Mavic Zion National Park
7813 34 2017-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15059 ft
United States

I visited Zion National Park in Utah last week and fle my Mavic.

Color Profile is Emili. Just learning how to use my editing software so pardon me.  View is amazing tho.
2017-4-1
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

**flew.  Can't edit it anymore.  ;)
2017-4-1
Use props
fans29865fd0
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Use of remote-controlled equipment (including but not limited to helicopters, drones, and other aircraft-based equipment) within Zion National Park is prohibited.
2017-4-1
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Cute touch at the end.  Did you manage to get permission to fly in Zion?
2017-4-1
Use props
POTUS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475850 ft
United States

Thanks for breaking the rules so that we have stricter drone laws established for the rest of us.  Great shot of your plate to make it easier to fine you!  
2017-4-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job nice video.
2017-4-1
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

Go App normally tells you if its prohibited to fly or not.  It didn't say anything at all so I flew it.  Of course, I am not aware that its prohibited and shouldn't rely on the GO APP, for all the bashers...  Look on youtube and you will see lots of footages that were shot on prohibited areas so no need to tell me.  I will deal with it and not you if there will be a problem.
Note:  I didn't destroy or crashed my Mavic in the mountains so it will stay for a million more years.  I saw around 5 other people flying their drones too...
2017-4-1
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

POTUS Posted at 2017-4-1 07:12
Thanks for breaking the rules so that we have stricter drone laws established for the rest of us.  Great shot of your plate to make it easier to fine you!

You mean because I shot this video, we will have stricter laws... C'mon,,,  Of course unless you are the real POTUS....
2017-4-1
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Yeah around mountains, can't really do much damage. Just we had that idiot come over and fly into the hot springs in Yellowstone. Yellowstone certain times of the year is beautiful. But that drone sunk to the bottom, and the springs are alive. They were worried it was going to affect the critters that live in it.

I'm all for protecting sites like that. Nice video btw.
2017-4-1
Use props
MIP
lvl.2
United States

It's ok to break the law because others do it. if you don't believe me check out the footage I shot of myself doing it!
2017-4-1
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

MIP Posted at 2017-4-1 15:56
It's ok to break the law because others do it. if you don't believe me check out the footage I shot of myself doing it!

Are you telling me it's ok to break the law because other do it???  You will be in a lot of trouble my friend...

I tried to find your footage but couldn't find one..
2017-4-1
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

Great video. I find that most beautiful places I would like to use my drone at I'm not allowed to. We have what some would call the 8th wonder of the world only minutes away from my house. It's the Kinzua Skywalk.  I've seen some beautiful footage from there. I actually stopped up there a few days ago and asked before flying. I was told "Sorry it's a no fly zone".  I hate that we can't fly in most of these great places.
2017-4-1
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

I live within 30 miles of Zion. I've never flown it. It is simply illegal to fly in ANY National Park. Period. You can snark back at those whose question your judgement to fly there all you want but sometimes stupidity wins right? If I were you I'd remove the video and thread and slink off.
2017-4-1
Use props
Sticks
lvl.2

United States

That was very nice liked the ending with the family
2017-4-1
Use props
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Cool! Thank you for sharing. Love Zion National Park
2017-4-1
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

PartsGuy Posted at 2017-4-1 17:36
I live within 30 miles of Zion. I've never flown it. It is simply illegal to fly in ANY National Park. Period. You can snark back at those whose question your judgement to fly there all you want but sometimes stupidity wins right? If I were you I'd remove the video and thread and slink off.

Partsguy,

No harm was done to the mountains so why don't you just enjoy the grandeur and beauty of it. OR just don't post on MY thread.
2017-4-1
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Hi,

Great video - and a cool touch at the end ;-) As to all the negative comments you got - I'm honestly not surprised. There are two basic types of approach to idiotic and/or evil laws:

1) it's the law, you should obey it,

2) it's evil and it's your civic duty to disobey it.

I live in Germany. There are a lot of stupid laws here. And quite often I've found myself telling people "72 years after Hitler's death you should already know that point 2 is the way to go" - but I do get big eyes in response but I've also had cops saying "yeah, whatever, goodbye" ;-) Some people do get it.

Anyhow - sorry for the political rant but that's how it goes sometimes. Happy flying :-)

Cheers!
2017-4-2
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

The DJI app only shows airports. There are plenty of other areas where it is illegal to take off and land a drone. For example the National Parks as well as Wilderness Zones.

You are allowed to fly within national parks, but only if you take off and land outside of the park boundaries.
5 other people flying drones near you? I see one other car parked....
2017-4-2
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
United States

fans56a35a6c Posted at 2017-4-1 19:50
Partsguy,

No harm was done to the mountains so why don't you just enjoy the grandeur and beauty of it. OR just don't post on MY thread.

Ok. Gotcha. I don't imagine you'll be putting up threads like this after the NPS confiscates your machine anyway. Maybe they'll get those other 5 machines you claimed were flying in the park too.
2017-4-2
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-4-2 05:06
The DJI app only shows airports. There are plenty of other areas where it is illegal to take off and land a drone. For example the National Parks as well as Wilderness Zones.

You are allowed to fly within national parks, but only if you take off and land outside of the park boundaries.

No, I didn't say near me. The park is humongous, as we drive, you will see people holding their remotes and looking up. I don't thing they are flying airplanes or helicopters, right?
2017-4-2
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Forget the haters, my only advice would be: next time don't fly your drone from the road, find a more remote location. If any type of authority were to drive by you would be SOL, keep breaking the rules just do a better job of it ;)

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

2017-4-2
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

***think. I'm using my cell and auto correct sucks.
2017-4-2
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-4-2 01:15
Hi,

Great video - and a cool touch at the end ;-) As to all the negative comments you got - I'm honestly not surprised. There are two basic types of approach to idiotic and/or evil laws:

Thanks. You Totally got it man. I think we have to change laws in here. This will be the future and FAA should look at it and treat drone like cars. We should get a license and fly wherever we want and if there's an incident then pilot should get fined.
2017-4-2
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

fans56a35a6c Posted at 2017-4-1 08:37
Go App normally tells you if its prohibited to fly or not.  It didn't say anything at all so I flew it.  Of course, I am not aware that its prohibited and shouldn't rely on the GO APP, for all the bashers...  Look on youtube and you will see lots of footages that were shot on prohibited areas so no need to tell me.  I will deal with it and not you if there will be a problem.
Note:  I didn't destroy or crashed my Mavic in the mountains so it will stay for a million more years.  I saw around 5 other people flying their drones too...

You are wrong. I went to Las Vegas strip, not an airport strip.
2017-4-2
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

fans56a35a6c Posted at 2017-4-1 08:37

You are wrong. I went to Las Vegas strip, not an airport strip.
2017-4-2
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

I'll just post comments later and not use my phone. It doesn't take everything I wrote.
2017-4-2
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nice Video....
I think these rules about no fly zones for drones in national parks are absolutely ridicules especially in the states.....don't get me wrong because i'm a nature lover myself and are all for the protection of wild animals and habitat, But in the states its OK to trap shoot nearly everything in sight...including linx, wolf, and bears to name a few but you cant fly a drone! what BS
We also have similar rules in the UK which really is a load of BS also, I'm all for no fly zones near any airports and anyone caught doing so should be harshly dealt with.      
2017-4-2
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Too much movement imho.
2017-4-2
Use props
Cardnick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379931 ft
United States

I hate to say it but PartsGuy's advice isn't terrible.

2017-4-2
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Cardnick Posted at 2017-4-2 14:32

https://youtu.be/q6JvCPvSOpw

That guy never been in court before. The judge will always reduce the fine. I think that's the scam they run to make you feel better. And what he's talking about is called no contest. I used to spend a lot of time in court. You can never win, doesn't matter what you say, but it's always worth going to court for the reduction.
2017-4-2
Use props
Cardnick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379931 ft
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-2 14:50
That guy never been in court before. The judge will always reduce the fine. I think that's the scam they run to make you feel better. And what he's talking about is called no contest. I used to spend a lot of time in court. You can never win, doesn't matter what you say, but it's always worth going to court for the reduction.

Agreed.  But the point is, the NPS is watching for these videos and can take action so it may not be a good idea to post and promote these flights.  Believe me, living in Arizona I would love to fly my Mavic around the Grand Canyon but due to the Laws/Rules I don't get that opportunity.  
2017-4-2
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
United States

Cardnick Posted at 2017-4-2 14:32

https://youtu.be/q6JvCPvSOpw

Having lived in this area for many years, surrounded by Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon and numerous large National Monuments, I have interacted with NPS and other Federal officials several times. At times, some seem to view the public as the enemy. Other times they will let minor things slide with a verbal warning and a reminder that just because you are unaware of the rules and regulations, it doesn't make it any more legal to violate them. I have never been cited because if there is any doubt about a flight I seek out and ask if I can fly or if I can get permission. This was the point of my response to the video posted here. I would not be surprised to see him be cited at a later date. Looking a the video, the only place he didn't need permission is of Springdale, a small community on the western border of Zion. And even then, he flew towards the western park entrance and the Ranger Housing and Interpretative Center was less than 300 Yards from that portion of the video. He seems not to care and that is his right. However, his actions send a poor message about the UAV community and our presence in notable places.
2017-4-2
Use props
Maxheadspace
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Great video!  You are SOOOOO lucky you didn't get caught.  There's a YouTube video of a couple that were detained by the police for flying in the Grand Canyon.  Their drone was confiscated and they got a hefty fine.  Yes, it seems like everything that is perfect for drone video is off limits.  Pretty much assume all state parks ban drones, and we know the National Parks forbid drones.
2017-4-2
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

PartsGuy Posted at 2017-4-2 15:30
Having lived in this area for many years, surrounded by Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon and numerous large National Monuments, I have interacted with NPS and other Federal officials several times. At times, some seem to view the public as the enemy. Other times they will let minor things slide with a verbal warning and a reminder that just because you are unaware of the rules and regulations, it doesn't make it any more legal to violate them. I have never been cited because if there is any doubt about a flight I seek out and ask if I can fly or if I can get permission. This was the point of my response to the video posted here. I would not be surprised to see him be cited at a later date. Looking a the video, the only place he didn't need permission is of Springdale, a small community on the western border of Zion. And even then, he flew towards the western park entrance and the Ranger Housing and Interpretative Center was less than 300 Yards from that portion of the video. He seems not to care and that is his right. However, his actions send a poor message about the UAV community and our presence in notable places.

Please don't tell me I don't care. I wasn't aware is the better term. For example, I went to Las Vegas strip and was in front of the fountain in Bellagio. I was going to fly my drone to take a video but the app showed it's prohibited and needs permission. I didn't fly my drone. This is also a response to the guy that it's not only on airport that the app tells you where not to fly.
Also, FAA or the governing body, whoever makes the laws should look at this to change the laws not to make it more strict but something that will cater for us as well. Again, think about cars where you can drive anywhere. Of course, there will be some places that are off limits like - airports, federal buildings, White House, etc. But national parks shouldn't be included. Trust me, our generations will come and go and these parks will still stand.
2017-4-2
Use props
JH93022
New
United States

This thread is mostly inaccurate information. The FAA specifically states that any state or local jurisdiction only has the authority to restrict takeoff and landings. They cannot govern the airspace.

2023-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules