A Cure for the Hated Tablet Glare !!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ken Beland
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I fly a P3P using my Droid Tablet/Phone for the Go app, Consistantly hard to see screen due to glare, tired of seeing myself or the sky behind me so I had an epifany !
Installed the HDMI Module for FPV, (have Fatshark Glasses for my pocket rockets, but do not like the 720p limit the glasses provide for Phantom video) went out and bought a cheap ($80.00) 13" 1080p with 1 HDMI input LCD TV, came with a built in standand and runs on 12VDC. Also bought a Mini Max Jump Start Kit ($40.00 Ebay) to power the TV, plugged the Mini HDMI out from the module into the HDMI in on the TV, powered up the TV, set the FPV in the go app to Dual output, and wella, 1080p video on  LCD TV. Still use the Droid mounted to the controller to control Go app Functions & Paramiters.

Now it doesn't matter if I am in direct sunlight or shade, absolutely no glare, awesome picture !! ( Module also provides OSD ) Sit in my folding chair at the beach, sipping my favorite beverage, set the TV on a small folding table and fly away !!

This whole upgrade cost;
Module                                    $100.00 US
Mini to Full size 6' HDMI Cable   $  16.00 US
TV                                          $  80.00 US
Mini Max Power Supply             $  40.00 US   and it lasts a very very long time between charges

Total Upgrade Cost                  $ 236.00 and worth every penny of it.
2017-4-8
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Why not just try this Hoodaman or High Ariel  hood , both work great ,  they cost  about 100 dollars or less if you get them on sale. The Hoomdan is used by professionals at sporting events and I have seen them in use by camera operators at Michigan State football games.
HOODMAN  & HIGH-AERIAL  REVIEW , FOR THE GO APP DEVICE

Post #39 has the High ariel review in my lik above.   I own them both and like them about equally , You can really plant your face into the Hoodman though so maybe I like that one a bit better , the High arieal is very easy to put on and get to the controls .

*** I do like your idea as well and have used a similar set up , I just fiond these a very quick fix and it works great .  The cheaper sun shades are just toys comapred to these.

donnie

2017-4-8
Use props
Ken Beland
Second Officer
United States

Thanks Donnie, just took a look at it at Amazon, I prefer to be aware of my surroundings especially in public places nowadays. How would you change setting in the app on the fly? Picture on Amazon was all that great, are there openings in the side? Seems restrictive and somewhat cumbersome.
2017-4-8
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Wow, your solution the the glare problem is quite impressive! A bit heavy for my backpack though. Donnie is right about using a full hood when its really bright. But there is an intermediate solution which is quite lightweight and practical. Its the angled sunshade. The problem with most hoods is that they are at 90°, so that you see your own reflection. In fact the best angle is around 70°. A commercial version is made by Hoodivision . You can see a DIY example in my post on this old thread: Sunshade/Google/Asus Nexus 7 Recommendations.
Have fun & good flying!
2017-4-8
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

My solution was for no extra cost.  I took the box my Nvidia Shield came in and cut off one of the sides  Put it on top of the tablet in the r/c mount and it works perfectly.  Shielded from both sides and the top and a perfect fit.  I had used Velcro to fix the box top to the tablet, but don't really need it because the mount clamps tight enough by itself to hold everything in place.
2017-4-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

A cheaper way to beat the glare...
www.ghost-armor.com

RedHotPoker
2017-4-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The most effective glare protection is also the cheapest.
Fly from under a shady tree (after launching from out in the open for RTH reasons).
2017-4-8
Use props
JBinFla
lvl.2
United States

Do they make an HDMI module for the P4?  I like the idea of having a large TV for guests/bystanders to watch on.
2017-4-8
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

I got one of these and it worked really well - gives a nice matt effect with much less reflection

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EI5AST0/
2017-4-9
Use props
DaGunn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 203117 ft
United States

JBinFla Posted at 2017-4-8 18:15
Do they make an HDMI module for the P4?  I like the idea of having a large TV for guests/bystanders to watch on.

Yes, same as used with P3A/P3P controller.   
2017-4-9
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hoodman, is the best I have found. I have used many others that including the one by DJI

http://hoodmanusa.com/cgi/commer ... ion&key=HAV1KIT

Rich
2017-4-9
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

johnsr Posted at 2017-4-8 08:59
Wow, your solution the the glare problem is quite impressive! A bit heavy for my backpack though. Donnie is right about using a full hood when its really bright. But there is an intermediate solution which is quite lightweight and practical. Its the angled sunshade. The problem with most hoods is that they are at 90°, so that you see your own reflection. In fact the best angle is around 70°. A commercial version is made by Hoodivision . You can see a DIY example in my post on this old thread: Sunshade/Google/Asus Nexus 7 Recommendations.
Have fun & good flying!

I gave away the hoodvision, it did not work for me at all.  The Hoodman just works very time for me. I know that it is more expensive ... but I will not go back after having one of these setups

Rich
2017-4-9
Use props
FeariTself
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-8 11:26
A cheaper way to beat the glare...
www.ghost-armor.com

Does this actually work? I went to the website and searched youtube didn't see a single video of how it works. Only videos on how to install it.
2017-4-9
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

FeariTself Posted at 2017-4-9 15:12
Does this actually work? I went to the website and searched youtube didn't see a single video of how it works. Only videos on how to install it.

No they do not work for reducing glare.  It is more of a skin to help prevent scratching.
2017-4-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

'Installed the HDMI Module for FPV, (have Fatshark Glasses for my pocket rockets, but do not like the 720p limit the glasses provide for Phantom video) went out and bought a cheap ($80.00) 13" 1080p with 1 HDMI input LCD TV, came with a built in standand and runs on 12VDC. Also bought a Mini Max Jump Start Kit ($40.00 Ebay) to power the TV, plugged the Mini HDMI out from the module into the HDMI in on the TV, powered up the TV, set the FPV in the go app to Dual output, and wella, 1080p video on  LCD TV.'

I am afraid you may be misleading yourself if you think you are watching 1080p on the TV, as the output from the HDMI board is still only 720p: http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-hdmi-output-module
2017-4-9
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-4-9 14:32
I gave away the hoodvision, it did not work for me at all.  The Hoodman just works very time for me. I know that it is more expensive ... but I will not go back after having one of these setups

Rich

Thanks for the comment; I fully agree that the Hoodman is far better when you can use it. However I prefer to keep an eye on my craft (I usually fly alone) and find the the 70° shade a sufficient compromise. I would recommend those interested in that option to try out a DIY version to see if its OK in their situation.
2017-4-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

HWCM Posted at 2017-4-9 22:24
No they do not work for reducing glare.  It is more of a skin to help prevent scratching.

That's nonsense, you need to get the matte finish film... Haha

Unless you have tried it, you wouldn't know... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

FeariTself Posted at 2017-4-9 15:12

Yes, videos of it being used are not easy to find. ;-)

But it does the job intended.... Go to a kiosk near you to see it...

RedHotPoker
2017-4-11
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-11 12:11
That's nonsense, you need to get the matte finish film... Haha

Whatever guy, I have those too. They work to a point, but do not eliminate glare.
The link you posted is to some kind of wrap for the front and back of a phone. A phone wrap does nothing for glare.
I am sure you will figure it out...
Good luck.
I wish there was a way to block users on here.
2017-4-11
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

I agree that a hood like the hoodman is the only way to properly eliminate glare. I bought the PNY hood as well as the hoodman, and found hand access to my tablet much easier - plus it was a quarter of the price
2017-4-12
Use props
SimonH78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Make your own print-stick-fold-use !

DS-mobile.jpg
2017-4-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

HWCM Posted at 2017-4-11 22:53
Whatever guy, I have those too. They work to a point, but do not eliminate glare.
The link you posted is to some kind of wrap for the front and back of a phone. A phone wrap does nothing for glare.
I am sure you will figure it out...

Eh, sorry, that you are having a bad day, nothing I can do for you, there.
But I gave the general website address. Contact them for a near location, and buy the matte finish film.

Sorry too, that your sun glare removal experiences have not been to your liking. ;-)

Wishing you better luck in the future....

RedHotPoker
2017-4-13
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-13 11:01
Eh, sorry, that you are having a bad day, nothing I can do for you, there.
But I gave the general website address. Contact them for a near location, and buy the matte finish film.

No worries here, but no thank you. Those things just do not work and I do not want to waste money on them.
2017-4-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

HWCM Posted at 2017-4-13 21:55
No worries here, but no thank you. Those things just do not work and I do not want to waste money on them.

Just curious, if they don't work for you, why you bought a second one? ;-)

As for avoiding users here that you don't like, it's called ignore...

RedHotPoker
2017-4-15
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Personally I like Labroides suggestion 'cos it's the one I use too {:4_177:} Still have to sneak out and snatch returning craft though.
2017-4-15
Use props
WCBM
lvl.1
Canada

I'm a cheap German. I went to the Stationary and picked up a sheet of 3mm foam lined cardboard. Cut and taped it together for my Galaxy Tab. Works very well.
20170415_231550sm.jpg
20170415_231541sm.jpg
2017-4-15
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

"I am afraid you may be misleading yourself if you think you are watching 1080p on the TV, as the output from the HDMI board is still only 720p: http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-hdmi-output-module"

Absolutely Right Geebax, I forgot to mention the TV has an upscaling feature to 1080p ( probably not true 1080 ) but by adjusting brightness, contrast & sharpness the picture is soooo much better than the Fat Sharks and/or Tablet
2017-7-8
Use props
Drushgavnush
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Personally I think there is a lot of good advice on here for everyone's budget ,me protect your screen it's cheap and reduces glare ! Then shield it from the home made to the big pro tents as I call them it depends on your needs and personal preferences and how portable you want it ! Up scaled extra monitors are fantastic but a pain to lug around ! But wicked way of letting others also see what your up to.at home for family and friends 55 inch is the way to go ,yors is smaller but much more portable Thanks I'm going to give it a go (0;
2017-7-9
Use props
Drushgavnush
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Drushgavnush Posted at 2017-7-9 17:44
Personally I think there is a lot of good advice on here for everyone's budget ,me protect your screen it's cheap and reduces glare ! Then shield it from the home made to the big pro tents as I call them it depends on your needs and personal preferences and how portable you want it ! Up scaled extra monitors are fantastic but a pain to lug around ! But wicked way of letting others also see what your up to.at home for family and friends 55 inch is the way to go ,yors is smaller but much more portable Thanks I'm going to give it a go (0;

Sorry forgot to mention output to large screen via hdmi transmitter dongle ,you'll find them on eBay not cheap but great fun !
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules