My DJI repair experience -- not good.
1434 24 2017-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sd603
lvl.2
Flight distance : 274465 ft
United States

My drone is en route back from repair service in California to me in Massachusetts -- by the time I get it will be 5 weeks.  I picked up that their repair service was not good from these forums and I can confirm it is true.  In a nutshell they are very slow and they don't communicate.
1.Website repair status is a joke.  Updated late and infrequently.  Misinformation abounds, e.g. "we received your item and will provide damage assessment in 1 day" -- 5 days later, nothing...

2. Phone service is so backed up, I waited 55" and I called within 20 seconds of when phone lines opened

3. Don't bother sending an email to service, I probably sent a dozen through the course of the repair and they did not respond to one

4.  When my repair was finally done and I got an email stating what they were shipping back, it said drone without props.  Well, the props were trashed and two of the arms were bent so I took them off so I could ship when I sent back.  Joke -- anytime you repair a crash you should replace all props whether they look OK or not

5. I bought DJI care refresh, they ruled crash their defect, so I paid nothing -- that is good.  But I burnt about 10% (5 of 52 weeks) of my coverage period during this repair.  They should automatically extend the refresh, but I saw no indication.  (I will fight them on this)

I loved the drone for the month I had it.  Awesome product, but with service like this DJI will be out of business in time.  Competition is catching up, they aren't the only option anymore.  And if competition actually services their customers...

2017-4-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

'But I burnt about 10% (5 of 52 weeks) of my coverage period during this repair.  They should automatically extend the refresh, but I saw no indication.'

So when you claim loss of car with your car insurance company, they automatically extend the coverage for you for a few extra weeks?

You are so entitled....
2017-4-1
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-1 16:34
'But I burnt about 10% (5 of 52 weeks) of my coverage period during this repair.  They should automatically extend the refresh, but I saw no indication.'

So when you claim loss of car with your car insurance company, they automatically extend the coverage for you for a few extra weeks?

Yay go America!  The land of the free and entitled!  

But OP somewhat has a point.  No one should wait 5 weeks or wait on hold for 55 minutes.  That is extremely long and I can see why he feels the need to be compensated.  What DJI should have done was to replace his quadcopter with a refurbished so the turn around time would have been 1 week rather than 5 weeks.
2017-4-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We're very sorry about it. DJI will expand its call center and improve its service.

Do you have a case number? I'll escalate your case and see if we can extend the DJI Care
2017-4-1
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-1 16:34

Geebax,

When you have a loss with your car insurance company you get a loaner.  You policy covers the loaner -- so you are still getting value while your car is being fixed.  Google "loss of use insurance" and you will see it is standard practice in the insurance business.  (BTW -- I work in the insurance space).

I got no value from my drone for the 5 weeks it was gone.  How about if say it took 3 months?  6 months?  Do you still think DJI customers should just eat the value of their DJI refresh?  DJI had no "crash exposure" on their Refresh plan for 5 weeks.

BTW -- if the drone crashed due to my fault, I would have used Refresh and would have a different view.  The crash was due to DJI's defective product.

2017-4-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

sd603 Posted at 2017-4-3 04:24
Geebax,

When you have a loss with your car insurance company you get a loaner.  You policy covers the loaner -- so you are still getting value while your car is being fixed.  Google "loss of use insurance" and you will see it is standard practice in the insurance business.  (BTW -- I work in the insurance space).

'BTW -- if the drone crashed due to my fault, I would have used Refresh and would have a different view.  The crash was due to DJI's defective product.'

Yes, everyone says that, no-one takes responsibility for the crash. Until you post your flight records for everyone to see, you will understand I remain a skeptic. Oh, and the DJI care plan does not cover you for 'loss of use', so if you are in the industry, you of all people should have picked up on that. Still entitled.
2017-4-3
Use props
CXK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104383 ft
United States

Its an expensive item, pretty expensive warranty for only lasting one year (Why I went with a State Farm plan). I don't think he's being "entitled" I think he's expecting faster service for what is an expensive toy. I also understand these are a high risk toy that people likely break a lot so its understandable the service center and support are quite busy. Hopefully I won't have to experience sending it in for any reason but I'd like to think they can expand and handle the work load better in the future.
2017-4-3
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

CXK Posted at 2017-4-3 14:20
Its an expensive item, pretty expensive warranty for only lasting one year (Why I went with a State Farm plan). I don't think he's being "entitled" I think he's expecting faster service for what is an expensive toy. I also understand these are a high risk toy that people likely break a lot so its understandable the service center and support are quite busy. Hopefully I won't have to experience sending it in for any reason but I'd like to think they can expand and handle the work load better in the future.

I was being sarcastic in response to someone else who said he was being entitled.  There are certain expectations to have a product repaired and 5 weeks is absolutely ridiculous!  This item is not cheap and there is a certain level of service to be expected.  DJI should really look at Apple, Amazon, and other more customer service oriented organizations and make a list as to what is achievable in terms of customer service at the moment and steps needed to be taken in order to bring them in line with higher level of service.
2017-4-3
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
United States

CXK Posted at 2017-4-3 14:20

Is the State Farm coverage an addition / rider to your homeowners?  If so, a claim could make your overall premium go up quite a bit.

I used to be into photography and had maybe 25k of equipment.  I added it to my homeowners.  Subsequently I dropped a $3k lens.  My agent told my insurance premium would go up by the amount of the lens repair for 3 years.  I did not put the claim in...
2017-4-3
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
United States

ibuyufo Posted at 2017-4-3 14:34
I was being sarcastic in response to someone else who said he was being entitled.  There are certain expectations to have a product repaired and 5 weeks is absolutely ridiculous!  This item is not cheap and there is a certain level of service to be expected.  DJI should really look at Apple, Amazon, and other more customer service oriented organizations and make a list as to what is achievable in terms of customer service at the moment and steps needed to be taken in order to bring them in line with higher level of service.

ibuyufo,

Thanks for that.  Honestly the Refresh issue is diminimus relative to the poor and slow service all around.  You noted that 5 weeks is crazy...
2017-4-3
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

sd603 Posted at 2017-4-3 04:24
Geebax,

Hey man,

You should absolutely get what you paid for and are in fact "entitled" to get what you pay for especially if you have Refresh.  They advertise a quick and prioritized turn around and you did not get that.  .  I can say DJI-Thor,  Jamie,  and Mindy are very helpful.  
Thank you for sharing your experience and good luck with your repair!
2017-4-3
Use props
CXK
lvl.1
United States

sd603 Posted at 2017-4-3 14:57
Is the State Farm coverage an addition / rider to your homeowners?  If so, a claim could make your overall premium go up quite a bit.

I used to be into photography and had maybe 25k of equipment.  I added it to my homeowners.  Subsequently I dropped a $3k lens.  My agent told my insurance premium would go up by the amount of the lens repair for 3 years.  I did not put the claim in...

It is a stand alone plan. We use a different company for homeowners insurance. It was $60 for a year, no deductible and covers theft/loss. I was very careful to verify that if I'm out on my jet ski and my wife is filming me from shore and for some reason the drone crashes into the water and is not recoverable it will be covered by the plan. My insurance guy said "it will be covered but do your best not to make it happen of course" lol. I also floated the question of if the drone were to get some sort of interference and take off on its own (again, loss.) would it be covered and he assured me it would.

He also was not aware State Farm covered drones and had to do research first and called back with the good news. I had already used my drone for more than 48 hours and was about to make that ridiculous (but understandable) video showing the drone worked even though I wasn't excited at all about the price  for DJI Care and the fact that it can't be renewed. I found out about State Farm by Googling and finding a thread in this forum. I fly with much less fear now.
2017-4-3
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-3 13:48
'BTW -- if the drone crashed due to my fault, I would have used Refresh and would have a different view.  The crash was due to DJI's defective product.'

Yes, everyone says that, no-one takes responsibility for the crash. Until you post your flight records for everyone to see, you will understand I remain a skeptic. Oh, and the DJI care plan does not cover you for 'loss of use', so if you are in the industry, you of all people should have picked up on that. Still entitled.

Geebax,

1) DJI won't pay / take responsibility until they analyze the flight logs -- they concluded it was their defect

2) I did upload flight logs 5 weeks ago and the forum community concluded it was one of those unexplained crashes
https://forum.dji.com/thread-87035-1-1.html

This is the last time I will honor you with a respectful response, a dignity you have not afforded me.

BTW -- the "loss of use" insurance concept is irrelevant in my specific circumstance, I was mistaken to bring it up.  DJI had no crash exposure for 5 weeks and they should extend my refresh by 5 weeks.  Refer to my loaner car example.
2017-4-3
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
United States

CXK Posted at 2017-4-3 15:06
It is a stand alone plan. We use a different company for homeowners insurance. It was $60 for a year, no deductible and covers theft/loss. I was very careful to verify that if I'm out on my jet ski and my wife is filming me from shore and for some reason the drone crashes into the water and is not recoverable it will be covered by the plan. My insurance guy said "it will be covered but do your best not to make it happen of course" lol. I also floated the question of if the drone were to get some sort of interference and take off on its own (again, loss.) would it be covered and he assured me it would.

He also was not aware State Farm covered drones and had to do research first and called back with the good news. I had already used my drone for more than 48 hours and was about to make that ridiculous (but understandable) video showing the drone worked even though I wasn't excited at all about the price  for DJI Care and the fact that it can't be renewed. I found out about State Farm by Googling and finding a thread in this forum. I fly with much less fear now.

CXK, great info.  I will be looking into it.  One very important difference with Refresh is that State Farm pays if drone is lost, Refresh does not.

I fly over my lake a lot and have been concerned with crashing into lake and not being able to recover.  I put one of those fishing rod retriever things that get activated when wet and floats a line to the surface on a leg of the drone.  
2017-4-3
Use props
CXK
lvl.1
United States

sd603 Posted at 2017-4-3 15:16
CXK, great info.  I will be looking into it.  One very important difference with Refresh is that State Farm pays if drone is lost, Refresh does not.

I fly over my lake a lot and have been concerned with crashing into lake and not being able to recover.  I put one of those fishing rod retriever things that get activated when wet and floats a line to the surface on a leg of the drone.

That was my biggest concern. I was very pleased to hear the cover loss.
2017-4-3
Use props
fanse3d23e2a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4321969 ft
United States

Same thing happened to me. I bought mine new for a kid's birthday from the DJI Store on Jan. 22, 2017 and it didn't work out of the box. Never got to use it and was advised to send it CA for repair and I still don't have it on April 4th. I should have been sent a replacement and not put in queue for a repair. Also called and emailed many, many, many times to no avail. Was promised a priority that never occurred. This is the worst service I have ever received on any technical device.
2017-4-4
Use props
fanse3d23e2a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4321969 ft
United States

fanse3d23e2a Posted at 2017-4-4 02:27
Same thing happened to me. I bought mine new for a kid's birthday from the DJI Store on Jan. 22, 2017 and it didn't work out of the box. Never got to use it and was advised to send it CA for repair and I still don't have it on April 4th. I should have been sent a replacement and not put in queue for a repair. Also called and emailed many, many, many times to no avail. Was promised a priority that never occurred. This is the worst service I have ever received on any technical device.

Finally, after close to 3 months I received a tracking number with the Phantom 3 Std being returned on April 13, 2017.  I pray that it is fully fundtional as the last Phantom 3 that I damaged myself and had to send in for repair had to sent back again. There is no doubt that DJI needs to direct attention to it's repair facility as well it's policy with new store purchases.  I should not have been directed to the repair facility when my new drone was not functional but should have received a replacement immediately.  That is what just about every other retailer does in this situation.  
2017-4-5
Use props
fansa6ad34fd
New

United States

Opted for DJI repair. Loaded bird in its original box and shipped it to DJI using provided UPS shipping label. Tracking number has it at the terminus location April 4th. No update in "case" history line.  Only a message that indicates termination of case number after 30 days and wait up to 24 hours for case to update for "unpacking". I see here in this forum where there appears to be forum Captains, Chiefs and other helpful knowledgeable people. To you folks I say, What are the options?
2017-4-9
Use props
Drone Flights S
lvl.2
Flight distance : 223684 ft
Sweden

Yeah, the European repair staff seem to be on vacation as well ..  It would be cool if an DJI person could check my repair.  :-)  Thanks!
2017-4-10
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
United States

My personal saga continues -- unfortunately...

So after 5 weeks, I get replacement / repaired unit back.  This weekend I set it up.  Sync to controller, refresh firmware, calibrate, ... I then fly the new drone -- and proceed to lose it on it's very first flight.  I was within 50 feet of it when it started doing it's own thing.  I believe it went into ATTI mode, but I'm not sure (I am sure I did not switch to ATTI mode).  It took off and did not respond to RTH (which was turned on in remote).  I went to last GPS location and searched the wooded area for over an hour with my son before giving up.  

Well, the story actually turns positive from there.  Later that day a guy drives to my house with drone in hand.  He said it hovered near his house for 20" and then simply crashed.  VERY nice of him to return it to me!  One leg and a prop broken, but everything works.  I taped up leg, checked everything and recalibrated and flew it the next day.  Just a short flight and it all seemed fine. I am afraid to fly it longer until I find out what went wrong.

I've been trying to upload logs, but keep getting an error (I started a separate thread in general support on that issue).Thor -- can you send me new legs for the replacement drone?
2017-4-10
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

sd603 Posted at 2017-4-10 06:42
My personal saga continues -- unfortunately...

So after 5 weeks, I get replacement / repaired unit back.  This weekend I set it up.  Sync to controller, refresh firmware, calibrate, ...  I then fly the new drone -- and proceed to lose it on it's very first flight.  I was within 50 feet of it when it started doing it's own thing.  I believe it went into ATTI mode, but I'm not sure (I am sure I did not switch to ATTI mode).  It took off and did not respond to RTH (which was turned on in remote).  I went to last GPS location and searched the wooded area for over an hour with my son before giving up.  

Hi, please try syncing the flight log again. My colleague will contact you.  DJI doesn't send repair parts to customers though. We'll have a proper solution for you.
2017-4-10
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-4-10 19:52
Hi, please try syncing the flight log again. My colleague will contact you.  DJI doesn't send repair parts to customers though. We'll have a proper solution for you.

Thor I have the DAT files from the drone and I emailed them to support@dji.com yesterday.
2017-4-12
Use props
piee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10689 ft
United States

What doe I need to send to DJi for repair of broken leg and fuselage due to crash, RC,Battery,neither, just the P4P
2017-5-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

piee Posted at 2017-5-8 12:11
What doe I need to send to DJi for repair of broken leg and fuselage due to crash, RC,Battery,neither, just the P4P

Sorry to hear about the crash, if there is no any issue for remote and battery, then you can send in the aircraft only.
Just to verify, did you get a case number? if no, please submit online here: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2017-5-9
Use props
piee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10689 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-9 23:32
Sorry to hear about the crash, if there is no any issue for remote and battery, then you can send in the aircraft only.
Just to verify, did you get a case number? if no, please submit online here: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

Thanks for reply, yes I did get a label printed out for return, I ended up buying landing gear and middle shell, and repaired myself, took 1 wk for parts and repair, It flys perfect, video perfect, had to bend front vision sensors back to fit holes in middle shell, compass 1 (L. leg) seams to be still disconnected, #2 compass fine, I tried just plugging compass ribbon cable into unattached L. Leg just to see if maybe work but no, it may just turn on, but #2 solid so seems good, will be cautious, I paid $100 for parts, not sure what DJI would have done Ive heard people getting new drone replacement for $268 repairs, but very happy with this one and just figured Id fix as it all worked fine after crash.
2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules