Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic started to fly away?
1797 17 2017-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi gang.

New pilot here...just getting comfortable flying so was having a practice in a wide open space.

All flight was within around 10 metres of me. No interference near by....solid gps signal...when suddenly...the controller started beeping and the mavic took off gaining altitude and heading for the country.

Scared the life out of me and no input i was trying would stop it.

My phone showed disconnected and the mavic light was showing a constant yellow flash.

I flicked sport mode on and off and it eventually stopped what it was doing and i was able to get the bird down but it scared the life out of me.

Any thoughts as to what i could have done wrong?

Andy
2017-4-8
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

The logs from the craft could say something - do a quick search to find out how to upload them and share a link to take a look. Most likely the logs from the phone will not say much due to disconnect but you could also share those - and then let's see ;-) And no - haven't had a case like this yet - but it can happen any day - hence the interest.
2017-4-8
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hey bud....thanks for the reply. Little ones birthday this afternoon with associated carnage party so will grab the logs and get them up later.

Cheers.
Andy
2017-4-8
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh yeah....you are right about the phone logs btw. I played back the flight In dji go and the ata stopped before the what is now known as "Brown pants moment". Lol.

I'm laughing now...but I will tell you this. I wasn't then

Andy
2017-4-8
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Try Look at page 12 in the manual:  www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads

Fast yellow flashing = Remute controller signal lost. Or slow yellow flasing = No GPS and forward vision and downwards vision systems.

I guess it was a quick flashing yellow light and your mavic was working on and rise to the RTH height you set. Subsequently it will try and go down to the place you have your RTH point set (H).

But why Mavic could not hear your controller I do not know.

It will always be a good idea and read through the manual several times!

Regards Leif.
2017-4-8
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi Leif....thanks for the reply buddy. I didn't mention that I had read the manual (while I was waiting for the mavic to be delivered) but I couldn't recite it if u am being honest. I guess I would say I have the fundamentals covered.

I just don't understand why it crapped out.

I guess the logs will tell

A
2017-4-8
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Yes hope so. You can also try playing your flight in the DJIgo4 APP and see the warnings there were given.  

Regards Leif.
2017-4-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Jinjur Posted at 2017-4-8 02:48
Hi Leif....thanks for the reply buddy. I didn't mention that I had read the manual (while I was waiting for the mavic to be delivered) but I couldn't recite it if u am being honest. I guess I would say I have the fundamentals covered.

I just don't understand why it crapped out.

It sounds like you lost radio connection, when this happens your AC will go into RTH mode it should first fly to the height you set and home to home point ,
If you lost gps it would just go to Atti mode and drift on the wind.
It all depends on what area you were flying in if there was strong interference. If your antennas are set properly, also remember flying directly overhead is not the best place for signal.
You can check in the app your flight and if there were signal warnings.
2017-4-8
Use props
PHL
Captain
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

I think some people have reported disconnection due to interference from their phone, especially in areas of poor phone reception as the phone goes into higher power mode to try and get a signal,lock. Was the phone signal good in that area?
2017-4-8
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Singapore

I agree with the others who say it seems like your RC lost comms with the Mavic. The first big question is, why did that happen at such a close range? I think some of the others have asked some good questions to start figuring that part out.

The second big question is, why did the Mavic start "heading to the country?" My first question to you: Did you make sure the Home Point was properly set at the takeoff location before you started the flight? YOu should also be able to verify this in your flight playback. If it shows that the Home Point was set, and if the H pin looks to be in the correct position on the map, then your Home Point should have been where the Mavic took off from. I assume you didn't intentional set a new Home Point during the flight? Is there any indication in the flight playback that a new Home Point was set?

Secondly, can you elaborate on the Mavic's exact behavior when it flew off? If it was indeed executing an RTH, it should have ascended to your set RTH altitude, turned to face the Home Point, and then flown (quite quickly) towards the Home Point. Does that sound like what it did? The most important clues here would be whether or not the Mavic made a very intentional turn/pivot before flying off, and whether or not the Mavic took off in a forward direction. If it didn't turn to change heading and/or flew sideways or backwards, then it's possible it was in ATTI mode at this stage and simply drifting away with the wind.
2017-4-8
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ok.....so i have pulled off a .DAT file 340 Mb in size.....that sound about right for a 4-5 minute flight?

Where do I go about dumping this? Dropbox or G Drive do?

Finally, someone mentioned mobile phone signal...........I think the phone struggles with 3g signal in that spot but standard GPRS or whatever is full signal.

A
2017-4-8
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-8 04:12
It sounds like you lost radio connection, when this happens your AC will go into RTH mode it should first fly to the height you set and home to home point ,
If you lost gps it would just go to Atti mode and drift on the wind.
It all depends on what area you were flying in if there was strong interference. If your antennas are set properly, also remember flying directly overhead is not the best place for signal.

Hi bud, you know......I am pretty sure I changed a setting on the remote to just hover in this instance but I will have to check.

My reasoning is that I am not entirely confident in the RTH functionality yet as haven't experimented with it and in all honesty, I am keeping it so close to me I don't need it to do so yet.

Does that make sense or am I being daft?

A
2017-4-8
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dropbox link do guys?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1rugd ... 8_17-57-17.DAT?dl=0

Regards
Andy
2017-4-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Jinjur Posted at 2017-4-8 09:43
Hi bud, you know......I am pretty sure I changed a setting on the remote to just hover in this instance but I will have to check.

My reasoning is that I am not entirely confident in the RTH functionality yet as haven't experimented with it and in all honesty, I am keeping it so close to me I don't need it to do so yet.

A bit daft, set your RTH to home point say 40m high, fly out 100m and hit RTH and see what happens try it a couple of times and you will get more confident if you need to use it.

Good luck..
2017-4-8
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-8 11:28
A bit daft, set your RTH to home point say 40m high, fly out 100m and hit RTH and see what happens try it a couple of times and you will get more confident if you need to use it.

Good luck..

I hear you bud
2017-4-8
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Singapore

I've had a look at your .dat file. I'm absolutely no expert at reading these, so I think somebody more experienced than myself should take a look, but I did try to look at the most important data. ie: GPS Health, Number of Sats, Flight Mode, GPS co-ords, Home Point co-ords. Here's what I gathered about the flight:

- A Home Point was record at takeoff (54.460049, -6.066034), and that HP does not appear to have been changed or reset at any point in the flight.
- Your GPS health was 4 or 5 bars through most of the flight, and it appears that at no point did the Mavic enter ATTI mode.
- The log shows a disconnect from the RC, and a few seconds later an auto RTH (as expected after loss of signal).
- The Mavic was about 8m away from the HP when RTH kicked in. At this distance (between 5m and 20m) the RTH height will automatically be 10m, regardless of what you set it to (you had it set to 30m).
- The Mavic flew up to 10m, then flew to the Home Point co-ordinates (54.46005, -6.06603),  and began the auto-landing sequence.
- It appears your RC regained connection during the landing sequence, and a subsequent flick of the Sport mode switch canceled the RTH/landing when the Mavic was about 6m from the ground.

Aside from your RC losing signal (harder to determine what caused that), I can't actually see anything wrong with the way the Mavic behaved. Does what I've interpreted from the .dat file match what you observed?
2017-4-9
Use props
geigy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 456381 ft
United States

Is it possible that you did not unfold the antennae?  I've done that more than once.  That could cause signal to be lost unexpectedly.
2017-4-10
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Apologies for the slow reply. Haven't been too well

Anyhoo. Jason.....that seems a fair assessment of events.......however, I would say that if it was RTH and did stop as it had arrived there......it was well out of whack. I was in the middle of the car park and the drone stopped across a main road and above the trees of a nearby forest. Looking at the Go app of the flight, the home point was set at the middle of the car park where I indeed started. I guess this was just a blip but I am still a little uneasy about the RTH behaviour and ultimately the disconnect which is more concerning.

The antennae were indeed folded out correctly geigy and as per the manual.

One thing I do know and can confirm is that the phone was not in airplane mode. My usual phone for flying is an old one that has a failed GPRS/GSM board so I have disabled phone functionality in a custom ROM. This was another phone I have that works so I think I may revert back to the other phone to try and regain confidence.

Thanks for the effort guys and solid feedback.

I will keep flying and trying, just getting confidence back in this bird

A
2017-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules