What is the recommended wind speed to fly?
3121 7 2015-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mohamed.j.rizwa
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Hello people,

I just wanted to what is the recommended wind speed to have a good flight?, i have a Phantom 2 Vision + V3 and today i treid flying at a wond speed of 29 kmph and i struggled to hover it would move by itself with that speed wind however with difficulty it still managed a decent video, i took it down with a minutes time.

Please advice...
2015-2-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

wind speeds under 10mph are relatively benign.  wind speeds between 10mph and 15mph are manageable but need careful attention (battery managment, watching out for sudden gps loss and shift to atti mode, etc).  wind speeds of >15mph are certainly manageable but i personally dont go there.  wind speeds above 20-25mph are just asking for trouble particularly if you get far downwind from your location.  also always remember that ground wind speeds and wind speeds at 200ft AGL can vary a great deal, i always err on the safe side which is why i stay below 15mph at ground level.
2015-2-27
Use props
mohamed.j.rizwa
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Thank you for your advice...
2015-2-27
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-28 00:26
wind speeds under 10mph are relatively benign.  wind speeds between 10mph and 15mph are manageable b ...

I second this. No wind is best. Flying in higher wind speeds can turn a small issue into a big problem very quickly.

Also the website windyty.com is excellent for checking wind speeds at different alititudes and to see what wind speeds will be later in the day.
2015-2-27
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

And certainly any windspeed that is blowing faster than your Phantom can technically go (15 m/sec. I believe which DJI also state is not recommended) is obviously not good!
I have flown in a few gusts and it is a bit comical almost...kind of like the little train that could NOT.
2015-2-27
Use props
FlynHawaiian
lvl.1

United States

Another good wind forecast website is uavforecast.com
2015-6-25
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

Not really good the fly in winds of 15 mph or more. The quad has to struggle to return home with those night of headwinds battery is consumed rapidly in higher winds.
2015-6-26
Use props
DiogoPintoCinem
New

Portugal

Help?
On the descent I lost control over my drone, not responding to my commands.
See this short video.
2015-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules