Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Intelligent battery question
1141 12 2017-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JeffP
lvl.4
United States

Hello. Wanted some clarity on the batteries for my Inspire 2
If I charge them to 100 percent do they immediately begin discharging to 65 percent for 10 days? Or will they sit for 10 days fully charged and then begin the auto discharge process after 10 days? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Jeff
2017-4-7
Use props
Viper Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

They stay charged until the 10 day start of discharge cycle.  You can select in the Go 4 app to shorten that charged state down to 1 day or anything longer if you want.  It seems to take about 3 days to discharge to 65% once that discharge cycle starts.  Also, if you press the battery button to check the state of charge it will reset the timer to zero for the countdown to discharge cycle to begin.
2017-4-7
Use props
JeffP
lvl.4
United States

Viper Pilot Posted at 2017-4-7 06:45
They stay charged until the 10 day start of discharge cycle.  You can select in the Go 4 app to shorten that charged state down to 1 day or anything longer if you want.  It seems to take about 3 days to discharge to 65% once that discharge cycle starts.  Also, if you press the battery button to check the state of charge it will reset the timer to zero for the countdown to discharge cycle to begin.

I am used to my regular lipo batteries. Normally I wouldn't keep a regular lipo charged for 10 days. Is the intelligent battery built to handle a full charge for 10 days. Any risk in this? Thanks for your help Jeff
2017-4-7
Use props
Viper Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

My personal opinion is it's not good to keep them fully charged for that long.  I usually set the discharge timer to 2-4 days before starting the discharge cycle.
2017-4-7
Use props
JeffP
lvl.4
United States

Viper Pilot Posted at 2017-4-7 07:10
My personal opinion is it's not good to keep them fully charged for that long.  I usually set the discharge timer to 2-4 days before starting the discharge cycle.

In the Go 4 App with .240 firmware I see 10 days as the minimum. My Mavic has fewer days in the setting. Not the Inspire2
Thanks Jeff
2017-4-7
Use props
lolders
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

I have never understood what this discharging meant..  I only charge my batteries if I know I will deplete them that day.  By the end of that day, I manually charge them or discharge them in my office to 3.85 volts per cell which is storage voltage for lipos..  I have always been scared that one day on a shoot the battery would refuse to work because it wants to discharge..  would that ever happen?  I have never noticed them discharge by themselves yet, they are just supposed to do it themselves?  Or is it only once they are in the charger.
2017-4-7
Use props
lolders
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

I have never understood what this discharging meant..  I only charge my batteries if I know I will deplete them that day.  By the end of that day, I manually charge them or discharge them in my office to 3.85 volts per cell which is storage voltage for lipos..  I have always been scared that one day on a shoot the battery would refuse to work because it wants to discharge..  would that ever happen?  I have never noticed them discharge by themselves yet, they are just supposed to do it themselves?  Or is it only once they are in the charger.  What happens when they start discharging, can you stop them?  And do they ever go all the way down to nominal voltage or is it just to storage?
2017-4-7
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

lolders Posted at 2017-4-7 10:05
I have never understood what this discharging meant..  I only charge my batteries if I know I will deplete them that day.  By the end of that day, I manually charge them or discharge them in my office to 3.85 volts per cell which is storage voltage for lipos..  I have always been scared that one day on a shoot the battery would refuse to work because it wants to discharge..  would that ever happen?  I have never noticed them discharge by themselves yet, they are just supposed to do it themselves?  Or is it only once they are in the charger.  What happens when they start discharging, can you stop them?  And do they ever go all the way down to nominal voltage or is it just to storage?

The auto discharge function is meant to take batteries down from 100% if and only if they are fully charged and not used for x days. X =10 by default but you can adjust this for each battery down to '1'. The charge is brought down by passing current through a resistor (generates heat) in the battery control circuitry.

This feature is meant to help you maintain battery life as Lithium batteries will degrade if left at 100% for more than a few days.

Auto discharge terminates once the power on button is pressed. So the scenario you are fearful of does not exist.
2017-4-7
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-7 18:05
The auto discharge function is meant to take batteries down from 100% if and only if they are fully charged and not used for x days. X =10 by default but you can adjust this for each battery down to '1'. The charge is brought down by passing current through a resistor (generates heat) in the battery control circuitry.

This feature is meant to help you maintain battery life as Lithium batteries will degrade if left at 100% for more than a few days.

What Mike says is correct but it is worth noting that if you are paranoid about the batteries and keep pressing the power button every couple of days to check on them, they will never go into self-discharge as each press resets the timer.
I have had mine for nearly two and a half years and my motto is, fully charge them before and after each flight, other than that, they look after themselves and all still have 90%+ battery life. The only time I manually discharge them is after every 10 flights when I'll take them down until they turn themselves off. Never had a problem.

Mark G.
2017-4-7
Use props
fans5fc68a07
lvl.1

Australia

One of my batteries has no power suddenly and won't charge. Anyone know anything? Inspire2
2017-4-8
Use props
lolders
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-7 18:05

Thank you!  So after every flight if I put the voltage to storage 3.85 v per cell, they will never do anything.
2017-4-19
Use props
lolders
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-4-7 21:42
What Mike says is correct but it is worth noting that if you are paranoid about the batteries and keep pressing the power button every couple of days to check on them, they will never go into self-discharge as each press resets the timer.
I have had mine for nearly two and a half years and my motto is, fully charge them before and after each flight, other than that, they look after themselves and all still have 90%+ battery life. The only time I manually discharge them is after every 10 flights when I'll take them down until they turn themselves off. Never had a problem.

I never leave my batteries fully charged, not even for a day. I will always put them to 3.85 storage voltage..  So the discharge should never do anything?
2017-4-19
Use props
fans11bb9c90
lvl.1
United States

Do they require a 95% depletion every few times you use them to keep them healthy and working at optimal performance? I recall with the I1 this was the case?
2017-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules