Gimbal tilt
2830 19 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

Since using the DJI GO 4 App I've had bad gimbal tilt issues.
Have updated everything to latest versions. Done multiple IMU, Compass and Gimbal calibrations all in different places. Just cannot get the Gimbal to behave like it used to. I've never had the tilt issue until DJI moved to the GO4 app.

I hope the upcoming firmware will help with this. I'm getting fed up having to manually change the gimbal tilt almost constantly during flights.

Anyone elses noticing degrade in Gimbal performance since the change to GO 4
2017-4-3
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you use your Phantom 4 with the older Go app before Go 4 was available, or are you comparing to your experience with the Phantom 3? Just curious whether the issue is the app or the quad.
2017-4-3
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

this has been an issue the last 3 years tho across all models.
2017-4-3
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

My gimbal is also often tilted. I would recommend the following:

1. Calibrate it before every flight (not sure if that helps, but I saw that recommended and started doing that since day 1, doesn't hurt anyway!!)
2. Don't be very extreme/sudden in your movements; I know our Phantom is a nice flying machine and we all like to enjoy high speed acrobatics, however when your objective is to shoot video, being calm is your best chance of achieving smooth footage. In my experience, when I'm calm in my manouvres, gimbal proves to be much more reliable.
3. Be patient; right after a turn, chances are your gimbal will be initially not horizontal. After 5-10 seconds, in my case it usually gets where its supposed to.

I know that following the above is not exactly ideal, but it's a workaround, in my opinion better than manually adjusting it every 5 minutes.
2017-4-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please provide some images or videos of the tilt issue?
Since you are saying that the issue only happened when using DJI GO 4 app.
Did you try to use the previous DJI GO app to test again?
2017-4-4
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Guernsey

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-3 12:10
Did you use your Phantom 4 with the older Go app before Go 4 was available, or are you comparing to your experience with the Phantom 3? Just curious whether the issue is the app or the quad.

Yes did use it with the prior GO App and it was very well behaved.
Even with GO 4 until the recent spurt of updates it behaved just recently its been tilting much more than expected. Even at times if you watch carefully the image appears to slowly move.
2017-4-5
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Guernsey

Quick video showing Gimbal Tilt.

If wont show wait for you tube to process file.

2017-4-5
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-4-5 13:29
Yes did use it with the prior GO App and it was very well behaved.
Even with GO 4 until the recent spurt of updates it behaved just recently its been tilting much more than expected. Even at times if you watch carefully the image appears to slowly move.

I have not experienced tilt but I do get a (very slow but definitely noticeable) drift almost all the time with mine.
2017-4-5
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

I had the horizon tilt, I done only a VPS calibration and tilt went away, it came back again on the next fly a week later, I then done an IMU and gimbal calibration and then flew 4 batteries with no problem with tilt, I will have another fly again tomorrow weather permitting and let you all know what it's like
2017-4-6
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

We went to the moon, and nobody is able to fix this old issue that we already saw in the P3 series ?                                                                                                                                                                            What are programmers and engineers doing?
2017-4-6
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Tilted Horizon is THE MAYOR PROBLEM of Phantoms.

I sent my P4P to DJI a few days ago due to this matter. Curious if they can fix it.
Got another P4P through Amazon for the time being.
Great thing with them:
No need to go through a DJI 'repair' process which takes months and usually has no effect according to replies of users.

Today was my 1st flight with the new AC, see result below.
I will send it back. And will continue to do so until I have one that's working. Or until Amazon will refuse me to do so.

'Moderators'  keep asking us over and over if we did all calibrations, then they ask us to upload flight logs.
Next reaction is that they have forwarded the info to their engineers. From then on: Silence.

Fact is:
There has been no statement of DJI to this problem which has been addressed in hundreds of threads through drone forums.

Is it a camera/gimbal/firmware/app problem?
Obviously DJI can't admit it. It would be a confession that they are selling faulty drones by the million.
Maybe it'll be fixed with next generation? All current owners wil be fu**** of course.

DJI assumes all of us will happily purchase next generation.
Meanwhile they try to keep customers calm with constant movie editor updates.

Could anyone send a dictionary to DJI please?
A dictionary that translates the term "customer satisfaction" into Chinese??

tilt.jpg
2017-4-6
Use props
lienbacher
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1068337 ft
Austria

I'm experiencing gimbal tilt as well. It is very easily described. If I hold the phantom in my hand and tilt it slightly to the right, the gimbal will slowly but certainly follow. I talked to DJI FB-chat a while ago, and I got the best response ever: "But the drone will never be in this attitude in flight". Well, if theres wind from the side, the gimbal tilts into the wind. Everytime. Always. I did not have it in the very beginning, but after I calibrated everything it never went away again ...
2017-4-7
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3591102 ft
United States

Same problem here with both a P3P and P4P, to compensate I either adjust the gimbal tilt during flight or in post, neither is a good solution but I have zero confidence DJI will fix it.  I think it's likely that it's either very low priority for them or it's a problem they can't fix, either way the right thing to do would be to address it instead of stonewalling.  I wonder if it's only the Phantom line that has this problem?
2017-4-7
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Guernsey

I never had it from the start either.
And yes seems after calibration it has produced the problem. Im wondering if resetting to defaults with Assistant and no calibrating might sort it out. However your supposed to calibrate after doing that.
Maybe the gimbal gets worn in and loses some tolerance after a while. Might look to see if there is a way to tighten anything slightly without overloading the gimbal.
Maybe climate change has made our horizons tilted and the Phantom is actually level

2017-4-8
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Guernsey

Just done some testing of the Gimbal calibration.
It seems the gimbal panning is affected by the compass calibration. When I moved my Phantom towards metal objects the Gimbal had a hard time finding the centre.
So maybe the tilts we are experiencing are related to both IMU and Compass.
I am gong to perform an extensive and dead level calibration out in the field well away from anything that can cause interference. And report my findings.
2017-4-8
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Just an update from a previous post I put up, I have flown 8 batteries worth of flying in last few days and tilt problem has of yet not come back.
2017-4-9
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

Do you know the shortcut to adjust the tilt?
2017-4-9
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

jonathanp Posted at 2017-4-9 03:34
Do you know the shortcut to adjust the tilt?

Hold c2 down then use the right hand wheel and you can adjust tilt if you didn't take off on a level surface.
2017-4-9
Use props
Helimage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144140 ft
Finland

Adjusting the gimbal tilt mid-flight is useless when the horizon is swaying all the time, and that's how it goes most of the time.
2017-4-9
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2017-4-6 11:22
I had the horizon tilt, I done only a VPS calibration and tilt went away, it came back again on the next fly a week later, I then done an IMU and gimbal calibration and then flew 4 batteries with no problem with tilt, I will have another fly again tomorrow weather permitting and let you all know what it's like

" I then done an IMU and gimbal calibration"
Did you do the calibration in that order? This order is recommended by DJI I think.
Sounds like you succeeded on this. Hopefully it will stay! Good Luck!

2017-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules