Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
4G-LTE Network Connection Feature
14358 7 2017-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Desert Drone Pi
lvl.4

United Arab Emirates

Good day all,

Referring to the DJI website inspire 2 page under optional accessories to enhance performance, can anyone help enlighten me on this 4G - LTE Network connection feature other than the brief description already provided.

I do understand that is 'coming soon'

Some of my questions:

-How will this work?

-What other equipment will be needed?  

-Estimated costs?

-Will this work in countries outside of China and USA?

-Will this enhance connectivity, will it require a sim card?

-Will it be attached to the remote or the Inspire itself?

Any thoughts or news would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Capture1.PNG
2017-4-10
Use props
sharif0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The long distance control thing is likely for commercial operators that need advanced long range programmable control of their drones...think Amazon.  Amazon is building their own test network on their campus in Seattle to test this. But if Verizon got on board with this early, it would make sense for companies like Amazon and UPS to simple use the existing cell network.  Perhaps they are rightfully concerned with the reliably of a of a public cell network, rather than a dedicated fixed wiring system who's sole purpose is tracking and controlling drones.

But I degrees...for us end users, the 4G connection would require a USB style wireless LTE adapter like the one I plug into my laptop.  I also assume that a similar device would need to be plug into the I2's USB port as well so the two things can "talk" to each other. Sim cards would be required for both.  It's unclear if this  arrangement would allow for control and telemetry or if this would be just for the video uplink side.  It's a bright future but very early days.

2017-4-10
Use props
davidherries
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3768451 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

https://youtu.be/tocfkAq_wjg   Interesting to see them installing a SIM card wireless adaptor in RC in this video towards end..  
2017-4-18
Use props
fans9122d114
lvl.4
Flight distance : 252805 ft
  • >>>
United States

The way that this question just sits and sits with no response for almost a year is suspicious and alludes to the fact that DJI is hush hush about this tech with genpop.
2019-1-1
Use props
eggbeater
First Officer
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe the Feds call that "bait and switch".  Illegal in the USA but not to the Emperor.  Besides 4g is all but abandoned to 5g.  No western country wants the PLA to have access to 4g or 5g through anything manufactured in the PROC.  
2019-1-2
Use props
MichalSmith
New

India

I think they might charge extra for it or might charge for the service flight hub which may be compatible with Inspire 2
2019-5-7
Use props
DroneBandit
lvl.1
United States

davidherries Posted at 2017-4-18 09:14
https://youtu.be/tocfkAq_wjg   Interesting to see them installing a SIM card wireless adaptor in RC in this video towards end..

These are "enterprise" drones and like RTK & GNSS drones used for mapping & surveying work, they're operating in conjunction with a Ground Station (the 'projection system' for that 'wireless network'), and the Agra Drones are almost like something out of a sci-fi flick. Seen them in action once, it's like watching a team of well trained sheep, shoulder to shoulder, "mowing Your grass"(with their mouths). They know where they are, & where all other drones in the operation are as well, pretty scary actually.
The FIRST Thing that comes to mind is 'military applications'. They will eventually be the death of aerial crop dusting for certain.
As for Amazon/Google & others experimenting w/same, I saw a video a while back on how Azon does away w/'last mile' delivery drivers & UPS/Fedex/DHL, etc. It's a big rig(Tractor Trailer) that has arotating lids in the top of the trailer(which turn in to 'landing pads'), drones are attached to the lid & loaded w/packages by robots inside the trailer. Barcodes are read by the drone which program the address for delivery, the lid flips over & they all fly off to their various destinations & return to repeat until it's time to move to nxt. location. The TRUCK provides the Wireless Network for communication w/all drones which are simply following instruction for delivery, then a basic "RTH" feature.
It's coming.
WHEN it does, we're all out of the 'flying' business.
They'll OWN the airspace we currently enjoy.
2019-5-15
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

It was advertised for the Inspire 2 in it's introductory ads, however the small print eludes to the fact that you have to do your own programming for it to work, DJI does not provide the software, and actually there is no indication that the hardware has been provided either. Funny enough Parrot has a fixed wing UAS that works with 4G getting very long distances.
2019-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules