1455 16 2017-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

Hello All,
   Perhaps someone else has noticed this, but I'm getting an excessive amount of ATTI mode notifications where the aircraft seems to have lost satellite count or had a true compass error after updating to DJI Go 3.1.6.  I can tell that it has indeed switched to ATTI mode because the aircraft starts to drift when it happens.  Within a second or two later, it regains satellite count or clears out the compass error and everything is fine.  One thing I want to share is that the area in which I am flying is unobstructed.  It is an official flight field.  I have been flying here for about 4 months.  Nothing has changed to the flight field.  I also calibrate my aircraft before each flight.  And yes, it is on the most current firmware.  Has anyone else experienced this?

And one other thing to mention.  I was able to witness this 4 times in two different flight sessions.

atti.jpg
Warnings.PNG
2017-3-27
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Possibly a bad calibration. DO NOT calibrate your compass before every flight. When you have a good calibration LEAVE it! If the app tells you to calibrate, it's probably due to metal objects beneath or near you. Not all metal objects are obvious, such as rocks, rich in iron.
2017-3-28
Use props
Focus4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

I fly Inspires at work every day and frequently run into this as well. We have analyzed the flight records and found that it is always preceded by a compass error. The craft usually switches back to GPS mode within a few seconds. We're still investigating the cause of this, and have a few theories but nothing we can stand by. We also use Phantom 4's and they have never had this issue. Seems to be unique to the Inspire.

BTW - It is not necessary to calibrate your compass for every flight. Our standard practice is to calibrate when we move to a significantly different location. In other words, if I'm flying in Virginia today, when I get to Mississippi tomorrow, I will do a calibration.
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, you only noticed this after updating the app and not the aircraft, correct? Have you tried resetting the unit to factory defaults in the Assistant 2, reinstalling the app and seeing if it persists?  Have you tried calibrating the compass away from most of the concrete or on some grass to see if the compass error continues to pop up?
2017-3-28
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-28 15:36
Just to clarify, you only noticed this after updating the app and not the aircraft, correct? Have you tried resetting the unit to factory defaults in the Assistant 2, reinstalling the app and seeing if it persists?  Have you tried calibrating the compass away from most of the concrete or on some grass to see if the compass error continues to pop up?

Hello Jamie,
     Yes, I noticed this after updating the app.  The aircraft was already up to date.  I haven't reset the unit to factory defaults in the Assistant 2.  I haven't reinstalled the app, but I can duplicate on a different device.  The aircraft was calibrated in an open flight field free of concrete....... nothing but miles of desert.  I also calibrated it twice on the field and had the same issue.  As you can see, I am watching the error logs.  Do you mean to say that I should completely re-flash this aircraft just to prove that it's dropping satellite count and/or having a compass error? However, my snapshot does show a count of 16 satellites when the error shows, so I'm thinking something else is going on.

And to answer everyone else's question, the last calibration was done 50 miles away, and I'm a firm believer in calibrating each time.  There are too many variables to simple say that 1 good calibration will hold for several days.  
2017-3-28
Use props
AHMED-HASSAN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 661775 ft
Austria

I have the same problems.
IMG_1222.PNG
2017-3-31
Use props
AHMED-HASSAN
lvl.3
Austria

They were moving dangerously above and below and on the side and I don't have a good control
2017-3-31
Use props
Focus4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

I had this happen to me when I was out on a shoot yesterday. I've never had it happen for more than a few seconds at a time. But the flight records from yesterday show my craft had a compass error that lasted for 53.5 seconds! It went into atti mode and was unusually mushy to control. I was bringing it back to land and a few seconds before I brought it down, the compass issues resolved. I still landed and rebooted. No issues after that.
2017-4-11
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

GabeZ Posted at 2017-3-28 16:00
Hello Jamie,
     Yes, I noticed this after updating the app.  The aircraft was already up to date.  I haven't reset the unit to factory defaults in the Assistant 2.  I haven't reinstalled the app, but I can duplicate on a different device.  The aircraft was calibrated in an open flight field free of concrete....... nothing but miles of desert.  I also calibrated it twice on the field and had the same issue.  As you can see, I am watching the error logs.  Do you mean to say that I should completely re-flash this aircraft just to prove that it's dropping satellite count and/or having a compass error? However, my snapshot does show a count of 16 satellites when the error shows, so I'm thinking something else is going on.

Just to counter your argument, I travel quite a bit and only with very long distances >> 200km do you need to calibrate a compass. It is strongly advised that with the Magic, P4P and I2, you DO NOT calibrate unless asked to. Mark and Focus4 both posted advice on this. Let me add my voice. I've not had any issues with my I2 but the I1 occasionally issued such messages, always quite brief.

Another thing is that although these craft can be yanked around in the air like yo-yos, you increase your chance of generating an 'event' that causes temporary disorientation.

Anyways, good luck and keep us posted.

2017-4-11
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

AHMED-HASSAN Posted at 2017-3-31 02:52
I have the same problems.

92 kph? Were you chasing a race car?
2017-4-11
Use props
AHMED-HASSAN
lvl.3
Austria

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-11 23:51
92 kph? Were you chasing a race car?

This happened because the gps signal loss has caused an increase in speed .
IMG_2013.PNG
IMG_2014.PNG
2017-4-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

AHMED-HASSAN Posted at 2017-4-12 02:58
This happened because the gps signal loss has caused an increase in speed .

Thanks for clarifying. Right now, i don't have any further suggestions
2017-4-12
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-11 23:49
Just to counter your argument, I travel quite a bit and only with very long distances >> 200km do you need to calibrate a compass. It is strongly advised that with the Magic, P4P and I2, you DO NOT calibrate unless asked to. Mark and Focus4 both posted advice on this. Let me add my voice. I've not had any issues with my I2 but the I1 occasionally issued such messages, always quite brief.

Another thing is that although these craft can be yanked around in the air like yo-yos, you increase your chance of generating an 'event' that causes temporary disorientation.

Well let me counter back.  If something should happen to the aircraft, the first thing DJI is going to ask is "Did you calibrate?"  Often times, this is to prove to that no new variables were introduced, but what I find is that DJI will use it as a excuse for not covering something under warranty.  In fact, every single time I've called or chatted with their support, the first thing out of their mouth was "You should calibrate."  Furthermore, I hardly ever treat my aircraft like a yo yo, but if the job calls for it....... yo yo away.

But I'll be sure and let you know if calibrating each time does or does not improve my situation.  So far, no significance or change.
2017-4-14
Use props
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

To calibrate or not to calibrate?

When I went for my RPAS training we were told to always calibrate when you are at a new location, as it might have different magnetic properties from the last. So I always have. Now a lot of you are saying only calibrate if you move a significant distance?

What's the official word? DJI reps?
2017-4-14
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

GabeZ Posted at 2017-4-14 11:07
Well let me counter back.  If something should happen to the aircraft, the first thing DJI is going to ask is "Did you calibrate?"  Often times, this is to prove to that no new variables were introduced, but what I find is that DJI will use it as a excuse for not covering something under warranty.  In fact, every single time I've called or chatted with their support, the first thing out of their mouth was "You should calibrate."  Furthermore, I hardly ever treat my aircraft like a yo yo, but if the job calls for it....... yo yo away.

But I'll be sure and let you know if calibrating each time does or does not improve my situation.  So far, no significance or change.

Can I refer you to a thread in RC Groups which states that 'since the Mavic...'

Policies and harware have changed since your last experience.
2017-4-14
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Some good info here.Calibrate or not?
This guy knows what he is talking about. Worth a read.

Mark G.
2017-4-15
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

I'm not a member of RC groups, and DJI's troubleshooting methods have not changed.  
2017-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules