people that try to stop a growing hobby
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy1963
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40548 ft
United Kingdom

I have just read in the news about some one flying a drone near heathrow airport, Why are people so stupid, Its this sort of thing that will
bring in harder laws on this great hobby. Some people have no brains, why put people life in danger !
Im new to the hobby and have tryed everything in my power to know where im going to fly is 110% safe for everyone
If people like this carry on it will kill the hobby !  trust me if i knew who it was I would report it !
If you want to see a plane wing buy a ticket for a flight. idiot...Story >>>>
https://www.theguardian.com/tech ... eathrow-near-misses
2017-3-31
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

I think it unlikely that you are going to fly your drone at 10,000ft near an airport since DJI has a 500m altitude limit plus restrictions near airports plus a battery life that could not get to 10,000ft and back without running out of power!  Returning down the 3Km at a maximum decent speed of 3m/s will take 17 minutes so I guess it would be possible without the height restriction, but you wouldn't be able to hang around up there waiting for an aircraft to arrive, or manoeuvre into it's path!  Also, if an airliner traveling at 135mph (normal speed for an airliner on the decent into an airport) was to pass your Phantom at more than about 20m distance then it would be unrecognisable as a drone and probably not seen at all - it is too small to see at those speeds and distances.

These are not consumer drones like the Phantom that they are seeing.

They are all UFOs which so far nobody has managed to take a photo or video of and nobody has accurately identified.

2017-3-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'd be more concerned about:
•        Airline pilots that have been scared by a flurry of unsubstantiated reports of drones in close proximity to aircraft
•        Investigators with little knowledge of drones and their limitations and showing no skepticism when looking into very dubious reports..
•        Ignorant journalists that want to push a sexy story

If you look at official incident reports for the "incidents" mentioned in that article you see some very dubious reports.

1.  (at FL70 = 7000ft)
https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/ ... eport%202016229.pdf

THE A320 PILOT reports that during the intermediate approach from LAM, a large drone was seen by the flight crew, moving in a relative position from the forward left to the rear left of the aircraft. He assessed the drone to have passed less than 100ft from the aircraft (~20m) and possibly within the wingspan. The drone itself was blue and disc-like in structure, with a single rotor, approximately 50cm in diameter.

2.  (at 3500 ft)
https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/ ... eport%202016242.pdf

The A320 pilot  reports departing from Heathrow RW27 when, in the climb out, at approximately 3500ft, a drone passed overhead the aircraft.  It was close enough to identify that it was red in colour and the design seemed to consist of two  modules.
It was difficult to judge the distance without knowing the size of the drone, but it didn’t look too far off the right wing, and so he estimated it was 50m away.

3....(at FL100 = 10000 ft)
https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/ ... eport%202016239.pdf

both crew noticed an object in the 1 o’clock position which had no lighting and appeared stationary. They tracked it for about 5sec as it passed down the right side. They both questioned 'Was that a drone? At 10,000ft!'.
The pilot stated that it was clearly identifiable as a large drone and not a bird or balloon. It was dark in colour with a T-shape landing frame, with multiple arms and rotors (6-8) and passed just below the right wing

Back in the 1970s when pilots commonly reported they saw UFOs but very few people believed there really were flying saucers buzzing around.
But in the 21st century the UFOs are called drones and almost everyone gullibly believes they must be.

One reason that all these reports end with .. The drone operator could not be traced, is because there was no drone or operator.
2017-3-31
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Maybe that pilot thought he was in Taiwan where I fly at 3000m.  Too bad as he would have already crashed into the mountains I fly off which go to 4000m.

2017-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules