Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Charging P4P batteries on inverter?
4622 13 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CXK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104383 ft
United States

My car has a 125 watt max cigarette lighter port and we have an inverter capable of 150 watts. I've been trying to figure out if I can charge my P4P batteries on it without popping the fuse. Anyone tried it or know how much power the charger uses? Thanks
2017-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I would not worry about it, the charger is rated at 100 watts, and the inverter will most likely shut down if you try to overload it. Normally I would aim for a 300 Watt inverter, 150 Watts is a touch on the light side.
2017-4-3
Use props
CXK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104383 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-3 14:16
I would not worry about it, the charger is rated at 100 watts, and the inverter will most likely shut down if you try to overload it. Normally I would aim for a 300 Watt inverter, 150 Watts is a touch on the light side.

I think I'll give it a go. I would put a better inverter in wired to the battery but were considering a new vehicle soon anyway. The 4Runner is looking very appealing with its 400 watt outlet in the back. Especially since my wife and I car camp just about anywhere we go, normally we could just charge small devices from portable batteries but these phantom batteries are monsters lol.
2017-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

CXK Posted at 2017-4-3 14:22
I think I'll give it a go. I would put a better inverter in wired to the battery but were considering a new vehicle soon anyway. The 4Runner is looking very appealing with its 400 watt outlet in the back. Especially since my wife and I car camp just about anywhere we go, normally we could just charge small devices from portable batteries but these phantom batteries are monsters lol.

It is worth a try.
2017-4-3
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

As long as you don't charge battery and controller at the same time then you only need about 80W.

I don't know if you need a "Pure sine wave" inverter rather than one of the cheap ones?  Some switch mode power supplies/chargers die if you don't use a proper "Pure sine wave" inverter.

Don't charge too many batteries without charging the car battery, those Phantom batteries will take quite a lot of power.
2017-4-3
Use props
Aerial Gopher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331906 ft
Canada

I don't know if my set up will work on P4 batteries, but you can extrapolate the power required and capacity to see how many times you can charge them with the idea.  Remember my set up was for a Mavic.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-90801-1-1.html
2017-4-17
Use props
Capo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

Have you checked the car adapter option? I have one, it didn't cost much and works perfectly.
2017-4-19
Use props
Glidenhover
lvl.3
Flight distance : 219275 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I realize this is an old post but I want to add that my car has a 120 Watt cigarette lighter and I have successfully charged my P3Prof batteries a few dozen times from it using a 400 Watt inverter [ actually the 1st inv. maybe was 150 watts ] from Canadian tire  but I fried two inverters and had to replace my 180 Watt 12 volt AC Outlet in my Honda Civic.  That being said, now that it is replaced, I will probably buy a new inverter and try charging the P4Adv this way.  Fingers crossed .
2019-4-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Glidenhover Posted at 4-10 11:34
I realize this is an old post but I want to add that my car has a 120 Watt cigarette lighter and I have successfully charged my P3Prof batteries a few dozen times from it using a 400 Watt inverter [ actually the 1st inv. maybe was 150 watts  ] from Canadian tire  but I fried two inverters and had to replace my 180 Watt 12 volt AC Outlet in my Honda Civic.  That being said, now that it is replaced, I will probably buy a new inverter and try charging the P4Adv this way.  Fingers crossed .

If you replace the inverter, make sure to get a 'pure sine wave' model, otherwise you will have trouble.
2019-4-10
Use props
Leks056
lvl.1
Flight distance : 486476 ft
Russia

I use 400watt inverter with cigarette lighter outlet, charger for p4pro, and 3-in-1 charging dock for batteries. Charging well. Nowhere written like "pure sine wave", works good.
Early, I tried to use step-up converter - not so good, need to control output voltage, poor schematics. I decided that inverter is the best, + it have wide using options in your car, not only for Phantom or Mavic charging (i have both). Good luck, soft landings!
2019-4-10
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

I have a car charger and use it regularly to charge the drone & RC batteries as once........  no drama so far
PS:  It is a 10A outlet (12v/120W)
2019-4-11
Use props
AzMountainMan
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-10 13:52
If you replace the inverter, make sure to get a 'pure sine wave' model, otherwise you will have trouble.

For what is worth: it’s not in a car, but I power my cabin with a ‘modified sine wave’ Inverter and regularly charge controller and batteries with no problems.
2019-4-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AzMountainMan Posted at 4-11 07:39
For what is worth: it’s not in a car, but I power my cabin with a ‘modified sine wave’ Inverter and regularly charge controller and batteries with no problems.

OK, the problem comes with crude square wave inverters, because the DJI charger is a switch-mode power supply and hates square waves.
2019-4-11
Use props
AzMountainMan
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-11 13:11
OK, the problem comes with crude square wave inverters, because the DJI charger is a switch-mode power supply and hates square waves.

You are correct. Square wave inverters melt battery chargers. Not sure you can even buy one any more?
2019-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules