Shutting down after flight
2298 18 2017-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donald72
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

I wonder if anyone else gets a case of the "wllies" after they've flown their I2, landed, and watched their aircraft squirrel about as the motors revved (because the motor did not immediately shut down) when they've moved the control sticks down and in.
Seems like the aircraft cannot decide whether it is being told to "manuever" or to shut down.  I've had to hurriedly send it back up in the air to keep it from flipping over - more than once - and I've already had a warranty repair of the aircraft when it actually did flip over and do some damage.

For the life of me, I cannot figure what I'd be doing wrong.  Nice, soft landing - both sticks down and inward.  Seems simple enough.

It flies wonderfully with no noticeable control issues when it's in the air.  Should I be waiting longer after touchdown to move the control sticks downward and inward?

I'm baffled.

When I sent it in for repair I also sent the radio controller and a lengthy explanation of the aircraft behavior, wondering if the problem could be in the controller.  When the product returned there was no explanation as to a cause; and no suggestions.
2017-4-2
Use props
Viper Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

Your causing the problem.  Just move one control stick (the left one) down and hold it there for a second or so and all 4 motors will shut off. When you move both sticks down and toward each other your not very coordinated and are introducing some yaw for a short bit plus some throttle.  Just move the left stick down and hold it there till the motors stop.
2017-4-2
Use props
Donald72
lvl.4
United States

Viper Pilot Posted at 2017-4-2 14:14
Your causing the problem.  Just move one control stick (the left one) down and hold it there for a second or so and all 4 motors will shut off. When you move both sticks down and toward each other your not very coordinated and are introducing some yaw for a short bit plus some throttle.  Just move the left stick down and hold it there till the motors stop.

THANK YOU. That's what I wanted top know.  All the information I've had so far has been to move BOTH sticks downward and inward.
2017-4-2
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Yeah Like Viper said just use the left stick only to stop motors when landing.
2017-4-2
Use props
Viper Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

The motors will stop when you also move both sticks down and toward each other however it's more difficult to do that in a coordinated fashion, at least for me!
2017-4-2
Use props
pritchiedotcom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

I did the same thing on my 3rd flight with my new Phantom 4 pro doing CSC (down and in).  Luckily I only managed to cut the grass and everything was okay.  Since then I now only use the continued throttle down to shut down the motors (not sure if I2 has this).  This I believe is the safest way to do it on landing.  All the best.
2017-4-2
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

Yes, the I2 has this and I agree that this is the method to use (left stick straight down for a few seconds). I tried the CSC once with my first DJI drone, a P3P, and never tried that again. I didn't do any damage but it was close and I could tell that method was a train wreck waiting to happen.
2017-4-2
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Viper Pilot Posted at 2017-4-2 14:50
The motors will stop when you also move both sticks down and toward each other however it's more difficult to do that in a coordinated fashion, at least for me!

Landing is not sufficient, you must shut down the motors.

I recommend you learn to  do the single left stick motor shut down procedure.  Why?

When you get more advanced and want to do a hand catch, that is what you can do. Yeah the inspire 2 is pretty heavy but and catching is the way to go if your takeoff area is sandy, you are on a boat or near tall grass or... whatever.
2017-4-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It's always recommended to just push down the left stick. I've seen a few cases of landing with CSC and it flips over
2017-4-2
Use props
ROTOROPTIC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 598031 ft
Canada

Lol.....I did that with my I2 to see if it would work. Normally I used left stick only. When I tried the dual stick outward it tipped backward and did a complete 360 yaw to the left, rear props flicking the sand.........kind of cool
2017-4-3
Use props
Donald72
lvl.4
United States

Well, I'm shutting down w/ just the left stick and everything is groovy. Now that I think about it, it was several YouTubes that I watched (before buying the I2) that referenced shutting down the motors by bringing both control sticks downward and inward - and that seemed to work just fine when there were no props on the aircraft and I was just getting acquainted with the app/radio/aircraft at my kitchen table.  Different story outdoors with the props spinning!!

I appreciate all the feedback.
2017-4-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Donald72 Posted at 2017-4-2 14:18
THANK YOU. That's what I wanted top know.  All the information I've had so far has been to move BOTH sticks downward and inward.

You would only really need to do the CSC command in an emergency situations to try and minimize the damage of an impending crash.
2017-4-4
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

I assume that if you are at height (flying @ say 50m up etc.) and you hold the left stick down to fast descend that the I2 will know not to cut the motors in the air??  It will only cut the motors when it is on the ground / landed??
2017-4-5
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-4-5 02:59
I assume that if you are at height (flying @ say 50m up etc.) and you hold the left stick down to fast descend that the I2 will know not to cut the motors in the air??  It will only cut the motors when it is on the ground / landed??

The inspire checks to see if it is still descending before cutting the motors.  So basically when you are on the ground, and you hold down the left stick, the inspire will first try to descend, if the sensors see no change in altitude then it will shut down the motors, knowing its on the ground.

2017-4-5
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

MadFrenchie Posted at 2017-4-5 06:11
The inspire checks to see if it is still descending before cutting the motors.  So basically when you are on the ground, and you hold down the left stick, the inspire will first try to descend, if the sensors see no change in altitude then it will shut down the motors, knowing its on the ground.

Thank you!
2017-4-5
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-4-2 23:42
It's always recommended to just push down the left stick. I've seen a few cases of landing with CSC and it flips over

That happened with me on an Inspire 1 two years back. I was on a beach and sand got into the motors
So yes, great reminder!!!!
2017-4-5
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-4-5 02:59

Yes, this is correct and this feature was arrived at considering usage patterns expressed on this forum and  with beta testers.

Which is why Thor advises to save the CSC for tale offs and emergencies only once in flight.
2017-4-5
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

For what it's worth, I OWE DJI AN APOLOGY for writing a bad review of my experience with the repair. As I think back on it, i the cause of the crash - not the aircraft, as I originally thought. Knowing what I now know, I shouldn't have been annoyed because they didn't replace the broken props and I received the repaired aircraft in less than 2 weeks. That service was MUCH better than what I've seen reported elsewhere on this forum.  DJI - I'm sorry and I thank you.
2017-6-12
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

I'll second that.

There's far too much bad press about DJI having negative CS reviews. Maybe I've been lucky but the guys in the Netherlands who deal with DJI Europe have always been really responsive, polite and generally helpful.

Keep up the good work!
2017-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules