Unexpected RTH
642 7 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SteveIves
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57448 ft
United States

I have just a few days of experience with my P4P and so far my flights have been short, low, slow and close by. I've been trying to take it slow and develop a a good feeling for the controls and how the drone reacts.
Earlier today I was wrapping up a very short practice flight, preparing to land I was hovering about 3 feed above a grass area, about to descent, when all of a sudden the thing went hurtling upwards into the branches of a tree! I quickly assumed an RTH had been activated somehow but I for sure didn't activate it. Doing so takes a long press on the RTH button or a click and a swipe on the iPad screen, and I absolutely know that I didn't do either of those things. After a few seconds the drone dropped to the ground ... then a few seconds later hurtled up into the tree again! I was clicking the RTH button to try to cancel, then it fell to the ground again! This time I grabbed hold of it - just in time before it tried to ascend for a third time! So now I've got my controller in one hand, and a drone at full throttle in the other - apparently not responding to commands on the controller. I tried everything I could think of but in deperation resorted to pulling out the battery. Nothing else seemed to make a difference.

According to the manual there are three reasons for an RTH:
  • Smart RTH (I didn't do that)
  • Low battery RTH (nope)
  • Failsafe RTH (I was less than 10 feet away!)

I realized that I could play back the fight in the flight log, and sure enough when I do so I see a messae pop up in the upper left corner saying "Tips: Return to home initiated" and the text at the upper left changes from "GPS" to "GoHome". This happens twice within a few seconds, just as I described earlier. Other things of note at the time the RTH are:

• Flight mode: GPS (P) with a good GPS signal (14 satellites)
  • Battery level 64%
  • Height: 3.3 feet
  • Horizontal speed: 0.0
  • Elapsed flight time: 3:34
  • Remaining flight time: 15:57

I have been going over this in my mind all evening and I just can't figure out what went wrong. Has anyone else out there experienced this, or can anyone suggest what may have gone wrong?

By the way, I did learn a valuable lesson ... don't at any time be underneath the branches of a tree, or anything else for that matter! Thankfully, despite falling out of a tree from maybe 12 feet a couple of times, no aparent damage was done.

Steve

2017-4-3
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Upload your logs to : http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/ and post a link here so that we can all have a look.  Follow the instructions on the page.

Something doesn't sound right, but there is probably an explanation in the log...
2017-4-4
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

this happen to my upair drone, which by the way i sent back for a full refund 7 months ago, and have not received a dime form that company.. they said there was some sort of disconnect with the remote and the drone,, and wanted me to fly it again and film it!!! this after it crashed and i had absolutely no control. I purchased my P4P and so far very happy. hope you get some answers..
2017-4-4
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, well welcome to flying.  That's crazy.  Ok one thing I will ask which likely has absolutely nothing to do with it,  but it's the only other time Iv'e seen something like this.. ...  Did you have your geofencing on, and what class airpace were you in?  What was your RTH height set at?    Lastly, did you have ANY intelligent modes on?   Just curious.   Sorry to hear about this man.  Really glad you are not dealing with any damage.
2017-4-4
Use props
Rene vd Meer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236781 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What was the distance between you and the P4P when the RTH happened?
2017-4-4
Use props
taurus35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136417 ft
United Kingdom

Rene vd Meer Posted at 2017-4-4 04:12
What was the distance between you and the P4P when the RTH happened?

He says it was less than 10 feet away in the first group of bullet points at the end.
I didn't think RTH worked that close & that it would just rise & hover? Which sounds like what it was trying to do.
2017-4-4
Use props
QiiFlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

RTH does not activate (unless there is an issue) if the aircraft is within 20 meters of the home point. If RTH activated within 20 meters of the home point, the aircraft would land, not ascend to the pre programmed RTH height.
2017-4-4
Use props
SteveIves
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57448 ft
United States

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-4-4 08:06
RTH does not activate (unless there is an issue) if the aircraft is within 20 meters of the home point. If RTH activated within 20 meters of the home point, the aircraft would land, not ascend to the pre programmed RTH height.

Yea, I would estimate I was less than 10 feet from the drone when it happened, but probably more than 20m from the takeoff point. Not sure about that, it would be close, but my guess is over 20m.

I'm on a business trip right now, but I'll try to get the logs uploaded over the weekend.

Really appreciate all the input.
2017-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules