Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Happy camper with one irritating issue with Mavic
1845 23 2017-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
n0gga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 502044 ft
Norway

Hi everyone.

Had my mavic for just over a week now, and haven't had a real chance to get to know it due to bad weather.
Got a couple of hours today and didn't hesitate to get my Mavic out.
The footage is great, have already put three videos out on Youtube.
All in all the Mavic performs great, no connectivity issues or dangerous situations.

But I'm experiencing a problam that really annoys me - jaw-drift while stationary, and a Mavic going diagonally when putting right stick forward. The jaw-drift seems to stabilise when giving it som time in the air, but it alternates between right and left direction. It irritates me when trying to get time-lapse material and pictures during night, but other than that it doesen't bother me to much. Ofc hoping it will get better.

The undoubtedly worst bit is the Mavic drifting sideways when telling it to go straight forward. This happened in both left and right direction today, and I physically have to counteract it with the RC to stop it. And I'm telling you, that isn't easy without getting jerky footage.

Additional information: Compass is green and very low, IMU is green and very low (never calibrated since I've never been prompted) and RC calibration shows 0% in all directions when not in use. Running .500 firmware.

HELP, this is the only thing that really bugs me, but in the end its an (hopefully) easy fix and luckily not (yet) a deal breaker. I'm adding a short video illustrating the diagonal drifting while going straight forward. YES the stick is forward, and not pointing either sides.

Thanks, Marius.

2017-3-29
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

This may seem like an obvious question but..... was it windy? I have seen my Mavic do this once in wind, I'm not sure if it was the wind or something with the GPS but I havent seen it since
2017-3-29
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

I also looks like your horizon is a bit off.  I really haven't had a drift problem except in high wind and when the compass needed calibration (rotational drift).
2017-3-29
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Marius ,

You also have a  menu to calibrate the remote controller Sticks
have you tried that ?

2017-3-29
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Norway

Not very windy, at least not enough to cause this. Experienced the same very close to the ground.
Even tried tap fly, but it just drifted out of its path

Horizon is a bit off yes, won't say its relevant here.

SkunkWerxs, as stated above. RC is perfectly calibrated.

Thanks all!
2017-3-29
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

n0gga Posted at 2017-3-29 11:16
Not very windy, at least not enough to cause this. Experienced the same very close to the ground.

as stated above. RC is perfectly calibrated

I seen you stated the IMU and the Compass you did not mention the controller Sticks , They have a totally different menu page on the controller ?
2017-3-29
Use props
Stavo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 336972 ft
United States

It will drift off in cross winds even more so if it's gusty and unpredictable and yes, it's hard to be smooth to correct that. I cannot tell from the video if there is any significant wind or not but I have experienced the drift quite often here in the Windy City. Best solution I've used so far is to use waypoints when I'm trying to get a 'straight' flight shot in any kind of winds. The MP is smoother at getting from A to B than I.

It will hover/stabilize in winds better than straight flight.
2017-3-29
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Norway

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-29 11:21

I seen you stated the IMU and the Compass you did not mention the controller Sticks , They have a totally different menu page on the controller ?

From original post:
Additional information: Compass is green and very low, IMU is green and very low (never calibrated since I've never been prompted) and RC calibration shows 0% in all directions when not in use. Running .500 firmware.
But thanks!
2017-3-29
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Norway

Stavo Posted at 2017-3-29 11:23
It will drift off in cross winds even more so if it's gusty and unpredictable and yes, it's hard to be smooth to correct that. I cannot tell from the video if there is any significant wind or not but I have experienced the drift quite often here in the Windy City. Best solution I've used so far is to use waypoints when I'm trying to get a 'straight' flight shot in any kind of winds. The MP is smoother at getting from A to B than I.

It will hover/stabilize in winds better than straight flight.

Thanks, will try waypoints when i need a straight line that I'm planning to do. But i find it strange that this behaviour also happens at around 2 metres height with very low wind speeds. Same goes for the behaviour in tap fly, when it simply drifted out of course - isn't it supposed to correct this in order to stay on course?

Marius.
2017-3-29
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

n0gga Posted at 2017-3-29 11:30
From original post:
But thanks!

Marius,

I'm going to try to explain the digital proportional operation Please don't get mad at me
with your sticks centered it will always state zero as you move the sticks in the direction you want to go
the numeric reading you should go from between 0 and 100 in sequential order when moved very slowly.
If the stick calibration is off it can read 0 - 1- 2 - 3 -10 - 11 -22 - 80 - 90 - 95 - 96 - 100
In other words it is not in sequential order it is jumping , say it should read 50% from the stick center to half way to the top 100% ----- Uncelebrated  it can be reading 80% instead of 50%
I'm just trying to help you out   
2017-3-29
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Tree branches are mush too. Lot of issues there.
2017-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

n0gga Posted at 2017-3-29 11:16

Depending what type of ground your flying over sometimes VPS has trouble with grass or snow because of no defining pattern, VPS usually working from the ground up to 15 meters ,

are you having the same problem when flying at heights above 15 meters?
2017-3-29
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-29 12:34
Depending what type of ground your flying over sometimes VPS has trouble with grass or snow because of no defining pattern, VPS usually working from the ground up to 15 meters ,

are you having the same problem when flying at heights above 15 meters?

Hey Hall ,
He was up High in his Vid
2017-3-29
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Norway

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-29 11:52
Marius,

I'm going to try to explain the digital proportional operation Please don't get mad at me

Not getting mad, no worries. I appreciate everyone trying to help me out here!Just checked my remote, and the numbers seems just fine all the way on both sticks.
Attaching a photo showing 100% forward, which i assume tells the Mavic to only move directly forward and not sideways/diagonally.

Have been adviced by fellow Mavic-owners on mavicpilots.com to do an IMU calibration. Will be trying that first, and come back to you guys on the results. Will also do some more extensive testing focusing on this issue (closer to ground with no wind and with waypoints).

Thanks for all help so far - I'll get back to you as soon as i've calibrated IMU.

Marius.

Screenshot RC calibration

Screenshot RC calibration
2017-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-29 11:21

It looks like he was up about 45 feet he could be still in VPS range, I'm talking 80 feet and try it at that, if it's the same he can rule it out.
2017-3-29
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Norway

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-29 12:26
Tree branches are mush too. Lot of issues there.

Not sure what branches your talking about, but original footage can't be compared to this one. Pushed it on Youtube in 720p to get it going fast (wasn't going for a quality video), but original 4k looks a lot better. This goes for details as thin branches on the trees ++
But thanks for watching out - please check some of my other videos on Youtube for flaws, I'm interested in knowing. Have to say though, youtube never deliver it as clear as when I'm watching it locally on my machine.

Marius.
2017-3-29
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

n0gga Posted at 2017-3-29 12:49
Not sure what branches your talking about, but original footage can't be compared to this one. Pushed it on Youtube in 720p to get it going fast (wasn't going for a quality video), but original 4k looks a lot better. This goes for details as thin branches on the trees ++
But thanks for watching out - please check some of my other videos on Youtube for flaws, I'm interested in knowing. Have to say though, youtube never deliver it as clear as when I'm watching it locally on my machine.

Ah it's a compression issue. Just pointing it out, I see this in a lot of videos and wondering if the users were blind.
2017-3-29
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-29 12:46
It looks like he was up about 45 feet he could be still in VPS range, I'm talking 80 feet and try it at that, if it's the same he can rule it out.

True Hall your right 45 feet isn't it  the purgatory zone for the VSP ?
2017-3-29
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-29 12:46

Will be checking that out, thanks.

Additional info: Went into the app to check the flight records, and it seems to me that the actual direction of the drone (or orientation) is wriong. Seems like the arrow in the map (in flight records) is pointing slightly off from the reality, It then would make sense why its flying diagonally.

Is this a case og compass/IMU calibration perhaps?

Marius.
2017-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-29 12:49
True Hall your right 45 feet isn't it  the purgatory zone for the VSP ?

I just know flying my Mavic over the grass in our garden at ten feet it continues to veer off line, yet when I fly it over the wife's flower beds straight as a dye. And we all know with VPS it will cause that exact veering when flying low over water , and we're told to raise up above 15 meters. It's an easy one to cross of the list.
2017-3-29
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Norway

Coming in with a little update here. Haven't calibrated anything yet, but I checked out the rest of my footage from yesterday.
The pictures below shows a main road that goes straight through my town, and you can clearly see that the camera is aiming in a different direction than the flightpath.
But the funny thing is when I check the flight records, because it states that the drone was actually pointing in the direction it was flying (to the right of the road).
I found this thread on Mavicpilots: Why the mavic doesnt move in the exact straight path? - Here are multiple examples of people suffering from the same problem. Some actually assume that the camera/gimball isn't pointing in a straight line. As said, next step now will be to calibrate, and then doublecheck whether the aircraft itself actualy goes in a straight line. As I recall from yesterday, the aircraft actually drifted ever so slightly diagonally in right/left direction, it wasn't the camera that was off. Hoping for a solution to this, can't be to difficult...?
Also mentioning that everyone in the mavicpilots-thread linked to above had done al calibrations possible, and still got the drift.

Marius.

Here you can see my starting point. Aiming to the left of city hall (building behind roundabout)

Here's where I ended up. Aircraft drifted to the right of intended path.

Here you can clearly see that the arrow isn't alligned with what the camera sees. Height around 135 feet.
(as a reference point, check out the funky S-curve on map and on actual picture).

2017-3-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello n0gga, it doesn't hurt to do the compass calibration.
Please try with the calibration then test again. If the issue persists, please provide me with your DJI Account email.
I'll help to review your flight records.
2017-3-30
Use props
fansf5a664e1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1586890 ft
Sweden

I have the same issue, I´ve done all the calibration but not the VPS. But I also have it at hights so it should not matter if the VPS is calibrated or not?
2017-4-6
Use props
way wrong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 351631 ft
Estonia

n0gga Posted at 2017-3-29 23:01
Coming in with a little update here. Haven't calibrated anything yet, but I checked out the rest of my footage from yesterday.
The pictures below shows a main road that goes straight through my town, and you can clearly see that the camera is aiming in a different direction than the flightpath.
But the funny thing is when I check the flight records, because it states that the drone was actually pointing in the direction it was flying (to the right of the road).

It's doing the same thing sometimes when I'm flying but it seems tha even small wind makes Mavic drift when flying straight and with half or less speed.

And now sorry for thread cra****g but forum doesn't allow DJI logo or writing on the avatar. It's written in the terms when you register your account.
2017-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules