Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
exif altitude still wrong
3528 8 2017-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adam1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

so, any fix to this ongoing annoying problem.  I have clients that depend on the correct altitude in the metadata.
2017-3-30
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I was just reading about the exif altitude in another forum with a Phantom.  Sounds like that data is from the GPS and not that accurate and can be off by several hundred feet.

To use the barometer accurately, it might need to be calibrated to the local pressure prior to each flight much like a real airplane.  My Garmin handheld GPS needs to do that which means I have to find the pressure from some weather website for where I'm at so it can be accurate.  Don't know if DJI will do that in their software.  My iPad has a calibration for its internal barometer too, but not in GO that I know of.  If I don't set it right, it's off by a few hundred feet too.

2017-3-30
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Hi Adam,

What sort of service are you providing for your client?

Mark G.
2017-3-30
Use props
adam1
lvl.4
United States

Back plate imagery.
2017-3-31
Use props
richard.ladarte
lvl.1
United States

I am running Into a related problem. Capturing images to create an orthomosaic map using Maps Made Easy. Getting beautiful photo maps and the elevation maps 'look' great. But when analysing the data, all of my heights are compressed almost 40% as well as the reported average height agl.  Looking at the exif files, the reported altitude is correct within a few meters and MME also takes a reference shot on the ground so that the processor can compensate for GPS height errors. But I still get these huge elevation errors in the map and no one at MME can come up with a reason or solution. Just ran the same data through Drone Deploy with similar results and they can't explain it or offer axsolution. Anyone here have any ideas?
2017-4-1
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Maybe if they offered a launch with your ability to set the known altitude along with the barometer the EXIF data would be more accurate?  In my Garmin hiking GPS I can set the barometer and also tune the altitude a bit if it is off which it usually is.  After that, it pretty much tracks by one foot elevations well.  I have used it too stamp the EXIF data into photos taken with my DSLR and it was accurate.  

I'd be curious if the survey drones (e.g. Trimble) have some pre-launch calibration for their barometers as they claim pretty good numbers.

Fwiw, my iPad Air 2 has a barometer in it but I find I sometimes have to calibrate it to otherwise the altitude is way off.  The app I use is sort of problmeatic as I have to fiddle quite a bit with it before it gives me my known altitude, but it gets there in time.

2017-4-1
Use props
adam1
lvl.4
United States

Seems like such an easy software fix.

Autopilot uses  barometer at beginning of flight. Does anyone know if when you use autopilot to take an image, does it write the exif data to the image, or is it dji
2017-4-2
Use props
mbro13
lvl.1
United States

Will someone at DJI please respond as to how this incorrect altitude data bug will be fixed?  This is very important information that is needed for mapping.  Thank you!
2017-5-30
Use props
Bazza.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57726 ft
United Kingdom

mbro13 Posted at 2017-5-30 07:25
Will someone at DJI please respond as to how this incorrect altitude data bug will be fixed?  This is very important information that is needed for mapping.  Thank you!

Just a thought. Is it possible to insert a column into the data sheet deducting the starting point elevation recorded from each photo elevation. If it is, you could then add the actual starting point elevation to get the actual height. Or am I miles off?
2017-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules