Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P3 4K Camera resolution, clarity
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mp-in-pa
New
Flight distance : 33839 ft
United States

Hi.
First off, I don't have an expectation that the Phantom 3 4K camera will perform like a DSLR. I do expect it to perform as well as or better than a lower resolution jpg cell phone photo when you consider the sensor size, lens, etc.
On the Phantom, I took a photo with the following settings: ISO 100 (the minimum), RAW, color balanced for sunny day. I exposed the image using the histogram to assure proper exposure for the ISO setting. Additionally, I took photos from approximately the same position, time of day, and lighting conditions with my iPhone 6.
First off, the Phantom photo lacks details and is quite noisy, including color noise. There is a lot of chromatic aberration which I can pull out in Photoshop. The photo lacks detail. The iPhone beats it hands down.
I'd love to post of the DNG file and corresponding iPhone jpg file. Can't seem to get it to upload.

Am I configured improperly and, if so, what changes do I need to make? Is there something wrong with the camera?
I'd like to get the most out of the camera and don't feel like I am so far.
Any guidance is appreciated.

2017-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You say you shot in RAW, then compare it to an iPhone shot, hardly a fair comparison. Since the iPhone cannot shoot RAW, then try doing both in JPG. You also say you set colour balance for a sunny day, but in RAW the camera does not apply a balance for colour temperature, nor does it make any corrections for chromatic aberration or add any sharpening. RAW needs a lot of work in post to get the best out of the photo.
2017-4-3
Use props
mp-in-pa
New
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-3 15:56
You say you shot in RAW, then compare it to an iPhone shot, hardly a fair comparison. Since the iPhone cannot shoot RAW, then try doing both in JPG. You also say you set colour balance for a sunny day, but in RAW the camera does not apply a balance for colour temperature, nor does it make any corrections for chromatic aberration or add any sharpening. RAW needs a lot of work in post to get the best out of the photo.

Thanks for the feedback.
You are correct. I'd expect the RAW to outperform the JPG in terms of detail and noise. Not even close. The iPhone beat it hands down. I'll give Jpeg a try on the Phantom and see what happens.
2017-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mp-in-pa Posted at 2017-4-3 16:00
Thanks for the feedback.
You are correct. I'd expect the RAW to outperform the JPG in terms of detail and noise. Not even close. The iPhone beat it hands down. I'll give Jpeg a try on the Phantom and see what happens.

A RAW image does not have any detail or sharpening added, nor any noise reduction. Unless you really work on it, RAW will not look better.
2017-4-3
Use props
Beezzzzy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 280522 ft
United States

Don't shoot in RAW unless you're planning on editing. Raw gives you the best options to edit with. Jpeg if you want a shot without editing.
2017-4-3
Use props
mp-in-pa
New
United States

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It turns out the camera was defective. I returned it to DJI and they replaced the camera/gimbal assembly. It seems much better now.
2017-4-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

mp-in-pa Posted at 2017-4-27 13:36
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It turns out the camera was defective. I returned it to DJI and they replaced the camera/gimbal assembly. It seems much better now.

Good to hear you were able to get it sorted.
2017-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules