Mavic Malfunction - Crash
1314 10 2017-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Markyd_4
lvl.1

Canada

I've had my Mavic since January 1st. When I first received it and opened it I noticed that the gimbal guard glass was cracked and the gimbal out of place.  A quick YouTube video showed me how to put it back in place.

Yesterday I was out flying and I was approximately 500 meters away when I lost signal. When the signal resumed I found myself looking upside crashed into a building. The lost of signal triggered the RTH and although my RTH was set to 120m it decided to come straight back at 30m and crashed into a building. The obstacle avoidance sensors also didn't kick in to stop the crash.

The drone is now sitting on the roof that the maintenance guy doesn't have access to. It's permanently gone.

I've had many DJI products and have never seen failure like this.

Am I s**t out of luck or can support do anything for me?

Please HELP!
2017-4-2
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

First off...sorry for the issue.  Second, you got to get that back, because DJI will want it if it is a manufacturer error.  We're there is a will, there is a way...get it back.
Upload your flight logs from the Go app, contact DJI and see what they want exactly.

Good luck.
2017-4-2
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

How tall is this building? Go rent a bucket truck. I'm sure it would be cheaper than $1k
2017-4-2
Use props
Markyd_4
lvl.1

Canada

It's located on a bubble roof that requires special rigging equipment to get to.
IMG_4334.PNG
2017-4-2
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Honestly I soon as I saw this "the gimbal guard glass was cracked and the gimbal out of place" I would have contacted DJI..you will definitely need upload your logs for further review.
2017-4-2
Use props
out2sea71
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

It is interesting that you explained your crash with your RTH height.  I have been flying not as long as you but there have been a couple of updates to the DJI Go ap.  My first flights were very benign and I used RTH all of the time and the forward looking sensors stopped the drone and averted away from all obstacles.  The last flight I had before my crash was similar to yours in the fact that I used RTH but the forward sensors did nothing with the obstacles and I plowed into a sycamore tree.  I hope DJI looks into this closely and we as flyers have to be extremely diligent with our flying.
2017-4-2
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

It sounds like you did not check all the settings after a firmware update. The default RTH height is 30mts and may have been reset.. I also think the default setting is to have OA set to off after a firmware update. Were you still LOS?
2017-4-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The OA during RTH was set to Off by default, you need to manually turn it on.
2017-4-2
Use props
Markyd_4
lvl.1

Canada

Would DJI sell me just the drone? Or would get stuck buying a whole new set with controller?
2017-4-4
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Markyd_4 Posted at 2017-4-4 20:33
Would DJI sell me just the drone? Or would get stuck buying a whole new set with controller?

You can buy a mavic by itself:

http://store.dji.com/product/mav ... charger#/?_k=c2cykp
2017-4-4
Use props
Yngveny
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246864 ft
Singapore

Would really like to see the flightlog for this chrash That roof seems to have a lot of wires holding it up, this could easily cause a crash...
2017-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules