Shut down while airborn.
1512 12 2017-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gstan30117
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228645 ft
United States

Just wondering, will my P3S shut down mid-flight if I lock the left stick back like I would if I were shutting down on the ground? And if it does and you have enough altitude, will it restart?
2017-3-29
Use props
GaryDZ
lvl.3

United States

If that were the case, everyone would be crashing. No, the motors will stop only if there is no downward motion of the AC for 2 seconds. Many threads on this.
2017-3-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

No, it won't.  Left stick down will just descend until it lands, then it will shut off the motors after a few seconds.
2017-3-29
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

No. I often do a full left stick lock from 500m heights when bring my drone home as I may also be 1500 - 2000m distance as well.  
2017-3-29
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4856 ft
United States

I was landing my P4P and all I had pressed down was the throttle down to land and it cut off at 46 feet and crashed. Feed and Camera recording turned off. yet when it was on the ground in pieces it was still on... Waiting to hear back from DJI on this craziness! Hope yours was closer to the ground when it happened.
2017-3-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-3-29 14:00
I was landing my P4P and all I had pressed down was the throttle down to land and it cut off at 46 feet and crashed. Feed and Camera recording turned off. yet when it was on the ground in pieces it was still on... Waiting to hear back from DJI on this craziness! Hope yours was closer to the ground when it happened.

That was not related to having the left stick down.
If that caused problems we'd have all crashed on our first flight.
2017-3-29
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4856 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-29 14:19
That was not related to having the left stick down.
If that caused problems we'd have all crashed on our first flight.

I was just saying that because a lot of people
have held down and to the right while pressing the RTH button. I would've crashed my Mavic if that was the case as well as everyone else like you were saying. So I don't see how this was user error.
2017-3-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

No, you need to perform a CSC to purposely crash land. ;-)

Pulling the left stick fully back, only reduces rotor speed,  allowing the drone to land. Safely.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-29
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-3-29 14:25
I was just saying that because a lot of people
have held down and to the right while pressing the RTH button. I would've crashed my Mavic if that was the case as well as everyone else like you were saying. So I don't see how this was user error.

As I understand that is the new "CSC" or emergency inflight shutdown command so I hope a lot of people aren't trying it or DJI stamped things will be falling out of the sky all over the place!!

When I first saw the new command it seemed reasonable to me, surely no one could do that accidentally but they just might on purpose if they hadn't bothered to read any instructions.  If you were somewhere up high and wanted to come home ASAP (and were not sure where the AC was) a new operator without sufficient (any) knowledge could possibly intentionally perform a CSC without realizing exactly what they were doing.

Since DJI has to allow for the lowest common denominator maybe they have to change the emergency shutdown procedure again (and while they are at it try to stop any possibility of the AC shutting itself down which does seem to happen occasionally)

There was a survey over on PP a month or so ago where someone wanted a separate dedicated emergency shutdown button. I do not agree with that, too easy to hit by mistake, why have a new control that 99.9% of OPs will never use and only new RCs would have it anyway.
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to reiterate, no it will not shut down the aircraft mid flight. When you solely hold the throttle stick down, it will not shut off until the IMU/ barometer senses that it's on the ground and is no longer able to descend farther value wise.
2017-3-29
Use props
Gstan30117
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228645 ft
United States

Thanks everyone.
2017-4-4
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 16:23
Just to reiterate, no it will not shut down the aircraft mid flight. When you solely hold the throttle stick down, it will not shut off until the IMU/ barometer senses that it's on the ground and is no longer able to descend farther value wise.

Now if a fellow were to hold the left stick down until it was on the ground, would it not land in a very harsh way?  Seems they have a tendency to drop very fast with the stick down.
2017-4-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

WD9EON Posted at 2017-4-4 07:02
Now if a fellow were to hold the left stick down until it was on the ground, would it not land in a very harsh way?  Seems they have a tendency to drop very fast with the stick down.

When you get relatively close to the ground, you should lay off the throttle to let it touch down more smoothly. Holding it down all the way is really for when you're pretty high up to begin with and want to get down ASAP due to various reasons. If you keep it down the entire way without easing off, the landing will be a little hard.
2017-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules