Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5 Gimbal issue
2946 20 2017-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ever since I first got the Inspire 1 I've had a ton of little issues, a few corrected with the help of You fellas and in particular Donnie of course, one of the issues, that since I haven't had a lot of flight time, has been sort of forgotten is a "shake" that creeps up on the gimbal, very odd, don't understan why, it happens moving or hovering . I'll include some video. Note that I cut it so you guys don't have to sit there waiting for it to happen, though it happens a lot but it's not constant. This clip is also the one where the communication ended abruptly at 2300 ft and ended som harshly that the camera popped out of record. Please also note, this Inspire 1 Pro was purchased BRAND NEW a couople of months ago. Also note that the gimbal does NOT display this behaviour on the Osmo handle.Below is the video, don't know why it didn't take here. Needless to say the camera is useless like this

2017-3-27
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2017-3-27
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm actually quite miffed the with 94 views no one has chimed in to help with this issue. I am attaching a followup youtube video here showing a couple of issues with this gimbal that I don't believe could be normal. Very beginning of video shows the moment I start motors, the gimbal leans heavily until I let go of the sticks, is this normal? When rolling right or left as seen in the video the camera reacts in the same way as if anticipating the roll but but not syncing with the AC which makes for some lousy video. Can someone please chime in, DJI Jamie or someone in the know? All this little problems I've been having are adding up to a major headache and I need to know if the craft should go to DJI for diagnostic and repair. Please someone help
2017-4-25
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-4-25 03:30
I'm actually quite miffed the with 94 views no one has chimed in to help with this issue. I am attaching a followup youtube video here showing a couple of issues with this gimbal that I don't believe could be normal. Very beginning of video shows the moment I start motors, the gimbal leans heavily until I let go of the sticks, is this normal? When rolling right or left as seen in the video the camera reacts in the same way as if anticipating the roll but but not syncing with the AC which makes for some lousy video. Can someone please chime in, DJI Jamie or someone in the know? All this little problems I've been having are adding up to a major headache and I need to know if the craft should go to DJI for diagnostic and repair. Please someone helphttps://youtu.be/nQXj5lkF764

****Ok I take it you have done the gimbal calibrations and have the latest updates on the X5 camera . Now you say this happens on both the X3 and X5 correct ? do they happen just as badly on each one or super bad on the Zoom lens and only occasionaly on the DJI lens ? this usually comes down to balance issues, some pilots say you must balance that camera with some weights to get it to wrk perfectly , this would be done by adding weight to the back the gimbal and the side of the gimbal , there are videos on this on you tube . I would try that first as it is simple . also you pan and tilt speed is way to fas for comfortable viewing I would back these up quite a bit on the camera gimbal advanced settings . Mine for example are from the top to the bottom 5 - 5 10 -10 and then I have the bottom function enabled .

****The above is the PM I sent you .

donnie
2017-4-29
Use props
iKell Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-4-25 03:30
I'm actually quite miffed the with 94 views no one has chimed in to help with this issue. I am attaching a followup youtube video here showing a couple of issues with this gimbal that I don't believe could be normal. Very beginning of video shows the moment I start motors, the gimbal leans heavily until I let go of the sticks, is this normal? When rolling right or left as seen in the video the camera reacts in the same way as if anticipating the roll but but not syncing with the AC which makes for some lousy video. Can someone please chime in, DJI Jamie or someone in the know? All this little problems I've been having are adding up to a major headache and I need to know if the craft should go to DJI for diagnostic and repair. Please someone helphttps://youtu.be/nQXj5lkF764

Hi,
Maybe check out this thread as well. My issues have been mostly solved at this point–I haven't had a ton of time to use my new 12mm, but I think it's a lot better. I assume you're using the stock 15mm?
http://forum.dji.com/thread-90868-1-1.html
2017-4-29
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The issue is clearly with the craft and you're right, it definitely shouldn't behave like that.

Given the following assumptions, I can think of only one possible cause. Failing that, it needs to go in, in my opinion.

Assumptions:
1. Behaviour is reasonably consistent and repeatable for any camera
2. Firmware versions are consistent between craft and camera(s)
3. Osmo is fine
4. Calibrations okay
5. Go app reset to default settings

Given all of the above, my chief suspects would be the airframe and at a pinch, the Transmitter controls

It's worth checking the angle of the motor arms left to right and front to rear. The landing gear should be at 3 degrees (checkable with an inclinometer app) or, less precisely visually; the prop tips should both point to the gimbal mounting plate

Check too, that all the landing gear/motor and arm control screws are tight and all of the gimbal mounting plate screws are as well

If the airframe seems to checks  out, it'd pay to rile out the transmitter if you can; either by borrowing one or buying one if funds permit, that could then be sold on.

Sending it in should then be your next course of action. Handing it over for a few weeks could make all the difference, particularly if it's becoming frustrating. There's nothing worse than a load of niggles with a new investment to sour the experience.

When working properly, it's a pleasure to use. I only have experiences with the European service centre but they've been incredibly positive and I wouldn't hesitate to pursue the 'send it in' route if I had an issue I couldnt  solve.

Good luck and keep us updated.
2017-4-29
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-4-29 04:17
****Ok I take it you have done the gimbal calibrations and have the latest updates on the X5 camera . Now you say this happens on both the X3 and X5 correct ? do they happen just as badly on each one or super bad on the Zoom lens and only occasionaly on the DJI lens ? this usually comes down to balance issues, some pilots say you must balance that camera with some weights to get it to wrk perfectly , this would be done by adding weight to the back the gimbal and the side of the gimbal , there are videos on this on you tube . I would try that first as it is simple . also you pan and tilt speed is way to fas for comfortable viewing I would back these up quite a bit on the camera gimbal advanced settings . Mine for example are from the top to the bottom 5 - 5 10 -10 and then I have the bottom function enabled .

****The above is the PM I sent you .

No Donnie, no X3 I only have the X5, The zoom lens I refer to is the Oly 14-42 mm EZ, gimbal cal and firmware updates all done, I will do it all again, maybe not the firmware yet as my mac is getting ready to have a stroke, might have to wait to dl it at the office. both lenses display the same behavior, I will additional link a video demonstrating how the lens seems to follow the roll commands and however I don't realize the yaw is also being followed by the lens, I don't know if its suppose to do that, but as you can see in second Island hopping video it just is not correct.
as to pan and tilt speeds actually I made no pans, had the camera in fpv thats me yawing and making abrupt moves in order to exaggerate the adverse effects of the camera moving as is. It's almost as if the RC thinks it's the slave controller and the sticks are sending camera control instead of AC control. In fact there is an instance over the sail boat , where I am rolling but the AC really doesn't seem to be reacting except you can see the camera tilting in the direction of the roll. Anyway, there you have it, Please try and look at the new video. I can see I need to balance the lenses, but still doesn't explain ( to me  at least, the camera following stick commands)
2017-4-29
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

iKell Aerial Posted at 2017-4-29 11:31
Hi,
Maybe check out this thread as well. My issues have been mostly solved at this point–I haven't had a ton of time to use my new 12mm, but I think it's a lot better. I assume you're using the stock 15mm?

yes Ikell as you can see on the new video I added I have both the 15mm DJI and the Ply 14-42, which looked balanced at one point and now doesn't, I will check your suggested thread, thanks
2017-4-29
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

iKell Aerial Posted at 2017-4-29 11:31
Hi,

Man, not for nothing, but I wish I had your shake, let me rephrase that, I wish my gimbal behaved as well as yours. Frankly the work I do would maybe give that amount of shake a pass, what I'm experiencing is just unacceptable . I'm holding off on shooting a video for my employer because I cannot possibly do it with my gimbal's issues.
2017-4-29
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-4-29 19:52
No Donnie, no X3 I only have the X5, The zoom lens I refer to is the Oly 14-42 mm EZ, gimbal's cal and firmware updates all done, I will do it all again, maybe not the firmware yet as my mac is getting ready to have a stroke, might have to wait to dl it at the office. both lenses display the same behavior, I will additional link a video demonstrating how the lens seems to follow the roll commands and however I don't realize the yaw is also being followed by the lens, I don't know if its suppose to do that, but as you can see in second Island hopping video it just is not correct.
as to pan and tilt speeds actually I made no pans, had the camera in fpv thats me yawing and making abrupt moves in order to exaggerate the adverse effects of the camera moving as is. It's almost as if the RC thinks it's the slave controller and the sticks are sending camera control instead of AC control. In fact there is an instance over the sail boat , where I am rolling but the AC really doesn't seem to be reacting except you can see the camera tilting in the direction of the roll. Anyway, there you have it, Please try and look at the new video. I can see I need to balance the lenses, but still doesn't explain ( to me  at least, the camera following stick commands)

I think I know the reason why your videos are so jerky and what not !!! You are not using the Gimbal's abilty to soften the movements which it is designed !!!  
Ok you MUST be in FPV mode and not follow mode , ( FPV does not use the gimbal to soften the momements of the System )  I think that is your challenge , this is what is making your videos so sensitive in the yaw and tilt .  I just test this on my system .    On your main page of the go app go to the  far left on main screen you will see the "arrow " Icon tap on it and you will see 4 options , you want to be on the first one which is "follow "  the next one to the right is "FPV " you DO NOT want that for filming as it gives very jerky movement.  The next one to the right of that is "free" this will free the aircraft to rotate while the camera stays fixed on the subject  you want to stay locked on , this is a great feature when you are at some distance away and need to get the antenna legs on the aircraft pointed back to the transmitter but need to keep the subject  locked in frame .  The next one to the right of that is the Reset which brings the camera back  to the straight and forward position .

So bottom line you are in the  wrong camera view, put it in the "follow" mode  and use  these settings  for the Gimbals advanced settings   gimbal pitch 6  gimbal yaw 6. gimbal yaw  smooth 15 gimbal pitch smooth 15 . The current settings you have are to fast . and be sure to enable sync gimbal follow on the bottom and  your system will work great .
This should solve your issue and I mentioned it in a PM i sent you a while back and just assumed you checked that .  What gives it away is in the video you sent the camera should not rotate with the roll stick in "follow"  mode , that only happens in the FPV mode , you will see a YUGE difference when you get it into follow mode . Also go to the Gimbal settings page with your system fired up and on the top right before you change anything I will bet it say "FPV " mode , it should be in ''Follow " mode .

donnie
2017-4-30
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-4-30 08:20
I think I know the reason why your videos are so jerky and what not !!! You are not using the Gimbal's abilty to soften the movements which it is designed !!!  
Ok you MUST be in FPV mode and not follow mode , ( FPV does not use the gimbal to soften the momements of the System )  I think that is your challenge , this is what is making your videos so sensitive in the yaw and tilt .  I just test this on my system .    On your main page of the go app go to the  far left on main screen you will see the "arrow " Icon tap on it and you will see 4 options , you want to be on the first one which is "follow "  the next one to the right is "FPV " you DO NOT  want that for filming as it gives very jerky movement.  The next one to the right of that is "free" this will free the aircraft to rotate while the camera stays fixed on the subject  you want to stay locked on , this is a great feature when you are at some distance away and need to get the antenna legs on the aircraft pointed back to the transmitter but need to keep the subject  locked in frame .  The next one to the right of that is the Reset which brings the camera back  to the straight and forward position .

Thanks Donnie I will test it out tonight unless I am so beat up I can't move, been moving all day long.
Ur da man, I'll report as soon as I have it done and then again when I'm able to flight test
2017-4-30
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-4-30 11:20
Thanks Donnie I will test it out tonight unless I am so beat up I can't move, been moving all day long.
Ur da man, I'll report as soon as I have it done and then again when I'm able to flight test

You are going to be happy , I tested my system out and had  the results you had so I am confident this will solve it .  Keep me posted . Dont forget have the entire system On and change it to "Follow "

donnie
2017-4-30
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok brother no more roll response However it still has ever so slightl has I don't know if that should happen or not.. I will absolutely try flying it as soon as the wind dies down. Thanks Donnie you always come through for me, let's cross our fingers and hope all is well on the next flight
2017-4-30
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-4-30 18:48
Ok brother no more roll response However it still has ever so slightl has I don't know if that should happen or not.. I will absolutely try flying it as soon as the wind dies down. Thanks Donnie you always come through for me, let's cross our fingers and hope all is well on the next flight

That is normal , that is what it is supposed to do , do this with the system on pick up the AC and Yaw to left and right , you will see the camera yaw  slowly behind the movement , this smoooooooths things out , trust me , go fly and you are gonna love it !!

I knew you had to be in FPV, wait and see how  SMOOTH YOUR VIDEOS WILL BE , ( in follow mode )  change the Gimbal settings as well to my recommend settings , this is a MUST!  Then salt to your own liking ( adjust to what you like ) My  settings are like many pros out there so its going to be close , but like I say , adjust according to your flying style.
also be sure to press the reset button I talked about to get the camera to aim straight  ahead , that is why your other camera was off slightly It was in FPV mode .  You will want to press that reset every onece in a while to return to the Center point so the camera is facing straight ahead .  The  gimbal reset is the Last button ( far right option of the Arrow Icon  )  on the menu of the camera settings as I told you about in my earlier post to you .  

donnie

Funny , we are both in the Car Business too!!   I am shooting commercials at our dealership also !!!
You owe me a beer for this one .......even if only root beer as I dont drink anymore ....... found Out I was allergic to alcohol ..... everytime I drank  I BROKE OUT IN HANDCUFFS !!!!  Just kidding about that , had a head injury years ago ( at work )  and Just cant do that no more .

donnie

2017-5-1
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-5-1 04:37
That is normal , that is what it is supposed to do , do this with the system on pick up the AC and Yaw to left and right , you will see the camera yaw  slowly behind the movement , this smoooooooths things out , trust me , go fly and you are gonna love it !!

I knew you had to be in FPV, wait and see how  SMOOTH YOUR VIDEOS WILL BE , ( in follow mode )  change the Gimbal settings as well to my recommend settings , this is a MUST!  Then salt to your own liking ( adjust to what you like ) My  settings are like many pros out there so its going to be close , but like I say , adjust according to your flying style.

I think a nice stiff apple juice shot is warranted LOL, Still no chance to test in the air, likely this weekend the weather cooperates and I will be off work and no other commitments yet.
2017-5-4
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-5-4 07:06
I think a nice stiff apple juice shot is warranted LOL, Still no chance to test in the air, likely this weekend the weather cooperates and I will be off work and no other commitments yet.

Okey dokey , apple juice it is , this is what Dean Martin drank when on stage an everyone though it was Scotch , He may have acted tipsy , but he was just playing a part !!

Ok back to business, be sure to set  the settings on the Gimbal Per my previous post , I think you will be happy  !!

donnie
2017-5-4
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-5-4 11:08
Okey dokey , apple juice it is , this is what Dean Martin drank when on stage an everyone though it was Scotch , He may have acted tipsy , but he was just playing a part !!

Ok back to business, be sure to set  the settings on the Gimbal Per my previous post , I think you will be happy  !!

Everything is set and ready, I just have to get of my a** hopefully tomorrow, I'll do it live on Facebook
2017-5-5
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-5-5 12:30
Everything is set and ready, I just have to get of my a** hopefully tomorrow, I'll do it live on Facebook

Ok, best of luck .  

I have to work today but will check in later .

donnie
2017-5-6
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-5-5 12:30

Ok , I am here and  you have no Update Chief ,.........You're  Killing me Smalls ! ( "Sandlot" .... Movie reference , hope you saw it or this reference  will make NO sense to you ....LOL )
donnie
2017-5-7
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-5-7 04:44
Ok , I am here and  you have no Update Chief ,.........You're  Killing me Smalls ! ( "Sandlot" .... Movie reference , hope you saw it or this reference  will make NO sense to you ....LOL )
donnie

Jajajajajaja it makes no sense whatsoever, but that's alright cuz U DA MAN!!!!
Houston we have ignition and running on high.
Ok don't be smug, it works no bounties, no unwanted camera moves.
Frankly I don't find panning to be very smooth but I think it's unfortunate limitations of the camera.
It's amazing how Facebook completely obliterates the quality of the image, but hey a couple of years ago we didn't even dream of an aerial broadcast, I will be doing one for work soon.
Anyway brother, thanks so much for holding my hand through this weening hmmmmm or is it weeny ... Period
2017-5-8
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-5-8 17:40
Jajajajajaja it makes no sense whatsoever, but that's alright cuz U DA MAN!!!!
Houston we have ignition and running on high.
Ok don't be smug, it works no bounties, no unwanted camera moves.

Ok that great  , so happy you have it working properly , just remember panning Needs to be very slow, I prefer to have two operators ( need two RC's,  ) when shooting  valuable video - anyway just make sure the pans are VERY SLOW  AND SMOOTH , it makes the video so  much more pleasing to the eye .  Or you can also do a cool move of just  moving  ( rolling left or right )  the aircraft to the left or right keeping your subject in frame .

For example rather than panning say the front of our dealership to see all the cars in the front   row, I will simply  get the camera pointed down at the first  few  cars in the front  line and then slowly drift to the left (or right) using the right stick to "roll "  just dont  go to fast or the video gets  to  look uncomfortable for viewing  , you can also speed things up in post production if you need to , but you must be smooth during filming  for this to be effective  

Any way good luck and just keep  practicing and one day it will just "click " and you will get it , be sure to write down ALL your settings  so that you can find them easily when you are experimenting with different  values in the configurations or if you need to  reset the system .

Now you can get it not the wonderful world of frame rates, exposure , filters , etc , etc, etc,  this is what makes video an 'ART AND A SCIENCE "   it will take time  but once you have the basics down it is a lot of fun.  Also I find the best time for shooting is early morning just after sunrise or just at or near sunset, in Florida I bet it is just beautiful and here in Michigan in the Fall it just can't be beat !!  

Have fun

donnie
2017-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules