can happen, but at slower speeds, you are like a hawk flying among the trees.  I know it does not address the settings, but does address control.  
2017-3-28
Use props
Trailblazer5715
lvl.4
United States

bob37 Posted at 2017-3-28 05:38
I normally fly above the trees, but recently got a VR goggles.  With Litchi, you can fly in 3D mode and now i can fly rather easily around trees and other obstacles.  Part of the control issues you are talking about it perception.  One caution though, since there is a small delay in the video, if going too fast, mistakes can happen, but at slower speeds, you are like a hawk flying among the trees.  I know it does not address the settings, but does address control.

Sounds like quite an experience. I have noticed a slight delay in the video feed, which, I agree, could be consequential at higher speeds. I just need to be extra cautious during gusty winds near any obstacle.
2017-3-28
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

bob37 Posted at 2017-3-28 05:38

Are you saying the VR goggles setup with Litchi gives you depth perception?  How can it do that with only one camera?  It seems to me that with only one image source, all it can do is give you "fake" 3D after guessing about what goes where.  And if it guesses wrong, you're kinda screwed?

Since just a few hours ago I "landed" on a power line due to depth perception problems, I'm very interested in this and would be willing to shell out some $$$ if it does work.
2017-3-28
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
United States

As I understand it, it is using the left and right field of the wide-angle image to gain the 3D effect for a single image.  When using the VR goggle, it does give good depth perception.  
2017-3-28
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
United States

Another VR comment.  The image is not perfect - it is the streaming video, so of low resolution.  You still get the 3D effect, but it is not crystal clear like the video you get from the SD card later.   Just to be clear.
2017-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules