Rain Sleeve for Phantom?
2304 9 2015-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

I'm thinking something like a shower cap over the body, with holes for the motors (spinning props outta keep most water clear of motors? Or I guess it would push water into them, in which case, this is a pointless question).

Then another sleeve for gimbal and camera, with lens exposed as on a regular camera.

I will be getting to see some pretty dramatic waterfalls in the mountains this spring, and am hoping to get some shots, but want to protect my quad should I be able to use it.

I've seen the treatments for the plastic, but not sure if it protects motors and exposed gimbal ribbon cable and the swivel joints of the gimbal.

Thanks!
J
2015-2-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i would think you could get pretty good footage while still staying far enough away from spray without protection... however, the idea you are suggesting seems difficult to pull off.  in fact, if you are only covering up the shell (since there would then be holes for the vents and holes for the motors, etc) then basically you are putting a raincoat on the shell, which itself doesnt really need the protection, the internal components (via the vents) and the motors would be the things that dont like water.  my shell seems pretty tight fit.   

now as far as the camera, same difficulties, i dont know if you can figure a way out to encapsulate the whole gimbal and camera without impairing motion.

in your situation, i would probably try and get good shots from a safer distance without modding.  it always seems to me that videos seem to appear closer than it looked when i was filming it anyhow, but thats just me.  others may have some better suggestions.
2015-2-27
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-28 13:02
i would think you could get pretty good footage while still staying far enough away from spray witho ...

Yeah, I can definitely get safe shots from a distance, hoping for some shots up the fall itself from closer. Won't do it if I risk shorting something out though.

Think I could protect the vents well enough with a rain guard type shield that lets air still flow, but shields the vents from direct water going in from top or bottom.

I've managed to get the gimbal taken care of so far (I'll post pix later), now I just have to see if I can cover the camera with another piece of plastic without compromising the swivel points. A gopro would be very handy for this part!

Main concern with bag over gimbal (other than swivel points) is if it will create a 'sail' effect with wind. I'll be testing at low level flights when weather clears up a bit.
2015-2-27
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

How do you plan to keep the water mist/droplets off of the camera lens?

Some time back the television cameras in NASCAR victory lane were fitted with spinning lens covers to throw the celebratory juices off.  But that did not last long, and they are back to a a brief cutaway shot and towel.
2015-2-28
Use props
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I too would love to be able to fly in rain, near surf etc.

If the shell is waterproof then that means there are only certain elements to have to worry about.

1. Motors - A silicon skin with an anti-friction coated hole for the prop/spindle.

2. Vents - A simple cowl that vents downwards would be enough, couple this with a filter and that should see the vents still being capable of venting while raindrops/fine mist is caught by the filter.

3. Lens - A glass hood that is coated in Rain-X would eliminate any worries about mist/droplets on the lens.
2015-2-28
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Isn't that like wrapping a plastic tarp around your car's radiator? I don't know if it would be a good idea, no flow of cooling air.
2015-3-1
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Never try this but I would also concern the cooling problem.
2015-3-1
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

Check this stuff out -   Liquidpel

also this might work...

http://www.neverwet.com
2015-3-2
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

Covering the motors would probably result in overheating.  The motors are not typically short term failure point s for water.
The don't short out or have any active components.  The issue would be the bearings and rust if not thoroughly dried.  You can see videos of the motors working under water.  
The internal phantom electronics and the gimbal electronics are the issue.  Water could accumulate inside the Phantom through the vents.  A cover that allows airflow might work here.  But the gimbal is still very exposed and water will damage the electronics used to control the gimbal and the camera has opening as well that could allow water to damage the internals. Some of the waterproof coating for RC could work but this would require opening the gimbal for proper application and this is a very delicate and critical job.  Would also void warranty but if you need it...
2015-3-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Maybe what we need is a virtual closed shell with openings under the motors and a nice light aluminum heat sink mounted to the top and liquid cooling for the rest of the electronics.
2015-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules