Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying to Mexico and bringing my Mavic - Any tips for the plane r...
1259 6 2017-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Snap_Shot
lvl.1
United States

Hello everyone. I am traveling to Mexico next week for a wedding and I want to bring my mavic with me. I am flying jetblue.
I'm really looking for what to do and what not to do when bringing the mavic on board the plane. Any help is appreciated!

2017-4-7
Use props
PizzaFiend
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1489593 ft
United States

Carry it with you on the plane, and I recommend stowing it under the seat in front of you so that you can keep an eye on it. LiPo batteries are forbidden in checked luggage, but perfectly fine as carry on (as long as it's not in a Samsung Galaxy Note 7, which are not allowed on the plane at all).
2017-4-7
Use props
mstevens
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19078 ft
United States

In Mexico, though, they won't let you board a plane with batteries that aren't installed in a device.

I've seen expensive canister dive light batteries confiscated, coin batteries for dive computers, spare AA's, etc. confiscated. The airport near my home has a display case full of various confiscated batteries. People keep trying to travel with them, though.

I've bought an extra Power Bank Adapter. That turns a battery into a power bank, phone charger, etc. so it's now "installed in a device" and isn't a "loose battery". If that doesn't work, I'll go hand the spares to my wife and she'll take them back to the house, but most travelers to Mexico won't have that option.

At the very least, get some sort of battery terminal covers, carry the batteries in fire-retardant bags, wrap them individually in plastic wrap, and in general do everything you can to make clear that you take seriously the fact that these batteries pose some risks and that you're trying to minimize those risks.
2017-4-7
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.1
United States

mstevens Posted at 2017-4-7 09:39
In Mexico, though, they won't let you board a plane with batteries that aren't installed in a device.

I've seen expensive canister dive light batteries confiscated, coin batteries for dive computers, spare AA's, etc. confiscated. The airport near my home has a display case full of various confiscated batteries. People keep trying to travel with them, though.

thank you, i'll buy some lipo bags and battery port covers today
2017-4-7
Use props
Tripp
First Officer
Flight distance : 2241401 ft
United States

I went to Puerto Vallarta in February and was able to get through security o.k.  I had the fly more package in the DJI case inside a carry on backpack.  I  discharged the batteries to 30-40%, and taped up the contacts of the two not connected to the AC  with electrical tape and put them in ziplock bags.  I also saw another traveler on the way down with a phantom backpack, and when I got to the beach there was another tourist flying a Phantom 4.
I also had a 22000mAh portable LiPo battery with me that I put in my wife's carry on.
Maybe each airport in Mexico is different...

HTH
2017-4-7
Use props
4wesomeAdam
Second Officer
United States

Money talks in Mexico.

I don't know if FedEx would have issues with mailing a properly discharged battery to and from your hotel but that would be something to consider.
2017-4-7
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.1
United States

thanks for the replies. might ship them back to be safe
2017-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules