Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My first nightscape with my P4P
2513 34 2017-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

There is lots of fantastic video footage taken using DJI kit by some really talented photographers.  Watching them has encourage me to learn a new skill, however as I am a still photographer by trade I thought I would start off by expanding on the skills I already have.  I enjoy doing night-scapes so decided to challenge the P4P in creating one of this photos.  On my third flight I went of practice somewhere safe and discovered a) how amazing the P4P was at keeping the camera stable, b) I had a few more things to learn in operational setting of the camera (probably best not done while learning to fly too).  I had gone through them before while the drone sat on my living room floor, propless, quietly purring away to itself (to the annoyance of the trouble and strife, ie. wife), however on my first night flight I find I needed to disable the front LEDs and some more things (like how to manual focus).  I also noticed some behaviour in traffic that I wanted to photograph properly again.  It's a whole new world up there and it's new and amazing for me.
While learning night flying at our local leisure park, I noticed the traffic flowing through two fast food chains with drive throughs. These drive throughs service cars full of hungry people. Watching the flow of traffic just made me think of our hearts, continuously pumping blood around our bodies, even while we sleep. The cars continuously flowing in and out as most of us sleep, especially as McDonalds is now open 24 hours here. Our hearts start pumping before we are born and keep on pumping throughout our lives. They are amazing organs that we should look after, and I just knew I needed to come back and take this photo once I'd learnt where the settings that I needed were.
I am really stunned at how good the P4P is at taking long exposures.. Great piece of DJI, thanks.

The Heart of The Drive Through - Basingstoke

The Heart of The Drive Through - Basingstoke

2017-4-5
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha pritchie,

Looks quite like a miniature set.  And with your heart correlation it is a quality comparison.  Nice job!  Your night-scape experience shows.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-5
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-4-5 01:46
Aloha pritchie,

Looks quite like a miniature set.  And with your heart correlation it is a quality comparison.  Nice job!  Your night-scape experience shows.

Thanks for your kind words and appreciation.
SP.
2017-4-5
Use props
paukstis91
lvl.1
Lithuania

Very nice picture! I think the main problem in night photography is the wind. If there no wind or it is little , than is no problem and you will get stunning shots.This was made a month ago
DJI_0009.JPG
2017-4-5
Use props
taurus35
First Officer
Flight distance : 136417 ft
United Kingdom

Awesome shot, I love this....well captured.
Can you let us know your settings for this, would love to give this a try one day.
2017-4-5
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.4

United States

That is a spectacular shot! How long of exposure did you use?
2017-4-5
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TPVAerials Posted at 2017-4-5 05:46
That is a spectacular shot! How long of exposure did you use?

Thanks for your kind comments.
The longest possible on the P4P of 8s..  It was taken over 20minutes and then stacked together.  I am thinking of doing a tutorial on it if people are interested.
2017-4-5
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

paukstis91 Posted at 2017-4-5 03:08
Very nice picture! I think the main problem in night photography is the wind. If there no wind or it is little , than is no problem and you will get stunning shots.This was made a month ago

Good stuff.. I see there is a river in the background.  Got to love rivers in night photography.
Yes wind is important, almost as important as planning.  I waited 3 nights for the best time.  
Going to try some more "standard" photography tricks with the P4P and see if I can achieve the same finish I get on a tripod.  So far the P4P has performed well above my expectations.  Dam it, I think I am hooked, DJI has become my new dealer and I am becoming a addronict.
2017-4-5
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

taurus35 Posted at 2017-4-5 03:36
https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/201704/04/154439o5u6r6exrsqbrxqx.jpg[/img]  

Thanks for your kind words..
It was a bit more than one set of settings, but the core settings are, manual exposure 8s, f4.5, ISO100, manual focus.  Multiple exposures then stacked into one.
The P4P in tripod mode is so good is means you can stack them, normally this is best done on a tripod.  I was amazed it was possible.   Got to think of more now for my next RPS distinction on "night lights".  Please share your photos with me, I find them inspirational.
Thanks tauras35, thanks all
2017-4-5
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

Awesome .
2017-4-5
Use props
taurus35
First Officer
Flight distance : 136417 ft
United Kingdom

pritchiedotcom Posted at 2017-4-5 07:41
The longest possible on the P4P of 8s..  It was taken over 20minutes and then stacked together.  I am thinking of doing a tutorial on it if people are interested.

Would love to see the tutorial when it's done.
Keep up the great work.
2017-4-5
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

My son's favourite word.. Thanks :-)
2017-4-5
Use props
Surrealplaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 908819 ft
Canada

Amazing to think this was taken from a machine hovering in the air. It turned out brilliantly. Well done.
2017-5-10
Use props
XiaoluChu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 735902 ft
China

Great job! Keep going! Congrats from China.
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

These are all really cool shots. Thanks for sharing, guys.
2017-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great job I love it, such vibrant colours.
2017-5-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

pritchiedotcom Posted at 2017-4-5 07:41

Count me in.
2017-5-11
Use props
chainmon
Captain
Flight distance : 2624892 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome SHOT!!!! Thank you for sharing
2017-5-11
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Captain
Flight distance : 1035125 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Really great picture! Inspiring, now I want to try out the long expose and nightscape! Thanks for this!
2017-5-11
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

pritchiedotcom Posted at 2017-4-5 12:29
My son's favourite word.. Thanks :-)

I wish I could take all the credit.  Yes I scouted, planned, choice the right settings and did the PP afterwards, however without DJI's P4P this work would have been a lot more expensive to create.
So I will take a bow for my part and thank DJI for theirs.
Then thank you for your kind words.  Greatly appreciated.
2017-5-12
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Surrealplaces Posted at 2017-5-10 18:27
Amazing to think this was taken from a machine hovering in the air. It turned out brilliantly. Well done.

Many thanks for your kind words.  Wow, it is cool to think someone in the wonderful country of china as seen my picture (visited a few years back, loved it).  You have such a beautiful and interesting country with so much photographic opportunities.  One day I hope to return.
2017-5-12
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-10 20:32
These are all really cool shots. Thanks for sharing, guys.

Thank you for your kind words.
2017-5-12
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-11 01:21
Great job I love it, such vibrant colours.

I try my best.. Thanks for your kind words.. Looking forward to creating some video footage soon as this will be all new to me.
2017-5-12
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

When I have time to do it I will I promise.  I will post a link here for everyone.
2017-5-12
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

chainmon Posted at 2017-5-11 11:48
Awesome SHOT!!!! Thank you for sharing

Thank you for your comment.. "Awesome" is my son's favourite word at the moment so it made me smile.
Thanks
2017-5-12
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Austevik Dronef Posted at 2017-5-11 13:43
Really great picture! Inspiring, now I want to try out the long expose and nightscape! Thanks for this!

Excellent.. I am so glad to have inspired others.. Go out there and do it, then please share your work with me here.  Many thanks for your kind comment!
2017-5-12
Use props
Capo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

Great photography. It's too bad that night flying is illegal in most countries. There are some amazing night time video footages on youtube as well from P4P's. The P4P really excels at night time imaging.
2017-5-12
Use props
Capo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

pritchiedotcom Posted at 2017-4-5 07:58
Thanks for your kind words..
It was a bit more than one set of settings, but the core settings are, manual exposure 8s, f4.5, ISO100, manual focus.  Multiple exposures then stacked into one.
The P4P in tripod mode is so good is means you can stack them, normally this is best done on a tripod.  I was amazed it was possible.   Got to think of more now for my next RPS distinction on "night lights".  Please share your photos with me, I find them inspirational.

Not sure if you've tried, but you can go up quite a bit on ISO before it gets grainy. That should open up a lot of possibilities.
2017-5-12
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Capo Posted at 2017-5-12 06:07
Not sure if you've tried, but you can go up quite a bit on ISO before it gets grainy. That should open up a lot of possibilities.

Yes, something I didn't do on my last night flight well taking video footage.  My P4P is still quite new so even though I know the basics of photography, I still need to learn where they are.  Unfortunately my battery had over ideas.  Thought 2 batteries would be ok.. I am thinking I need another, so I have 3.  Test scouting/flight, then two production flights.  Next paid day I suppose..
2017-5-12
Use props
greenwire
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38281 ft
United States

@pritchiedotcom Excellent work .... it is no doubt   AWEEESSSSOOOOOMMMMEEE
2017-5-12
Use props
PKPhantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275276 ft
United States

Amazing work! I love the shots. Thanks for sharing.
2017-5-14
Use props
Adam Flurk
First Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

wow. looks awesome. the long exposure stuff always looks cool. really need to try this! thanks for sharing!
2017-5-14
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Sort of a blend of the two.. Here is a video I did with a 4 second interval with 3 seconds worth of exposure..  
2017-5-14
Use props
SKY-CINEMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 754767 ft
Moldova

Very cool shot! I am planning for long to shot some places in my town on long exposure
2017-5-17
Use props
SRPitera
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40889 ft
United States

i'm VERY interested in learning this!
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules