700 5 2017-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3809 ft
Canada

Hi All.

In terms of The new laws (current & interim), could someone help "define" what a "drone" is?

Please include your definition and source of definition. Clearly a definition on wiki or other non official sources are not as valid as say the Transport Canada (TC) site.

I.e

SOURCE: Transport Canada, April 1, 2017 - Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft

DEFINITION: model aircraft means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures. (modèle réduit d’aéronef)

DEFINITION: unmanned air vehicle means a power-driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft, that is designed to fly without a human operator on board. (véhicule  aérien  non  habité)

I am trying to validate where a Drone fits into which category.

Thanks in Advance.
2017-4-1
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It falls under both definitions
2017-4-1
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Can't be sure about Canadian legislature - but in all other parts of the world that I've researched it goes like this:

- model aircraft - flying for fun not business,

- UAV - flying for business.

That's the only thing that normally pops up. Try to focus your research via this concept and you should be closer to the reality, hopefully. As I said - can't confirm but that's how it mostly is elsewhere.

Happy research ;-)
2017-4-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Drones can be many things and and can vary hugely in weight and size,

While you are talking about a drone being something like a Mavic phantom inspire, these are now known in most country's as UMA or SUA's Quadcopters , referring to them as drones as we know them does nothing to enhance their reputation, we all originally know drones as spy craft or small bombing aircraft, so from the get go drones were to be feared in our own minds.

My thinking on SUA's is this that if the have one or more substantial parts, then there needs to be some regulation when flying them around the sky, regarding them carrying cameras this falls under the data protection, which also means that regulation is already in force and if is not sufficient then more regulations will need to be added.

I know many will think that the Mavic does not have any substantial parts so I would ask the question if you dropped it from 20 feet onto someone's head, what damage could you do, and the answer is yes it does have a substantial part. It can also fly great distances and great height, so it is not a toy but a proper aircraft which if not controlled can cause damage to others and also poses a risk to other aircraft, so legislation needs to be enforced for the safety of all.

Regarding Canadian laws , they are simply ill thought up and draconian, Regarding properly the definition of drones I don't believe anyone has come up a definition that covers all equally,

There is a world body for safety in aviation ICAO this body sets down the parameters for safety in aviation they have decided that SUA's are aircraft and need to be governed by aviation rules of safety, all governments and countries aviation authorities take the lead from this ICAO, and although as of now they have not come up with a proper set of recommendations for flying SUA's, it is very much on their agenda, and I'm sure this will happen soon.
2017-4-2
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

From the FAA (United States) web site: "An unmanned aircraft system (UAS), sometimes called a drone, is an aircraft without a human pilot onboard – instead, the UAS is controlled from an operator on the ground."
2017-4-2
Use props
Mustang1993
lvl.2

Canada

A drone is any remotely operated vehicle.  As per TC current laws anything that flies under power without a pilot on board that weighs from 250 grams to 35 kilograms would be considered a Drone or Model Aircraft as long as you are using it for RECREATIONAL purposes.  If you are flying anything remotely where you are making $$$$$ then you are considered an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle or UAV.

The following website gives you all the information you need.   https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaro ... model-aircraft.html
2017-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules